Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (2024 recruiting is on the line in these last 4 weeks)

Regarding No.1 I don’t think it makes any difference. Kids are doing that to keep there options open financially.

I think the only thing that Vegas knows is the propensity of Longhorn fans to place bets on their team that don't make much sense.

We suck on the road until we don't.
That might explain line movement, but it doesn’t explain the opening line. A LOT goes into that, according to more knowledgeable posters than I am.

Reactions: HornInOz
Compounding the problem is that K State is averaging almost three sacks per game. They’ve been getting home on their pass rush. Sark really needs to call a great game schematically to put Ewers in a position to excel. If they sit back and try to take endless shots deep / over the top like they did against OSU, I think it will be a long night. Get it out of Ewers’ hands quickly and let our 5 star skill players make plays.
Gotta run for 250+ IMO.

My wife and I had part of our honeymoon in SF back in 1990.

Things we enjoyed:

Dim Sum in Chinatown
Little Italy
The Greenpeace Museum

Staying in a hotel in downtown SF about a block from the tower. Even in 1990 it cost $25 a day to park anywhere downtown. The hotel we stayed in parked cars in its basement. You had to give them at least 30 minutes because they typically had to move about 20 cars to deliver yours.

Going up the coast on Highway 1 and staying in a bed and breakfast in Elk, CA. (about 9 miles south of Mendocino)

Driving through the redwood forest through Alexander Valley to Napa Valley, staying in Calistoga, and touring the wineries.

I just love NoCal!
Our hotel had free valet. It was probably baked into the cost overall, but I still liked it. ;)

Reactions: magnahorn
@Ketchum O/U 4.5 recruits committed elsewhere showing earnest interest in Texas? Chalking up Hill and Vasek as two in that line. Any update on Vasek while we’re at it?
a. That sounds like a lot. I'll say under.

b. All quiet on that front. Surprisingly.

Ketch - Give us your top 10 movies filmed in San Francisco some week.

Glad the family enjoyed the trip. Lots of great vacation spots in California as the family gets older
Great question. Let me ponder it.

Great 10 thoughts. I personally think this game will decide a lot. Sark got two mulligans already this year. Fell flat on his face after 14 point leads in two road games. He allows PK and choate to play jags on critical drives without fail. He goes flat in the front when other coaches adjust to his first half game plan. He lets PK play nonattacking defense with lead. He has massively failed in road games. This weekend is critical. We are about to lose Baxter and Malik. Possibly 5 star safety from La as well. Agree with Ketch needs to go on run to save 23 class and start 24 class. If not he will fail even before season 3 starts.
It's a critical week.

Reactions: CutaneousHorn
Anything less than a 3 - 1 finish is "the beginning of the end" for Sark. Negative Momentum is a hard thing turn. The talent on campus does not go up from '22 to '23. So why would anybody (recruits, fans, exiting players, BMDs) believe that '23 can be significantly better than '22?

This is like Herman squandering Ehlinger's senior year with another mediocre season. We've seen this movie before and we know how it ends. And that is why Sark finally let his emotions get the better of him at the end of the OSU game ... he knew he was in process of pissing away his career as UT HC.
That's tough, but not unfair.

Reactions: CutaneousHorn
Iconic bridges are so cool. The Golden Gate is my favorite and glad your son lived it. I got to sail under it a few years ago. Looking forward to the completion of the Harbor Bridge in Corpus.
Tell me about the Harbor Bridge?

Very glad you set the record straight about San Francisco. I hope some of my comments were helpful to your trip. It is flat our my favorite major city that is densely populated.

I lived near Palo Alto/San Jose for 13 years and spent so many great days and evenings there with kids and without kids. It is a great place that is unique to the US. Nothing rivals the look and feel of downtown’s hills, bay, weather and many different cultures in such a small area. To top it all off, close driving proximity to Napa/Sonoma, Tahoe, Monterrey/Carmel/Big Sur/Redwoods.

Bummer you did not get to Muir Woods. Save it for the next trip.
My wife & I were there 10 years ago. Absolutely breathtaking to see these stunning trees some of which are over 250' tall & nearly 1,000 years old! Long before Columbus & Manifest Destiny when the land was pristine...and holy. But there in The Redwoods off the roads & beaten path the spiritual vibe is strong.

K St beat the piss out of a team we lost to.
Can we win this-in Manhattan?
This is the kind of road win Sark needs.
I think we have the offense to put up points.
Sigh, I want to get back to when I new we’d just steamroll our competition.
How’s TN get there so soon?
Come ‘On Sark!
Go get a signature road win man!
You can do it.
amen

There is an incredible outdoor concert venue called The Mountain Winery. Just up the hills from downtown Saratoga. Check out the line up in the Summers. Good time to visit Pops and then hit up SF again.
we don't really visit.

I think the only thing that Vegas knows is the propensity of Longhorn fans to place bets on their team that don't make much sense.

We suck on the road until we don't.
Lot of truth to that.

That might explain line movement, but it doesn’t explain the opening line. A LOT goes into that, according to more knowledgeable posters than I am.
Yeah, perhaps that statement was a tad bit dramatic rather than based on cold hard facts.

At the same time, I think Vegas vastly underestimates our suckage in true away games.

Reactions: cooleyo
Was good. Didn't do a ton, just relaxed on the beach and enjoyed a break from reality for a bit.
Not doing anything is a vacation in and off itself. Glad you got a break. Did you see Snoop Dogg and Andy Samberg out there?

@Ketchum glad you had a great trip with the family. Will this SF trip inspire you to do a top 10 list of Grateful Dead songs now?

My wife & I were there 10 years ago. Absolutely breathtaking to see these stunning trees some of which are over 250' tall & nearly 1,000 years old! Long before Columbus & Manifest Destiny when the land was pristine...and holy. But there in The Redwoods off the roads & beaten path the spiritual vibe is strong.
Breathtaking beauty.

Reactions: Baguette
Tell me about the Harbor Bridge?
It’s a new bridge in corpus that’s replacing a 60+ year old trestle bridge across the harbor. It’s a cable stay bridge that will be one of the largest of its kind in this area of the country. Unfortunately it’s way behind schedule, but they have a new path forward. It will take about two more years to complete. It’s actually pretty cool looking right now as they are close to topping out the towers that will support the cables.

eqw.HarborReplacementBridge1.png

It’s a new bridge in corpus that’s replacing a 60+ year old trestle bridge across the harbor. It’s a cable stay bridge that will be one of the largest of its kind in this area of the country. Unfortunately it’s way behind schedule, but they have a new path forward. It will take about two more years to complete. It’s actually pretty cool looking right now as they are close to topping out the towers that will support the cables.

eqw.HarborReplacementBridge1.png
My son will be all over that.

Reactions: more_bourbon

Latest posts