ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (A historical comparison you might like...)

Original Poster, Site Owner, if I may, did you forget that Gerald Jones once said that Troy Aikman looked good in the shower?
Yes, but that's not quite the same thing as saying he thinks about Dez in the shower.

I used to play in a charity golf tourney in Aspen. Glenn Fry would perform the night before in a tiny bar in Aspen. I’d be dancing 3 feet from Glenn and another 3 feet from Kevin Costner and dancing with one of his rejects.

didn’t get any better than that.
Why couldn't you just freeze life forever right then and there?

Reactions: darrenj and EG-man
Guess my most remembered Eagles songs are extremely different from the "experts".
I seem to always go back to:
"Try and Love Again" (Guitar at the end).
"Wasted Time"
"The Last Resort"
All great songs. Not a slight not to include them in my top 10. The Eagles are one of those bands that have 25 songs that could easily fit into a top 10.

Sam is a much better QB than James Brown, conference title or no conference title.

So are Chris Simms and Major Applewhite, for that matter.
I don't agree. James Brown in today's offenses would have been a monster. This is a guy that went to College Station and St. Louis and did the damn thing against defenses of the like that Sam has never seen.

Reactions: tzrider
I might be alone in this but disappointed in the ratio of NBA to soccer talk in this column.

I grew up playing soccer, I like soccer but are there really more EPL fans here than NBA?

Just a thought.
Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

I'm willing to guess a LOT of those people in the 11% (doesn't need a Big 12 title) foolishly have Applewhite in their top 5. For sure Ehlinger needs a conference title to crack that. Even it would be a barely. Unfortunately for a James Brown, he doesn't have some of the non-football related stuff that Ehlinger has that clearly endears him to the fanbase.
James Brown's career has been a mere footnote in history because of the 2000-09 run, but he literally changed the direction of UT football by winning two conference titles and taking control of the rivalry between A&M back again.

Children should be learning about him in grade school.

giphy.gif
The Dude isn't a perfect man.

Reactions: EG-man and RLong68
James Brown's career has been a mere footnote in history because of the 2000-09 run, but he literally changed the direction of UT football by winning two conference titles and taking control of the rivalry between A&M back again.

Children should be learning about him in grade school.

He also shattered a rather negative aspect of recruiting that schools historically used against Texas.

I know I am in the minority on this one, but Heartache Tonight and Take it to the Limit and many others are way ahead of Desperado for me. Never likes that song much. Totally agree on HEartache Tonight. That one has aged well and is just a timeless piece of awesome Rock and Roll.

It's that much of a banger.

Meh. Just not a personal favorite of mine. Not saying don't like it, but I could easily name 10 personal favorites from the Eagles w/o naming that one.

He also shattered a rather negative aspect of recruiting that schools historically used against Texas.
I remember there being a headline in the Austin Chronicle (I think) before he arrived that said, "Why the black athlete won't come to Texas."

Reactions: EG-man
I know I am in the minority on this one, but Heartache Tonight and Take it to the Limit and many others are way ahead of Desperado for me. Never likes that song much. Totally agree on HEartache Tonight. That one has aged well and is just a timeless piece of awesome Rock and Roll.
It puts a jolt into me every time I hear it and I usually listen to it two times in a row.

Reactions: 1stB12Champs
Great writeup. Only comment I have is about baseball and the umps. They were definitely terrible but that 3rd strike Ellis took to end the game was disappointing. With runners in scoring position and two strikes you MUST be aggressive. If nothing else, fight off the pitch. An irrefutable stat remains you miss 100% of pitches you don’t swing at. Disappointing of course, but that’s what happens when you leave it to umps to decide, especially umps that have been laughably bad the whole tournament.

I remember there being a headline in the Austin Chronicle (I think) before he arrived that said, "Why the black athlete won't come to Texas."

Yep. That was very much a real vibe. People also forget JB has the balls to sign with Texas exactly one year after golden boy Shea Morenz signed. Dude was fearless. Unfortunately being connected to that '97 season really sticks to Brown even after 2 decades. Dude is still seriously underrated by the fan base.

Great writeup. Only comment I have is about baseball and the umps. They were definitely terrible but that 3rd strike Ellis took to end the game was disappointing. With runners in scoring position and two strikes you MUST be aggressive. If nothing else, fight off the pitch. An irrefutable stat remains you miss 100% of pitches you don’t swing at. Disappointing of course, but that’s what happens when you leave it to umps to decide, especially umps that have been laughably bad the whole tournament.

Agree on that. 1-2 is hardly a time to be simply be looking at a borderline strike.

Reactions: AEB1989
I might be alone in this but disappointed in the ratio of NBA to soccer talk in this column.

I grew up playing soccer, I like soccer but are there really more EPL fans here than NBA?

Just a thought.
NBA doesn't really exist until June. Just skim over the soccer commentary like I do.

Yep. That was very much a real vibe. People also forget JB has the balls to sign with Texas exactly one year after golden boy Shea Morenz signed. Dude was fearless. Unfortunately being connected to that '97 season really sticks to Brown even after 2 decades. Dude is still seriously underrated by the fan base.
No doubt. In 2020, he probably would have redshirted. That was a nasty high ankle sprain that he tried to play on and he never should have been on the field.

Wasted Time and Last Resort are two underrated songs. But obviously that's what happens to songs that aren't released as singles.

Wasted Time and Last Resort are two underrated songs. But obviously that's what happens to songs that aren't released as singles.
Nah, they are rated exactly where they probably should be.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT