ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball

Cal was great before all the elite one and done prospects. He was great when top players needed a school to prepare them for the NBA for 2-3 years. I’m not convinced that he would be successful in the current NIL environment. To me, the college game has passed him by and he’s struggling to remain relevant. He’s not nearly as effective a recruiter as Chris Beard and his staff. If we reach an agreement with him we may lose Holland and Johnson. We would essentially be rebuilding yet again. Plus he’s well into his 60’s already.

Cal is going to use us for one more huge pay day. It’s either going to be from us or Kentucky.

His team isn’t even in the top 25 this year. UK may quietly hope we take him.

Just seems like an Aggie move on our part.

Eric Musselman or Royal Ivey please.
I understand that muss and Ivey are probably the best choices but they are meh.....

If they make a sweet 16, I will watch. Otherwise, there are better things to do. The Texas administration will quickly learn this when the coach is a standoffish dude that expects butts in the stands. Musselman is a little weird and Ivey has very little in common with the average student at Texas. His personality is prickly.

How about Billy Clyde Gillispie? That'd flip aggy and techie minds.😄
He coaches them up big on defense.
Would definitely be a hit with Texas coaches.

Last edited:
Reactions: diadevic
He’s not nearly as effective a recruiter as Chris Beard and his staff.
According to Rivals, the nos. 2, 3, 6 and 8 players in the country will be going to Kentucky next fall. One and done is not the way to build a champion (see BU last year and this year), but Calipari can still recruit elite talent. That said - don't do it!

According to Rivals, the nos. 2, 3, 6 and 8 players in the country will be going to Kentucky next fall. One and done is not the way to build a champion (see BU last year and this year), but Calipari can still recruit elite talent. That said - don't do it!
If we get Cal, then hopefully some of those recruits come with him.
Perhaps a change of scenery may do him some good like it did with Rick Barnes.
I'm just not sure he's as effective in the current environment but I could be wrong. I'm also concerned about his age and his past accusations of paying players. The one advantage he had back in his heyday (paying players) has been taken away from him with NIL now legal.
Coaching in the SEC all these years may be useful for UT as we transition to the SEC in 1-2 years.

Cal is definitely getable he was asked about the Texas job on a radio show today and said “I haven’t talked to anyone”. Could have put it to bed. Didn’t. If he’s the guy CDC settles on he can be had.

So, I just watched Kentucky lose to a terrible South Carolina team… First I’ll say, I have no idea why Texas would want Calipari, I’m certain you can do better. Also, earlier I said I was confident UK wouldn’t go after Beard. Well, things are getting REALLY BAD here. So, Beard may actually be considered. IMO. Anyway, looking forward to Texas joining the SEC. Should be a lot of great games football and basketball.

So, I just watched Kentucky lose to a terrible South Carolina team… First I’ll say, I have no idea why Texas would want Calipari, I’m certain you can do better. Also, earlier I said I was confident UK wouldn’t go after Beard. Well, things are getting REALLY BAD here. So, Beard may actually be considered. IMO. Anyway, looking forward to Texas joining the SEC. Should be a lot of great games football and basketball.
I think Beard will have to take a “lesser” job to rebuild his image a bit. I don’t think he’ll be able to just fall in to a blue blood. That’s historically not how things work.

I don’t think Calapari is the best option. If I were going to poach a coach it would probably be Mussleman, Pearl, Tang or Gates. With that said I don’t think what’s going on at Kentucky right now is indicative of how Cal would do at Texas. I think he would do well. I just think sometimes things run their course at a certain place and it’s time to move on. Texas went through that with Barnes and Mack, and I think Cal and Kentucky are at that point.

Reactions: cat tat2
The dropoff from beard is remarkable.

No one there to chew their ass for not playing defense.

Big 12 basketball

Gutty win. Lot of dudes stepped up. Allen. Carr. Mitchell. Rice is my favorite clutch ft shooter for us EVER.

The dropoff from beard is remarkable.

No one there to chew their ass for not playing defense.
No we won 79/75.

Btw there slick Rodney Terry recruited a lot of Beard's players for him.

It appears to me that our players are behind Coach Terry.

So can we stop this John Calapari on the brain bullshit?

No we won 79/75.

Btw there slick Rodney Terry recruited a lot of Beard's players for him.

It appears to me that our players are behind Coach Terry.

So can we stop this John Calapari on the brain bullshit?
2300 is just pushing his agenda. He thinks now that Texas fired Beard there are only about 6 coaches in the entire world that can win here so we might as well shut down the program. He’s a moron

Reactions: outhereincali
Nice comeback but this team plays flatfooted early. We can't continue that type of play and finish the season strong. TCU is a decent team but we shouldn't ever be down to them by 18. No, I have no agenda.

The Tech fans said the same thing when Beard left:
2300 is just pushing his agenda. He thinks now that Texas fired Beard there are only about 6 coaches in the entire world that can win here so we might as well shut down the program. He’s a moron

Tech said it was their current coach that did all the heavy lifting and beard was the front man.... ok whatever. Tech now sucks without Beard. If Terry is the coach next year, we will not be good. Why do you hate Chris Beard?

Texas out scores TCU by 22 points from the time they went down by 18. They finally turned up their defense towards the end of the 1st half. Tale of two halves. They dominated the 1st half and we rolled them in the 2nd half. Great win but we have to consistently put two halves of elite defense if we expect to make a deep run in the tournament. We have the players that can get it done but they can’t seem to do it for 40 minutes. The OSU and Gonzaga games were the only games I recall where they put together elite defensive performances for the full 40 minutes.

Reactions: 2300 Nueces
Nice comeback but this team plays flatfooted early. We can't continue that type of play and finish the season strong. TCU is a decent team but we shouldn't ever be down to them by 18. No, I have no agenda.

The Tech fans said the same thing when Beard left:

Tech said it was their current coach that did all the heavy lifting and beard was the front man.... ok whatever. Tech now sucks without Beard. If Terry is the coach next year, we will not be good. Why do you hate Chris Beard?
I don’t hate Chris Beard. I just don’t think he’s gods gift to basketball coaching. There are plenty of good basketball coaches that would win here. The idea that because Texas moved on from Chris Beard so now they are screwed is just a moronic take. The idea that you are blaming everyone but Chris Beard for him not being the coach is equally moronic

Reactions: outhereincali
Texas out scores TCU by 22 points from the time they went down by 18. They finally turned up their defense towards the end of the 1st half. Tale of two halves. They dominated the 1st half and we rolled them in the 2nd half. Great win but we have to consistently put two halves of elite defense if we expect to make a deep run in the tournament. We have the players that can get it done but they can’t seem to do it for 40 minutes. The OSU and Gonzaga games were the only games I recall where they put together elite defensive performances for the full 40 minutes.
We have people on this board that think winning championships is about offense. Quit using that boring word, "defense". Texas was not blocking the basket and we weren't driving the basket in the first half. This team looked like a Shaka Smart team in the first half.

What could make this week worse for TCU sports fans..?

In all seriousness, TCU has a helluva basketball team. They’re going to be a problem this year for the Big 12 and into the tournament. I wouldn’t be surprised to see them make the sweet 16. Mike Miles is a baller!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT