ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Come on, Tom, impress us...)

Not an apples to apples analogy, but on your staff I believe Anwar came from Covering Tampa in the NFL. A top hire. But didn’t Jason or Dustin come up as an intern? I think both all are excellent. Point being it doesn’t have to be a big name to be a great hire.
I'm not sure that's really the point.

I would say both Jason and Dustin significantly covered the programs they cover now before they were official OB hires, especially Jason.

Anwar actually came from YahooSports via Detroit via Tampa.

With regards to Lamar getting the Romo treatment I’m sure it will happen but it’s bullshit in both instances. Romo is one of the most under appreciated players ever because of a bobbled field goal hold. Put Romo on the 2012 Texans and they get a ring.[/QUOTE]
Of course, it's bullshit, but that's hoqw it goes.

I don’t know, I think Ketch is off base about both hires. I get that things should be viewed through a recruiting lens but one guy was good enough to have a cup of coffee in the NFL and one was OC for one of the greatest coaches of his generation.

they guy who is wanting some new doubles moves to appear after 8 practices makes me LOL.

tom is going after the best. We will see where this lands.

we are on the same page about asshole dads and Romo.

Reactions: Gus McCrea

I really don’t understand Chalamet in the king. He was unconvincing, if ok. Are we liking him because he was clearly going to be quickly beheaded in any fight but somehow sold it a tiny little bit?

Otherwise I don’t get it. I enjoyed the movie though.[/QUOTE]
He's a place-hoilder.

Reactions: hornin nyc
I don’t know, I think Ketch is off base about both hires. I get that things should be viewed through a recruiting lens but one guy was good enough to have a cup of coffee in the NFL and one was OC for one of the greatest coaches of his generation.

they guy who is wanting some new doubles moves to appear after 8 practices makes me LOL.

if you say so...

Having a cup of coffee as a player doesn't make one the most qualified coach Texas can get at his position. Neither of the two recent hires are the best Texas can do. Let's not be naive in pretending otherwise.

giphy.gif

I'm not sure that's really the point.

I would say both Jason and Dustin significantly covered the programs they cover now before they were official OB hires, especially Jason.

Anwar actually came from YahooSports via Detroit via Tampa.

I admit it isn’t a great comparison, and in no way do I want to make light of Jason and Dustin’s accomplishment before OB.

Let me try to put it another way. What carries more weight when you make your hires, a resume and rep, or what you think about that person and how they fit with the rest of your group?

And get felling better! (Physically and emotionally.) As much as we fuss at you, we do care about you.

if you say so...

Having a cup of coffee as a player doesn't make one the most qualified coach Texas can get at his position. Neither of the two recent hires are the best Texas can do. Let's not be naive in pretending otherwise.

giphy.gif

he spent two years as a coach at KC. The other guy was mentored by the purple terror. I am not sure who you expect but Elmo says chill.

Tell that to a Mr. Bob Wiley and his pet fish Gil. Changed his life in three days. No one you know could have done what I did with him. Ask anyone.

I was even on Good Morning America to celebrate the success of the book.
Again, who do you know that has done that?
I owe my new life to YOU!!! Oh it's so good, it's soooo good.

I admit it isn’t a great comparison, and in no way do I want to might light of Jason and Dustin’s accomplishment before OB.

Let me try to put it another way. What carries more weight when you make your hires, a resume and rep, or what you think about that person and how they fit with the rest of your group?
all of it. I consider every part of it.

Reactions: SarkAfterDark
he spent two years as a coach at KC. The other guy was mentored by the purple terror. I am not sure who you expect but Elmo says chill.
he was a quality control coach in the NFL. He has spent one season as an on-field coach for hire...and it was with one of the worst programs in the country. He's not here because of quality, he's here because of his connection.

The other guy was so well thought of around the rest of the nation, despite his work with the purple wizard, that he worked as an off-field analyst last year.

Me thinks you've really overcooked the grits.

I really don’t understand Chalamet in the king. He was unconvincing, if ok. Are we liking him because he was clearly going to be quickly beheaded in any fight but somehow sold it a tiny little bit?

Otherwise I don’t get it. I enjoyed the movie though.
He's a place-hoilder.[/QUOTE]

cool. I actually enjoyed Pattinson more in that movie.

Reactions: BurntOrangeGlasses
@Russhorn I'm not saying that neither can be very, very good coaches at Texas. I'm merely saying we can't remotely pretend that they are the best candidates available without the relationships that both are leaning on to get hires. Without them, they are not here.

That was a problem with the last staff.

@Russhorn I'm not saying that neither can be very, very good coaches at Texas. I'm merely saying we can't remotely pretend that they are the best candidates available without the relationships that both are leaning on to get hires. Without them, they are not here.

That was a problem with the last staff.

Well, typically analysts get the role so they can finish out getting their giant paychecks from the last stop. I know more about Coleman and like the hire but I hear you. I guess we will see who the rest are.

I just don't understand how anyone can be underwhelmed by the Valai hire. Again, this is the guy Georgia put on the road as an Interim coach because of his recruiting acumen (like we do with Carrington).
Seriously.... I hope you are joking. Calling that hire underwhelming is about as good a spin as one could put on it. Total “comfort hire” but I hope I’m proven wrong.

I think thew wide receiver talent is much better than it showed throughop[ut the season.
Hope you are right about the wide receiver talent, but there is very little production coming back, and no one has speed and skill even close to Duvernay.( insert Jake Smith praise here)
Also, Eagles has a long way to go to be the threat CJ was.

Reactions: Craben

Over the course of the last six weeks, Texas head coach Tom Herman has had nothing but time to put together his dream team of assistant coaches, the kind of group that should have been assembled in his first six months on the job and the kind that can assure that his program finally gets a little higher off the ground than a 30-pound chicken running from the man chasing him with a butcher's knife.

With the addition of Chris Ash and Mike Yurcich, Herman finished the heaviest of his lifting with a couple of hires that represent upgrades over the Todd Orlando/Tim Beck combo, which represents an upgrade within the program, regardless of the letter-grade you choose to give the pair.

What remains is filling out the guts of the program, as Herman looks to replace like likes of Drew Mehringer, Corby Meekins, Derek Warehime, Jason Washington and Craig Naivar - names that mostly made it to the apex of college football coaching in the state of Texas because of their previous connections to UT’s head coach. The goal for Herman with those five remaining spots is to find five of the best assistant coaches that money can buy - guys that can make an impact on the field with regards to developing players, but also difference makers on the road in recruiting.

Of those five spots that remain open appears to be designated for former Rutgers defensive coach Jay Valai. On one hand, I'm completely understanding of this hire because Ash needs a right-hand man that he trusts that is capable of helping install the new defensive ideologies without attending a coaching seminar in the process. Plus, Valai brings some Texas roots to the table and votes of confidence from multiple trainers in the state that go by nicknames instead of their legal names.

On the other hand, it's fair to ask if Valai would have a job in college football right now if not for his relationship with his friend Ash, a truth that has proven to be somewhat problematic in recent years for a Texas program that keeps paying top dollars for coaches who are only on Texas football staffs because of those that they know, rather than those that they've coached.

Another coach that appears to be on the verge of joining the Texas assistant coaching staff is former KSU assistant and Texas analyst Andre Coleman. On paper, Coleman looks to be a perfectly solid college football coach, yet if we look at his resume you'll be hard-pressed to find an impact recruit he's ever had a real hand in landing. If viewed through a vacuum, Coleman looks rock solid, but is he really the best that Tom Herman can do or is this another case of Herman hiring the person in his contact lists that he already communicates the most with?

After all, if Coleman was the most qualified wide receivers coach on campus for the last 12 months, why did it take a season going off the rails to get him involved in the capacity that he ultimately needed to be involved in?

Look, I'm not complaining as much as I'm admitting that Herman's history of staff hiring requires some inspection and just a smidge of inspection thus far is enough to raise the eyebrows. If these two coaches weren't on the verge of being hired by Herman, would either be coaching in a power five conference this season? Very possibly, I suppose, but Coleman wasn't a year ago and Valai only has a single year under his belt at one of the worst programs in the country.

That makes what happens with the next three hires incredibly critical.

Herman needs a trio of bangers from here on out that don't require wikipedia searches. When Anwar Richardson mentioned last week that former NCAA recruiting rainmaker Tosh Lupoi was under consideration for one of the vacant spots, fans put away their keyboard searches, instead channeling their favorite inner WWE celebrations.

source.gif

Coach, I know I'm cranky. I know I'm the kind of second-guessing sonofabitch that you're prone to loath. Hell, as the lowest-rated member of the Orangebloods staff among his own subscriber base, it's probably fair to call me a sonofabitch whether I'm in second-guessing mode or not.

Yet, after 25 years of covering Texas football and college football in general, I know what a championship coaching staff looks like when I see it and I know when a staff isn't up to that level.

All I'm saying is that this is a fan base that would love to be impressed and up until now, it's pretty much starving.

[/QUOTE]

Just wanted to let you know how much I respect you for always keeping it real and giving your thoughts that might not always be popular to your subscribers. As someone that has been here over 10 years it's one of the things that I've always loved about this place. As the owner of the site and having a large contingency of the fan base on this board that acts as if you've insulted their wife or kids if a poster says anything remotely negative about UT............you have always kept it as real as can be.

I may not always agree with your opinion on things and you might not always agree with mine or other posters, but I know I can count on you to always give your unbiased honest to god feelings on a subject and not care if it isn't rainbows and unicorns.

Thanks Ketch.

Sincerely.....I mean that.

Seriously.... I hope you are joking. Calling that hire underwhelming is about as good a spin as one could put on it. Total “comfort hire” but I hope I’m proven wrong.

I can get calling it an underwhelming hire. But not following it being a comfort hire.

It’s like this first section was literally written to get every aggy troll on this site out to say Amen Ketch. Great job..... I guess.

Reactions: Gus McCrea
he was a quality control coach in the NFL. He has spent one season as an on-field coach for hire...and it was with one of the worst programs in the country. He's not here because of quality, he's here because of his connection.

The other guy was so well thought of around the rest of the nation, despite his work with the purple wizard, that he worked as an off-field analyst last year.

Me thinks you've really overcooked the grits.
Bingo!

we are on the same page about asshole dads and Romo.

I see you are a Coleman fan so I understand your comment. However, to add in a plant one direction and come back the other way to get the DB's off balance is very simple to add. It's a simple tweak to running a route. Especially over 8 practices.
Coach Naivar's new defense over 8 practices says hello by the way.

I think we could have done a lot better than settling for Coleman. We shall see

Last edited:
if you say so...

giphy.gif

100% agree. There is nothing about the hire of Valai or Coleman that makes me feel like they hired the best available option. Both may go on to be great hires, but i'm highly skeptical of the two hires. Seems more of the same as Round 1 of the initial hires.

Ash and Yurcich are both solid hires.

The rest of the staff that gets hired need to be great and not a guy that they staff already has saved on their speed dial.

I just don't understand this sentiment. At all.

Article from when he left UGA about his recruiting there

Last edited:

B/S - The biggest improvement will be seen in the Safety room on D and WR room on O (based on overall group improvement in route running and body technique).
(Buy) Yeah, I'll go with that, although I think the defensive line room deserves a shout out as a possibility.

I don't know why it would be expected more so with the wide receivers than the others. Watch the bowl game and they still couldn't get separation from the DB's with Coleman coaching them (granted only one game). They still just run a very plain route with no moves to get the the DB's off balance. Very easy to read and cover routes when there are never any double moves or the receivers do not try to get the DB's off balance.

Perfect example is the Ravens/Titans game this weekend. Route run up the middle on one of the better DB's and the receiver plants his foot in the turf and takes a step like he's going on a flag route and then plants again and turns it up to the post and had the DB spun around wondering where he was. Easy long touchdown. Why can't we get someone to teach or receivers how to run routes and get the DB's off balance and get wide open?

I have the same complaint. Watching the Chiefs/Texans game, I saw several times that Kelce made double moves on his route to get free and free himself open. I told my brother I have not seen a Texas tight end make any kind of move ever that resembled those kind of moves to get free from coverage and give the QB an open target. Why in the hell not?!? Coach it mo-fos!

Last edited:
Reactions: RBJudge
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT