ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Del Conte could have done anything and he chose Herman...)

Ketchum

Resident Blockhead
Staff
May 29, 2001
ee0e3a40b744e2eebc3b4d949eaa9055x.jpg

As Tom Herman heads into the off-season following his third season in Austin, he's sure to know where confidence in his abilities has been shaken and fortified.

In terms of where confidence has been shaken, Herman merely needs to walk outside and look around. His players have been grumbling behind the scenes. So have his coaches. When it comes to the fan-base ... well ... Texas fans don't swallow a 7-5 disaster smoothly.

When it comes to finding that fortification that Herman will dearly desire, he can look in the direction of the place where confidence in him matters the most ... his boss.

Say whatever you want about votes of confidence, but Chris Del Conte gives a hell of one when his coaches need it, as Herman has over the course of the last week.

"The foundation they've laid. If you step back, not in the storm we went [7-5]. We went 10-4. We're at 7-5 right now," Del Conte told reporters on Friday following UT's emphatic win over Texas Tech. "We're in a situation where we lost a lot [of players from last year's team]. When is the last time we had three [consecutive] winning seasons? When is the last time we had back-to-back bowl game wins? When is the last time we had two senior classes go out on top here? Think about that, guys. As much as we want to write about its doomsday, there have been so many great things happen.”

More than words, Del Conte has backed Herman with action. Sources told Orangebloods this weekend that if Del Conte had needed/wanted the money to buy out Herman's contract, a couple of important donors with the juice to make it happen indicated to him that they would get it done if he wanted them to. Everyone always talks about UT's heavy hitters not stepping up enough, but the support was absolutely there for change if Del Conte wanted change.

Del Conte stood fully in support of Herman. Period.

According to our sources, Del Conte strongly believes that removing Herman three years after Charlie Strong was fired after only three seasons of his own would represent a two steps forward, five steps backwards type of proposition for a program that is trying to build stability under Del Conte and not add to its growing reputation for being a program without patience.

Instead, Del Conte has given Herman the green light to make whatever assistant coaching changes that need to be made. Money doesn't appear to be an option. As was the case this off-season when Shaka Smart went out and added firepower to his assistant coaching staff, Del Conte will offer whatever form of support is needed.

A head coach simply isn't going to fail at Texas because of a lack of support from Del Conte.

"Guys, I told you this before," Del Conte continued on Friday. "This has been a tumultuous six or seven years. Three chancellors, two presidents, four ADs, three football coaches, two basketball and baseball coaches, and yet, this is the first time we've had three back-to-back winning seasons. So, at the end of the day, I see light at the end of the tunnel. I try to keep myself out of the swarm, but more importantly, look at the bigger picture. There's a lot of good things to see here."

One high-level Texas official didn't have knowledge of high-level donors meeting with Del Conte, but admitted that money really isn't a huge issue.

"Del Conte can get money," the source joked. "He's such a great salesman that he could get the money if he wanted it."

He doesn't want it.

What he wants is for Herman to pay back the vote of confidence that arrived when he extended him two more seasons following last year's Sugar Bowl win over Georgia. What he wants is for Herman to do what it takes to get the program back on the track that it appeared to be on a mere two months ago.

Let the history books show that however this situation unfolds in the coming months (and possibly years), nothing that will occur was forced onto Del Conte and the rest of the athletic department.

Options existed and for better or worse, Del Conte went with the option that presented the most ongoing stability.

No. 2 - Boom ...

The entire DNA of the Texas football program changed on Sunday. The Longhorns are suddenly looking for two new coordinators and although the announced changes seem significant, the truth of the matter is that Tom Herman might not be done with changes to the staff by the time January rolls around.

According to a high-level source on Sunday afternoon, running backs coach Stan Drayton and offensive line coach Herb Hand are safe, but the job security of everyone else is on a wait-and-see basis. That might also include Tim Beck, who is waiting for his reassignment within the staff, but still needs to survive interviews with a new offensive coordinator, who might prefer to bring in his own people at spots where Beck could be hoping to land.

From my perspective, USC's Graham Harrell and former Ohio State DC Chris Ash represent the smart money in terms of potential hires.

Would those represent elite-level hires? It's hard to say. What represents an elite-level hire? Harrell has been a success this year at USC, despite starting quarterback problems, while Ash was a co-DC on a national championship team at Ohio State and seems to check a lot of boxes.

Would those represent improvements? Yes, I 100-percent believe so.

Harrell can take over the offense in a way that will allow Herman to finally serve as the CEO he wants to be, instead of the distracted CEO/play-caller he'd been on game-days in each of the last two seasons. Meanwhile, Ash is viewed across all of college football as a very good defensive coordinator and seems to have a more flexible approach to the defensive side of the ball than Orlando.

Still, on a day when Herman began to clean out all of the continuity that he had previously stressed was a program strong-point, it's hard to wonder whether or not this is a drastic act by a desperate man or simply a chance to upgrade across the board in ways that were dearly needed.

From my standpoint, it's a chance for Herman to do now what he should have done three seasons ago, which is hire an elite assistant coaching staff befitting of the millions of dollars they will be paid and not merely hire friendly, comfortable hook-ups ... er ... hires.

Herman just hit the reset button on the PlayStation after the game he started wasn't going the way he wanted it to, which is fine, but he needs to know that a place like Texas, you get to hit the reset button once. You get one "Get Out Of Jail" card.

Both have been used.

No. 3 - Scouting Chris Ash ...

In an effort to get a more detailed scouting report of the Texas defensive coordinator candidate, I reached out to some of my connections in the media world that covered him at both Ohio State and Rutgers to get a better idea of what Texas might be getting if he takes over the Texas defense.

Here's are some notes that stood out:

* He comes with a very strong endorsement as a defensive coordinator from the people at Ohio State. One source I spoke with on Sunday, who believed Tim Beck was a very overrated hire when I discussed Beck's hire with him in 2016, believed that the addition of Ash would represent a very good hire from his perspective. The folks at Ohio State give him a quality endorsement.

* The first thing my Ohio State sources mentioned about Ash is that he will improve Texas' tackling. Using a "rugby-style" tackling form, Ash's ability to teach tackling is regarded as one of his greatest strengths.

* A quote from one Ohio State source: "I always wonder about the HC getting busted back down to an assistant. Mixed results sometimes. He was a defensive savior around here so there is that"

* I asked the same source to rate a possible Ash hire as the Texas defensive coordinator on a 1-10 scale. His reply? "8.5 or 9.0.
Let’s just say I would say he is significantly more established and proven than an Alex Grinch lol"

* Is known as a good recruiter, but not an elite one.

* When I asked a source connected to the Rutgers program about Ash on Sunday, I was told, "It might just be that the job he took is almost an impossible job. I know there was a sense early on that he didn't know what he was getting himself into and he never quite got a handle of what needed to be done. I wouldn't worry about him coming in as a defensive coordinator because nothing he failed at here will have anything to do with whether he can be a good defensive coordinator at Texas. Rutgers needs a special kind of special and he wasn't that.”

No. 4 - About the Texas basketball team ...

Yeah, right. I don't have time for that today.

No. 5 - The best thing that happened on the 40 Acres this weekend ...

Let the post-season begin for the No.2 overall national seed.

No. 6 - If I had a vote that mattered ...

1. LSU
2. Ohio State
3. Clemson
4. Georgia
5. Utah
6. Oklahoma
7. Penn State
8. Florida
9. Alabama
10. Baylor

No. 7 – BUY or SELL …
BUY-SELL.gif

Herman’s minimum outcome necessary to save his job (barring some 2008 shenanigans) is an appearance in the Big 12 championship game.
(Buy) I think we're talking about a 9-3 type season and a spot in Dallas as the floor. An 8-4 season without a spot in the Big 12 Championship game would represent absolute failure in Sam Ehlinger's senior season.

Last week you wrote that Coach Herman was out of answers, but now that these coaching changes have been announced, that worry is off your table.
(Sell) No benefit of the doubt will be given from me.

Joe Brady is interested in the Texas OC job? (also...in before the "money whip" him guy)
(Sell) The word about Brady is that he doesn't desire an intense spotlight, which almost caused him to turn down the LSU job. It's hard for me to believe he'd leave LSU (where he has very little pressure) for Texas (where he'd have a ton of pressure on him).

B/S - Van Fillinger re-commits to Texas
(Sell) This one has been lingering as a possible negative development for a little while. Yet, never say never.

Bijan signs here in December.
(Buy) It's a shaky buy, but it's still a buy.

Samples comes back to coach receivers and the WR room takes a 180 in happiness and cohesion.
(Sell) I'm not saying it's a bad idea, I'm just saying that's not what I'm hearing ... yet.

B/S - Texas fans will be disappointed in the replacements.
(Sell) Texas fans will talk themselves into it being a staff capable of winning a national title for at least eight months.

B/S: By the end of signing day, you will grade Herman's hires better than a B+.
(Sell) Let's see what happens, first.

Ash, Harrell and/or Brady are better recruiters than Orlando and Mehringer.
(Buy) Orlando just doesn't do enough on that end.

We're able to hang on enough to land a Top 10 recruiting class?
(Buy) It'll be close, but I'm still in a buying mode.

Is this evidence Herman is changing into a Saban style chieftain or just a desperate move to appease the masses?
(Buy) Yes.

Instead of making the comfort hires in 2016, if Herman brought the best coordinators to Austin (whomever that may have been), Texas would be playing for a Big 12 Championship this year with a chance to play in the CFP?

Basically, Herman’s 2016 coaching hires is why the program is in its current state?
(Buy) Yup.

B/S: CDC would've fired Herman if he hadn't given him an extension.
(Sell) Not if you listen and believe Del Conte.

No. 8 – Eternal Randomness of the Spotty Sports Mind …

... Ohio State was about as impressive in beating Michigan as a team possibly could be. Justin Fields looked like a sure-thing Heisman winner in a year when Joe Burrow doesn't exist, J.K. Dobbins looked like an all-time great and Garrett Wilson looked like a future first-round pick in the making. Man, that's one hell of a talented team.

... Speaking of Dobbins, the former LaGrange High School great, check out his numbers against top15-rated defenses this season:

• 172 and 1 touchdown vs Michigan State
• 163 and 2 touchdowns vs Wisconsin
• 157 and 2 touchdowns vs Penn State
• 211 and 4 touchdowns vs Michigan

• 4 games: 703 yards and nine touchdowns.

... I'm thinking there is a lot of truth to this.

... I don't know about the rest of you, but I kind of enjoyed LSU beating Texas A&M back into the Franchione age with a 50-7 beatdown. Oh, and Joe Burrow is a legend for this. I'm guessing every LSU fan you know wants this jersey for Christmas.
EKqZIxmXkAAag3A

... Dabo Swinney playing the "disrespect" card is absolutely rich. He's so easy to loathe at times.

... That was one hell of an Iron Bowl.

... The Jaylen Waddle performance against Auburn was an all-timer, but will likely be remembered as a mere footnote.

... Oklahoma looks so vulnerable, but I don't think Baylor will have it in them this weekend.

... Attaboy to the Dolphins special teams coach...

... I love the Browns talking smack and then getting smacked around twice by the Steelers. Little man messed with his daddy and put over daddy's knee.

... If only Lamar Jackson played for the Cowboys...

... Justin Tucker FTMFW will always be money.

... If James Harden scores 60 points through three quarters and posts a +50 +/- on a Saturday during one of the biggest college football weekends of the year, did it actually happen?

... Just Messi doing Messi things.

No. 9 - The List: My Current Oscar favorites...

Make no mistake about it, I have a lot of movies to see in the next couple of months, but as the rush of Oscars-bait starts to drop from now and through Christmas, I thought I'd go on the record with where I stand at the moment.

So. Here. We. Go.

Best Picture:

1. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
2. The Irishman
3. Joker
4. It's a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood
5. Dolemite is My Name

Lead Actor:

1. Joaquin Phoenix, “Joker”
2. Leonardo DiCaprio, “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood”
3. Eddie Murphy, "Dolemite is My Name"
4. Matthew Rhys, “It's a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood ”
5. Timothée Chalamet, "The King"

Lead Actress:

1. Lupita Nyong'o, “Us”
2. Beanie Feldstein, “Booksmart”

Supporting Actor:

1. Brad Pitt “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood”
2. Joe Pesci, "The Irishman"
3. Al Pacino, "The Irishman"
4. Tom Hanks, “It's a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood”
5. Wesley Snipes, “Dolemite is My Name”

Supporting Actress:

1. Margot Robbie, “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood”
2. Da'Vine Joy Randolph, "Dolemite is My Name"
3. Julia Butters, "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood"
4. Elisabeth Moss, "Us"
5. Frances Conroy, "Joker"

Director:

1. Quentin Tarantino, “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood”
2. Martin Scorsese, "The Irishman"
3. Marielle Heller, “It's a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood”
4. Jordan Pelle, “Us”
5. Jasmes Mangold, “Ford vs. Ferrari”

No. 10 – And Finally ...

The message board community is the best around by a mile. The reporting is clutch. Hook up a family member of a friend with the Christmas gift that will drive them crazy for 12 months, even if they aren't paying for it. Offer is the best we've ever offered and will be live through Tuesday.

Last edited:
Anyone other than Ash on the list for DC? Anyone...

What other “elite” DC candidates do you like other than Ash?

Are there really any “holy sh*t they hired that guy(s)!?” I feel Herman needs to add some no doubt coaches and absolute monsters on the recruiting trail.

Reactions: oldspur
According to our sources, Del Conte strongly believes that removing Herman three years after Charlie Strong was fired after only three seasons of his own would represent a two steps forward, five steps backwards type of proposition for a program that is trying to build stability under Del Conte and not add to its growing reputation for being a program without patience.

Every idiot poster in this needs to read this 10 times in a row.

@Ketchum reading your post you basically say the decision was Del Conte’s and the money guys would of made it happen if he had wanted change. Fair to say the Sugar Bowl bought Herman next year? Also fair to say he should buy Cameron Dicker a House?

Reactions: dzsmvk and ranrow
ADVERTISEMENT