ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (A historical comparison you might like...)

It's curious that they would so strongly believe he deserved those snaps as a redshirt freshman and then two months later could believe he's so expendable.
If you had to guess the reason why which one are you picking below.
1. He got the snaps he did because of CJs unavailability?
2. The new coaching staff have Epps further down the WR pecking order than the previous staff?
3. Desperation on the D-Line is the primary cause for the DE experiment?

et, the situation begs the following question - if Epps' role on the offense in 2020 appears to be potentially very limited, what was the line of thinking that emphasized him as such a critical member of the offense in 2019?
That's a deserved shot across the bow to this coaching staff. Even if Mehringer favored him, why didn't Herman overrule his position coach? Worse yet, Epps isn't the best example of glaring player misuse. That honor would go to Ossai playing Will on a team featuring 3 down linemen and zero pass rush, as if the Georgia tape just got thrown out the window until Naviar unearthed it before the Utah game. Again, where was Herman?
It is also my opinion that in order for Ehlinger to crack the top five, he'll need to do more than break most of Colt McCoy's passing records to get there.
No doubt about it. He has a shot at it but we just don;t know which Sam will show up for his senior year - the one who played as a soph and through the LSU game, or the one who reverted as a junior and was slow to pick up receivers and get the ball out of his hands.

Reactions: North Texas Golfer
If you had to guess the reason why which one are you picking below.
1. He got the snaps he did because of CJs unavailability?
2. The new coaching staff have Epps further down the WR pecking order than the previous staff?
3. Desperation on the D-Line is the primary cause for the DE experiment?
mostly 1 and 2 of the options listed below. But, why him over say marcus Washington for most of the season?

That's a deserved shot across the bow to this coaching staff. Even if Mehringer favored him, why didn't Herman overrule his position coach? Worse yet, Epps isn't the best example of glaring player misuse. That honor would go to Ossai playing Will on a team featuring 3 down linemen and zero pass rush, as if the Georgia tape just got thrown out the window until Naviar unearthed it before the Utah game. Again, where was Herman?
No doubt about it. He has a shot at it but we just don;t know which Sam will show up for his senior year - the one who played as a soph and through the LSU game, or the one who reverted as a junior and was slow to pick up receivers and get the ball out of his hands.
completely agree.

mostly 1 and 2 of the options listed below. But, why him over say marcus Washington for most of the season?
Epps had one additional year in the program and was 4” taller? I really don’t know. Washington was the higher rated recruits of the two and we know for sure we had some WR coaching issues last year. Hopefully the new staff can get the best players on the field.

Epps had one additional year in the program and was 4” taller? I really don’t know. Washington was the higher rated recruits of the two and we know for sure we had some WR coaching issues last year. Hopefully the new staff can get the best players on the field.
It's a bit surprising that he's not staying there until more than one player has semi-proven to be a better option after not being the better option all season. It speaks to both the thoughts of the new coaches and the help needed elsewhere.

They've potentially rendered a player that viewed as a key cog in the offense only two months ago into a useless option at two different positions.

To me that means that the new staff don’t see Epps as a key cog on offense and are kicking that can over to the defense side to try out.

Epps had 20 receptions for 232 yards and 2 TDs on the year. Surely someone else can replicate or beat that production in 2020?

To me that means that the new staff don’t see Epps as a key cog on offense and are kicking that can over to the defense side to try out.

Epps had 20 receptions for 232 yards and 2 TDs on the year. Surely someone else can replicate or beat that production in 2020?
It's also fair to think that a young player that showed promise as a freshman would make improvements over those numbers.

It's just that he hasn't completely repaid that confidence.

Frankly, it was hard to know from week to week what you were getting with Sam in his junior season. Some of that was injuries. Some is on the coaching. Some is on him.
You make the same mistake that some others on here make in regard to Sam. Shitty coaching had more to do with it than anything. Also when your receivers are covered like a blanket as they were against Baylor and TCU then what is a qb supposed to do? Baylor was all over Sam the second he dropped back to pass and of course we had zero running game.

You make the same mistake that some others on here make in regard to Sam. Shitty coaching had more to do with it than anything. Also when your receivers are covered like a blanket as they were against Baylor and TCU then what is a qb supposed to do? Baylor was all over Sam the second he dropped back to pass and of course we had zero running game.
I literally just put blame on the coaches a few posts ago.

Great writeup. Only comment I have is about baseball and the umps. They were definitely terrible but that 3rd strike Ellis took to end the game was disappointing. With runners in scoring position and two strikes you MUST be aggressive. If nothing else, fight off the pitch. An irrefutable stat remains you miss 100% of pitches you don’t swing at. Disappointing of course, but that’s what happens when you leave it to umps to decide, especially umps that have been laughably bad the whole tournament.

In Duke’s defense, that pitch was not really close.

In Duke’s defense, that pitch was not really close.
Maybe, but it was close enough the ump called it a strike. The crappy ump who sucked all game.

When faced with an inconsistent crappy ump in that situation, I would prefer to swing and take my chances than hope the crappy ump makes the right call.

It's just that he hasn't completely repaid that confidence.

Frankly, it was hard to know from week to week what you were getting with Sam in his junior season. Some of that was injuries. Some is on the coaching. Some is on him.
Some was on the defense, putting pressure on the offense to score every time and control the clock while doing so.
A healthy more experienced defense should take some of the pressure off.

Some was on the defense, putting pressure on the offense to score every time and control the clock while doing so.
A healthy more experienced defense should take some of the pressure off.
Of course. So would better line play. And a better ground game.

Of course. So would better line play. And a better ground game.
Speaking of ground game, considering we basically had two healthy bodies back there, they did pretty good. I would say C+ / B- area. With the influx of Bijan I would hope that increases to a B+ \ A- territory.

Speaking of ground game, considering we basically had two healthy bodies back there, they did pretty good. I would say C+ / B- area. With the influx of Bijan I would hope that increases to a B+ \ A- territory.
That's the hope.

Reactions: utsaappt802
Good stuff main. So, have Leitao or Epps ever played DE in their lives? I mean, it’s one thing to move Roschon to RB from QB as a Dual Threat guy, but these seem odd.

I loved the Eagles when I was young, but for some reason I’ve lost it. Very strange thing.

Good stuff main. So, have Leitao or Epps ever played DE in their lives? I mean, it’s one thing to move Roschon to RB from QB as a Dual Threat guy, but these seem odd.

I loved the Eagles when I was young, but for some reason I’ve lost it. Very strange thing.
a. Leitao was a all-state defensive end. Maybe that should have been his position from jump street.

b. I jammed the shit out of The Eagles this weekend. That band has been in my life since I was very little. Probably the first group my mom ever forced onto me.

a. Leitao was a all-state defensive end. Maybe that should have been his position from jump street.

b. I jammed the shit out of The Eagles this weekend. That band has been in my life since I was very little. Probably the first group my mom ever forced onto me.
Wow. Somehow I didn’t remember that about Leitao. Epps is completely new to the position?

Man, the same thing happened to me with U2. Loved their stuff when I was young, now I mostly change the song. Not sure what’s up with that phenomenon.

I love the Eagles man. One of the greatest bands of all time. I tell my kids how good we had it back in the day music wise. Especially with all of the garbage out there now. I feel for them.

Wow. Somehow I didn’t remember that about Leitao. Epps is completely new to the position?

Man, the same thing happened to me with U2. Loved their stuff when I was young, now I mostly change the song. Not sure what’s up with that phenomenon.
Epps played a little defense, but not a ton.

I think Boyz II Men is like that for me a little.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT