ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (A historical comparison you might like...)

There is that sophomore and junior season, where he was healthy...and average, then slightly above average. There is a reason we were 21 point dogs going into St. Louis. It wasn't because Nebraska was walking into a game against a QB who'd been strafing defenses all season...take his senior season out....he still doesn't get off the bench if Sam, Chris, or Applewhite is there in any of his other seasons. He wasn't all that accurate, as a general rule, and he was wasn't a huge run threat with good ankles.
a. I think he does better in the Mackovic offense than Sam, although neither offense was really designed for their talents. James was ahead of the game from a skill set standpoint. He's have been awesome in the modern spread game.

b. Nebraska was a 21-point favorite because they were ****ing awesome.

c. Neither Sam, nor Chris, nor Major win that game in College Station in 1995 or against Nebraska in 1996.

Reactions: Craben
a. It's all hands on deck for the front six/seven.

b. Tell me about it. These kids go through four years in the blink of an eye.

c. 20 on the bench press kind of shocked me.

d. Maybe Duvernay.
Even if Sam doesn't win a Big 12 title, I'll always give him credit for being a program changer. Swoopes vs. Buechele produced a five-win season. Ehlinger has been a difference maker.

I used to play in a charity golf tourney in Aspen. Glenn Fry would perform the night before in a tiny bar in Aspen. I’d be dancing 3 feet from Glenn and another 3 feet from Kevin Costner and dancing with one of his rejects.

didn’t get any better than that.
Damn.

Even if Sam doesn't win a Big 12 title, I'll always give him credit for being a program changer. Swoopes vs. Buechele produced a five-win season. Ehlinger has been a difference maker.
He's only changed it a little bit if we're being honest. That UGA game aside, he hasn't been that much of a program changer, unless we're merely acknowledging the incredibly low bar it was at when he arrived.

And I'm a Sam stan, make no mistake about it. He's my redemption attempt from Gilbert. I'm the one that rated him as the state's best quarterback when no one else rated him and he had zero offers.

There's still work to do.

Reactions: Craben
He's only changed it a little bit if we're being honest. That UGA game aside, he hasn't been that much of a program changer, unless we're merely acknowledging the incredibly low bar it was at when he arrived.

And I'm a Sam stan, make no mistake about it. He's my redemption attempt from Gilbert. I'm the one that rated him as the state's best quarterback when no one else rated him and he had zero offers.

There's still work to do.
There hasn't been a game in the past two years you didn't think Texas had a chance to win because of Sam. Clearly, if we wins a Big 12 title, there will be no denying his impact.

I've watched the called third strike video over and over and the pitch was belt level. So, if belt level is considered high, then it was a high pitch. If belt level is not considered high, then it was not a high pitch.

Those returning all conference players stat comparisons are really sobering. Basically says that in this drought period we (Longhorn Faithful) continually overrate the talent on our team (especially if you add in horrible NFL draft performance year after year).

On the other hand ...

It does seem to me that more guys are leaving early for the NFL draft these days and if that is the case, then the returning all conference players across all conferences is probably down.

Is there a team (or teams) in conference with an obvious advantage on returning all conference players?

Those returning all conference players stat comparisons are really sobering. Basically says that in this drought period we (Longhorn Faithful) continually overrate the talent on our team (especially if you add in horrible NFL draft performance year after year).

On the other hand ...

It does seem to me that more guys are leaving early for the NFL draft these days and if that is the case, then the returning all conference players across all conferences is probably down.

Is there a team (or teams) in conference with an obvious advantage on returning all conference players?
Oklahoma returns one 1st-team player, five 2nd-team players and 6 honorable mentons.

Interesting take on Epps. Definitely a head scratcher that he would take those snaps last season. Seems to me Marcus Washington the better choice there. He looks electric with the ball in his hands.

Was it really close?

I thought it was close. Definitely a ball but it wasn't like it was in the dirt... I think that's the idea of the backdoor curve; leave it on the outside (for lefties). Catcher did a good frame job too. Definitely a ball, agreed on that.

Ouch ... so we all need to keep this in mind when we start hoping, wishing, predicting that we'll beat OU this year.

Or you could look on the flip side of the coin and think it might not be as dire as some might think.

A team with that much returning talent was only up a touchdown at halftime and only up by 3 on us at the end of the 3rd quarter. Then, with 1:49 left in the game, we were an onside kick recovery away from the chance of tying the game up.

There hasn't been a game in the past two years you didn't think Texas had a chance to win because of Sam.

Talk about sweeping generalizations. Any objective observer watching the entire course of our games against LSU, OU and Baylor couldn't help but conclude they were more convincing losses than the scoreboard indicated because of some cosmetic last minute scores. The ugly reality is that Ehlinger had a 130 QB Efficiency Rating over the last 8 games of last season and his offense was ranked #99 in most 3-and-out drives. You can't ignore stats like that regardless of how much you want to pump up some local player.

I'm basically at a loss for words over the last two weeks that the Texas basketball team has put together, specially following a week in which it beat both West Virginia and Texas Tech by double digits and has firmly placed itself onto the NCAA Tournament bubble after living in the rubble for most of the month that predated the last two weeks of February.

Who knew that all Shaka Smart's team needed was a Tweet questioning its ability to win a single game after losing a handful of its best players?

All I know is that I want to tip my cap to Smart and his players for stepping up big when all seemed lost, but at the same time I don't want to offer too much praise because ...

a. There's still work to do in the next two weeks in an effort to qualify for the NCAA Tournament.
b. I don't want to jinx my reverse jinx.
c. It doesn't change the bottom line of Smart's five-season tenure in Austin.

As Crash Davis once said, "Never **** with a winning streak."

So, I won't.

Would you believe me if I told you Shaka has not had a 3 game Big 12 conference winning streak since his first year in Austin and he has never had a 4 game Big 12 conference winning streak until the last four games?

Waiting in the Weeds doesn’t get the love it should since it wasn’t released until 2007, but it’s one of my favorite Eagles tunes

Interesting take on Epps. Definitely a head scratcher that he would take those snaps last season. Seems to me Marcus Washington the better choice there. He looks electric with the ball in his hands.
It's curious that they would so strongly believe he deserved those snaps as a redshirt freshman and then two months later could believe he's so expendable.

I thought it was close. Definitely a ball but it wasn't like it was in the dirt... I think that's the idea of the backdoor curve; leave it on the outside (for lefties). Catcher did a good frame job too. Definitely a ball, agreed on that.
Fair enough.

Not to pick nits with your original topic, but I'd be curious how many conference championships OU has won without "insanely talented" teams. It's not like they have out-recruited us by that kind of margin over the last 25 years.

Personally, I think Mack and Charlie got pretty consistently out coached by Stoops, and the jury is out on Tom but so far it's not promising.

Talk about sweeping generalizations. Any objective observer watching the entire course of our games against LSU, OU and Baylor couldn't help but conclude they were more convincing losses than the scoreboard indicated because of some cosmetic last minute scores. The ugly reality is that Ehlinger had a 130 QB Efficiency Rating over the last 8 games of last season and his offense was ranked #99 in most 3-and-out drives. You can't ignore stats like that regardless of how much you want to pump up some local player.

The Texas-LSU was a 2 point game at the end of the 3rd quarter and 6 point game with 3:59 left. The game was definitely still in doubt at that time. It was not until LSU scored with 2:27 left that the outcome of the game was pretty much determined. Not sure how you define that game as a convincing loss.

The Texas-OU was a 7 point game at half time and a 3 point game at the end of the 3rd quarter. And Texas would have had a chance to tie the game had they recovered an onside kick with 1:49 left in the game. Plenty of time. Outplayed for sure but, again, not sure about the convincing loss thing in this one either.

Baylor was a convincing loss no ands, ifs, or buts about it.

ADVERTISEMENT