ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (All up in my feels)

The best thing the Texans did in the offseason was create some excitement for their product. I haven’t even really paid attention for the past couple of seasons as they were pretty much a laughing stock. But with the Demeco hire, FA acquisitions and exciting draft, I’ll definitely be tuning back in. I suspect they will be much improved, amd it’s going to be fun to see how the Stroud/Richardson/Levis picks turnout all competing in the same division.
I like their situations in reverse draft order. Feel like the Titans know who they are and Levi’s gets a good on-ramp into the job that suits his playing style in a way that should limit his mistakes. The Colts say they want to play Richardson. I’m worried about an RG3 situation there. Flash and then hurt a lot. But we’ll see. He’s exciting. Hope they lean on Taylor. Stroud showed he is a legit talent on big stages. I wish I loved him more. Maybe it’s like those system guys. But he’s going to have less talent to throw to on the Texans than he did at OSU. Like Ryan’s general vibe. Know he’s a good D co. Hard to forecast how the offense will go. Mills is middling. Pierce seems legit. Shultz will help out. And Metchie is supposedly running full routes.

DMO and Vaughan are two of the best stories in the draft and are 100% why it’s always Must See TV. Throw in a few other feel goods—that Rojo presser, Fresno State reunion in NO, Devon Witherspoon going 5 while not carrying a single star as a recruit. Think we’re all suckers for dreams coming true.

This year I was sweating the last of the bigs and am so proud of the work Coach Bo did with Ojomo and Coburn. They took it personal and became the players we always thought and hoped they’d be.

Next year I’m going to be waiting on a Christian Jones’ name. Flood has taken a guy who personified looks like Tarzan plays like Jane and turned him into a worthy starter this past year. A welcome relief in his return. And a future day 3 pick based on Ketch’s current assessment. With room to improve this year. What a story! So proud of Jones and impressed by Flood. They keep Herman and he cycles out without fanfare.

6. Purdue wide receiver Charlie Jones is going to be a guy that Joe Burrow LOVES. I think the Bengals got a 4th round steal.
Right there with ya! Kid has sticky hands and knows how to avoid the big hits. Wes Welker 2.0.

Regarding Terry

This is just where college basketball is headed right now. If you're going to win a national championship you're going to have to do it through the portal while developing high school kids you know are going to be around a few years

Morris left a Texas team that had a much better year than the team he's heading to because people around him think he should have taken minutes from all conference players with experience in Marcus car and Timmy Allen.

Terry has a few guys from the portal in for visits this week and if he can close Texas will be fine. Losing Holland hurts, but the reality is recruiting the elite of the elite high school players is going to come with expectations of him getting 30 minutes per game
Why in the world would we not promise Holland 30 minutes if that’s what you are saying it took? Of course that’s a promise that should have been made

1) Thank you for the D-Mo insight. That’s the exact content I love reading on OB.

2) Texas basketball reminds me of Hoffman’s story he tells at the end of Charlie Wilson’s War; Texas fires Beard so they will suck? We’ll see. RT guides them to the Elite 8, he’s a genius! We’ll see. We lose two 5* recruits, RT must be terrible! We’ll see…

3) Great write up this week @Ketchum but no Booty Call?!?! C’Mon man

Reactions: omaha29
3300 yards, 29 touchdowns, 8 interceptions and he goes pro
4030 yards, 41 Touchdowns, 7 interceptions and he goes no.2 to the falcons (12 game season not including bowl games and big 12 championship)

I just don't see Quinn leaving after this year. He needs more work. First rounders are proven commodities. He hasn't done enough...yet. The future looks good, but why rush into the pros?

Quinn Ewers - It's probably first round or bust because I'm not sure he would turn pro if he thought the first round was truly in doubt.
This is the single most relevant storyline for Texas football over the next 8 months. The implications (and timing) of Ewers’ decision of whether or not to turn pro to the Texas football program are potentially staggering. I don’t even want to think about it.

AD Mitchell - The talent is there. If he has a big 2023, NFL scouts will flock to him.
A possible 3rd round rating for AD and a possible 1st round rating for X. Are we sure AD isn’t already better than Worthy? Seems a much more reliable (and clutch) WR to me.

You can either chill the hell out and realize that Terry is going to get a couple of years to figure this thing out
I’m very chilled. I think that Terry was the perfect hire for Texas basketball. Medium expectations are just what the doctor ordered for the basketball program.

Now, for the next few years, all eye$, resource$, and focu$ should be squarely on the football program heading into SEC play — thank you very much. And for those that think that Texas athletics can walk and chew gum at the same time, forget it, they can’t — nor should they. Hook’em.

Rodney Terry. Im standing with him. Just hope he makes this program his and we go into SEC on good ground
This guy gets it ^^^ Medium expectations set.

I just don't see Quinn leaving after this year. He needs more work. First rounders are proven commodities. He hasn't done enough...yet. The future looks good, but why rush into the pros?
Let’s pray that he has every reason to turn pro at season’s end. The QB room today is an anomaly, with a shelf life of maybe 1 year.

This is the single most relevant storyline for Texas football over the next 8 months. The implications (and timing) of Ewers’ decision of whether or not to turn pro to the Texas football program are potentially staggering. I don’t even want to think about it.

A possible 3rd round rating for AD and a possible 1st round rating for X. Are we sure AD isn’t already better than Worthy? Seems a much more reliable (and clutch) WR to me.

I’m very chilled. I think that Terry was the perfect hire for Texas basketball. Medium expectations are just what the doctor ordered for the basketball program.

Now, for the next few years, all eye$, resource$, and focu$ should be squarely on the football program heading into SEC play — thank you very much. And for those that think that Texas athletics can walk and chew gum at the same time, forget it, they can’t — nor should they. Hook’em.

Does it matter if Ewers turns pro? This is his last year at Texas. And, even with a season similar to last year, he would be drafted in the 2nd or 3rd round. I believe he’s in for a pretty big year.

There is no way Sark is doing one more year with Ewers in ‘24 vs. giving up two years with Arch. Z-E-R-O chance of that happening.

There is no way Sark is doing one more year with Ewers in ‘24 vs. giving up two years with Arch. Z-E-R-O chance of that happening.
I’m with you.

deandre jordan nba GIF

Texas is very much on pace to win their 3rd Director’s Cup. We’re multi-tasking like a mofo. Basketball… it’s crazy. Probably should refrain having anything to with high five stars or guys that truly one and done. Having said that, that isn’t or rather wasn’t the case with Morris. It’s most definitely the case with AJ. Holland is purely about money and is likely upset after learning what Disu got to return.

Last edited:
I’m with you.

deandre jordan nba GIF
Ewers will portal out if he has a season anywhere near to last season. Probably would have to because Makik will be taking his snaps this coming season if he hits a wall like last season.. Sark is not going to f around. My guess is Arch closes the gap on both of them by December.

I don’t think there’s anything to worry about here. It’s nice to know you can’t portal within the SEC in the spring without sitting for a year.

Reactions: Eagle Fang
@Ketchum , one thing I have to say about RT - and for that matter Sark - people can learn and become more successful. Many of us are some 'late bloomers' if you will. I hope it's their time. HOOKEM

Last edited:
Reactions: Motherlonghorn
“(Buy) Jesse Plemons in the next 5 years”
You’re buying all the “Fat Damon” stock you can, I see. He does seem to be everywhere right now.

Does it matter if Ewers turns pro? This is his last year at Texas. And, even with a season similar to last year, he would be drafted in the 2nd or 3rd round. I believe he’s in for a pretty big year.

I wish more on this board comes to this line of thinking…Sark is not going to let Arch even sniff the portal no matter what happens with both Ewers and Malik…

Reactions: Motherlonghorn
Ewers will portal out if he has a season anywhere near to last season. Probably would have to because Makik will be taking his snaps this coming season if he hits a wall like last season.. Sark is not going to f around. My guess is Arch closes the gap on both of them by December.

I don’t think there’s anything to worry about here. It’s nice to know you can’t portal within the SEC in the spring without sitting for a year.
If he portals out, USC will be an option for him…and we all know Riley likes him some transfers…

The good news is that the Longhorns have won the first two games against TCU this weekend (series-finale is Monday). Finishing a sweep in Ft. Worth will leave the Longhorns three games back in the loss column with a series against the Mountaineers left to play.
@Kansas before WVirginia

Reactions: horndr
@Ketchum

I bet Sweat plays himself into 2nd round. I wouldn’t be surprised if he worked his way into the first.

The Will Anderson trade… the Texans still have a first, 2nd and 3rd round picks next year. The reason you stockpile picks is so you can make a big move. The Texans had a plan this weekend. They carried it out to.

Also, I think folks are not paying attention to the roster overall. They’re out of salary cap hell now.

I was not a CJ fan. But, if it doesn’t work out, it’s not a disaster. It wasn’t that long ago where no one wanted anything to with the Jets. Saleh comes to town and things get exciting. Then they go all in on Wilson. It hasn’t worked out for Wilson, but now Rodgers is in town AND he wanted to come.

Texans added some nice pieces last year via the draft (6 starters) and did it again yesterday. And, I don’t think folks have paid attention to what they’ve done in FA now that they’re not carrying 60 million in dead cap money. But the biggest deal is Coach Ryans.

AFC South is going to be a lot fun with Lawrence and 3 rookie QB’s moving forward.

1. Sweat has never played anywhere close to that level. It would be a transformed player if he gets to round two level. Big-time.

2. You might be right about the Texans, but stockpiling picks so that you can overpay for a player that may or may not be good enough to be a true standout defensive player is an overspend whether you have a bunch of picks or not. It would have been a lot to give up for Lamar Jackson.

That's crazy

Sark inherited a disaster from a talent standpoint

The QB room was a disaster

The wr room was a disaster

The online was a complete shit show

The dline was full of guys who hadn't been developed or proven anything

The lber room was full of guys who hadn't been developed or proven anything

He's taken this program, gutted the excrement and injected an enormous amount of youthful talent

His biggest failure by far is not going out and finding a portal quarterback with experience but those were few and far between
I think you greatly exaggerate the state of the roster he inherited.

It wasn't that big of a disaster, but it required the coaches to be really good and Sark really hasn't been that yet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT