ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Close, but no 2024 cigar?)

Right. He’s not talking about replacing any of the 6.1 or 6.0 recruits, which would be the top 50. There’s a group of players that make up the other 15-20 or so recruits in the class that are much more long shots compared to top portal guys, at least as far as the stats go.
correct

The thing that has to eventually happen is that someone inside the program has to implore to Sarkisian the metrics involved and why they are more important than his own confirmation bias towards the kids they recruit.

This reminds me of the scenes in Moneyball.

The thing that has to eventually happen is that someone inside the program has to implore to Sarkisian the metrics involved and why they are more important than his own confirmation bias towards the kids they recruit.

Exactly. Most coaches live in long built silos and they have a really hard time looking outside. Also, most coaches probably think, just like the players, that they are the exception to the rule and can just coach the recruits up better than others.

Reactions: boernefan
Exactly. Most coaches live in long built silos and they have a really hard time looking outside. Also, most coaches probably think, just like the players, that they are the exception to the rule and can just coach the recruits up better than others.
bingo. they all believe they are the exceptions to the rule when the data certainly doesn't reflect that.

All of these players would have made Texas better in 2022.

3. WR Jordan Addison (USC via Pittsburgh): Was named as a first-team All-Pac 12 player in 2022, despite batting an injury for more than a month during the middle of the season. Is expected to be a first-round pick in the upcoming NFL Draft.

7. LB Drew Sanders (Arkansas via Alabama): An All-American for the Hawgs in 2022, who finished as a finalist for the Butkus Award. Is expected to be a first- or second-round pick in the upcoming NFL Draft.

8. DL Akeem Mesidor (Miami via West Virginia) - Emerged as a key starter for the Hurricanes at DT, recording 38 tackles, 10.5 tackles for loss and seven sacks as a sophomore.

9. DB Brandon Joseph (Notre Dame via Northwestern): Started all 10 games for the Irish as a junior in 2022, but wasn't quite the impact player for the Irish that he had been for the Wildcats in the previous two seasons.

11. WR Jermaine Burton (Alabama via Georgia): Was a 12-game starter for the Tide, catching 33 passes for 540 yards and 6 touchdowns as a junior.

12. Edge Jared Verse (FSU via Albany): Earned All-America honors in 2022 as a junior after recording 37 tackles, 16.5 TFL and 9 sacks.

13. OL O'Cyrus Torrence (Florida via Louisiana): Earned consensus All-America honors in 2022 and was a first-team All-SEC player. Is regarded as one of the best interior line players in the upcoming NFL Draft and was a standout at this week's Senior Bowl.

14. DB Christian Gonzalez (Oregon via Colorado): A first-team Al-Pac 12 selection in 2022 for the Ducks. Declared for the NFL Draft in December and is expected to be a first- or second-round pick.

16. DL Gabriel Murphy (UCLA via North Texas): Started in all 13 games this season for the Bruins as a sophomore, recording 38 tackles, 4 TFL and 1.5 sacks.

17. DL Grayson Murphy (UCLA via North Texas): Started all 13 games for the Bruins as a sophomore, finishing second on the team with 9 tackles for loss and 5 sacks.

18. WR Jacob Cowing (Arizona via UTEP): Led the Pac-12 in receptions with 85, while finishing fourth in receiving yards (1,034) and tied for second in touchdown receptions (7).

20. OL Kingsley Suamataia (BYU via Oregon) Started all 12 games for BYU this season as a freshman. Named to several freshman All-American teams. May eventually move into the difference maker category in a season or two.

21. DE Chop Robinson (Penn State via Maryland): Earned second-team All-Big 10 honors as a sophomore in 2022 after recording 23 tackles, 8.5 tackles for loss, 4 sacks and a forced fumble.

23. WR Mario Williams (USC via OU): Started all season as a sophomore for the Trojans, catching 40 passes for 631 yards and 5 touchdowns.

24. DB Eli Ricks (Alabama via LSU): Started the season slow, but came on late in the year to become a very strong starter for the Tide. Declared for the NFL Draft following the season.

26. LB Mohamoud Diabate (Utah via Florida): A 12-game starter for the Utes, Diabate recorded 58 tackles, a team best 13.5 TFL and ranked sixth among Pac-12 linebackers with 5 sacks.

29. OL Tyler Steen (Alabama via Vanderbilt): Started all 13 games for the Tide at left tackle and was named All-SEC by the league's coaches. Played at the Senior Bowl this week and is getting ready for the NFL Draft after one season at Alabama.

31. LB Darius Muasau (UCLA visa Hawaii): Earned second-team All-Pac 12 honors after leading the Bruins with 91 tackles in his final season. Is currently getting ready for the NFL Draft.

34. WR Jadon Haselwood (Arkanas via OU): Led Arkansas with 59 receptions for 702 yards and 3 touchdowns.

36. WR Ricky Pearsall (Florida via Arizona State): A 10-game starter for the Gators who caught 33 passes for 661 yards and 5 touchdowns.

38. WR Tyler Hudson (Louisville via Central Arkansas): Led Louisville with 69 receptions for 1,034 yards and 2 touchdowns.

39. WR Mitchell Tinsley (Penn State via Western Kentucky): Led Penn State with 51 receptions for 577 yards and a team-best 5 touchdowns.

43. WR Antwane Wells (South Carolina via James Madison): Earned 1st-team All-SEC honors after leading the Gamecocks with 68 receptions for 928 yards and 6 touchdowns.

44. LB Eric Gentry (USC via Arizona State) - Emerged as a starter at inside linebacker as a sophomore and recorded 71 tackles, 4 tackles for loss, 2 sacks and 2 forced fumbles.

48. WR Charlie Jones (Purdue via Iowa): Earned All-America and first-team All-Big 10 honors after catching 110 passes for 1,361 yards and 12 touchdowns.

50. WR Johnny Wilson (Florida State via Arizona State): Earned second-team All-ACC honors as a redshirt sophomore, catching 43 passes for 897 yards and 5 touchdowns.
I had #3 WR Jordon Addison, #7 LB Drew Sanders, # 8 DL Akeem Meisidor, #14 DB Christian Gonzales, #21 DE Chop Robinson, #26 LB Mohammoud Diabate, #31 LB Darius Muasau and #46 Charlie Jones on my list.
As I said I don't know that we could have promised all of these that they could have started but I would have liked us to try to recruit the top WR, LB, DL, DB and DE off that list. I think there might have been reasons that they did go after the rest.
#11 NSBTU (not significantly Better Than Us), #12 Edge Jared Verse (should have gone after him(My bad), #13 OL (Did no t want to run off our recruites, #16 DL (wouldn't have played much), #17 same as #16, (thought we had better), #20 Another OL, #23 another OU to USC, #24 (thought we had better),
#29 (Another OL), #34 (thought we had as good or better) #36 same, #38 ( who knows?) , #39 (thought we had as good or better), #43 (same), #44 (same), #50 Wish we would have gone after him, who knows.
When I say " Thought we had as good or better I am typing what I understand what our coaches thought. I don't know I am just a fan and what little I know I have read on here.
Thanks again Ketch.

I think that is Sark"s biggest weakness, he believes his players will always be better next time. He has so much faith in his players.

That’s a conversation? Seems like a medium tier portal prospect largely trumps a marginal HS prospect. What am I missing? Obviously a top portal prospect tops a marginal HS prospect

Just so we are clear: Tarique Milton is medium tier and so is Diamonte Tucker Dorsey right?
My conversation was a question of how to top 50 rated high school recruits compared against the top 50 transfers.

I have no idea if Ketch will consider doing that.

Surely Sark knows Isaiah Neyor a top portal guy is better than any wr we recruited last year. Isn’t that why he got him?

I had #3 WR Jordon Addison, #7 LB Drew Sanders, # 8 DL Akeem Meisidor, #14 DB Christian Gonzales, #21 DE Chop Robinson, #26 LB Mohammoud Diabate, #31 LB Darius Muasau and #46 Charlie Jones on my list.
As I said I don't know that we could have promised all of these that they could have started but I would have liked us to try to recruit the top WR, LB, DL, DB and DE off that list. I think there might have been reasons that they did go after the rest.
#11 NSBTU (not significantly Better Than Us), #12 Edge Jared Verse (should have gone after him(My bad), #13 OL (Did no t want to run off our recruites, #16 DL (wouldn't have played much), #17 same as #16, (thought we had better), #20 Another OL, #23 another OU to USC, #24 (thought we had better),
#29 (Another OL), #34 (thought we had as good or better) #36 same, #38 ( who knows?) , #39 (thought we had as good or better), #43 (same), #44 (same), #50 Wish we would have gone after him, who knows.
When I say " Thought we had as good or better I am typing what I understand what our coaches thought. I don't know I am just a fan and what little I know I have read on here.
Thanks again Ketch.
I don't have a single clue why you think Texas had better options than these players. For example, Texas had two wide receivers it felt it could use all season and you think Texas had better options than the receivers?

You do know that I'm talking about trying to be a championship team and not what it was, right?

Not sure if this has been discussed at all…but I saw something on Instagram where Marion mentioned that Worthy played all season with a broken hand..what’s the story on that one?

Not sure if this has been discussed at all…but I saw something on Instagram where Marion mentioned that Worthy played all season with a broken hand..what’s the story on that one?
I believe he's wearing a soft cast at the moment. Not a single person, including those close to Worthy, made an issue out of an injury during the season.

Reactions: Hatucker1995
I believe he's wearing a soft cast at the moment. Not a single person, including those close to Worthy, made an issue out of an injury during the season.
Figured. Just wasn’t sure the extent of that injury. I saw on one of his Instagram posts that he was wearing a cast.

I don't have a single clue why you think Texas had better options than these players. For example, Texas had two wide receivers it felt it could use all season and you think Texas had better options than the receivers?

You do know that I'm talking about trying to be a championship team and not what it was, right?
Here is the clue
I listed nine players that were in the portal that I thought Texas should have tried to get.
I responded with the reason I understand (based on reading information here) that the Texas coaching staff may not have pursued others.
I asked if you disagreed with my stated reasons and why.
Reasons like;
1) they didn’t want to upset HS recruiting- OL
2) they thought they had similar players on the roster
3) in some cases there was just not enough history to use a scholarship on that player.

Earlier I asked what the impact the top fifty freshman recruits had in their first year for comparison to the top fifty transfers. At some time when you were looking for something when you were bored.
I have been a member since you started, primarily to support your effort.
Over twenty years but you are successful and don’t need a new single old member.

Here is the clue
I listed nine players that were in the portal that I thought Texas should have tried to get.
I responded with the reason I understand (based on reading information here) that the Texas coaching staff may not have pursued others.
I asked if you disagreed with my stated reasons and why.
Reasons like;
1) they didn’t want to upset HS recruiting- OL
2) they thought they had similar players on the roster
3) in some cases there was just not enough history to use a scholarship on that player.

Earlier I asked what the impact the top fifty freshman recruits had in their first year for comparison to the top fifty transfers. At some time when you were looking for something when you were bored.
I have been a member since you started, primarily to support your effort.
Over twenty years but you are successful and don’t need a new single old member.

I think with the OL, specifically, it came down to not wanting to chase away OL from the 2022 class.

In general, Sark just prefers HS kids.

Reactions: boernefan
He inherited a team that was viewed as one of the best in the country and he hasn't crashed the car.

That's not enough to warrant giving him the job.

If that's not obvious, there's nothing else to discuss.
He’s never even won an NCAA tournament game as a HC in 10 years.
If a person with his resume was being considered for the HC that wasn’t already on staff people would be melting down left and right.

Last edited:
He’s never even won an NCAA tournament game as a HC in 10 years.
If a person with his resume was being considered for the HC that wasn’t already on staff people would be meltong down left and right.
I'm mystified by some of the thoughts that people have on this matter.

No, not if he tears his ACL and there are other really talented guys that can be put in his place.
I get it, I meant that he was top 50 at time of transfer. Seems wierd to me to use any date other than date of transfer as you should use the condition present ast the tiome the team took thje transfer. Otherswise, it could sque numbers if some get injureed in practice / early saeason.

I get it, I meant that he was top 50 at time of transfer. Seems wierd to me to use any date other than date of transfer as you should use the condition present ast the tiome the team took thje transfer. Otherswise, it could sque numbers if some get injureed in practice / early saeason.
Well, the list was done right before the season starts, but I get what you're saying.

He would likely have been ranked very high. somewhere in the top 25-30.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT