ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Come on, Tom, impress us...)

If that was the only data point and the decision was made in a vacuum, sure. But the reality is that there is much more to consider when evaluating the hire. Ash is a secondary guy, Valai has NFL experience, and he's an elite recruiter who has local ties and a great reputation with the private trainers that work with pretty much all elite talent in this state. Very excited about this hire.
He was an analysist in the NFL...no coaching experience. I think what Ketch is saying and what I agree with is it would have been nice to bring someone in with recruiting and coaching chops on his CV.

Hope you are right about the wide receiver talent, but there is very little production coming back, and no one has speed and skill even close to Duvernay.( insert Jake Smith praise here)
Also, Eagles has a long way to go to be the threat CJ was.
I think we're underrating the season that Eagles just had, probably like we underrated the season that Duvernay had in 2018.

522 yards and six touchdowns on 16+ yards per reception as the No.3 and sometimes No.4 receiver is pretty damn good.

It's very similar to the kind of season Ceedee Lamb in his first real season as a contributor. Not saying Eagles is going to be Lamb, but I am providing a little context.

Just wanted to let you know how much I respect you for always keeping it real and giving your thoughts that might not always be popular to your subscribers. As someone that has been here over 10 years it's one of the things that I've always loved about this place. As the owner of the site and having a large contingency of the fan base on this board that acts as if you've insulted their wife or kids if a poster says anything remotely negative about UT............you have always kept it as real as can be.

I may not always agree with your opinion on things and you might not always agree with mine or other posters, but I know I can count on you to always give your unbiased honest to god feelings on a subject and not care if it isn't rainbows and unicorns.

Thanks Ketch.

Sincerely.....I mean that.[/QUOTE]
Thank you, man. As someone that struggled through headaches yesterday to get the article done, I really appreciate it.

Seriously, I really mean that, too.

Reactions: St. Vince 4 Prez
100% agree. There is nothing about the hire of Valai or Coleman that makes me feel like they hired the best available option. Both may go on to be great hires, but i'm highly skeptical of the two hires. Seems more of the same as Round 1 of the initial hires.

Ash and Yurcich are both solid hires.

The rest of the staff that gets hired need to be great and not a guy that they staff already has saved on their speed dial.
You and I are on the same page on this one.

I have the same complaint. Watching the Chiefs/Texans game, I saw several times that Kelce made double moves on his route to get free and free himself open. I told my brother I have not seen a Texas tight end make any kind of move ever that resembled those kind of moves to get free from coverage and give the QB an open target. Why in the hell not?!? Coach it mo-fos!
To be fair, Travis Kelce is one of the biggest freaks to ever play his position.

Dry sockets are ass my dude. Wisdom teeth removed at 40 and I got them. The substitute doctor was a massive douche who seemed to take pleasure in packing the extraordinarily painful extraction location with shit that tasted like cloves. The buttmunch seemed to like telling me that no pain meds wood help the process then jammed some big ass chop sticks with the clove shit in my wound.

good news is the medicine works and gets better very quickly.
My experience is slightly better than that, but yeah, I've had it thrown in my face several times that the fact I had this done at 43 means I created my own uphill shit creek.

Reactions: Oddguwop
Hope you get to feeling better Ketch. Agree with everything you wrote. I'm not holding my breath on Herman surprising us, but I'm hoping. When we struck out on Josh Lupoi and then the rumors started flying about the failed and fired LB/DC for NC State, I realized it's possible we may have another Tim Beck moment...although Beck could at least recruit. This guy is older than me, so I'm still holding out hope Herman can still surprise us and this is just a rumor. Finally, I saw that last Tweet you posted of the cancer survivor kid returning to school earlier today and it brought tears to my eyes. Awesome addition and great way to end your blog.

Hook'em[/QUOTE]
Here's to a great week, my man. You brought a smile to my face on this Monday morning.

Reactions: c'est la vie
Ketch brother I feel you and I just shared your story with my wife. Can't say much else other than miserable human beings like that don't deserve your time or thoughts but I know it's more complicated than that
It's weird, I don't think about it all the time, but this weekend I did.

I've been rooting for Kyle all season, but then I had the image of my dad sitting with the rest of the family I've never been introduced to and it just kind of impacted me on Saturday.

If the 49ers win the title, I won't be mad or anything. I'm not really wired like that, but for a moment this weekend I probably was.

Reactions: Never Nuff Horns
I know this is a down year for movies, but I don’t understand your fascination with Parasite. It was a decent movie that was somewhat entertaining, but Best Picture. GTFO.
Just nominated today for Best Picture.

you think I’m an aggy troll for saying something similar - or at least said my opinion was worthless shit

I’m a ut grad and 19 year season ticket holder, maybe we just don’t have the same opinion? I am seriously underwhelmed with these hires sorry
No one could ever call o5prey an Aggie.

He and I have 20 years of emails that suggest otherwise.;)

Hey Ketch, he is losing more than you are by denying the relationship. God Blessed you in many other ways - your Mom, wife and sons, desire to help others and your business.
Thanks for the kind words. Really appreciate them. Have a great weekQ!

Reactions: TexSoul
My guess is the $$ offered for LB coach at Tech was better than the $$'s offered by West Topeka College.
I think having a chance to stay in the same conference as Texas was a big factor. Fired assistants love to give big FUs if given a chance.

Reactions: EG-man
@Ketchum your take on the coaching search seems 100% opposite Anwar's take in his Sunday article.

Is that deliberate or just differing points of view on the topic? You seem to have a general disdain for Tom Herman. I think he would have to hire all NFL coaches to make the masses happy here.
a. Nothing deliberate. I just wrote about what I was feeling/thinking. I don't know that my team and I agree on everything and most of what we do is very organic and not staged.

b. I don't feel disdain for Herman. That feels like a word that would feel personal and I don't have nay personal angst for Herman. I feel like I've written quite a few very positive columns about him and i commend him in the areas I think he succeeds in.

c. There's no reason to post an extreme "hiring all NFL coaches" to make your point. I've outlined my concerns, none of which you quoted and disagreed with.

Scorsese can’t be in it for the Irishman. He loses it alone for staging the ridiculous RD “fight”scene. Add in casting RD and he gone.[/QUOTE]
He was nominated today. FYI.

Current Burrow O/U passing yards is 360 ....whatcha got?

The fact that you have Once Upon a Time in multiple top 5s is more of an indictment of the current movie industry. It was an ok movie but highly overrated, IMO.
a. I'll take the under... slightly.

b. It was officially nominated today in all of the categories that I nominated them in. It's better than ok IMO.

@Ketchum:
The last monster RB to drag his team to a title was Jamaal Lewis for Baltimore.

Trent Dilfer says "thanks"

a. Nothing deliberate. I just wrote about what I was feeling/thinking. I don't know that my team and I agree on everything and most of what we do is very organic and not staged.

b. I don't feel disdain for Herman. That feels like a word that would feel personal and I don't have nay personal angst for Herman. I feel like I've written quite a few very positive columns about him and i commend him in the areas I think he succeeds in.

c. There's no reason to post an extreme "hiring all NFL coaches" to make your point. I've outlined my concerns, none of which you quoted and disagreed with.
Wasn't as a knock or critique of your opinion. I was mentioning the "NFL coaches" based on the belief system that exists with OB users in general. No matter who he hires, he wont appease the masses until he wins a National Championship.

I know it might sound stupid, but when I write I try to give you guys a piece of me. My columns aren't just words in my head, but pieces of what's inside my soul.
It does't sound stupid at all. I feel what you're saying. Growing older, I've come to grips with a lot of things that I've spent two decades trying to bury and only way for me to move forward in my life was to talk about them and acknowledge them.

Wasn't as a knock or critique of your opinion. I was mentioning the "NFL coaches" based on the belief system that exists with OB users in general. No matter who he hires, he wont appease the masses until he wins a National Championship.
I can only speak for myself, but it just seems like every hire comes from a list of whoever is in Herman's cell phone.

One of the things I really respect about Mack is that he went after the best he could get and he rarely had a personal relationship with those that he hired.

I see you are a Coleman fan so I understand your comment. However, to add in a plant one direction and come back the other way to get the DB's off balance is very simple to add. It's a simple tweak to running a route. Especially over 8 practices.
Coach Naivar's new defense over 8 practices says hello by the way.

I think we could have done a lot better than settling for Coleman. We shall see

Well, who? Is there some magic WR coach who is going to change route trees and overcome muscle memory in 8 practices? While Naivar certainly had an impact he basically just stopped doing some really stupid shit that Orlando seemed married to. WR coach does not have quite as much control as the OC/DC, and while I have no absolute proof I feel pretty confident Coleman affected the game by teaching our return guys how to actually return and it changed the game for us. I like coaches who were hired and trained by the best, and Snyder was just that.

Interesting that none of these are official yet but Anwar seems pretty plugged in so they must be happening. Ketch is right that we need proven war daddy recruiters (at least one) in this next series of hires. Maybe they think Valai can be that guy but it has not been proven over the long haul at a high level.

Ketch, I thought the acting by the two main characters in Marriage Story was spectacular. A couple scenes in particular were amazing.

Last edited:
I can only speak for myself, but it just seems like every hire comes from a list of whoever is in Herman's cell phone.

One of the things I really respect about Mack is that he went after the best he could get and he rarely had a personal relationship with those that he hired.
I worry Herman is either thin on the kind of interpersonal skills it requires to go out and make top hires, or he has his guys and isn’t too well liked outside of that circle. I haven’t ever heard that but it always seemed like Mack was “good friends” with every D1 coach out there. That had to have helped in hiring assistants.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT