ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (6 steps to take to make the Big 12 title game...)

Exactly! Maybe not play your corners off 15 yards on 3rd and 2. The defense literally can't play any worse this year. I mean who did they lose? Surely it can be average? Just freaking average would be a huge improvement.
Huge.

Reactions: jgreene_machine
every game through OU.

That's what I was thinking. So again, 3 out of those 4 schools had historically bad defenses, not in the top 100 out of 130 schools. Oklahoma comes in at 76th, so 4 terrible defenses. Maybe it's just me, but 4 games vs those types of defenses isn't nearly enough to state definitively anything about it.

Remember Jerrod Heard destroying Cal? There are always flash games that aren't going to be duplicated, so no I'm not going to bet Ewers throws 5 TDs vs OU, but to act like he can't light up Tech and Rice and two of the worst defenses in the conference? In a Sark offense? I don't know why projection scares you here, but this isn't some insurmountable task.

Reactions: Boxley
About midway or so through the scrimmage, Angilau left the starting offensive line and began working as the second-team center. Logan Parr took his spot as the left guard with the first teamers, and the offense scored with that lineup.

Angilau played center for a couple of series and then moved back to left guard with the first teamers. But he appears to clearly be the backup center. Parr came in as the third-team center when Angilau moved back to guard.

It looks as if Flood in getting Angilau ready just in case Jake Majors doesn't make enough progress getting stronger and physical enough to hold his own with the big interior linemen this season, and some of that tinkering might happen at the center spot.

100-percent agreed. When the freshmen showed up, it might come down to the weakest of those two being the odd man out.

That's what I was thinking. So again, 3 out of those 4 schools had historically bad defenses, not in the top 100 out of 130 schools. Oklahoma comes in at 76th, so 4 terrible defenses. Maybe it's just me, but 4 games vs those types of defenses isn't nearly enough to state definitively anything about it.

Remember Jerrod Heard destroying Cal? There are always flash games that aren't going to be duplicated, so no I'm not going to bet Ewers throws 5 TDs vs OU, but to act like he can't light up Tech and Rice and two of the worst defenses in the conference? In a Sark offense? I don't know why projection scares you here, but this isn't some insurmountable task.

The sample size is the sample size, but the production is the production.

In the history of the program, no player had ever posted such stats through the near midway point in the season.

The point is that neither player on campus now is quite ready to replicate them.

If we are being technical
Blaze of Glory was a solo project for
Jon Bon Jovi
But I get it
Jon Bon Jovi is Bon Jovi

great list non the less
At 58 I fear I’ve seen my last glory years of Texas football.

If we are being technical
Blaze of Glory was a solo project for
Jon Bon Jovi
But I get it
Jon Bon Jovi is Bon Jovi

great list non the less
At 58 I fear I’ve seen my last glory years of Texas football.

I thought about not including it for that reason, but a reader's Poll on Rolling Stone magazine included it, so I thought.... f it. ;)

Reactions: Hump34
The sample size is the sample size, but the production is the production.

In the history of the program, no player had ever posted such stats through the near midway point in the season.

The point is that neither player on campus now is quite ready to replicate them.
Well Casey last spring wasn’t ready to perform like he did in the fall. There is time for these guys to continue to grow up before we kickoff the first game

100-percent agreed. When the freshmen showed up, it might come down to the weakest of those two being the odd man out.
Is anyone else having nightmares about the Bama DLine in the game yet? Well besides Ewers or Card? :) Dear lord!

Reactions: gold67
Well Casey last spring wasn’t ready to perform like he did in the fall. There is time for these guys to continue to grow up before we kickoff the first game
I wasn't referring to the Casey of last spring.

You literally just rote the thing that I keep writing.

Reactions: Williamhill2034
I think Ewers really missed the progression he should have achieved in his senior year at Carroll. He would have played 14 - 16 games with top flight receivers against top flight talent (most weeks). And I'm pretty sure Riley Dodge knows what he is doing developing QBs. Instead he sat on the bench at Ohio State doing nothing.

I understand taking the NIL money, but I have a feeling he set himself back a year developmentally.

I think Ewers really missed the progression he should have achieved in his senior year at Carroll. He would have played 14 - 16 games with top flight receivers against top flight talent (most weeks). And I'm pretty sure Riley Dodge knows what he is doing developing QBs. Instead he sat on the bench at Ohio State doing nothing.

I understand taking the NIL money, but I have a feeling he set himself back a year developmentally.
He definitely needed that season of football.

Nah, nothing that bad, but this is a program taking steps.
Whether we like it or not Sark has contained the narrative to both have job security and use recruiting momentum to build a vision. We have two QBs battling it out.with little to zero playing experience. Sark gutted the program and is adding. OL depth so he wins either way on offense He kills it this year he’s the “offensive genius”. We don’t perform as well it’s “we have inexperienced QBs and a young Oline”.

This to me is positive. Finally allows a coach to come To Texas and have a little bit of breathing room to get his vision in place. His past performance doesn’t guarantee future results. Which is good for us. He may finally have a shot here to put it all together with the resources we have.

Whether we like it or not Sark has contained the narrative to both have job security and use recruiting momentum to build a vision. We have two QBs battling it out.with little to zero playing experience. Sark gutted the program and is adding. OL depth so he wins either way on offense He kills it this year he’s the “offensive genius”. We don’t perform as well it’s “we have inexperienced QBs and a young Oline”.

This to me is positive. Finally allows a coach to come To Texas and have a little bit of breathing room to get his vision in place. His past performance doesn’t guarantee future results. Which is good for us. He may finally have a shot here to put it all together with the resources we have.
Sark has as much to prove as anyone in the program.

Ketch,
Overall, I agree with your sentiments and cautious attitude. The one thing I disagree with is that I am still buying Sark stock. Yes, I know we went 5-7 last year that was WAY below expectations. But you have to admit that we lacked some very important talent that made the difference. I am giving Sark some benefit of the doubt for last year and, when I look at what he has done in recruiting and the transfer portal, I see a lot of momentum. I think we will have 7 or 8 wins in 2022 and at least a 9/9+ wins in 2023.

Reactions: schroenster
Ketch,
Overall, I agree with your sentiments and cautious attitude. The one thing I disagree with is that I am still buying Sark stock. Yes, I know we went 5-7 last year that was WAY below expectations. But you have to admit that we lacked some very important talent that made the difference. I am giving Sark some benefit of the doubt for last year and, when I look at what he has done in recruiting and the transfer portal, I see a lot of momentum. I think we will have 7 or 8 wins in 2022 and at least a 9/9+ wins in 2023.
Agree plus let’s get real. Herman recruited 7 on 7. How long will that take to recruit out of this mess? Two years minimum I’m just as mad as anyone we sucked last year but we have to acknowledge our deficiencies

Reactions: jah4550
I'l say it again, when he was healthy Thompson had a 187 rating and posted the greatest quarterback performance in the history of the OU rivalry.

Only confirmation bias would tell you at this point that a freshman who hasn't played a game since his junior year in high school is on the level of a fourth-year player posting numbers no other quarterback in the history of the program has ever posted (albeit a small sample size).
My opinion….

Let me see preface this with I believe Ewers is the starter

The amount of time that Hudson Card has spent in the program, he should be significantly ahead of Ewers. If Card is even slightly ahead of Ewers, that’s a good sign for Quinn.

Quinn’s arm talent is in undeniable. I like Card, but I’m all aboard the Quinn train.

🤘🏻🤘🏻🤘🏻

Pretty good top 10 list, but not sure if "Blaze of Glory" can be on there, being it was a solo album. Also "Silent Night" needs honorable mention.

Herman went to the Big 12 Championship Game in year two. You raise a fair point about second-year expectations.
Mel Tucker went 11-2 last year, his 2nd, at Michigan State of all places. Sark ran off Casey for Ewers and didn't bring in a left tackle from the Portal so he has made his bed. I'm not sure what CDC and the key alumns are telling him but all bets are off if he goes 7-5. Obviously, we don't want to change coaches again. The job will become less and less appealing.

Reactions: Anwar Richardson
My opinion….

Let me see preface this with I believe Ewers is the starter

The amount of time that Hudson Card has spent in the program, he should be significantly ahead of Ewers. If Card is even slightly ahead of Ewers, that’s a good sign for Quinn.

Quinn’s arm talent is in undeniable. I like Card, but I’m all aboard the Quinn train.

🤘🏻🤘🏻🤘🏻
hard to disagree

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT