ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (2024 recruiting is on the line in these last 4 weeks)

@Ketchum Thanks for the SF write up, We plan on taking our 9 and 7 year old kids there next July. You have given me a few things to add to the list.

I don't visit prisons of any kind. I have been to SF many times and I will never visit Alcatraz. I have done the boat tour and I have flown over in a Cessna 152. I will never go in.

(Sell) It's a night game on the road against the Big 12's best passing efficiency defense. He might play well, but it's hard to believe he has a career-best performance.
I've looked at the statistics on Kansas State a couple of times now, and the one metric that really stands out on defense is their turnover margin and specifically interception rate. State has 11 interceptions on the year which puts them in the top 10 and really boosts their Defensive Passing Efficiency rating. They are good to very good in a couple other metrics such as Defensive Scoring, but I'd argue that metric is in part due to their turnover margin noted above and the fact they really slow the game down and limit the # plays. They are #25 in rushing attempts and are averaging 40 runs while only throwing the ball 25 times a game. There are only 13 teams with fewer passes on the season. All to say, they are really grinding away, avoiding turnovers, and limiting penalties, which chews up clock and keeps the ball out of the opponents hands. Sounds like Snyder ball.

It will take a really efficient game on the road from a young QB for Texas to be successful. Can't turn the ball over 2 or more times in the passing game on the road and expect to win. You probably didn't need my statistical word sandwich above to illuminate that reality, but the statistics emphasize the obvious: can't be sloppy on the road against a team that prides itself on clean, disciplined football.

I’m here. Good work.

@Ketchum Thanks for the SF write up, We plan on taking our 9 and 7 year old kids there next July. You have given me a few things to add to the list.

I don't visit prisons of any kind. I have been to SF many times and I will never visit Alcatraz. I have done the boat tour and I have flown over in a Cessna 152. I will never go in.
Honestly, it's nothing to write home about.

I've looked at the statistics on Kansas State a couple of times now, and the one metric that really stands out on defense is their turnover margin and specifically interception rate. State has 11 interceptions on the year which puts them in the top 10 and really boosts their Defensive Passing Efficiency rating. They are good to very good in a couple other metrics such as Defensive Scoring, but I'd argue that metric is in part due to their turnover margin noted above and the fact they really slow the game down and limit the # plays. They are #25 in rushing attempts and are averaging 40 runs while only throwing the ball 25 times a game. There are only 13 teams with fewer passes on the season. All to say, they are really grinding away, avoiding turnovers, and limiting penalties, which chews up clock and keeps the ball out of the opponents hands. Sounds like Snyder ball.

It will take a really efficient game on the road from a young QB for Texas to be successful. Can't turn the ball over 2 or more times in the passing game on the road and expect to win. You probably didn't need my statistical word sandwich above to illuminate that reality, but the statistics emphasize the obvious: can't be sloppy on the road against a team that prides itself on clean, disciplined football.
Good post. I talked about it on the Youtube video today. They have intercepted more passes than they've allowed touchdown passes.

They'll believe they can turn Ewers over going in.

• Sad
Reactions: CutaneousHorn
One thing I can’t get out of my head….
We always seem to talk about coaches figuring it out during the season and getting over hump of the losing games they shouldn’t. Waiting for the light switch, but it never seems to be possible during the season, just more of the same type of problems after they’ve been discussed ad nauseum in the PCs, online, etc. I just feels like a fools errand at this point. We should expect more of the same with them struggling to put teams away and relying on getting all the breaks if they’re going to change the story. It just never plays out that Texas is the team getting better and better as the season goes on. Whatever problems we start with are the same problems we finish with. I guess that’s what non elite coaching looks like and I’ve come to grips with it. Sark may be another guy that has to have much more elite talent to win against inferior teams. 🤷‍♂️

• Sad
One thing I can’t get out of my head….
We always seem to talk about coaches figuring it out during the season and getting over hump of the losing games they shouldn’t. Waiting for the light switch, but it never seems to be possible during the season, just more of the same type of problems after they’ve been discussed ad nauseum in the PCs, online, etc. I just feels like a fools errand at this point. We should expect more of the same with them struggling to put teams away and relying on getting all the breaks if they’re going to change the story. It just never plays out that Texas is the team getting better and better as the season goes on. Whatever problems we start with are the same problems we finish with. I guess that’s what non elite coaching looks like and I’ve come to grips with it. Sark may be another guy that has to have much more elite talent to win against inferior teams. 🤷‍♂️
You are who you are IMO.

Hoping someone "figures it out" is a fool's errand.

Good post. I talked about it on the Youtube video today. They have intercepted more passes than they've allowed touchdown passes.

They'll believe they can turn Ewers over going in.
Compounding the problem is that K State is averaging almost three sacks per game. They’ve been getting home on their pass rush. Sark really needs to call a great game schematically to put Ewers in a position to excel. If they sit back and try to take endless shots deep / over the top like they did against OSU, I think it will be a long night. Get it out of Ewers’ hands quickly and let our 5 star skill players make plays.

My wife and I had part of our honeymoon in SF back in 1990.

Things we enjoyed:

Dim Sum in Chinatown
Little Italy
The Greenpeace Museum

Staying in a hotel in downtown SF about a block from the tower. Even in 1990 it cost $25 a day to park anywhere downtown. The hotel we stayed in parked cars in its basement. You had to give them at least 30 minutes because they typically had to move about 20 cars to deliver yours.

Going up the coast on Highway 1 and staying in a bed and breakfast in Elk, CA. (about 9 miles south of Mendocino)

Driving through the redwood forest through Alexander Valley to Napa Valley, staying in Calistoga, and touring the wineries.

I just love NoCal!

Reactions: more_bourbon
@Ketchum O/U 4.5 recruits committed elsewhere showing earnest interest in Texas? Chalking up Hill and Vasek as two in that line. Any update on Vasek while we’re at it?

Ketch - Give us your top 10 movies filmed in San Francisco some week.

Glad the family enjoyed the trip. Lots of great vacation spots in California as the family gets older

Reactions: tex17
Great 10 thoughts. I personally think this game will decide a lot. Sark got two mulligans already this year. Fell flat on his face after 14 point leads in two road games. He allows PK and choate to play jags on critical drives without fail. He goes flat in the front when other coaches adjust to his first half game plan. He lets PK play nonattacking defense with lead. He has massively failed in road games. This weekend is critical. We are about to lose Baxter and Malik. Possibly 5 star safety from La as well. Agree with Ketch needs to go on run to save 23 class and start 24 class. If not he will fail even before season 3 starts.

• Sad
Anything less than a 3 - 1 finish is "the beginning of the end" for Sark. Negative Momentum is a hard thing turn. The talent on campus does not go up from '22 to '23. So why would anybody (recruits, fans, exiting players, BMDs) believe that '23 can be significantly better than '22?

This is like Herman squandering Ehlinger's senior year with another mediocre season. We've seen this movie before and we know how it ends. And that is why Sark finally let his emotions get the better of him at the end of the OSU game ... he knew he was in process of pissing away his career as UT HC.

• Sad
Iconic bridges are so cool. The Golden Gate is my favorite and glad your son lived it. I got to sail under it a few years ago. Looking forward to the completion of the Harbor Bridge in Corpus.

K St beat the piss out of a team we lost to.
Can we win this-in Manhattan?
This is the kind of road win Sark needs.
I think we have the offense to put up points.
Sigh, I want to get back to when I new we’d just steamroll our competition.
How’s TN get there so soon?
Come ‘On Sark!
Go get a signature road win man!
You can do it.

Not hardly. Never seen a piece of it until this week when we quickly drove through it.
There is an incredible outdoor concert venue called The Mountain Winery. Just up the hills from downtown Saratoga. Check out the line up in the Summers. Good time to visit Pops and then hit up SF again.

Reactions: more_bourbon
Maybe Vegas knows something that I don't, but until this Texas team displays better finishing form on the road, I'm not sure it warrants being favored against Kansas, let alone Kansas State.
I think the only thing that Vegas knows is the propensity of Longhorn fans to place bets on their team that don't make much sense.

We suck on the road until we don't.

• Sad
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT