ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Come on, Tom, impress us...)

Ketch, I thought the acting by the two main characters in Marriage Story was spectacular. A coupe screen ness in particular were amazing.
I need to see it. It's on my absolute to-do-list!

I worry Herman is either thin on the kind of interpersonal skills it requires to go out and make top hires, or he has his guys and isn’t too well liked outside of that circle. I haven’t ever heard that but it always seemed like Mack was “good friends” with every D1 coach out there. That had to have helped in hiring assistants.
I don't know that I have a clear answer yet on the concerns. Maybe a smidge of a lot of things added together.

Once again, great TTFTW.

I like the new anti-Kool-Aid theme. It isn't negative, but it does say "Show me, before I buy-in" and that's not unfair.

What I don't get is if Herman's coordinator hires were OK, why would those coordinators settle for run off the mill position coaches? And why would CDC settle for mediocrity? Btw, those are questions; not arguments. I'm seriously asking.

When Riley fired his DC, did they get rid of all the defensive position coaches too? If so, who did they hire and how to they compare? That will give me a legit gauge to know how we are doing here.

Lastly, F that dude in the SF luxury suite. Don't give him any power over who or what you want to cheer for. You're a successful, responsible grown ass man now with a family of your own. The best thing he gave you was a blueprint of how not to treat your own children. Honestly if you ever bother to have another thought of him, you should be thankful for that. You'll end up with more joy from being a great dad than you ever could have gotten from him anyway.
a. Good questions. For Ash, it might be that the best combo of all the things he's looking for is Valai, but it's just impossible for there not to be some optics concerns.

b. I don't recall what happened specifically with Riley, except he inherited the entire staff. I'll check into it.

c. Thanks for the kind words. I really don't think about it much, but it was on my mind some this weekend. Not really sure why this weekend more than others.

Man what a deal on trying to hire assist coaches....Hiring is real hard!!!!! Now you are on your 3rd, 4th and 5th place coaches??
Why have you not hired Okam....(bunch of crap), Line Backer Coach (not the old scruffyyyy coach) Huck, how about Tight End Coach????.
Screwed around and all the good young coaches have signed, even the old ones. This is on you Herman.

January 16th is on us in 2 days and we need our coaches too "(Also)" recruit, and the January 18th is also upon us (recruits have to meet their coaches that will teach them to be their best)

Have a good Monday...Hook'em

Man what a deal on trying to hire assist coaches....Hiring is real hard!!!!! Now you are on your 3rd, 4th and 5th place coaches??
Why have you not hired Okam....(bunch of crap), Line Backer Coach (not the old scruffyyyy coach) Huck, how about Tight End Coach????.
Screwed around and all the good young coaches have signed, even the old ones. This is on you Herman.

January 16th is on us in 2 days and we need our coaches too "(Also)" recruit, and the January 18th is also upon us (recruits have to meet their coaches that will teach them to be their best)

Have a good Monday...Hook'em
I don't know if it's time to panic (that hasn't crossed my mind), but it's imperative that these last three coaches are bombshells. Gotta bring in some dudes with bad mother****er written on their wallets.

Reactions: DrHorn98
Did you not go to Texas? (Nothing against t-shirt fans). But if you did go to UT, who else you going to support?
Exactly. You're either a fan or not. I support the team and will always hope and expect bigger and better things. Disappointed? Sure. But true fans will always have high expectations. Our day will come and I choose to believe it will come within the next few years.

Reactions: cooleyo
I don't know if it's time to panic (that hasn't crossed my mind), but it's imperative that these last three coaches are bombshells. Gotta bring in some dudes with bad mother****er written on their wallets.
I hear ya but I’m just not sure that all/any of those BMF’s are actually/really available. Gone are the days we can just money-whip coaches, and/or some might want to wait and see if Herman makes it or not before coming over. I mean it’s a catch 22, we blast Herman for not winning the conference, etc. make his seat hot, and then wonder why he can’t convince coaches to come here when his seat is hot. Bottles my mind!

I hear ya but I’m just not sure that all/any of those BMF’s are actually/really available. Gone are the days we can just money-whip coaches, and/or some might want to wait and see if Herman makes it or not before coming over. I mean it’s a catch 22, we blast Herman for not winning the conference, etc. make his seat hot, and then wonder why he can’t convince coaches to come here when his seat is hot. Bottles my mind!
why are the days gone when you can money-whip someone?

Really made me feel good.

on a day when the Texans threw up on their shoes, John Oliver made me feel much better..,

sorry about your dad— I married a woman with 4 children whose dad did much the same as I suspect yours did- He went to Oregon from Richmond TX and their relationship while cordial will never be paternal... Now that they’re adults Even our son who is a pastor battles with this... the good part is the heroic role that it sounds like the women in your life made to fill the void and the dedication to fatherhood that you regularly display...

@Russhorn I'm not saying that neither can be very, very good coaches at Texas. I'm merely saying we can't remotely pretend that they are the best candidates available without the relationships that both are leaning on to get hires. Without them, they are not here.

That was a problem with the last staff.

Again, not the best analogy, but if yo
100%! And I have a feeling TO will be bringing it against us.
Will he be bringing it from 12 yards deep in the secondary? ;)

Reactions: EG-man
The only thing he's gonna bring is a delayed DB blitz from a couple states over.
History of our ex-coaches and players seem to be that they are extraordinarily motivated to bring more than the usual. Not sure why OB always underestimates our opponents and overestimates our abilities/status (e.g BlowU will suck next year and they never do).

Last edited:
why are the days gone when you can money-whip someone?
Because coaches are smart enough to know that Herman’s seat is hot and no guarantees of them staying here. I know some would go for the money, maybe. But we aren’t the sure/stable thing that we were under Mack, at least not right now. Also, BMFers are generally at the big time programs or in the pros who can also afford to counter our money-whip. It’s a much more even playing field, imo.

Because coaches are smart enough to know that Herman’s seat is hot and no guarantees of them staying here. I know some would go for the money, maybe. But we aren’t the sure/stable thing that we were under Mack, at least not right now. Also, BMFers are generally at the big time programs or in the pros who can also afford to counter our money-whip. It’s a much more even playing field, imo.
Is Texas not a big-time program?

Is Texas not a big-time program?
of course! I think I said or meant to say “other” big time programs. Seemed obvious but ok. But we also haven’t been winning conferences or been in the playoffs and our coach is on the hot seat, not the coaches at OTHER big time programs. Are you telling me it’s just as easy to hire the best to UT in this current environment as it was under Mack?

of course! I think I said or meant to say “other” big time programs. Seemed obvious but ok. But we also haven’t been winning conferences or been in the playoffs and our coach is on the hot seat, not the coaches at OTHER big time programs. Are you telling me it’s just as easy to hire the best to UT in this current environment as it was under Mack?
That's a good question.

The answer is probably not.

Reactions: EG-man
Scorsese can’t be in it for the Irishman. He loses it alone for staging the ridiculous RD “fight”scene. Add in casting RD and he gone.
He was nominated today. FYI.[/QUOTE]
Of course he was. He matches the demographics of the voters

Your concerns about Herman's hires and potential hires are spot-on. Right now the only pick which seems to be impressing many people elsewhere is Yurcich, and even he hasn't been the sole play-caller at the programs fueling his reputation.

This is Herman's last chance to get it right. I hope he's doing so, but as you noted, it feels like he's looking only within his comfort circle. And that's disconcerting.

Your concerns about Herman's hires and potential hires are spot-on. Right now the only pick which seems to be impressing many people elsewhere is Yurcich, and even he hasn't been the sole play-caller at the programs fueling his reputation.

This is Herman's last chance to get it right. I hope he's doing so, but as you noted, it feels like he's looking only within his comfort circle. And that's disconcerting.
Hey, to be fair, the recent dude doesn't seem to follow the trend!

It's just kind of weird seeing the level of quality that used to be taken for granted when Texas was hiring was the level of gamble that seems to be taken in 2020.

Winning matters.

Reactions: SkullSplitter
Scorsese can’t be in it for the Irishman. He loses it alone for staging the ridiculous RD “fight”scene. Add in casting RD and he gone.
He was nominated today. FYI.[/QUOTE]

All with the credibility of a California ballot harvesting.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT