ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (About Vernon Broughton...)

Kansas head coach Les Miles: "Short of Pooka Williams murdering the woman that led to him signing a domestic violence diversion agreement after his attest of physical battery to a woman in December, what crime would have warranted two games worth of a suspension, since the physical battery of a woman warrants only one?"

SIR!

Reactions: marinehorn
Djokavic will probably pass both Nadal and Federer, in the coming years.

He's 4 away from Federer, and is 6 years younger.
He's 2 away from Nadal, 1 year younger, and isn't just a 1 tournament player.

He's on his way to not only passing them... but possibly making their historic runs look minuscule to the amount of Grand Slams he will put up in his career.
Calling Nadal a one tournament player is silly. He was literally in the semis on grass this weekend and only failed to win another title because of the quality of the finalists.

Weak.

You didn't ask me but....

I'm 100% ok with the question to Miles, but seems like Riley should get one too if that RB has been gone for beating up a girl. Why does OU always get a pass on the women beating?

However, I don't get asking Rhule about Briles' HS gig. Rhule didn't have anything to do with that hire, he wasn't on Briles' staff, doesn't have any connection to Briles and as far as we know isn't doing any of the crap Briles was doing. And why ask him about a high school job? Seems like a shot at Baylor that just lands on Rhule.
I'm all for asking all of the coaches about all of their sins.

Reactions: The Bostitch
@Ketchum Dorbah is top 100
And Giles was lead recruiter. You should have included him in your opening paragraphs.

This will be Giles second top 100
This year if he commits and it will be his top two on the board!
I don't view Dorbah on that level and I'm pretty sure the consensus doesn't, either.

I don't view Dorbah on that level and I'm pretty sure the consensus doesn't, either.
So you are saying Rivals has it wrong? He isn’t top 100?

I can tell you that Dorbah was extremely high on Giles board.

I don't object to them being raised at all. I'm just more interested in seeing you ask them of the coaches in a space that isn't hid behind a paywall where they actually have to respond.

If it mattered to you then you'd make sure those questions were asked this week. Putting them in your ten thoughts knowing nobody at the media days will ask those questions or even see them is just creating the illusion of doing something while pretty much doing nothing.

I have a hunch the real reason you won't make a point to ask those questions is because it'd jeopardize your business and access to the conference and program.
Tough questions can only be asked in person. Gotcha.

The rest of your post is trash as well. I'd contend the positions I often take absolutely jeopardize my business and access, but some things you have to live with in order to sleep at night. That you can't recognize that while throwing out thoughts of me being weak in the spine on the matter tells me all I need to know about you and your considerations.

Do me a favor, don't respond in another thread I ever post. I don't want to engage in conversation with you. If that jeopardizes my business, oh well.

Ketch would you buy or sell if someone made the case that this year’s defense will be better than last year’s? Hear me out- Roach, Graham and Koburn have higher ceilings than last year’s front three, especially considering Hager was among that group. All three sophomore corners are more athletic than last year’s group. Safety position is loaded and will be improved. LB might drop off a bit but I could see Shark and Ossai being game changers. Chris Brown and BJ Foster will offset lack of LB depth. Thoughts?

So you are saying Rivals has it wrong? He isn’t top 100?

I can tell you that Dorbah was extremely high on Giles board.
I'm telling you what I'm telling you. My ranking in the LSR clearly reflects that I'd have him closer to a state top 25 player than a top 10 player.

Ketch would you buy or sell if someone made the case that this year’s defense will be better than last year’s? Hear me out- Roach, Graham and Koburn have higher ceilings than last year’s front three, especially considering Hager was among that group. All three sophomore corners are more athletic than last year’s group. Safety position is loaded and will be improved. LB might drop off a bit but I could see Shark and Ossai being game changers. Chris Brown and BJ Foster will offset lack of LB depth. Thoughts?
Sell.

Reactions: McLovin327
Sell.
Interesting

I'm telling you what I'm telling you. My ranking in the LSR clearly reflects that I'd have him closer to a state top 25 player than a top 10 player.
Sounds good. The UT coaches we him higher than the LSR and closer to rivals rankings but he is definite tweener.

The point is mostly about Giles getting a W. He is a good recruiter when good families are involved. He is not a flashy closer and never will be. He got his first W this year with Dorbah and nobody wants to give him credit.

My issue is that so many want to call him out but let’s give him credit where credit is due.

Appreciate the Top Ten as always. It’s a nice way to end the week. Loaded with recruiting, pro sports and entertainment opinions which during the off-season is critical.

I really could not bear to watch too much of the Deadwood movie. Not sure why. Just felt weak storyline and acting was not a fresh as it was on the tv show.

Keep an eye out for a new show on Hulu called Catherine the Great. Saw the first two episodes and it looks really really good. I think it starts after Summer.

Appreciate the Top Ten as always. It’s a nice way to end the week. Loaded with recruiting, pro sports and entertainment opinions which during the off-season is critical.

I really could not bear to watch too much of the Deadwood movie. Not sure why. Just felt weak storyline and acting was not a fresh as it was on the tv show.

Keep an eye out for a new show on Hulu called Catherine the Great. Saw the first two episodes and it looks really really good. I think it starts after Summer.
a. The movie started slow and picked up quite a bit.
b. I'll keep an eye out. Sounds like a show my wife and I would like.

No. 4 - My Tom Landry crusade continues ...
I’m with you Ketch... I’ve posted this before some time ago, but I remember the first time I walked down the hall after leaving the coaches offices in Bellmont with Blake Brawner shortly after being invited to walk-on... I saw a picture of some of the Longhorn greats and seeing Tom Landry on the wall. After being a Cowboy fan growing up in the heart of Coach Landry’s tenure, I recall having a surprised look and asking Blake... “Coach Landry was a Longhorn?”

The thought that I was a Cowboy and Longhorn fan since birth and did not know that always struck me as odd. My first thought following my question... “why doesn’t everyone know that... that’s awesome!” With Blake being from Dallas and not even knowing why it “wasn’t well known” was also amazing to me.

Seems to have always been a “meh” afterthought and I think that the University missed a tremendous opportunity having Landry be the ambassador of all ambassadors!

Just never made sense and the fact that there was never a “known” explanation for “why?” always made me SMH.

Reactions: Taps One
I trust Roach and Koburn for sure. Graham is the question mark. Needs to show improvement in year 3.
What has Roach done with his hand on the ground under Orlando that would suggest he deserves trust?

I don't know where this pass rush comes from on a consistent basis, an issue that existed a year ago with more trusted personnel.

I don't disagree with that. I just don't trust a single defensive lineman.

I’m optimistic about Coburn, and may have a selective memory, but It seems Hager’s production was sketchy enough to be feasibly replaced and not unlikely exceeded. I’m hoping those two things balance the
loss of Charles O, at least early.

I’m with you Ketch... I’ve posted this before some time ago, but I remember the first time I walked down the hall after leaving the coaches offices in Bellmont with Blake Brawner shortly after being invited to walk-on... I saw a picture of some of the Longhorn greats and seeing Tom Landry on the wall. After being a Cowboy fan growing up in the heart of Coach Landry’s tenure, I recall having a surprised look and asking Blake... “Coach Landry was a Longhorn?”

The thought that I was a Cowboy and Longhorn fan since birth and did not know that always struck me as odd. My first thought following my question... “why doesn’t everyone know that... that’s awesome!” With Blake being from Dallas and not even knowing why it “wasn’t well known” was also amazing to me.

Seems to have always been a “meh” afterthought and I think that the University missed a tremendous opportunity having Landry be the ambassador of all ambassadors!

Just never made sense and the fact that there was never a “known” explanation for “why?” always made me SMH.
We're on the same page.

Landry literally checks every box.

* Very good player that was a two-year team captain.
* On a team that had a lot of success.
* Played in the pros
* One of the great innovators in the history of the sport.
* An NFL icon. One of the most famous men in America in his hey day.
* War Hero
* A terrific human being in general.

It's been so long since you've had a guy like Malcom Brown that you've forgotten just how much better they can be.

Just how much better were we with Malcom Brown than we were last season, when we finished #9 in the country? And don't forget Taylor Bible, Ashton Dorsey, Desmond Jackson, Calvin Howell, and Derek Johnson. All 4* DLs. Just how much better were we with those 4* DLs?

I’m optimistic about Coburn, and may have a selective memory, but It seems Hager’s production was sketchy enough to be feasibly replaced and not unlikely exceeded. I’m hoping those two things balance the
loss of Charles O, at least early.
Your point about Hager is fair, except none of those players replacing him came close to doing better last season.

Reactions: SarkAfterDark
Your point about Hager is fair, except none of those players replacing him came close to doing better last season.

Maybe I’m operating on the theory they can’t be any worse. Lol.

Just how much better were we with Malcom Brown than we were last season, when we finished #9 in the country? And don't forget Taylor Bible, Ashton Dorsey, Desmond Jackson, Calvin Howell, and Derek Johnson. All 4* DLs. Just how much better were we with those 4* DLs?
Don't compare four-star prospects with five-star prospects. They aren't the same thing for the most part.

Yes, Texas was much better with Malcom Brown on the field than any of those other guys. I'm really not even sire what kind of point you're trying to make. Brown was a difference maker.

Reactions: EG-man
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT