ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Steve Patterson's new legacy)

Had the same experience when we left our son with a babysitter for the first time to see Kevin Hart. You are so concerned about the child it's just not that fun

Re: Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Steve Patterson's new legac

Originally posted by Chewy1119:
A majority of athletes in basketball and football are African American, and it has been so for at least 25-30 years.

Meanwhile African American head coaches make up a startling minority. Something does not add up.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
So you're saying that Caucasians, Hispanics and Asians are discriminated against when it comes to skill positions??
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Am I the only one that doesn't consider Smart to be black? Seems like anyone who is racially mixed is referred to as black and I don't understand why.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by deserthorn1955:

Ketch, there is a difference in opinions and facts. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but you cant change the facts.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you believe OJ is a murderer?

Yes, but I cannot change the fact that he was acquitted. Hope you had a great Easter with your family. Have a great day.

Originally posted by Ketchum:

Originally posted by TexicanTone:
In defense of Stevie, the concert was Songs In The Key Of Life The Experience. All of the songs he sang were from that album and he did throw in Al Green and Michael Jackson later in the show as well as ending the night with some of his classics.
Superstition was the last song of the night.
The first hour and a half was slow out of the blocks. I shouldn't have to invest two-plus hours before the show picks up.
Just so we're clear ... you failed to know what you were walking into and then expect Stevie Wonder (musical genius) to accommodate you?

That's funny.

Last night my wife's band was playing their Sunday night residency show at The White Horse and several members of Stevie's band were in attendance. They said they were on an extended stay in Austin with Stevie and after her band's performance (which they loved) they wanted to finish the night with a jam session.

My wife was stoked!
This post was edited on 4/6 9:56 AM by TexicanTone

A majority of athletes in basketball and football are African American, and it has been so for at least 25-30 years.

Meanwhile African American head coaches make up a startling minority. Something does not add up.

well Texas is doing all it can and shockingly, so are Alabama and Texas a&m. so there's that.

Ketch, there is a difference in opinions and facts. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but you cant change the facts.

Do you believe OJ is a murderer?

Yes, but I cannot change the fact that he was acquitted. Hope you had a great Easter with your family. Have a great day.
I can't change that Zimmerman was protected by the law, but I still believe him to be a murderer.

Originally posted by CS:

Trying to draw equivalency between "guy," "dude," and "nigga" is some of the dumbest shit I've ever seen from you. You're not that stupid, Geoff. Don't give people reasons to think you are.
In this context, that's exactly what it meant.
Slap my forehead at people who don't understand this, Ketch. Talk about oblivious. Walk a mile in someone else's shoes, CS, why don't you? Seems to me you lack any shred of empathy altogether. Adjectives like "dumb" and "stupid" in this context are so off-base they might as well be in a different stadium.

Ketch is dead-on correct: where that kid grew up, that's exactly what it means.

Hook 'em.

Originally posted by texashero:

Originally posted by CS:

Trying to draw equivalency between "guy," "dude," and "nigga" is some of the dumbest shit I've ever seen from you. You're not that stupid, Geoff. Don't give people reasons to think you are.
In this context, that's exactly what it meant.
Slap my forehead at people who don't understand this, Ketch. Talk about oblivious. Walk a mile in someone else's shoes, CS, why don't you? Seems to me you lack any shred of empathy altogether. Adjectives like "dumb" and "stupid" in this context are so off-base they might as well be in a different stadium.

Ketch is dead-on correct: where that kid grew up, that's exactly what it means.

Hook 'em.
You are missing the point as well. Who gets to adjudicate intent in the court of public opinion? If you think white kids who say nigga because they hear it on the songs they listen to are using it in a 1940s Mississippi sense, you are a moron. They mean it in the exact same sense Harrison does, but we are going to lose our collective shit if they say it in the same context as Harrison.

Originally posted by streettopeschel:

well Texas is doing all it can and shockingly, so are Alabama and Texas a&m. so there's that.

So... three school's out of hundreds... That is exactly the point. Thank you!

Originally posted by jamimer:

Am I the only one that doesn't consider Smart to be black? Seems like anyone who is racially mixed is referred to as black and I don't understand why.
Classified by your father so Obama and Smart are labeled as black.

Originally posted by AkakHorn:

Originally posted by ZLonghorn99:
I don't understand your brush off on the double standard comment. I just flat out do not understand your position.
Because he's a race baiter that only allows one position, his own.
No, I just think this is an incredibly silly thing/position to be fighting for. Again, do we want to start counting double standards all of a sudden?

We're going to be here for a while.

BTW, your silly race baiter comment reflects more onto you than me.
I love the white male victim card play. I just can't believe that history has ignored all the struggles us white males have gone through. There is no double standard here. To imply there is a double standard is a stretch at best.

no, that wasn't my point. in my lifetime, a black kid couldn't attend any of those 3 schools and then for some years after that they couldn't play sports there. the thought of any of them having a black head coach (much less two) was unthinkable. yet, here we are.

Originally posted by CS:

echeese, I don't have the want-to or the time to get into it with you today.

Frankly, you can just stay out of all threads that involve my content if you want moving forward. I'm more than ok with that.
I'm saying this as somebody who supports your career: check yourself, Geoff. You are a flaming liberal whose base of subscribers is not. You'd do well to marginalize your politics here.
This

Originally posted by snowman2013:

Originally posted by AkakHorn:

Originally posted by ZLonghorn99:
I don't understand your brush off on the double standard comment. I just flat out do not understand your position.
Because he's a race baiter that only allows one position, his own.
+1
+1000

no, that wasn't my point. in my lifetime, a black kid couldn't attend any of those 3 schools and then for some years after that they couldn't play sports there. the thought of any of them having a black head coach (much less two) was unthinkable. yet, here we are.
Those schools have made incredible changes. And it is amazing how far they have come, but that still does not explain the parity. Confirmation bias and handpicking a few southern schools does not change my original point. If that came off condescending, I apologize.

Originally posted by El Che Guevara:
I really wish Ketch would keep away from making comments having to do with race/double standards or really anything political for that matter. More times than not you end up with a big egg on your face
lulz

Yeah, as opposed to those that are so up in arms over this issue.

I'm going to need someone to explain why it's such a big deal.
Its a big deal to some, I suppose, because having to talk about racial disparities makes some people uncomfortable. Its why some have made a false equivalency of Harrison's comment and (presumably) the SAE party bus theme song. Harrison showed poor judgment and was wrong to use the word, but its not the same as uttering the same word in the same refrain with hanging a black man from a tree. Anyone pretending it is the same should take a deeper dive into the matter.

Having spent many years at UT as an undergrad, grad student and now active alum/lecturer, I can certainly see value in discussions on this board about race and sports. Ti suggest that talking about race is political is short-sighted at best, ignorant at worst. Race is reality. It doesn't have to make people uncomfortable in discussing matters. I suppose discomfort stems from people's own insecurities and feelings about the matter that they'd rather not share for fear of being labeled. But when its out there, civil discourse can be very helpful to understand the disparities that Ketch highlights. However, It could be that some people are wedded to their position and are not interested in acknowledging a different perspective.

Originally posted by michiganhorn02:
Originally posted by joepaterno:
Ketch had to have been livid seeing that pasty Wisky team win last night. He apparently has a lot of white guilt in his heart. Really irritating to see race embedded in a continuous narrative on OB.

Totally agree. Orangebloods is becoming MSNBC. The site needs to stay on sports and keep politics on the Corral.

You can't even get into the politics of race in the Corral. A dissenting opinion is safe nowhere on this site. You either take the prevailing extremist left or PC position or you risk getting a time out. Speaking from experience.

What happens around here is a microcosm of the same intolerance of viewpoint diversity that our society is sick and dying from already.

Just look at our awesome new BB coach. The man is 90% white yet he's labeled as Texas' first "black" BB coach. Why even do that? WTF is wrong with the constant racial politics here and the need for it to align with a certain narrative or off with your head?

\\m//

Ketch - Props - the shit storm came your way and you defended your position, making some good points along the way.

It is a shame that as a country, we seem more devided by race now than we did 20 years ago - or maybe I wasn't aware of it 20 years ago and it was worse or just as bad and maybe, it is just necessary pain of the overall process to get where we want to go -

I was actually hopeful that the generation of my nieces and nephews would be the first generation without racial slurs but apparently that will have to wait. Perhaps their kids will get to live in that world.

Originally posted by Rigel Kent:

Originally posted by michiganhorn02:

Originally posted by joepaterno:
Ketch had to have been livid seeing that pasty Wisky team win last night. He apparently has a lot of white guilt in his heart. Really irritating to see race embedded in a continuous narrative on OB.

Totally agree. Orangebloods is becoming MSNBC. The site needs to stay on sports and keep politics on the Corral.

You can't even get into the politics of race in the Corral. A dissenting opinion is safe nowhere on this site. You either take the prevailing extremist left or PC position or you risk getting a time out. Speaking from experience.

What happens around here is a microcosm of the same intolerance of viewpoint diversity that our society is sick and dying from already.

Just look at our awesome new BB coach. The man is 90% white yet he's labeled as Texas' first "black" BB coach. Why even do that? WTF is wrong with the constant racial politics here and the need for it to align with a certain narrative or off with your head?

\\m//

so which 10% of him is black?

Typical Ketch race baiter piece. It's what he writes about to get more and more clicks (like this). Sad that everything with him is only about race.

I didnt even think of race when we hired Smart or Strong, just that they were damn good coaches. Guess some people are just more evolved

I love both hires Patterson has made.

Couldn't be happier that Kentucky is denied the chance to complete a perfect season. Good riddance.

Go Wisconsin!

7-5 is what I'm feeling right now. Hopefully the O-line and QBs can continue to progress and one be markedly better than the other come South Bend. I don't care who it is, and we're likely going to need both guys this year anyway. The O-line improving will go a long way in helping the QBs be successful.

It's still ok to talk about actual sports in this thread right? :p

Originally posted by Rigel Kent:

\\m//

I don't even know where to begin, so I won't.

Originally posted by Dgjuarezz:
I would hate to find out that the company I work for hired me solely for being a minority. Someone shouldn't be hired just for the color of their skin or lack thereof. They should be hired because of the talent, experience and skill.
a. Nobody other than you is suggesting this took place with Smart.

b. I agree with your last two sentences. It would be ideal if the world viewed the world through such a prism, but sadly the numbers would indicate that the ideal doesn't really exist.
As far as b. goes, which coaches at the top programs would you replace, and which black coaches would you replace them with?

Simply because there is a white coach at a top program does not mean that he is not the right coach for the job or is not the most qualified. It would be ideal if YOU viewed the world through the prism of "Who is the most qualified for this job?" and stopped grinding your ax by focusing solely on what the coaches look like.

Out of curiosity, out of all the people you've hired for the website since its inception, how many people have you employed? How many of those reporters were black or female? Are you practicing what you preach?

Ketch,

I understand what you are saying about context, but when commenting on a person from another race, using racial language like that is offensive and inappropriate. That was the context here. I also don't like that language used in communication between two AA people either because I think it minimizes a serious problem in the history of our country--and one that still lingers today. However, when it is used in reference to a person of another race, then the reaction should be equal to that when the tables are turned (if a white person uses it against an AA). The frustration you hear in this thread is in response to the fact that the reaction is not anywhere near equal to what it would be if the situation were reversed (a double standard), and you minimized that in your comments.

As for the rest of your write up, I enjoyed it as always. Smart is an incredible hire, and I love the fact that Patterson has now hired the two best coaches available, regardless of race. That's how progress is made, and I am proud that my University is making it.

How quickly do you think Smart can right the ship? We have a decent roster now, and you only need about 8 good players to make a deep run. I'm hoping for next year, but it may be a little longer than that. What say you?

"Just look at our awesome new BB coach. The man is 90% white yet he's labeled as Texas' first "black" BB coach. Why even do that? "
---------

who considers him 90% white? I saw plenty of discussion around twitter from Media folk talking about it being noticeable Texas has two African American head coaches for football and basketball, and how that was a good thing.

I hope someday that isn't even an issue anymore, but this country has not reach that point where color makes no difference. It still has a ways to go sadly

I think Steve Patterson killed it with the Smart hire, and from everything I've seen reported in the past by people who would know Charlie Strong was certainly his guy all along.

For all the crying about Ticket prices on here I think Patterson has passed as big a test as he will prob ever see at UT in hiring to replace both football and basketball head coaches with top quality people. Its not an easy task

Originally posted by TexasLawnghorn:
As far as b. goes, which coaches at the top programs would you replace, and which black coaches would you replace them with?

Simply because there is a white coach at a top program does not mean that he is not the right coach for the job or is not the most qualified. It would be ideal if YOU viewed the world through the prism of "Who is the most qualified for this job?" and stopped grinding your ax by focusing solely on what the coaches look like.
a. The issue is that when those jobs open up, they rarely are given to black coaches. Most don't even consider black candidates.

b. I never said and wouldn't say that many of the top college coaches aren't qualified for their jobs.

c. The bigger and most important point is that we don't live in a world where the most qualified people get jobs. Other filters come into play and have for a very long time. Let's not be naive.

Originally posted by TexasLawnghorn:
Out of curiosity, out of all the people you've hired for the website since its inception, how many people have you employed? How many of those reporters were black or female? Are you practicing what you preach?
Off the top of my head, we've probably had 10 ior so people that work/write for the site.

The former CFO of the business was black. The current lead football writer is black. The head of our video department is a woman.

c. The bigger and most important point is that we don't live in a world where the most qualified people get jobs. Other filters come into play and have for a very long time. Let's not be naive.
Do you have some examples you can share?

Originally posted by CS:

Do you have some examples you can share?
Well you could look at the gender gap for one, including both the wage gap and gap in management positions. White men have a HUGE advantages in interviews, and it's not really debatable.

Originally posted by GT-59:

Typical Ketch race baiter piece. It's what he writes about to get more and more clicks (like this). Sad that everything with him is only about race.

I didnt even think of race when we hired Smart or Strong, just that they were damn good coaches. Guess some people are just more evolved
a. What did you specifically deem to be race bait in the opening section o this column? Please be specific.

b. Just for the record, not everything is about race, but I don't close my eyes to the issues.

c. You might not have thought of race when they were hired, but the issues I wrote about exist and are important. Just ask your head coaches. I'd bet some cash they agree with me more than you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT