ADVERTISEMENT

CFB coach firings / hirings, 2018-19

Not to interrupt the discussion of the train wreck that is the Sodbuster coaching staff, but Paul Johnson is stepping down as head coach at Georgia Tech. I have a vested interest in the Ramblin' Wreck as my son is a freshman there. If you were GT AD, who do you pursue?

PJ did well at Tech he took GT to 2 Orange Bowls winning once. As far as being a coach at GT I would think living in a city like Atlanta for a few years would be a plus. But shouldn't they go a different direction from a triple option offense? I just don't know. I'll wager they will hire a coach with a southern background.

I think the reports are that GA Tech wants to move away from the Flexbone. It also appears as the Synder is stepping down, Robinson will be the DC at UNC and Kingsbury is a heavy favorite to be the OC at USC.

I think the reports are that GA Tech wants to move away from the Flexbone. It also appears as the Synder is stepping down, Robinson will be the DC at UNC and Kingsbury is a heavy favorite to be the OC at USC.

If GT tries to hire a spread guy, it is going to be a rough transition...like really bad IMO. But I've been wrong many times, lol.

Who in the world is KState going to look at? Maybe go the route of Tech and get a successful mid-major coach? Maybe look at Mike McIntyre...the guy won 11 games at San Jose St. for goodness sakes.

I thought KK to USC was a done deal?

For all of KK's struggles as a head coach, that dude can flat out coach offense. And you give him the resources and the talent of a USC and that could get dangerous. If Helton can make sure that Kliff doesn't take all of the scholarships put them on the offensive side of the ball!

If GT tries to hire a spread guy, it is going to be a rough transition...like really bad IMO. But I've been wrong many times, lol.

Who in the world is KState going to look at? Maybe go the route of Tech and get a successful mid-major coach? Maybe look at Mike McIntyre...the guy won 11 games at San Jose St. for goodness sakes.

I thought KK to USC was a done deal?

Football scoop is reporting that it isn't as done as some in the media are saying. Shefter is reporting that GA Tech is interviewing Ken Whisenhunt

Reactions: weevilcatch
Yeah if they go Whisenhunt next year is going to be brutal for them.

Yeah. Whisenhunt brings some lineage with him but damn it's hard to recruit against Georgia and "Bama. Basically you've got Stanford academic standards with a lot less investment in the program. Still, there are a lot worse places to work than Atlanta. Personally I think their best chance to compete is to keep working that triple option offense. Most teams only encounter it once a year at most and it plays havoc with their defensive preparation. You can also run it with the mid-tier athletes that GT seems to get the most out of....

Reactions: BringBackRoyal
Yeah. Whisenhunt brings some lineage with him but damn it's hard to recruit against Georgia and "Bama. Basically you've got Stanford academic standards with a lot less investment in the program. Still, there are a lot worse places to work than Atlanta. Personally I think their best chance to compete is to keep working that triple option offense. Most teams only encounter it once a year at most and it plays havoc with their defensive preparation. You can also run it with the mid-tier athletes that GT seems to get the most out of....

Everything you just said. Moving away from the flexbone would be a bad, bad idea, IMO.

Reactions: freeper
I think TT made the right kind of hire. For the first time since Spike Dykes walked the sidelines defense and the running game will finally matter again. And from what I've read they have, at least by their standards, a good recruiting class. If Matt Wells can add on to it by signing day he's off to a good start.

I think TT made the right kind of hire. For the first time since Spike Dykes walked the sidelines defense and the running game will finally matter again. And from what I've read they have, at least by their standards, a good recruiting class. If Matt Wells can add on to it by signing day he's off to a good start.
I haven't kept up with the ins and outs of their recruiting but I think in the last few days I have seen 3 on twitter decommit

I haven't kept up with the ins and outs of their recruiting but I think in the last few days I have seen 3 on twitter decommit

Why would those kids leave without talking to their new coach? That's strange

Last edited:
He made a bold statement by saying Tech would be playing in the conference championship game next year.

Why would those kids leave without talking to their new coach? That's strange
I think the kids who Kliff signed or had committed would give their left arm fro Kliff. I truly believe the kids loved him. That is why you saw some of the stuff from the players on social media after he was fired. Plus, does the new guy run a different system or style? Also to consider, I don't know how many (if any) of these kids were contacted by the new staff and said "meh, I think we are good here"

Agreed. No-brainer first option, IMO.

I disagree. GT needs to ditch that triple option and join this century at some point. Yes it will be a long rebuild, as they have not a soul on campus recruited for a modern offense, but I mean, c'mon, it's not like they're tearing it up as it is. I say it's worth a few more bad years to get out of the triple option trap they're in.

I think the kids who Kliff signed or had committed would give their left arm fro Kliff. I truly believe the kids loved him. That is why you saw some of the stuff from the players on social media after he was fired. Plus, does the new guy run a different system or style? Also to consider, I don't know how many (if any) of these kids were contacted by the new staff and said "meh, I think we are good here"

He's only been there since Thursday he hasn't had the time to get with them. And he'll definitely run a different offense than KK.

I disagree. GT needs to ditch that triple option and join this century at some point. Yes it will be a long rebuild, as they have not a soul on campus recruited for a modern offense, but I mean, c'mon, it's not like they're tearing it up as it is. I say it's worth a few more bad years to get out of the triple option trap they're in.

That's a reasonable position, but I think GT needs to recognize that they're not likely to ever tear it up on any consistent basis in present-day college football and stick with the formula that has at least made them reasonably competitive in the present environment. That "triple-option trap" they're in has brought them two of their only four 10-plus-win seasons in more than six decades.

GT resides in the most cutthroat recruiting zone in the country and is disadvantaged both by much higher admission standards for student-athletes than all of its neighbors, and by the fact that, despite being an elite university, it doesn't have the cachet and national draw that ND and Stanford do (to name two others with admission standards well above the NCAA minimums for athletes). Nor does it have the institutional backing that those two programs have.

The triple option is a serious pain for GT's opponents to prepare for, given that they'll only see it -- or anything like it -- once per regular season. The offense significantly mitigates the major and permanent structural recruiting disadvantages GT suffers both by being difficult to prepare for and because the system doesn't require the types of recruits everyone is fighting for in order to be run effectively.

Last edited:
That's a reasonable position, but I think GT needs to recognize that they're not likely to ever tear it up on any consistent basis in present-day college football and stick with the formula that has at least made them reasonably competitive in the present environment. That "triple-option trap" they're in has brought them two of their only four 10-plus-win seasons in more than six decades.

GT resides in the most cutthroat recruiting zone in the country but is disadvantaged both by much higher admission standards for student-athletes than all of its neighbors and by the fact that, despite being an elite university, it doesn't have the cachet and national draw that ND and Stanford do (to name two others with admission standards well above the NCAA minimums for athletes). Nor does it have the institutional backing that those two programs have.

The triple option is a serious pain for GT's opponents to prepare for, given that they'll only see it -- or anything like it -- once per regular season. The offense significantly mitigates the major and permanent structural recruiting disadvantages GT suffers both by being difficult to prepare for and because the system doesn't require the types of recruits everyone is fighting for in order to be run effectively.

BBR, they say that you can judge a man's intelligence by the degree to which he agrees with you.....clearly you're a brilliant bastige.....that's my analysis as well...

aaaand....In defense of Georgia Tech....their last national championship was a LOT more recent than aggsy....lol....

GT resides in the most cutthroat recruiting zone in the country and is disadvantaged both by much higher admission standards for student-athletes than all of its neighbors, and by the fact that, despite being an elite university, it doesn't have the cachet and national draw that ND and Stanford do (to name two others with admission standards well above the NCAA minimums for athletes). Nor does it have the institutional backing that those two programs have.

Good points. I'd argue that shine and surprise of the triple option has worn off, especially against the team they care most about beating. Georgia is used to it, and will continue to mudhole GT as long as they run it.

The reason I call it a trap, is because of coaching options. So if they want to continue what they're doing, there's one option. The Army coach. What happens when for whatever reason that's over? Uh, who's Army's coach? Ironically, the options for keeping the archaic triple option alive, are very limited.

On the other hand, you hire Whisenhunt. You have a reputable coach who is also an alumnus. You have the stability of knowing he can survive a long rebuild, and that he won't give up on his school, as well as big name recognition that recruits will equate with the NFL. That matters.

No, I don't see them ever tearing it up again like the old days, but at least they would once again be an occasional threat to their biggest rival. Believe me when I tell you this, every Bulldog fan was in full support of Paul Johnson. They now would love nothing more than GT bringing in more of the same. They see the triple option as a gimmick, and have no fear of it anymore, because they know UGA has it figured out.

Last point. You argue about the difficulty recruiting in their environment. I'd argue the triple option makes it even more difficult. High school kids aren't running much triple option. High School kids also are not imagining a triple option offense getting them to the NFL. It's outdated. It's run it's course, and quite frankly boring to high school recruits. Time to move on.

EDIT: and freeper you can get some too! Lol

Last edited:
Good points. I'd argue that shine and surprise of the triple option has worn off, especially against the team they care most about beating. Georgia is used to it, and will continue to mudhole GT as long as they run it.

The reason I call it a trap, is because of coaching options. So if they want to continue what they're doing, there's one option. The Army coach. What happens when for whatever reason that's over? Uh, who's Army's coach? Ironically, the options for keeping the archaic triple option alive, are very limited.

On the other hand, you hire Whisenhunt. You have a reputable coach who is also an alumnus. You have the stability of knowing he can survive a long rebuild, and that he won't give up on his school, as well as big name recognition that recruits will equate with the NFL. That matters.

No, I don't see them ever tearing it up again like the old days, but at least they would once again be an occasional threat to their biggest rival. Believe me when I tell you this, every Bulldog fan was in full support of Paul Johnson. They now would love nothing more than GT bringing in more of the same. They see the triple option as a gimmick, and have no fear of it anymore, because they know UGA has it figured out.

Last point. You argue about the difficulty recruiting in their environment. I'd argue the triple option makes it even more difficult. High school kids aren't running much triple option. High School kids also are not imagining a triple option offense getting them to the NFL. It's outdated. It's run it's course, and quite frankly boring to high school recruits. Time to move on.

EDIT: and freeper you can get some too! Lol

Well @Metcalf #2 it looks like the powers at GT were listening to you....

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...collins-coach/7kn3gvsHsNwHiAFvMB0njO/amp.html

Reactions: Metcalf #2
Meh, I think Whisenhunt would've been better, but at least they're moving on from the triple option.

I just don't buy that GT is at a competitive disadvantage. I've never heard anything about their athletes having to better than average students. If this guy is good they can level the playing field in a few years. And it's not just competing with GA there's Clemson as well.

I just don't buy that GT is at a competitive disadvantage. I've never heard anything about their athletes having to better than average students. If this guy is good they can level the playing field in a few years. And it's not just competing with GA there's Clemson as well.

Georgia Tech is the smartest public university in the US based on incoming SAT scores. The average incoming freshman has an SAT score 10 pts higher than those at Cal, which everyone thinks is the best public school in the country. The hitch for Tech is just that, they are a Tech school. There is no cream puff degree program. Students there are expected to be able to handle a STEM focused course of study. Even liberal arts students have to take some core science and math well beyond the usual "Consumer Math 101" that fulfills most degree requirements at other schools. The amount of work, homework, lab and written assignments is brutal. Every student I spoke to while visiting warned us that the biggest adjustment is to the amount of study and work needed to pass. The students we spoke to at Rice, Notre Dame and Penn did not once mention any particular difficulty in their studies. As an aside, I have been teaching sophomore level history for 10 years now. The brightest student I ever had was a transfer to Nevada from Georgia Tech. I asked him why he left and he told me bluntly that he simply wasn't prepared for the work and study that was expected there, and that was compounded when he started sniffing around the co-eds at Emory....

That all said, kids who don't want to work academically, aren't going to last at GT. As far as Coach Collins is concerned, my son already likes him just for talking smack about Athens Community College and for his pledge to install an NFL style offense.

I saw where CO has hired GA dc Melvin Tucker as their new coach. Hiring a dc is not unusual in the Pac XII as Herm Edwards was a dc as well. They play good defense in the Pac XII. I don't know how they would do against Big XII offenses but there's no denying they send a lot of good defensive talent to the NFL certainly more than the Big XII.

But like most just hired coaches he looks like an A+ hire. The Pac XII needs some good coaches and fast. Chris Petersen and David Shaw are top notch coaches and we'll see how the new coaches at CA, OR, UCLA, CO, and yes SC shake out. In fact only 3 schools in the Pac XII have coaches who have been there at least 5 years. They desperately need for the majority of these coaches to work out and soon. I said when CO fired Mike McIntyre that it was a school with potential so we'll see how Melvin Tucker does. The Pac XII's credibility and future is depending on it.

And one last thing. The Pac XII is starting to look like the SWC in their last 10 years of existence. I will watch to see if this downward trend will get worse.

ADVERTISEMENT