ADVERTISEMENT

Got some Bad News My Dudes

Im all in for keeping charlie unless we think we can go out and get somebody that we know FOR SURE is the right guy

Im all in for keeping charlie unless we think we can go out and get somebody that we know FOR SURE is the right guy
I agree. Unless we hire a john Harbaugh all the other guys we might hire we can hire next year which should tell you something about the coaching market this season.

I agree. I don't see anyone available that I like but of course nothing I say or like matters so.
For the record, the bowl performance won't be a factor. The Admin will have to make the decision after the reg season. You can't wait around another month to see how he does in the bowl.
I don't know who the DMN talked to, but their story is the opposite of every other source that covers the team saying the admin does not want to fire him. Unless they lose to KU, I think we are getting a fourth year of Strong.

Reactions: LongfellowDrew
For the record, the bowl performance won't be a factor. The Admin will have to make the decision after the reg season. You can't wait around another month to see how he does in the bowl.
I don't know who the DMN talked to, but their story is the opposite of every other source that covers the team saying the admin does not want to fire him. Unless they lose to KU, I think we are getting a fourth year of Strong.

It better be a great 4th year!

Well, let's start next year's speculation. Is 8-4 enough next year, with a predominately Soph/Jr. roster? Good lord - this is the University of Texas - act like it! Freaking OU is about to win its 10th conference title in 18 years. UT is about to finish at .500 or worse for the 3rd year in a row! ANY of the guys listed, regardless of the "buzz", could match that!

Reactions: swVAHorn
Well, let's start next year's speculation. Is 8-4 enough next year, with a predominately Soph/Jr. roster? Good lord - this is the University of Texas - act like it! Freaking OU is about to win its 10th conference title in 18 years. UT is about to finish at .500 or worse for the 3rd year in a row! ANY of the guys listed, regardless of the "buzz", could match that!

No! I'm looking for a 10-2 season or better. I'm tired of this we're a young team crap. I've been patient enough and have given Strong the benefit of the doubt. Enough is enough if we're keeping him another year he needs to come through with a 10-2 season or better. He's got his recruits now it's time to show them off.

I personally don't see how we don't win 10 games regardless who the coach is. @USC is the only tough non con road gsme. It would be tough but a winnable gsme.

The conference is going to be WAY down next year imo. You figure KU and Iowa State are going to be themselves. Baylor will probably struggle, and if Snyder retires k State will struggle.

That SHOULD be 6 wins plus a7th if you beat USC. If you don't win 9-10 games at Texas next year you screwed up pretty bad.

If you fellas really think we'll have 10 wins next year-------------

I've got a bridge I'd like to sell you.......

Reactions: freeper
Before you start asking...... I ain't saying sh!t. So don't bother.

Had a chin wag this morning and I was told that there are members of the BOR that have dug their heels in and refuse to fire charlie until his 5 years are up. Like, they are DEMANDING that he be given his full 5 years to coach.

I was told that there are BOR members literally pitching a fit about him being let go........ this could be a long offseason.
Going back to the origin of this thread, I don't understand why any new coach needs a 5 year contract. I know it's too late to fight this battle as it relates to Coach Strong, but what's wrong with a 2 year contract that automatically renews if he gets to 9 wins? Mack got there in year 1 as did Harbaugh, Saban, and Meyer.
True, the job is tough, but it sure does pay well. So why not have a trial run to see if he's a good fit?
You can't do that, it'll handcuff recruiting! Well if he's not up to the job, your recruiting will be handcuffed anyway. Losing kills the draft prospects of every player on the team; winning does the opposite. You think Strong is going to be raking in blue chip recruits this offseason with his record?
You'll never get a good coach to agree to that! There is always a shortage of good HC candidates, and sometimes even the best candidates can't cut it on the big stage (case in point Charlie Strong). Better to go with someone that has the confidence to put his money where his mouth is rather than the guy who insists on being set for life win or lose.

I would agree except clearly there is a factor that we as fans are failing to understand. That is that successful pro coaches don't go to the college ranks. Whether that's a stigma that college is a lessor game or just the personality needed to be successful in the pros limits itself to only the pros. It's as if once they get a taste of NFL meat then they aren't even considering college anymore even if the money is comparable. Regardless there is something there you can't deny that.

I am not saying that you can't be successful in both, just that once you reach success in the NFL there doesn't seem to be any going to the college ranks. With very few exceptions. You put 3 former superbowl champions on your list and it's nothing but a pipedream. Especially considering that none of those coaches are going to be out of a job. So not only do you have to get them to think about college coaching, you have to get them to walk from their current employer.

Bubba...I completely agree with you....but that is for SUCCESSFUL NFL coaches of which there arent that many.Yeah....those guys will get great support from their ownership and can thus keep having top players. So they have all that and dont have to screw around with recruiting.....or bad grades. The pro players only have to study the playbook.....that makes life easier.

If I felt like there was "the guy" out there that we just HAD to have as our next HC and that he'd be willing and available to jump to UT this off-season, I might take the premise of this thread as actual "bad news". Losing out or looking really bad and negating any thought that Strong's efforts at defensive play-calling are improving things against TCU and/or a bowl opponent changes that, but wouldn't change the rest of the rest of the circumstances we're faced with.

As things stand right now, I don't know who "the guy" would be and I don't have any strong reason to believe that the powers that would be making this decision do either. If you gave me the option of either a) we go all-in after, for example, John Harbaugh, b) we hire Tom Herman, c) we even bring up Briles again like he's a really someone we'd consider at this point, or d) we keep Strong another year... I'd probably go with choice D unless we knew that some really big time name in the "choice A" situation was shoo-in.

I just don't see the point in grinding through another coach who we feel kinda "meh" about. Most of the options that I see that we definitely could get right now have about as good of odds as Coach Strong to get that 10-win season.

Again, if the powers that be have someone in mind that they think would be a great choice, and they have relative certainty that he'd be signing the papers as soon as he was asked... sure... different story. But come on... even our overzealous big money booster types that seem to enjoy leaking rumors about such things, or making awkwardly public overtures or personal visits to talk to people don't seem to be doing anything on that front right now. Which is probably for the best, but it makes it seem like there isn't "that guy" on their radar either.

I'm of the opinion, that any new coach, especially one undertaking a complete program rebuild, should get at least 4, if not 5 years, regardless of the results. A general positive trend should be evident but otherwise, the expectations should be tempered. Forget W-Ls and it is clear that Charlie has this team moving the right direction.

Also, can we all go back to preseason and remember what we wanted to see from this team. Many were saying 7-5 without any blowout losses. Beat Kansas and TCU and we have accomplished that.

The offense has improved and will continue to improve. The Defense took a big jump after Charlie took over. I'm all for stability and another year.

I'm of the opinion, that any new coach, especially one undertaking a complete program rebuild, should get at least 4, if not 5 years, regardless of the results. A general positive trend should be evident but otherwise, the expectations should be tempered. Forget W-Ls and it is clear that Charlie has this team moving the right direction.

Also, can we all go back to preseason and remember what we wanted to see from this team. Many were saying 7-5 without any blowout losses. Beat Kansas and TCU and we have accomplished that.

The offense has improved and will continue to improve. The Defense took a big jump after Charlie took over. I'm all for stability and another year.

Should he get 4 if not 5 years regardless of results, or should a general positive trend be evident? Forget wins and losses?

th

Should he get 4 if not 5 years regardless of results, or should a general positive trend be evident? Forget wins and losses?

th

Exactly. What a lot of people here need to realize is that replacing a coach every 3 years is not how you build a dynasty in the college game.

In a world of instant gratification there needs to be some patience in this situation. Strong took over a struggling program, tore it to the ground and is just now completing the rebuild. We have more starts by underclassmen than anyone in the country. This team will be better next year and the year after just because of a more mature roster.

Exactly. What a lot of people here need to realize is that replacing a coach every 3 years is not how you build a dynasty in the college game.

In a world of instant gratification there needs to be some patience in this situation. Strong took over a struggling program, tore it to the ground and is just now completing the rebuild. We have more starts by underclassmen than anyone in the country. This team will be better next year and the year after just because of a more mature roster.
Maybe I overrate UT. I just always thought that 6-6 was the bottom that included a new coach overhauling a roster. I didn't realize that in year 3 this was still "headed in the right direction."

Are you copying and pasting from last offseason? I could have swore I've read that before.

Maybe I overrate UT. I just always thought that 6-6 was the bottom that included a new coach overhauling a roster. I didn't realize that in year 3 this was still "headed in the right direction."

If Strong is on a path to success, he's basically on a path that no other coach of a major program has ever taken. So either UT was in some kind of unprecedented rot with an 8-3 record in 2013 that warranted such a path, or Strong just simply isn't the guy.

I see some saying 10-2 next season. So no playoff next year or conference champions? What does this 10-2 record bring to the table? A bright future for year 5 and a national championship?

I see some saying 10-2 next season. So no playoff next year or conference champions? What does this 10-2 record bring to the table? A bright future for year 5 and a national championship?

HOPE! Cause right now it looks dim.

6–7 2014
5–7 2015
6-6 or 7-5 2016
10-2 Is a huge jump and I'll take that. I mean when is the last time we've seen that?

Last edited:
The senior anchors of the team graduate and you can start the rebuilding grind all over again.

If Strong is on a path to success, he's basically on a path that no other coach of a major program has ever taken. So either UT was in some kind of unprecedented rot with an 8-3 record in 2013 that warranted such a path, or Strong just simply isn't the guy.

2013 Mack' final ride: 8-4 with an Oregon bowl game blowout loss. Wins versus two 3-9 teams (ISU and KU), wins versus two 4-8 teams (TCU and West Virginia) with what I would call 2 quality wins over an 8 win KState team and a 10 win OU team.

I wouldn't reflect much on that year.

Has Texas lost to a really bad team this year outside of Cal being Cal? I guess 5-4 KState is as bad as it gets, they're pretty much on par with Texas.

The team continues to grow and age, whoever is here next year is going to win a bunch of ball games.

Vegas odds are out, Strong +300 is behind the field....with Herman as the fav.

Well if UH beats Louisville in a few days, the Herman-UT sweepstakes might get rolling again. USC\LSU seemed to have solidified somewhat now, so where can Herman go, if anywhere?

As far as our program, we have no momentum under Strong yet, just treading water. We:
1. aren't competing for the playoffs
2. aren't competing for a conference title
3. aren't competing for a top25 ranking
4. aren't even sniffing the "other votes" honorable mentions.

And we aren't closer to any of the above today than in 2014. And all this while we play in a mediocre Big12.

Mack got blown out in 5 games back in 2013 as well.
40-21
44-23
38-13
30-10
30-7

Team was headed for the out house without a QB.

You guys are living in a fantasy world. There is zero chance of us winning 10 games next year. Zero % chance...... say it with me....

Look.......... we gave him a chance. He's garnered top level classes. He's lost florida kids before they even got here and one dude left after the first week. This is not working and this will not work. You can lipstick that pig all you want but it will not work. Yes, given 10 years we may jump up there and win 10 games once or maybe even twice but that is not our standard.

The silly sh!t we see happening on Saturdays ------- stupid penalties, blocked extra points, poor clock management, coin flip screw ups, kicking off to start the game when you know your team plays better with the lead--- I can go on and on.
Couple this with the fact that there is one original staff member, just one, that's still here........ he came here unprepared. I put some of his struggles at the feet of Steve Patterson (superdeushe) and Patterson thinking that just "making a historic hire as football coach" would be enough to seal patterson's legacy. It didn't, and it won't. He will always be regarded as the worst AD hire in the history of NCAA athletics, and charlie will be the worst head coaching hire at texas ever. Good man, not a great coach. RC Slocum, love him or hate him, said Charlie was a "superb defensive coach". He didn't say "head coach"---- he said "defensive coach". You know, kinda the same thing red McCombs said....

Look, we are going to beat kansas this weekend. It would be a fvcking travesty if we don't, but I think tcu mudholes us next week. We'll be back to 6-6 and headed toward the toilet bowl where the sec will match us up with a team that will grind us up like arkansas did two years ago. Then what? Do the cries of "awwwwww, give him one more year!" will reverberate from the mouths of those that thinks he needs to be treated differently than we would treat ANY OTHER coach with just as crappy a record? We are a flipping joke on defense and special teams. We run such a basic package on offense that teams are catching up with us and our tendencies. Hell, I've seen this offense 10 times so far and I'm calling half the plays correctly before we get to the line of scrimmage. We are predictable!

We can't kick a damn fg to save our lives. We can't cover kicks, punts, and our return game is average at best. We have upperclass offensive lineman that just love getting penalties to kill drives, a wr with stone hands, an olb that could get a personal foul penalty at any moment, another lb that is built like Tarzan but's been playing like Jane....... a secondary that couldn't cover a dead body with a baseball field tarp, and a fan base that's about as excited as bill bellichek at a Tuesday night bingo parlor.

I told you guys when we hired him---- it won't work. I told you after we were plastered by arkysaw that it won't work. I told you after ND, TCU, Iowa st last year--- it won't work. I'm telling you now, it won't work. With another year under his belt in 2017, I will be back here saying it again.........

It won't work.

Reactions: 4MNChampsHorn
You guys are living in a fantasy world. There is zero chance of us winning 10 games next year. Zero % chance...... say it with me....

Look.......... we gave him a chance. He's garnered top level classes. He's lost florida kids before they even got here and one dude left after the first week. This is not working and this will not work. You can lipstick that pig all you want but it will not work. Yes, given 10 years we may jump up there and win 10 games once or maybe even twice but that is not our standard.

The silly sh!t we see happening on Saturdays ------- stupid penalties, blocked extra points, poor clock management, coin flip screw ups, kicking off to start the game when you know your team plays better with the lead--- I can go on and on.
Couple this with the fact that there is one original staff member, just one, that's still here........ he came here unprepared. I put some of his struggles at the feet of Steve Patterson (superdeushe) and Patterson thinking that just "making a historic hire as football coach" would be enough to seal patterson's legacy. It didn't, and it won't. He will always be regarded as the worst AD hire in the history of NCAA athletics, and charlie will be the worst head coaching hire at texas ever. Good man, not a great coach. RC Slocum, love him or hate him, said Charlie was a "superb defensive coach". He didn't say "head coach"---- he said "defensive coach". You know, kinda the same thing red McCombs said....

Look, we are going to beat kansas this weekend. It would be a fvcking travesty if we don't, but I think tcu mudholes us next week. We'll be back to 6-6 and headed toward the toilet bowl where the sec will match us up with a team that will grind us up like arkansas did two years ago. Then what? Do the cries of "awwwwww, give him one more year!" will reverberate from the mouths of those that thinks he needs to be treated differently than we would treat ANY OTHER coach with just as crappy a record? We are a flipping joke on defense and special teams. We run such a basic package on offense that teams are catching up with us and our tendencies. Hell, I've seen this offense 10 times so far and I'm calling half the plays correctly before we get to the line of scrimmage. We are predictable!

We can't kick a damn fg to save our lives. We can't cover kicks, punts, and our return game is average at best. We have upperclass offensive lineman that just love getting penalties to kill drives, a wr with stone hands, an olb that could get a personal foul penalty at any moment, another lb that is built like Tarzan but's been playing like Jane....... a secondary that couldn't cover a dead body with a baseball field tarp, and a fan base that's about as excited as bill bellichek at a Tuesday night bingo parlor.

I told you guys when we hired him---- it won't work. I told you after we were plastered by arkysaw that it won't work. I told you after ND, TCU, Iowa st last year--- it won't work. I'm telling you now, it won't work. With another year under his belt in 2017, I will be back here saying it again.........

It won't work.
I agree. The players being upper classmen do not change the poor hires Strong has made.....the terrible game management.....or the discipline of a well coached team. Talent by itself is NOT enough. Ask Les Miles. LSU is loaded to the gills with talent.

It won't work.

Uhh.....do you want a ribbon?

Didn't Mack get fired? Maybe it was BECAUSE he was losing and getting blown out. Just a thought....
Yep and Chuck is close to getting the same. I damn sure wouldn't look at 2013 like it was something different due to the win loss column.

It won't work.

So tell us who will make it work for us next year? I need to know.

So tell us who will make it work for us next year? I need to know.

He thinks we should offer $10M a year to a special team coordinator that has no college head coaching experience and lacks final say over the players on his team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT