ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (6 steps to take to make the Big 12 title game...)

It feels like a typical 8-4 season with a bowl win. But all these talented freshmen coming in are the X factor. We have no idea how many are going to show up and make a difference from the jump. Banks, Campbell and Brown could very well be studs for us this season at key positions.
Or they could all need a little time. It's mitigating the risk of the unknown that I'm a fan of.

Anyone who watched the spring game is lying to themself if they believe that was anything better than an 8-4 team

other then Bama the schedule is garbage. ou lost a ton of talent. No reason to lose to them or have a worst record then them. But yeah we are 6-7 win team until proven other wise. Coaching matters.

Reactions: darrenj
Well then he probably isn’t. The guy who takes over is going to be super lucky because unlike Sark he will have actual OL and edge players.

If Sark is the luckiest man alive he gets winning play out of his super green QB and a fish OL that makes a big difference. I think we will be improved on D unless we have literally any injuries.
Texas was very lucky with injuries a year ago. That might be the wildest part of what happened last year. There wasn't a huge rash of them.

Last saw Bon Jovi in '05. They were better.

Of course they had Sambora & he was a greatly underrated harmony singer in that band.

Phil X was great the concert was good.

I was not impressed by the acoustics at Moody. At all.
ugh. that ain't good.

Loosing JWitt was a big loss for the offense. Combine that with the thumb injury & the offense disappeared.

No offensive linemen were hurt. Can't think of a single key defensive player that was lost for significant time. Bijan and X stayed healthy. None of the small amount of injuries that did occur were of the major season-ending variety.

Reactions: alexpalacios93
No offensive linemen were hurt. Can't think of a single key defensive player that was lost for significant time. Bijan and X stayed healthy. None of the small amount of injuries that did occur were of the major season-ending variety.
Bijan definitely got knocked out of the season against Kansas.

Reactions: FWHorn09
The QB injury in the second half vs OU basically destroyed the season despite Thompson playing through it. Also, wasnt our LT lost for the season?

Okafor was lost early in the season too. Overshown was banged up. Let’s see we had virtually every rb hurt against Kansas. Whitt was lost against Ou. Both QBs got hurt throughout the year. What are you talking about lol

There's still time to get better.
Baylor and Ok St. can't be ignored obviously but still comes down to OU in terms of the only team that has the same level of talent. And Texas has the more talented QB for the first time in a decade plus. Irony is, Oklahoma probably has the better defense by a good margin (never thought we'd be saying that). In this conference though, QB play usually rules the day 9 times out of 10. So to me its a 9-3 season with a 50/50 shot in the title game.

It's quite a Jedi mind trick that a record that would have represented failure in the minds of most a year ago is now seen as progress only because last year fell so short. ;)

Do you know if the issues from last year about players showing up late to meetings/practices has been rectified and that Sark has buy in and respect from the team?

The QB injury in the second half vs OU basically destroyed the season despite Thompson playing through it. Also, wasnt our LT lost for the season?

I didn't say that there weren't any injuries, just that they didn't happen in any kind of volume.

which left tackle are you thinking of?

I didn't say that there weren't any injuries, just that they didn't happen in any kind of volume.

which left tackle are you thinking of?
Okafor. Maybe he was playing Guard.

seems better at this point.
How about the issues with his coaches?

In other words, do we expect so see $1Mn salaried coaches partying on Instagram and worrying about their massive Halloween parties after getting bent over on the field this year?

Dave Aranda does not agree.
I admit to being ignorant of what he had prior to last year. He had an offensive line that was equal to or worse than what we have and won the conference?

Rhule had done a pretty good job before him.

That's not completely true.
Certainly last year it was not true, Baylor especially was a sneaky talented team. But with all those two teams lost, from a talent perspective I think Texas and OU still stand out. Not counting true freshman because we know they will take some time, OU has 8 6.0 or better players on their current roster. Texas has 5 (and that doesn't count Xavier, who clearly is that level of talent). The rest of the conference combined has 1 I believe. Those are the guys as you say are the real difference makers, not the 5.8 four star vs. the 5.7 3 star.

I'l say it again, when he was healthy Thompson had a 187 rating and posted the greatest quarterback performance in the history of the OU rivalry.

Only confirmation bias would tell you at this point that a freshman who hasn't played a game since his junior year in high school is on the level of a fourth-year player posting numbers no other quarterback in the history of the program has ever posted (albeit a small sample size).

You keep saying "when he was healthy", which games are you counting exactly? From Rice to OU? So we're talking about Rice, Tech, TCU, and OU, correct? Two of those schools, any QB in a Sark offense we will light up. Or do you disagree that Ewers isn't good enough to dice up Rice and Tech from last year?

Now we're talking about TCU and OU. TCU Casey barely passed for 50%, with 140 yards. And he played amazing vs OU, nobody is taking that away. But if this is the 4 game sample you're talking about, this wasn't some stretch that was impossible to be replicated by the top QB prospect ever against some of the worst defenses in the country.

Last year Tech, TCU, and Rice were all outside of the top 100 in defense. So if you're gonna just give off ratings, and focus on a small sample size that ironically focuses on the worst defenses we faced all year, let's use some context is all. What you are saying is Ewers is incapable of playing that well, vs bad defenses, and I disagree. We literally just saw a WR come in after not playing a game since his junior year, and post historical numbers. But now another elite prospect we're gonna put a ceiling on him and treat him like any other QB prospect?

Durant being worth over $400M means he just doesn't give AF anymore. He has a ring. He's just cashing paychecks now.

That's not completely true.
Can we define 'talent' then? If you look at the recruiting rankings Texas and OU should have a very large jump in talent over anyone else in the Big12.

So you said Kwiatkowski’s, “biggest problem is talent. He lacks pass rushers, depth/numbers at linebacker and playmakers at all three levels. What's the best scheme for that?”

It’s a wonderful point.

But if true, than what can Gary Patterson do any different? Recruit better?

How about the issues with his coaches?

In other words, do we expect so see $1Mn salaried coaches partying on Instagram and worrying about their massive Halloween parties after getting bent over on the field this year?
too soon to know.. I wouldn't have thought it would be an issue 12 months ago

I admit to being ignorant of what he had prior to last year. He had an offensive line that was equal to or worse than what we have and won the conference?

Rhule had done a pretty good job before him.

He took a 2-7 team with holes all over the place, mad some great portal moves and won the conference/major bowl game.

Texas hasn't done that since 2005.

Reactions: jgreene_machine
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT