ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (A historical comparison you might like...)

It was high.

I guess we will just ignore the video.
giphy.gif

I mean, if you want to argue outside, then OK. Arguing belt high as "high" is pretty silly. Especially in the context of a batter with a 1-2 count.

Reactions: sua sponte
The subject of "all-time Texas QBs" needs to be filtered somehow for the additional pass and run opportunities that QBs get in spread offenses. It's not fair to compare things like total offense or number of completions for QBs in rushing-predominant eras, like Bobby Layne, Mike Cotton, Duke Carlisle, James Street, and James Brown, versus QBs in spread offenses, like Vince Young, Colt McCoy or Sam Ehlinger, who had more pass/run opportunities.

This is why winning conference and national championships should be a minimum requirement for consideration of all-time greatest, and winning more than one championship should be even more indicative.

I guess we will just ignore the video.
giphy.gif

I mean, if you want to argue outside, then OK. Arguing belt high as "high" is pretty silly. Especially in the context of a batter with a 1-2 count.
I'm not ignoring the video. It's high and dips down slightly, but it is above the belt.

I'm not ignoring the video. It's high and dips down slightly, but it is above the belt.

If that ball isn't outside then it's an easy strike. EASY. You are arguing that, AT BEST, a slightly above the belt pitch is a ball.

Reactions: sua sponte
If that ball isn't outside then it's an easy strike. EASY. You are arguing that, AT BEST, a slightly above the belt pitch is a ball.
I'm arguing that in addition to being outside of the plate, it was also high. Yes.

Reactions: jdsu
On an unrelated note, and I’m sure there’s a way to search this that I’m unaware of, but have you ever done an R.E.M. top 10? I’m an 80s R.E.M. guy, but I’d think that topic would stir up some discussion.

On an unrelated note, and I’m sure there’s a way to search this that I’m unaware of, but have you ever done an R.E.M. top 10? I’m an 80s R.E.M. guy, but I’d think that topic would stir up some discussion.
I haven't. I will.

I'm arguing that in addition to being outside of the plate, it was also high. Yes.

And I'm arguing if that pitch is over the plate it's an easy strike call and this isn't even a debate. Like I said, if you want to argue outside then that makes sense.

And I'm arguing if that pitch is over the plate it's an easy strike call and this isn't even a debate. Like I said, if you want to argue outside then that makes sense.
The fact that no one else has called me out on the issue should tell you that you're wrong on this one.;)

I didn't say they lost the game because of bogus calls.

I know just stating facts......:)

It was definelty a ball but it was close. Like they said in Little League: If you have 2 strikes and its close, you better be swinging.... Tough loss! Hook Em!

I know just stating facts......:)

It was definelty a ball but it was close. Like they said in Little League: If you have 2 strikes and its close, you better be swinging.... Tough loss! Hook Em!
Was it really close?

I don't agree. James Brown in today's offenses would have been a monster. This is a guy that went to College Station and St. Louis and did the damn thing against defenses of the like that Sam has never seen.
And he also threw for less than 50% his senior season. Sam has 10 more TDs and 15 fewer INTs in one less season, without having the benefit of having either Priest Holmes, Ricky Williams, or Shon Mitchell lining up behind him.

James Brown would have been a monster in today's offenses? He rushed for 411 yards over 4 seasons, for a scintillating 2.1 ypc. He never passed for more than 2,500 yards in a season, or 20 TDs in a campaign. He threw for less than 55% accuracy in his career, and had 2 entire seasons where he threw for less than 51% accuracy. So if you mean by being a fairly inaccurate QB, who was pretty pedestrian in the open field, and didn't win as much as Sam, I guess I see it. He should get credit for a GREAT game vs. Nebraska, but you don't move into the top 5 based on a couple of games. He had the benefit of playing 2 seasons in a SWC that was a joke nationally. Again, he wasn't even superior fo Simms or Applewhite, so the idea that he would be amazing in "today's offenses" is in your head, because it dang sure isn't on paper. And I watched every game that kid played. He went 4-6 as a senior, threw for less than 50%, and had 6 more Ints than TDs. No thanks.

In addition: Sam is 3-0 in bowl games, James was 1-2, with no bowl game his senior losing season.

And he also threw for less than 50% his senior season. Sam has 10 more TDs and 15 fewer INTs in one less season, without having the benefit of having either Priest Holmes, Ricky Williams, or Shon Mitchell lining up behind him.

James Brown would have been a monster in today's offenses? He rushed for 411 yards over 4 seasons, for a scintillating 2.1 ypc. He never passed for more than 2,500 yards in a season, or 20 TDs in a campaign. He threw for less than 55% accuracy in his career, and had 2 entire seasons where he threw for less than 51% accuracy. So if you mean by being a fairly inaccurate QB, who was pretty pedestrian in the open field, and didn't win as much as Sam, I guess I see it. He should get credit for a GREAT game vs. Nebraska, but you don't move into the top 5 based on a couple of games. He had the benefit of playing 2 seasons in a SWC that was a joke nationally. Again, he wasn't even superior fo Simms or Applewhite, so the idea that he would be amazing in "today's offenses" is in your head, because it dang sure isn't on paper. And I watched every game that kid played. He went 4-6 as a senior, threw for less than 50%, and had 6 more Ints than TDs. No thanks.
I basically don't count his senior season for a variety of reasons.

To frame his greatness as a player around that year means you don't know what you're talking about in the discussion. No offense.

Reactions: Craben
- Looks like Chris Ash is going to try out every available body to play on the defensive line. Epps appears to be an experiment.

- It's just crazy to think Ehlinger is a senior. Talk about time flying by.

- Roach's number for a defensive lineman was a little surprising. Would have liked to see him have at least 25 reps.

- Do you think any Longhorn is drafted on day two?

I basically don't count his senior season for a variety of reasons.

To frame his greatness as a player around that year means you don't know what you're talking about in the discussion. No offense.
I am not "framing" it around that. He was average his soph. season. He was slightly above average his junior season, with a couple of flashes in big games. To frame his greatness as a player around those 2 games shows you have no idea what you are talking about in this discussion, but are married to being right because it fits the narrative in your OP. Which of Sam's season's do I get to throw out?

- Looks like Chris Ash is going to try out every available body to play on the defensive line. Epps appears to be an experiment.

- Roach's number for a defensive lineman was a little surprising. Would have liked to see him have at least 25 reps.

a. It's all hands on deck for the front six/seven.

b. Tell me about it. These kids go through four years in the blink of an eye.

c. 20 on the bench press kind of shocked me.

d. Maybe Duvernay.

I am not "framing" it around that. He was average his soph. season. He was slightly above average his junior season, with a couple of flashes in big games. To frame his greatness as a player around those 2 games shows you have no idea what you are talking about in this discussion, but are married to being right because it fits the narrative in your OP. Which of Sam's season's do I get to throw out?
The one where he basically played on a broken ankle. Oh, Sam didn't play on an ankle that badly injured? I guess none.

I watched Malcom's BP at least 3x....he used almost zero leg drive, until the last couple of reps. Most guys now really bridge, with just their shoulders wedged, and their butt barely touching, then driving up through their heels. It honestly appeared as though Malcolm hadn't really done a bunch of training in the BP, at least for reps. If he did, he didn't use it...Malcolm could put a week or 2 into that and get 4-5 more reps out of it, in my opinion. If he elects to BP at his pro day, I am gonna say he gets at least 24, which is what Brian Robison got, who was explosive as hell (and 35 lbs lighter). However, Malcolm looked GREAT on the field in his drills, which I think was his biggest need to show scouts. I hope he doesn't sit on his BP. I hope he goes for it on his pro-day.

I watched Malcom's BP at least 3x....he used almost zero leg drive, until the last couple of reps. Most guys now really bridge, with just their shoulders wedged, and their butt barely touching, then driving up through their heels. It honestly appeared as though Malcolm hadn't really done a bunch of training in the BP, at least for reps. If he did, he didn't use it...Malcolm could put a week or 2 into that and get 4-5 more reps out of it, in my opinion. If he elects to BP at his pro day, I am gonna say he gets at least 24, which is what Brian Robison got, who was explosive as hell (and 35 lbs lighter). However, Malcolm looked GREAT on the field in his drills, which I think was his biggest need to show scouts. I hope he doesn't sit on his BP. I hope he goes for it on his pro-day.
Great analysis!

Reactions: HuffTex
The one where he basically played on a broken ankle. Oh, Sam didn't play on an ankle that badly injured? I guess none.
There is that sophomore and junior season, where he was healthy...and average, then slightly above average. There is a reason we were 21 point dogs going into St. Louis. It wasn't because Nebraska was walking into a game against a QB who'd been strafing defenses all season...take his senior season out....he still doesn't get off the bench if Sam, Chris, or Applewhite is there in any of his other seasons. He wasn't all that accurate, as a general rule, and he was wasn't a huge run threat with good ankles.

I know that the Eagles were personally disappointed in the Desperado album but I love it.

And for getting me amped up with LOUD music, there is nothing like Certain Kind of Fool, the Doolin' Daltons instrumental bridge, and their cover of Outlaw Man.

I've never seen better bench press analysis anywhere.

Reactions: HuffTex
ADVERTISEMENT