ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (6 Futurecasts to UT, including Micah Hudson)

Terry has done better than I expected but as Ketch said previously, Beard built this team. That's so important.
This team will need a full rebuild after this season. Terry has never proven to be a guy that can be elite at that. He was a below average head coach for a decade.

Reactions: darrenj
Gene Upshaw also had a brother named Marvin who played for the Kansas City Chiefs. I remember seeing both of them on a giant Billboard when passing through Robstown on the way to my mother's ranch in Freer as a boy. Robstown Cotton Pickers!

First thank you for answering my multi-layered B/Ss. Since you’ve answered a number of them recently I make up you like them, but perhaps I am a bit biased.

I like Rodney Terry and in a perfect Cinderella world he would win a natty and we would all live happily ever after with one another, but keeping him I think would be a mistake.

As you’ve pointed out (in not quite these terms) he sat down at the card table with a strong hand that was given to him, and he never had to pay the entry fee. Even with this strong hand, Terry has done good not great.

That reminded me of the quote below that ‘good is the enemy of great’, and UT MBB is wanting to be great, not just good.

To be great, Terry should not be the HC next year. With him at the helm for say the next 3 years I think we would never rise above good and might even slide a bit.
Thanks.

John D. Rockefeller said “Don't be afraid to give up the good to go for the great” because only when we get ourselves out of the comfort zone of good, can we move to be great. When we settle for 'good or very good' as our highest effort, then good becomes the enemy of great.

Is it not self explanatory? No one can be the best of all-time of they had limited success at the highest levels.
Well this is a site about a college football team, so no, its not immediately obvious (at least to me) what your ranking criteria was.

anyway it's a small quibble, great article and I usually enjoy your rankings at the end

Gene Upshaw also had a brother named Marvin who played for the Kansas City Chiefs. I remember seeing both of them on a giant Billboard when passing through Robstown on the way to my mother's ranch in Freer as a boy. Robstown Cotton Pickers!
I had no idea bout him being from Robstown. I thought the pitcher that SI wrote about nearly 30 years ago was the best athlete from that town!

First thank you for answering my multi-layered B/Ss. Since you’ve answered a number of them recently I make up you like them, but perhaps I am a bit biased.

I like Rodney Terry and in a perfect Cinderella world he would win a natty and we would all live happily ever after with one another, but keeping him I think would be a mistake.

As you’ve pointed out (in not quite these terms) he sat down at the card table with a strong hand that was given to him, and he never had to pay the entry fee. Even with this strong hand, Terry has done good not great.

That reminded me of the quote below that ‘good is the enemy of great’, and UT MBB is wanting to be great, not just good.

To be great, Terry should not be the HC next year. With him at the helm for say the next 3 years I think we would never rise above good and might even slide a bit.
Thanks.

John D. Rockefeller said “Don't be afraid to give up the good to go for the great” because only when we get ourselves out of the comfort zone of good, can we move to be great. When we settle for 'good or very good' as our highest effort, then good becomes the enemy of great.
There's no question in my mind that the program would slide under his long-term watch. Nothing about his head coaching resume suggests that he can build a high level team every year.

Well this is a site about a college football team, so no, its not immediately obvious (at least to me) what your ranking criteria was.

anyway it's a small quibble, great article and I usually enjoy your rankings at the end
FYI, I've done a number of other positions as well and maybe because I have, I didn't go into the criteria because I had done them before. Felt like a continuation of the series.

Thanks for reading!

Reactions: cnapp
FYI, I've done a number of other positions as well and maybe because I have, I didn't go into the criteria because I had done them before. Felt like a continuation of the series.

Thanks for reading!
Actually your right, my apologies.

I've read the RB and LB rankings and knew it was based on mostly NFL achievements.

Maybe I read 10T too early this morning and it just didn't click.

Anyway I retract, and keep up the good work

No. 4 - Recruiting thoughts floating around in my head ...

... When the first LSR Top 100 for the class of 2025 debuts on Monday, the make-up of the top 15 will look like this by position:

QB: 1
RB: 1
WR: 3
TE: 0
OL: 1
DT: 0
DE/Edge: 3
LB: 2
DB: 3
Ath: 1
Of all the good news you reported, the zeros at TE and DT are what stands out most. Those two positions are the positions of most need for Texas on offense, especially if Ja'Tavion Sanders turns pro after the 2023 football season, and on defense.
Texas needs a difference maker at Tight End in the 2024 Recruiting Class, especially if Duce Robinson commits somewhere other than Texas, which is likely. Texas also needs at least one difference maker at Defensive Tackle. I would actually say two are needed with Texas only getting Sydir Mitchell in the 2023 Recruiting Class.
"Hook Em"

Actually your right, my apologies.

I've read the RB and LB rankings and knew it was based on mostly NFL achievements.

Maybe I read 10T too early this morning and it just didn't click.

Anyway I retract, and keep up the good work
No worries. If a reader didn't understand because it wasn't made clear enough, it's certainly not the reader's fault.

Of all the good news you reported, the zeros at TE and DT are what stands out most. Those two positions are the positions of most need for Texas on offense, especially if Ja'Tavion Sanders turns pro after the 2023 football season, and on defense.
Texas needs a difference maker at Tight End in the 2024 Recruiting Class, especially if Duce Robinson commits somewhere other than Texas, which is likely. Texas also needs at least one difference maker at Defensive Tackle. I would actually say two are needed with Texas only getting Sydir Mitchell in the 2023 Recruiting Class.
"Hook Em"

The 25 class is loaded with tight ends. It's just a matter of whether coaches will keep them there or move them to defense.

Reactions: WilliamsDavid
Because of a better passing attached and hopefully less predictability.
I think defenses will be forced to defend the running game differently, and the blocking should be better. Obviously nobody can run like Bijan did, but some of the other variables should favor the running game. I would not be surprised at all if Brooks and Baxter's ypc is about the same as Bijan's and Rochon's were.

Because of a better passing attached and hopefully less predictability.

That's not always how it works.

Who Knows Idk GIF

Why are we slow and how often are we slow seemingly too often? Anything lead you to believe that will change?

Maybe they are so in love with Gipson and feel so confident about him that it impacted going after him.

All I know is they offered much later than they probably needed to. It's not like he's some sleeper no one has heard of. He dominated 6a football last year on a team full of guys Texas is recruiting across multiple grades.

I think defenses will be forced to defend the running game differently, and the blocking should be better. Obviously nobody can run like Bijan did, but some of the other variables should favor the running game. I would not be surprised at all if Brooks and Baxter's ypc is about the same as Bijan's and Rochon's were.
The bowl game wasn't a flashing set of warning lights for you?

There's no question in my mind that the program would slide under his long-term watch. Nothing about his head coaching resume suggests that he can build a high level team every year.
Exactly. Despite the feel good story in the wake of the Beard mess, CDC will attempt to hire the best possible replacement when the season ends, which will undoubtedly be a big name. He will not give Terry the reigns to the program because he kept this season afloat.

The bowl game wasn't a flashing set of warning lights for you?
We didn't really even try that much in that game. I feel like Brooks probably could have done a little more than what he did, though I don't know if that hernia situation was being handled with some delicacy.

You also gotta think those young OLs are going to get better. Young OLs do. And there are going to be more weapons in the passing game.

But yeah if we are trying to run Keilan up the middle half the time, that wouldn't bode well.

I guess my point is the variables that lead to an effective running game are, almost certainly, going to cut both ways.

We didn't really even try that much in that game. I feel like Brooks probably could have done a little more than what he did, though I don't know if that hernia situation was being handled with some delicacy.

You also gotta think those young OLs are going to get better. Young OLs do. And there are going to be more weapons in the passing game.

But yeah if we are trying to run Keilan up the middle half the time, that wouldn't bode well.

I guess my point is the variables that lead to an effective running game are, almost certainly, going to cut both ways.
18 for 51 is 18 for 51, especially in a game when you only score 20 against a Pac-12 defense.

18 for 51 is 18 for 51, especially in a game when you only score 20 against a Pac-12 defense.
If you are basing your entire prognosis of the effectiveness of the 2023 running game on 6 carries in a bowl game by the players that are going to be the primary runners in 2023, well, I just would say that's not viewing a situation with any nuance, from a guy that usually (and rightfully) harps on using nuance to evaluate things.

If you are basing your entire prognosis of the effectiveness of the 2023 running game on 6 carries in a bowl game by the players that are going to be the primary runners in 2023, well, I just would say that's not viewing a situation with any nuance, from a guy that usually (and rightfully) harps on using nuance to evaluate things.
Do you think that's what I am doing?

No.2 is spot on. With the lack of elevate talent in the state this year (compared to years past), missing on Simmons will probably keep us from a top 5 class and we will have to fight to stay in the top 10. Elite DL are needed now to compete immediately in the SEC.

No.2 is spot on. With the lack of elevate talent in the state this year (compared to years past), missing on Simmons will probably keep us from a top 5 class and we will have to fight to stay in the top 10. Elite DL are needed now to compete immediately in the SEC.
No doubt.

It's definitely what you're doing in your responses to me.

I know that's not all that's in your head on the subject.
I just asked if the first post Bijan/Roschon universe game we've seen raised any concerns.

We can easily expand the conversation. Maybe a good section for next week's 10TFTW

I just asked if the first post Bijan/Roschon universe game we've seen raised any concerns.

We can easily expand the conversation. Maybe a good section for next week's 10TFTW
Yes- I do think that would be.

Starting point- Bijan averaged 6.1 ypc and Roschon 6.0 in 2022.

Can Brooks or Baxter match that? I think certainly not at the volume, especially Bijan. Combined they probably will have fewer carries than Bijan did.

But they also will have some bigger lanes to run in a lot of the time, imo.

Gun to head I would put them probably between 5.5 and 6.0 ypc.

And to answer your question, the running game in SA was a big disappointment. We forget how Bijan would constantly make 2 guys miss in the backfield and turn a 3 yard loss into a 7 yard gain, and we saw that there. I thought Brooks would have a big game and he didn't.

If the circumstances around Brooks and Baxter are the same as what Bijan had, that doesn't bode well. I just don't think they will be.

Reactions: Ketchum
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT