ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (A historical comparison you might like...)

Would you believe me if I told you Shaka has not had a 3 game Big 12 conference winning streak since his first year in Austin and he has never had a 4 game Big 12 conference winning streak until the last four games?
barely.

Not to pick nits with your original topic, but I'd be curious how many conference championships OU has won without "insanely talented" teams. It's not like they have out-recruited us by that kind of margin over the last 25 years.

Personally, I think Mack and Charlie got pretty consistently out coached by Stoops, and the jury is out on Tom but so far it's not promising.
Texas has generally been its best when it is obscenely talented and not really close to that when it hasn't been.

Texas has generally been its best when it is obscenely talented and not really close to that when it hasn't been.
I agree. I'm just pointing out that we shouldn't require a huge talent advantage in order to be competitive. I don't know if it's game day coaching, evaluations, development or culture but over the last 25 years it's pretty hard to argue against the premise that this program has underperformed for the amount of talent it has had.

And he also threw for less than 50% his senior season. Sam has 10 more TDs and 15 fewer INTs in one less season, without having the benefit of having either Priest Holmes, Ricky Williams, or Shon Mitchell lining up behind him.

James Brown would have been a monster in today's offenses? He rushed for 411 yards over 4 seasons, for a scintillating 2.1 ypc. He never passed for more than 2,500 yards in a season, or 20 TDs in a campaign. He threw for less than 55% accuracy in his career, and had 2 entire seasons where he threw for less than 51% accuracy. So if you mean by being a fairly inaccurate QB, who was pretty pedestrian in the open field, and didn't win as much as Sam, I guess I see it. He should get credit for a GREAT game vs. Nebraska, but you don't move into the top 5 based on a couple of games. He had the benefit of playing 2 seasons in a SWC that was a joke nationally. Again, he wasn't even superior fo Simms or Applewhite, so the idea that he would be amazing in "today's offenses" is in your head, because it dang sure isn't on paper. And I watched every game that kid played. He went 4-6 as a senior, threw for less than 50%, and had 6 more Ints than TDs. No thanks.

In addition: Sam is 3-0 in bowl games, James was 1-2, with no bowl game his senior losing season.

That completely discounts the differences in today's offenses than those 25 years ago, particularly for a QB, not to mention the training HS QBs are afforded in today's game. Brown was a better QB then you give him credit for. As for Simms and Applewhite, Brown had a bigger pair than both of them combined.

Even if Sam doesn't win a Big 12 title, I'll always give him credit for being a program changer. Swoopes vs. Buechele produced a five-win season. Ehlinger has been a difference maker.

Mmm, sorta depends on how the season ends. I mean, if we win 8 or 9 games, again, has he really been a program changer? I guess technically you could argue he changed the program from crap to above average.

Mmm, sorta depends on how the season ends. I mean, if we win 8 or 9 games, again, has he really been a program changer? I guess technically you could argue he changed the program from crap to above average.
My definition is turning it from a 5-win program to a team that can win every game. Obviously, that is the expectation at Texas. We know that was not the reality for multiple years.

That completely discounts the differences in today's offenses than those 25 years ago, particularly for a QB, not to mention the training HS QBs are afforded in today's game. Brown was a better QB then you give him credit for. As for Simms and Applewhite, Brown had a bigger pair than both of them combined.
True, but the defenses were also much more elementary back then, as well, particularly at the college level. Brown was great in a couple of big games, but I don't know that would brag about him having bigger balls. He was on one 10 win team. And he was not the best player on any of his teams.... he won something like 20-22 games as a starter, and he had 2 borderline HOF backs behind him most of the time. I didn't say he wasn't good...I would rather roll Sam out tomorrow vs OU than James Brown, any day of the week.

Reactions: Big Bertha
a. I think he does better in the Mackovic offense than Sam, although neither offense was really designed for their talents. James was ahead of the game from a skill set standpoint. He's have been awesome in the modern spread game.

b. Nebraska was a 21-point favorite because they were ****ing awesome.

c. Neither Sam, nor Chris, nor Major win that game in College Station in 1995 or against Nebraska in 1996.
Major beat Nebraska in Lincoln to end a long home winning streak, so I am not so certain.

55.4 percent of the poll on the matter agree with me. 26.8 percent believe it was just outside.
I, like others, am questioning your definition of a strike zone..... by rule, at or just above , the belt is not HIGH ( non strike, thus a called ball)

I am back enjoying the NBA. There are incredible players balling right now. The playoffs are going to be fantastic.

Major beat Nebraska in Lincoln to end a long home winning streak, so I am not so certain.

That '98 NU team was a significant drop from their '96 & '97 teams. In '98 they only 5-3 in the Big 12 and ended up with 4 losses on the season.

True, but the defenses were also much more elementary back then, as well, particularly at the college level. Brown was great in a couple of big games, but I don't know that would brag about him having bigger balls. He was on one 10 win team. And he was not the best player on any of his teams.... he won something like 20-22 games as a starter, and he had 2 borderline HOF backs behind him most of the time. I didn't say he wasn't good...I would rather roll Sam out tomorrow vs OU than James Brown, any day of the week.

That's fine. But I would probably roll with JB.

Reactions: HuffTex
In the quarter-century history of the Big 12, the boys in burnt orange have won the conference in football an underwhelming three times - 1996, 2005 and 2009.

]

UGH

There should be more.

Mack was 1 play away in 3 years from racking up 3 more, 4 years if you count his last BigXII game. . .1 stinking play. . .. . but that is coulda/shoulda/woulda

No. 3 - The stakes are high in 2020 for Sam Ehlinger ...

It is my opinion that Sam Ehlinger enters the 2020 season as the No. 6 quarterback in the history of the Texas program.

It is also my opinion that in order for Ehlinger to crack the top five, he'll need to do more than break most of Colt McCoy's passing records to get there.

It's going to take him winning a championship. Based on the overwhelming results of a Twitter poll taken this weekend, it appears my opinions are shared by the majority of the Texas fan base.

I don't know if I've ever seen this many people agree about anything related to Texas football.

Yep, , , and love me some Sam but no title, no Top 5. . . .

As Crash Davis once said, "Never **** with a winning streak."

So, I won't.

]

Crash was Da Man

No. 9 - The List: Top 10 The Eagles songs ...

Forty-five years ago today, The Eagles had their first-ever No. 1 US hit with "Best of M y Love," which was the third single from the 1974 album "On The Border."

With the band touring in Texas this weekend and throughout the next week, I thought a top 10 list for the group was a good idea.

Rest in peace, Glenn Frey.

10. The New Kid in Town
9. Peaceful Easy Feeling
8. One of These Nights
7. I Can't Tell You Why
6. Already. Gone
5. Take It To The Limit
4. Take It Easy
3. Heartache Tonight
2. Desperado
1. Hotel California

Quick thought - I will die on the “Heartache Tonight” is one of the most underrated songs in history hill. It’s absolutely one of the all-time club banger rock songs of all-time. Glenn Fry is at his the top of his "swag" game". He even shit talks twice during the song to punctuate it. Don Henley's drum work might be the best of any song he ever did. Bob Segar is in the chorus. Seriously, just go listen to the drums. It's got awesome guitar play. By the end of it, Fry is in a fever-pitch and has me ready to jump out of my skin every time. It was never meant to be an all-time great song, but it has aged as well as any song in the group's playlist outside of Hotel California.

This is the limb I'm standing on.

=A]

Found myself listening to the Eagles Sunday night trying to ease the sting of putting down my beautiful girl.

I can find 10 other songs worthy of Top 10 consideration, those guys were AMAZING.

Witchy Woman
Tequila Sunrise
Seven Bridges
James Dean
On the Border
After the Thrill is gone
Lyin' Eyes
In the City

As I mentioned in another thread, my 1st concert was the Eagles warming up for Jethro Tull. . . I'm not going to list the year.

87952277_10221066552716773_734869638785007616_o.jpg

Last edited:
n the quarter-century history of the Big 12, the boys in burnt orange have won the conference in football an underwhelming three times - 1996, 2005 and 2009.

Truly sad... Maybe someday we will get tired of being ou's bit**

I agree. I'm just pointing out that we shouldn't require a huge talent advantage in order to be competitive. I don't know if it's game day coaching, evaluations, development or culture but over the last 25 years it's pretty hard to argue against the premise that this program has underperformed for the amount of talent it has had.
No argument here.

Reactions: styrbjorn
My definition is turning it from a 5-win program to a team that can win every game. Obviously, that is the expectation at Texas. We know that was not the reality for multiple years.
The five win teams "could" win any game, they just lost most of them.

elementary?

As opposed to what is seen in the Big 12 right now?

That only happened because James paved the road. That 1996 team loses by five touchdowns if James doesn't instill the confidence that team needed. He did that No one else. Just ask his teammates.

UGH

There should be more.

Mack was 1 play away in 3 years from racking up 3 more, 4 years if you count his last BigXII game. . .1 stinking play. . .. . but that is coulda/shoulda/woulda

Yep, , , and love me some Sam but no title, no Top 5. . . .

Crash was Da Man

Found myself listening to the Eagles Sunday night trying to ease the sting of putting down my beautiful girl.

I can find 10 other songs worthy of Top 10 consideration, those guys were AMAZING.

Witchy Woman
Tequila Sunrise
Seven Bridges
James Dean
On the Border
After the Thrill is gone
Lyin' Eyes
In the City

As I mentioned in another thread, my 1st concert was the Eagles warming up for Jethro Tull. . . I'm not going to list the year.

87952277_10221066552716773_734869638785007616_o.jpg
a. I secretly love Witchy Woman.

b. I'm sorry about your loss. Beautiful dogs.

Tyrone Swoopes, Jerrod Heard, and Shane Buechele could not win any game. I doubt we ever predicted a 10-win season for any of them. We have shown way more confidence in Ehlinger, and that's the difference.
It's just that he hasn't completely repaid that confidence.

Frankly, it was hard to know from week to week what you were getting with Sam in his junior season. Some of that was injuries. Some is on the coaching. Some is on him.

It's just that he hasn't completely repaid that confidence.

Frankly, it was hard to know from week to week what you were getting with Sam in his junior season. Some of that was injuries. Some is on the coaching. Some is on him.
To be fair, Sam was playing with a bad rib injury last season. It was downplayed by everyone in public, but we know that injury was an issue for him. TCU and Baylor were his only bad games. If I remember correctly, he actually sustained the rib injury against TCU since that was before the second bye week.

Ironically, Sam threw for more yards, had more passing touchdowns, more rushing yards, and a higher passer rating in 2019 than in 2018. He had more interceptions and less rushing TDs, but you still believed Texas had a chance to win every game, which couldn't be said during that three-year time span before he stepped on campus.

elementary?

As opposed to what is seen in the Big 12 right now?
You think everyone in the B12 is running Base D's. Hell, half of Todd Orlando's issues the last 2 seasons is defense was so complex that his young guys spent all their time on defense thinking, instead of playing, especially the guy's who replaced injured starters. While I agree there was no defense in the B12 last season anywhere close to '96 Nebraska, a LOT of the defenses back then would give up 70 to today's offenses...

To be fair, Sam was playing with a bad rib injury last season. It was downplayed by everyone in public, but we know that injury was an issue for him. TCU and Baylor were his only bad games. If I remember correctly, he actually sustained the rib injury against TCU since that was before the second bye week.

Ironically, Sam threw for more yards, had more passing touchdowns, more rushing yards, and a higher passer rating in 2019 than in 2018. He had more interceptions and less rushing TDs, but you still believed Texas had a chance to win every game, which couldn't be said during that three-year time span before he stepped on campus.
TCU and Baylor were not his only bad games. He had four games below a 125 rating.

I think that's a low bar compared to the five guys ahead of him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT