ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (A few apologies need to take place...)

In your opinion, do we have a smart football team?

I mean, where does our current collection of players rank, generally, compared to teams of the past, when it comes to football IQ and just regular old brain power?

I ask because it seems like we do lots of low IQ things. More than I remember from days of old.
Not especially.

Easily the biggest letdown of the season and for all the BS about our horrific 1st Qtr, we still made some really odd and bad decisions in the second half when there was lots of time to win this game.
The QB sneak to get the 1st down in terrible defense.

He's not a rain maker in recruiting. Your running backs coach needs to be a rainmaker. Listen to the adults when they speak.;)

Isn't running back the easiest thing to coach? Isn't that where you tuck away guys that you want to knock it out on the recruiting trail?

The Billy Pittman portion of that was definitely a joke. But outside of the end zone in Columbus, what makes you think he deserves inclusion that high on that list? I think of his role at Texas as someone who had the benefit of playing with one of the most dynamic QB’s to lace em up, along with the best pass catching tight end we’ve had, an NFL all-pro RB & an absolute weapon in Ramonce. Matter of fact, i wouldn’t necessarily argue against putting Ramonce on that list even though he lined up everywhere.

The Billy Pittman portion of that was definitely a joke. But outside of the end zone in Columbus, what makes you think he deserves inclusion that high on that list? I think of his role at Texas as someone who had the benefit of playing with one of the most dynamic QB’s to lace em up, along with the best pass catching tight end we’ve had, an NFL all-pro RB & an absolute weapon in Ramonce. Matter of fact, i wouldn’t necessarily argue against putting Ramonce on that list even though he lined up everywhere.
His name is all over the Texas record book in a positive way.Had he stayed healthy in 2007, he'd be top 3-5 in every category.

It can’t be backed up with stats because of the era he played in ( and they had a dude that wore #20 in the backfield) but Alfred Jackson deserves at least honorable mention

It can’t be backed up with stats because of the era he played in ( and they had a dude that wore #20 in the backfield) but Alfred Jackson deserves at least honorable mention
agreed.

Johnny Walker probably belongs on the list somewhere, probably above Mike Adams.
Adams ranks in the top 10 in yards, receptions and touchdowns. Walker ranks in the top 10 in none of those categories.

Sweed is top 10, but #4 seems pretty high. These eyes tell me Johnson is head and shoulders above Sweed. I’m not knocking Sweed, but would he even start on this years team?

All that being said, Sweed had one of the most important catches in Longhorn history.

His name is all over the Texas record book in a positive way.Had he stayed healthy in 2007, he'd be top 3-5 in every category.

It’s a statistical ranking, then. That’s fine. Didn’t wanna really get hung up on this. D’Onta Foreman’s name is all over the record book, too. Statistically, he’s better than Eric Metcalf.

Sweed is top 10, but #4 seems pretty high. These eyes tell me Johnson is head and shoulders above Sweed. I’m not knocking Sweed, but would he even start on this years team?

All that being said, Sweed had one of the most important catches in Longhorn history.
You've forgotten how good Sweed was, like when he scored touchdowns in seven straight games in 2006.

It’s a statistical ranking, then. That’s fine. Didn’t wanna really get hung up on this. D’Onta Foreman’s name is all over the record book, too. Statistically, he’s better than Eric Metcalf.
well, yeah, when one guy has no stats and the other guy has a lot of them... it matters.

Boyd and Davis set the tone for this game. It was lost before they took a snap.

Boyd should be careful who he threatens. Acho is more welcome than Boyd on the 40 Acres and a better lifetime Longhorn than the guy who let his team down.

You've forgotten how good Sweed was, like when he scored touchdowns in seven straight games in 2006.
Didn’t forget at all. I attended a lot of practices back then and watched him a lot. I was a big fan of his. Remember who his QB’s were. He was tall and had good hands, but wasn’t as physical as the two current WRs. He’s faster than Collin, but no faster than LJH. I don’t think he’d start on this team.

Reactions: tsumatt06
Limas too high. Agree with the other posters on this topic.
Curious, who else did you give considération to for top 10. BJ, Lovell, Johnny Walker
Arguments both ways trying to decide between Jordan and Roy.
Hopefully Lil Jordan comes back next year and gets in the Top 10

His final numbers would have been just fine if.... a junior doesn't drop a 40 yard gain at a minimum....a huge play to Collin Johnson isn't negated....a stupid holding call doesn't erase a 18 yard gain on a critical 3rd down play. Sam made some mistakes, but he played extremely well given the circumstances coming off an injury.

Sam hasn't been perfect this year, but if everyone played at his effort and production level yesterday, we are sitting at 7-1.
I said he played better than anyone on the team. I'm not sure what you think we're disagreeing on. The numbers are the numbers.

You are using his rating to say he has to be better but not acknowledging the HUGE impact of big mistakes by teammates on his rating.

You need to come up with something other than QB rating to make your case that he needs to be better. Point to specific plays that were there to make that he should have made but didnt.

I dont remember any bad plays by Sam that changed the outcome of the game like he has had in other games. If you have examples, please remind us.

Boyd and Davis set the tone for this game. It was lost before they took a snap.

Boyd should be careful who he threatens. Acho is more welcome than Boyd on the 40 Acres and a better lifetime Longhorn than the guy who let his team down.
So true, and the Acho boys both actually made it to the NFL and had careers. Boyd -- who knows.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT