ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Del Conte could have done anything and he chose Herman...)

Man, I thought Ince Upon a Time inHollywood was just awful. And I love his movies usually.
I saw the Mr. Rogers movie after your recent review and loved it. Tears throughtout the whole damn movie. First movie I remember seeing that makes me want to be a better person.

Man, I thought Ince Upon a Time inHollywood was just awful. And I love his movies usually.
I saw the Mr. Rogers movie after your recent review and loved it. Tears throughtout the whole damn movie. First movie I remember seeing that makes me want to be a better person.
Me too. I've literally been trying to implement more Fred Rogers-style acting/thinking to every day since I saw the movie.

I made a point yesterday to pull aside Hendrix and tell him that I thought he was strong, both inside and outside. He glowed with confidence when I told him that.

Reactions: mb2cotter
I'm still worried about Herman. He has not proven to me that he is a good in-game coach who can adjust on the fly. This applies to both offense and defense. On offense, this may be resolved if he hires an OC and gives him the keys. On defense, more problematic. How did he allow Orlando to call a blitz on that 4th and 17 against LSU?

Maybe he will learn from his mistakes. I sure hope so.

I'm still worried about Herman. He has not proven to me that he is a good in-game coach who can adjust on the fly. This applies to both offense and defense. On offense, this may be resolved if he hires an OC and gives him the keys. On defense, more problematic. How did he allow Orlando to call a blitz on that 4th and 17 against LSU?

Maybe he will learn from his mistakes. I sure hope so.
Everyone should still be worried.

Herman or Beck? Ohio St loved Herman when he was there, and they only soured on him when he started throwing shade at Columbus and standing up to Meyer at camps.
Both, but definitely to a much larger extent with Beck.

More than words, Del Conte has backed Herman with action. Sources told Orangebloods this weekend that if Del Conte had needed/wanted the money to buy out Herman's contract, a couple of important donors with the juice to make it happen indicated to him that they would get it done if he wanted them to. Everyone always talks about UT's heavy hitters not stepping up enough, but the support was absolutely there for change if Del Conte wanted change.
I hope Del Conte understands what this means for his long-term prospects in Austin if these staff changes don't result in significant improvements next year.

His seat won't be as red-hot as Herman's, but it'll definitely be warming up.

I hope Del Conte understands what this means for his long-term prospects in Austin if these staff changes don't result in significant improvements next year.

His seat won't be as red-hot as Herman's, but it'll definitely be warming up.
Not per the big wigs I speak with.

He basically has the ability to generate so much money in fundraising that his job security is almost impossible to penetrate.

He basically has the ability to generate so much money in fundraising that his job security is almost impossible to penetrate.
Which is why I said warming, not hot.

From what I've heard, his security would depend on two things:

1.) His willingness to can Herman after one year with the "new" staff if we don't reach the B12 CCG next year and then play well in that game.

2.) How he conducts a head-coaching search once Herman is fired.

Perhaps this is all just hot air, but I don't think so. There's a new mindset among the up-and-coming generation of boosters; they're sick of focusing only on money, and they're sick of Texas being laughed at on the national stage. If Del Conte assumes that fundraising and building projects alone will keep him safe should Herman fail again next year, he may find the mood toward him changing very, very quickly.

Which is why I said warming, not hot.

From what I've heard, his security would depend on two things:

1.) His willingness to can Herman after one year with the "new" staff if we don't reach the B12 CCG next year and then play well in that game.

2.) How he conducts a head-coaching search once Herman is fired.

Perhaps this is all just hot air, but I don't think so. There's a new mindset among the up-and-coming generation of boosters; they're sick of focusing only on money, and they're sick of Texas being laughed at on the national stage. If Del Conte assumes that fundraising and building projects alone will keep him safe should Herman fail again next year, he may find the mood toward him changing very, very quickly.
I dunno. I think Del Conte wears a golden crown at the moment.

He loves to punt coaching issues.

money

winning

7 Big 12 championships in over 40 years.

I dunno. I think Del Conte wears a golden crown at the moment.

He loves to punt coaching issues.
That's a sad statement of affairs at THE University of Texas and says a lot about the Administrations perspective on a Winning Football program!

It would have been embarrassing for our AD to sack Herman after the contract extension.

Everyone should still be worried.
I know Herman doesn't admit fault to the press but he is a smart guy. With Ash in his ear about the unsoundness of Orlando's defense, I am surprised that Herman didn't make Orlando to simplify it. Unless Herman bought into it himself and only made the change after game 12 or lose his own credibility?

I know Herman doesn't admit fault to the press but he is a smart guy. With Ash in his ear about the unsoundness of Orlando's defense, I am surprised that Herman didn't make Orlando to simplify it. Unless Herman bought into it himself and only made the change after game 12 or lose his own credibility?
I think he just stayed in his lane and let Orlando drive the car in his.

I don’t get the infatuation with stability. If stability is really most important you’d never fire anybody. If you have the wrong guy and you know then you fire him whether it’s year 1 or 21. Just like you shouldn’t stay in a bad marriage just because you don’t want change. If CDC thinks CTH is the right go so be it. Time will tell. But using stability as a reason to not make a change is ridiculous.
This is what I said in another thread. Stability often just means it still sucks.

Reactions: SkullSplitter
Sometimes it's as easy as that.
I’ve done a lot of hiring and firing over the years and I’ve never kept someone because of “stability”. I’ve kept someone past their worthwhile date due to other factors or timing issues (i.e. I needed them a bit longer for some reason), but stability doesn’t win, strong hires win, although I will concede a tiny industry difference due to players/system continuity. However, it’s been shown that’s largely overrated because players respond to good coaching quickly and will stick around to win. So, that negates whatever the F stability means here. Translated, CDC is using “stability” to mean “I need a strong word to wrap this decision in.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT