ADVERTISEMENT

CFB coach firings / hirings, 2018-19

Interesting pick for them. Possibly haave gene Chizik as D coordinator. Wonder if a call has gone out to GDGD.

I think it was a good move. I think Texas was 4-7 the year before he came. They won 9 games the first 3 years and won 11 the 4th year. You Texas fans correct me if that’s wrong.

Hopefully this means we can stop paying Mack $500,000 a year for doing . . . nothing at all.

Its called a contract. UT is obligated to pay him the money laid out in the contract. No one would turn down money owed to them if they were fired.

No, I'm not talking about the contract in effect at the time he was fired, and I'm also not saying that UT should shirk its contractual obligations.

Mack was originally guaranteed, in addition to his buyout, a one-year position with a $500,000 salary. Texas later decided to continue that employment, paying Mack $500,000 annually up to the present time for doing essentially nothing at all (as "special assistant to the president") while he worked at ESPN. That decision was separate from and subsequent to all original contract obligations.

Funny Mack left UNC because when basketball practice began football was no longer a priority.

No, I'm not talking about the contract in effect at the time he was fired, and I'm also not saying that UT should shirk its contractual obligations.

Mack was originally guaranteed, in addition to his buyout, a one-year position with a $500,000 salary. Texas later decided to continue that employment, paying Mack $500,000 annually up to the present time for doing essentially nothing at all (as "special assistant to the president") while he worked at ESPN. That decision was separate from and subsequent to all original contract obligations.

It is my understanding that UT owed Mack the money as long as he didn't take another coaching job, and if he did, they weren't liable to pay him the balance.

It is my understanding that UT owed Mack the money as long as he didn't take another coaching job, and if he did, they weren't liable to pay him the balance.

To clarify, that was the language of Mack's original contract, but that was not the language of the final settlement agreement that superseded the prior contractual language.

Under the final settlement agreement, Mack was guaranteed only a one-year position at $500,000 (in addition to the buyout). That position was subsequently extended in 2015, and in every year since.

To clarify, that was the language of Mack's original contract, but that was not the language of the final settlement agreement that superseded the prior contractual language.

Under the final settlement agreement, Mack was guaranteed only a one-year position at $500,000 (in addition to the buyout). That position was subsequently extended in 2015, and in every year since.

And since it's been 20 years since he was injured he now qualifies for a very nice pension as a state employee. As if he needs it lol

C2H3NaO2

You uh, want to essplain why you call yourself sodium acetate? In the concrete bidness?
Nah... just a really lame chemistry joke from junior high that I used for my first screen name... then kind of stuck with it for a few other platforms over the years.

It would have been silly to fire Clay Helton. I think it would do TT some good to go a different direction. You know pay attention to defense and the running game for once.

Clay's USC record is a product of Sam Darnold. Lynn Swann is going to learn that the hard way.

I think it was a good move. I think Texas was 4-7 the year before he came. They won 9 games the first 3 years and won 11 the 4th year. You Texas fans correct me if that’s wrong.

Recruiting Ricky Williams to stay for his Senior year was the key to that.

Reactions: weevilcatch
Apparently Brewer hates Fisher’s guts and he won’t be the only defection from that staff. Something about being browbeaten into 20-hour days and widespread cheating not being communicated beforehand.

Apparently Brewer hates Fisher’s guts and he won’t be the only defection from that staff. Something about being browbeaten into 20-hour days and widespread cheating not being communicated beforehand.

If it comes out in the wash and is true about Fisher and a&m cheating, this will be fun to watch the meltdown in BCS. I still don't think Jimbo is all that great of a coach. If after 4 or 5 years, a&m wants to move on from Fisher, it will be entertaining to see them squirm, figuring out a way to fund the remainder of his contract.

Reactions: Scholz
Not to interrupt the discussion of the train wreck that is the Sodbuster coaching staff, but Paul Johnson is stepping down as head coach at Georgia Tech. I have a vested interest in the Ramblin' Wreck as my son is a freshman there. If you were GT AD, who do you pursue?

Reactions: BringBackRoyal
Not to interrupt the discussion of the train wreck that is the Sodbuster coaching staff, but Paul Johnson is stepping down as head coach at Georgia Tech. I have a vested interest in the Ramblin' Wreck as my son is a freshman there. If you were GT AD, who do you pursue?

Wow, I missed that news. Good question. They should go full bore for Monken at Army, in my opinion.

I had a friend that worked in the athletics department when Jimbo was promoted in 2010 at FSU. Said the guy is so egotistical and everyone in the department grew to dislike him instantly. Heard former coaches not like working with him due to his control issues over every detail of the program and him getting jealous when players would credit their assistant coaches instead of him. Randy Sanders is an example of that.

Clay's USC record is a product of Sam Darnold. Lynn Swann is going to learn that the hard way.

He might be just that. Lynn Swann may have suspicions of the same. However, that would be a pretty chicken shit thing to do after the HC won a Rose Bowl and a Pac 12 title in the past three years. 2 good years out of 3 I think deserves a year 4 to see improvement.

Agree with MM.

However, if GT wants to move away from the flexbone/wishbone type offense this is my list (no order)

Brent Venables
Mike McIntyre
Matt Rhule
Seth Littrell
Josh Heupel

Reactions: freeper
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT