ADVERTISEMENT

CFB coach firings / hirings, 2018-19

Something about SC that's a mystery to me. From 1976 to '82 they had incredible teams. Then there was the Pete Carroll era. But both times they were cheating big time and it's set their program back. Why does SC do things that they dont have to? SC is a blue blood and they're in L.A.. If somebody has a reasonable explanation I'd like to hear it.

I'll answer your question with a question. How do state schools with smallish recruiting bases like Alabama, Oklahoma, Nebraska(past), Ohio, and Pennsylvania dominate for long stretches of time? Hint: they have something in common with Pete carrol, Barry switzer, Jim tressel, and Jackie sherril.

If there is no death penalty, there is no reason to not cheat 100% of the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: oldhorn2
It would have been silly to fire Clay Helton. I think it would do TT some good to go a different direction. You know pay attention to defense and the running game for once.
I don't think KK was the problem. I think Tech just needs to be in the AAC or Mountain West conference. It doesn't really belong in a power 5. If they had a Boone Pickens type donor that would put insane amounts of money into the program, then maybe, they could be like Okie Lite (Which I consider a successful program).

David Beaty helping us out this week on game planning for ou? I think it’s happing.

I don't think KK was the problem. I think Tech just needs to be in the AAC or Mountain West conference. It doesn't really belong in a power 5. If they had a Boone Pickens type donor that would put insane amounts of money into the program, then maybe, they could be like Okie Lite (Which I consider a successful program).

I disagree because from what I understand they've upgraded their facilities. They have a decent sized stadium, and what impresses most is they have a solid fanbase. They usually sell out and their fans travel well for bowl games. They brought 15 to 20 thousand fans to the Alamo Bowl one year. I really think they want to compete but they've never been able to find the right coach. This time they should go the opposite way and hire a coach who has no previous ties as a coach or player. Brent Venables comes to mind. From what I've understood he's bought a home in Clemson, SC but if they make him an offer he can't refuse maybe he'll come.

I disagree because from what I understand they've upgraded their facilities. They have a decent sized stadium, and what impresses most is they have a solid fanbase. They usually sell out and their fans travel well for bowl games. They brought 15 to 20 thousand fans to the Alamo Bowl one year. I really think they want to compete but they've never been able to find the right coach. This time they should go the opposite way and hire a coach who has no previous ties as a coach or player. Brent Venables comes to mind. From what I've understood he's bought a home in Clemson, SC but if they make him an offer he can't refuse maybe he'll come.
Good points. It just seems to me that if they will always have mediocre seasons because they can't recruit with the blue bloods. On the occasion that they hire somebody that does well, he will be hired away and it is a rinse and repeat cycle.

it was a dumpster fire the first time he took it. If he does get KK as OC and GC as DC, then he might be on to something.

It is the perfect situation for him. ACC is arguably the worst conference if you take Clemson out. Should be an easier path to take them to 9 wins year after year in that conference.

Mack does this in 3 years and then retires. He can be the only coach to have his bust in front of 2 stadiums.

I can't believe he's back in coaching.... I thought he'd ride off into the sunset. I Guess he really missed it!

Getting kliffy to come to chapel Hill will be a little tough sledding. I think kliffy still thinks he's a division 1 head coach.....

I'm hearing that Kendal Briles will be named the next Texas State head coach. Also hearing that Tech is making a serious push for Major and if he should leave UH, the Coogs are interested in KK.

I'm hearing that Kendal Briles will be named the next Texas State head coach. Also hearing that Tech is making a serious push for Major and if he should leave UH, the Coogs are interested in KK.
Jesus, can Houston ever keep a coach long enough to see his own recruits graduate?

UH is a steppingstone job, not a destination job. This drives UH fans nuts, but it is what it is.

ADVERTISEMENT