ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (6 steps to take to make the Big 12 title game...)

when healthy last season, Thompson had 14 touchdowns and 3 INT..

After the injury, he had 10 touchdowns and six interceptions.
Well, the coaches thought highly enough of Card entering the season last year to start him ahead of Thompson so I just don’t think Thompson was light years ahead of him. Granted I completely understand the practice vs game performance is a rightful consideration when looking back on it and Thompsons stats were considerably better but I don’t think Thompson was way ahead as a player even when healthy. If so, the dude wouldn’t have transferred in a heart beat the second he heard about Ewers if he himself knew that was such a great player above Card/Ewers even with the assumption of being healthy entering this year.

Hope you enjoy.
Good column as I wasn't able to watch the spring game yesterday. You summed up all the good and bad points with me having to watch it myself lol. Wisner will be interesting to watch this year at Desoto with the type of talent they play on their schedule.

Well, the coaches thought highly enough of Card entering the season last year to start him ahead of Thompson so I just don’t think Thompson was light years ahead of him. Granted I completely understand the practice vs game performance is a rightful consideration when looking back on it but I don’t think Thompson was way ahead as a player even when healthy. If so, the dude wouldn’t have transferred in a heart beat the second he heard about Ewers if he himself knew that was such a great player even with the assumption of being healthy.

Look, I think there's some fool's gold in Thompson's pre-injury numbers, but he had a 187+ quarterback rating and posted the single greatest quarterback performance for Texas in the history of the OU game.

Neither of those other dude's is ready for that yet, hence "zenith of his healthy" play.

Good column as I wasn't able to watch the spring game yesterday. You summed up all the good and bad points with me having to watch it myself lol. Wisner will be interesting to watch this year at Desoto with the type of talent they play on their schedule.
100-percent agreed

Reactions: stevo888
In all fairness, @Ketchum , I asked because of all the recent acquisitions. I didn’t know if you felt different regarding our weaknesses and whether or not the inbound personnel would make an impact. Perhaps I should’ve phrased my B/S question differently. I know they haven’t arrived on campus, but perhaps your crystal ball might’ve given you some insight into where we may stand on week one.

Bad defense, bad o line, unproven QBs. Might be a tough year during the rebuild.

In all fairness, @Ketchum , I asked because of all the recent acquisitions. I didn’t know if you felt different regarding our weaknesses and whether or not the inbound personnel would make an impact. Perhaps I should’ve phrased my B/S question differently. I know they haven’t arrived on campus, but perhaps your crystal ball might’ve given you some insight into where we may stand on week one.
por que?

Reactions: horns1883
It’s My Life is a top 5 Bon Jovi song.

Living On A Prayer is the undisputed #1 in their catalog.

I said what I said….

It seems too early to right now say Ewers isn't close to the level of play Casey Thompson played when healthy. Let's be honest s big reason why Casey Thompson led the Big 12 in passing TDs was Sark and his scheme, it wasn't like he had a ton of experience and he made some horrible freshman mistakes himself. It's a bit unfair to put all his good plays and games on him as a player but all the bad throws and games were because he got hurt.

I don't think Ewers is going to play perfect, but I didn't see anything last year that showed me he isn't able to play at that level. And considering a talented guy like him when the light switch goes off it'll be in a big way, I just am not gonna rule out anything in his development. Still see about 8 wins, but mostly because the defense still probably can't stop anyone.

It seems too early to right now say Ewers isn't close to the level of play Casey Thompson played when healthy. Let's be honest s big reason why Casey Thompson led the Big 12 in passing TDs was Sark and his scheme, it wasn't like he had a ton of experience and he made some horrible freshman mistakes himself. It's a bit unfair to put all his good plays and games on him as a player but all the bad throws and games were because he got hurt.

I don't think Ewers is going to play perfect, but I didn't see anything last year that showed me he isn't able to play at that level. And considering a talented guy like him when the light switch goes off it'll be in a big way, I just am not gonna rule out anything in his development.
I'l say it again, when he was healthy Thompson had a 187 rating and posted the greatest quarterback performance in the history of the OU rivalry.

Only confirmation bias would tell you at this point that a freshman who hasn't played a game since his junior year in high school is on the level of a fourth-year player posting numbers no other quarterback in the history of the program has ever posted (albeit a small sample size).

what are Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Baylor's flaws as teams in your opinion?
I meant this year, not last fyi. For this year, OU is obviously very different and who knows what we'll get.. too much change.

OSU and Baylor both lost a lot of their defensive leaders, and have experienced but suspect QB play. I'd say both have questions at most of the skill positions also.

Jon Bon Jovi has utterly and completely lost it. Check out all the TikTok videos of his current performances. Really sad actually.

I'l say it again, when he was healthy Thompson had a 187 rating and posted the greatest quarterback performance in the history of the OU rivalry.

Only confirmation bias would tell you at this point that a freshman who hasn't played a game since his junior year in high school is on the level of a fourth-year player posting numbers no other quarterback in the history of the program has ever posted (albeit a small sample size).
Maybe… maybe not. Hence the reason I originally just happened to object with your point.

Well either way, no matter who is correct the fact stands that fourth-year player who posted the best numbers in the history of the program ran away and transferred from that freshmen who hasn’t played a game as soon as he could… It’s hard to believe if he was truthfully on another level between the two that would have happened so fast.

I meant this year, not last fyi. For this year, OU is obviously very different and who knows what we'll get.. too much change.

OSU and Baylor both lost a lot of their defensive leaders, and have experienced but suspect QB play. I'd say both have questions at most of the skill positions also.
I'm not sure how that's I'd describe both teams. If OSU and Baylor have suspect quarterback play, how would you describe Texas'?

I mean, say what you want about Spencer Sanders, but he was first-team All-Big 12 in 2021 and led the Big 12 in total offense. He's likely to finish his career as the winningest qb in OSU history.

Meanwhile, Bohanan's Big 12 championship ring suggests he's better than suspect.

Just because you say maybe so, maybe not, doesn't mean there's any maybe about it. ;)
If you thought there would “likely be many who object” to your opinion as you stated then I think you thought there could be some maybe. Lol

I'm not sure how that's I'd describe both teams. If OSU and Baylor have suspect quarterback play, how would you describe Texas'?

I mean, say what you want about Spencer Sanders, but he was first-team All-Big 12 in 2021 and led the Big 12 in total offense. He's likely to finish his career as the winningest qb in OSU history.

Meanwhile, Bohanan's Big 12 championship ring suggests he's better than suspect.
Texas QB play? 100% unproven, for sure. Suspect is completely fair. I wouldn't mind either Sanders or Bohanan being QB1 for Texas this year, but I'm also not sold they're better than what we will ultimately get this fall.

Baylors title was on the back of their defense, not Bohanan. Unless this spring has solved it, last I heard they had a legit QB battle upcoming also.

My point remains, Texas has enough questions where you can squint and see 6 wins and not be shocked. But would we be shocked if those other teams did the same?

Reactions: Duanej6
Texas QB play? 100% unproven, for sure. Suspect is completely fair. I wouldn't mind either Sanders or Bohanan being QB1 for Texas this year, but I'm also not sold they're better than what we will ultimately get this fall.

Baylors title was on the back of their defense, not Bohanan. Unless this spring has solved it, last I heard they had a legit QB battle upcoming also.

My point remains, Texas has enough questions where you can squint and see 6 wins and not be shocked. But would we be shocked if those other teams did the same?
yes.

When we talk about “national treasures”, John Kruk is certainly on the list. That was great.

rjkruk_zpspjp8ggqt.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Ketchum
Didn’t Casey throw a lot of picks in practice last spring and summer?

I swear I remember reading that in the Horn media universe.
And Casey was flat out horrible in the Spring Game, even though Sark tried to give him every possible advantage. He threw a pick six in the red zone and didn't score a TD, despite a multitude of opportunities, all with the first team OL. Casey turned out to be a much better player than one would have surmised from the spring game.

And Casey was flat out horrible in the Spring Game, even though Sark tried to give home every possible advantage. He through a pick six in the red zone and did score a TD, despite a multitude of opportynities, all with the first team OL. Casey turned out to be a much better player than one would have surmised from the spring game.
because spring games are mostly worthless.

Signed,
Garrett Gilbert in 2010.

Not me. Baylor wins 5 as often as 10. Maybe Aranda's that guy though, but we'll see. I'm with you that if one of these teams is MOST likely to be at 5 wins, give me Texas and their Bama OOC game.

Have a good evening!

Not me. Baylor wins 5 as often as 10. Maybe Aranda's that guy though, but we'll see. I'm with you that if one of these teams is MOST likely to be at 5 wins, give me Texas and their Bama OOC game.

Have a good evening!
It has the best coach in the conference.

Reactions: ColladorUT
Pretty solid analysis. I think people will take issue with your comment about both QBs not being at the level that Casey was pre-injury but he was scorching hot out of the gate. The hope is that Ewers will come close to that level of play (while also mixing in the wtf throws that are bound to happen).

Tons of RPOs in the spring game, Idk if I’ve ever seen so many. I hope that’s a precursor to the season because I vividly remember the fan base clamoring for more of them last year. Ewers is clearly money there.

Majors looks better. Angulau and Jones are who they are. Conner looked solid but idk if he’s quite strong enough for guard. Karic is a real x factor. I don’t see how Campbell doesn’t start somewhere so my 5 OL would *hypothetically* be Banks, Angulau, Majors, Campbell and Conner.

I have zero assurances about the corners but I think the safeties will be better. Thompson and cook forcing turnovers based on awareness and physicality was a good sight to see considering we didn’t see that much last year.

LB depth is TERRIFYING. However you can tell Bush is at his more natural position.

Upfront I’m excited as I think this year will be Murphy’s and Sweats coming out party. I totally agree with you that you may sacrifice some by moving Mathis to Jack but the overall unit should benefit. I like that ovie showed the ability to crunch Down into pulling OL coming his way instead of vacationing way outside basically taking himself out of the play. I like finkleys motor but idk if he is strong enough to be impactful consistently but his motor is there and may lead to him making a play here and there.

This team has freakin weapons. Baylor’s secondary has been decimated, OU is a toss up and Oklahoma state is as good as Spencer Spanders- which can be pretty decent or really bad. The question of the season is can we stop the run and will the other team be able to score with us.

Sidenote- the physique of the team looks really good. J Whitt, Roshchon, DMO Sorrell and Neyor really stood out to me.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT