ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Don't fall for the spring football okey-doke ...)

A real "elephant in the room" is why, after nearly 2 full years and 2 full off seasons is he NOT in proper shape and/or lacking of the commitment. How many guys under Todd Wright for nearly 24 months WEREN'T in tip-top shape.
completely fair question.

Yeah, we keep saying that...almost never do it...Herman was the best coach available and I am cautiously optimistic he is the BEST coach for Texas...
He was the best coach available fora program that didn't want to truly flex.

Ketch, if you want to take this case you have to also say you're ok with Shane transferring, and not redshirting at least one of the freshman QBs. Would you be? It's just when you make proclamations like that you're giving Shane the time to leave and you have no back up. Sam has been injured in College and HS, wp uld you be ok handing it to a freshman with a freshman back up in your 2nd season? I get the positives too it but I believe coaches know this and it's why they don't tip their hands here early.

Now after this year, we redshirted two QBs and bring in Roschon, that's a healthy room with depth. And maybe Sam kills it and you live with these ramifications, I just think it's what you weigh with announcing it so early. If you hold off until camp, you guarantee Shane stays, you have also ensured you have 1 experienced back up no matter who wins, along with keeping a shirt on your 2 fish.

But beyond the obvious positions and players Cosmi will be the guy I watch the most. Curious if he's ready to play RT now and potentially move Kerstetter to Center or still a year away. Good thoughts this week.
Yes, I would be ok with that, if it came to that, and Sam won the job convincingly.

That team without Bamba, Davis and Jones had no business winning the games it did at the end of the season to get into the Tournament.

We were 2-1 w/o Bamba. One of them was a home game against the absolute worst team in the team. Great, we beat WVU that had absolutely nothing to play for. Davis was out only slightly longer (one game) and that was a home game against Okie Lite. Let's not exaggerate the "greatness" of our play down the stretch.

My pie in the sky projections? You must be dreaming buddy. I said we would make the dance and you said we wouldn’t and you were wrong and for some reason it is more important that you are right than the horns make the dance.

I said we would win enough of the last 5 to get in. And I was really worried about that when Mo went down and they did it anyway. Not sure why basketball brings out the asshole fans, but it sure does.

I don't usually make projections, I comment on how the team is playing. Last year the excuse was Shaka didn't have a point guard (his choice of course, but that's another issue) so his offense looked like a bad AAU team. This years excuse was he doesn't have enough experience (again, mostly his choice for not getting a full roster and a couple of jucos) for a team that still plays offense like Stevie Wonder. I hope he gets a strength coach that's worth a damn, and an offense coach that's worth a damn. Because maybe you enjoyed watching this season, but I thought it was far more painful than it needed to be. And I put most of the blame on the head coach.

I like how Herman was maybe the Hottest head coaching guy on the market when Texas hired him, had LSU desperately trying to snag him and yet Texas shouldn’t somehow have to hire a coach from Houston. Agree on the arrogance.
IIRC, Akers went TO Purdue when he left here. We didn't get him from there.
NBD really, but I think @HuffTex included that one when he shouldn't have.
Further, IIRC tOSU got Tressell from Youngstown State, so it's not unheard of..
I too like the fact that Herman was the hot name, and we got him. I hope I still like it three years hence.

Or your disastrous projections?

This season wasn't a disaster, that was last year when we came in last place. This year we just came in next to last place. I guess that's good enough for some people. I think the talent way underperformed, even with losing AJ. If AJ had gone pro last year, this team should have done much better than it did.

We were 2-1 w/o Bamba. One of them was a home game against the absolute worst team in the team. Great, we beat WVU that had absolutely nothing to play for. Davis was out only slightly longer (one game) and that was a home game against Okie Lite. Let's not exaggerate the "greatness" of our play down the stretch.
The fact that this team didn't collapse in a brutal league when it lost Jones was a sign of good coaching.

The fact that the team didn't collapse in a brutal league when it lost Davis and Bamba was a sign of good coaching.

The fact that this team nearly beat a Nevada team with three seniors and two juniors in its starting line-up, despite countering with three true freshmen (one of which should not be playing) and a junior that hit the wall big time, was a sign of good coaching.

His first three years have been a failure, but I'm not going to play the pretend game where I ignore any and all positive things because it doesn't fit the ":he's a terrible coach" mindset that has developed around here.

I don't usually make projections, I comment on how the team is playing. Last year the excuse was Shaka didn't have a point guard (his choice of course, but that's another issue) so his offense looked like a bad AAU team. This years excuse was he doesn't have enough experience (again, mostly his choice for not getting a full roster and a couple of jucos) for a team that still plays offense like Stevie Wonder. I hope he gets a strength coach that's worth a damn, and an offense coach that's worth a damn. Because maybe you enjoyed watching this season, but I thought it was far more painful than it needed to be. And I put most of the blame on the head coach.
What do you think happens to this team is Jones doesn't have cancer and Davis isn't ineligible?

Reactions: Gus McCrea
This season wasn't a disaster, that was last year when we came in last place. This year we just came in next to last place. I guess that's good enough for some people. I think the talent way underperformed, even with losing AJ. If AJ had gone pro last year, this team should have done much better than it did.
Other Osetkowski, who underperformed? Because I saw a lot of guys making progress throughout the season,all the way until the final game of the season.

His first three years have been a failure, but I'm not going to play the pretend game where I ignore any and all positive things because it doesn't fit the ":he's a terrible coach" mindset that has developed around here.

If the first 3 years are a failure then how does is "he's terrible" somehow not at least somewhat fitting? At the end of the day, it seems more clear each day he is in over his head. Doesn't make him a terrible person. Just not a terribly good hoops HC. The stark reality is at best we have the 8th best HC in the conference. And in defense of Okie Lite, their HC simply hasn't had much time to establish something one way or the other.

Reactions: LonghornBuc
What do you think happens to this team is Jones doesn't have cancer and Davis isn't ineligible?

Probably win a couple more games, find ourselves in a dogfight type 8/9 slot and likely get bounced 2nd round at best.

If the first 3 years are a failure then how does is "he's terrible" somehow not at least somewhat fitting? At the end of the day, it seems more clear each day he is in over his head. Doesn't make him a terrible person. Just not a terribly good hoops HC. The stark reality is at best we have the 8th best HC in the conference. And in defense of Okie Lite, their HC simply hasn't had much time to establish something one way or the other.
He didn't do a bad job in year 1 or 3. He just didn't win in the Tournament. He lost on a half court shot and in overtime of two games.

The details matter.

Probably win a couple more games, find ourselves in a dogfight type 8/9 slot and likely get bounced 2nd round at best.
at best?

This team's ceiling was Sweet 16 without them. It should have beaten Nevada and Cincy was doable, but certainly not probable.

He had one successful season when he was hired as a head coach. Less of a resume than Shaka.
And most everyone here wanted him and had him top of the list. The majority anyway. He was a hot hot name nationally too and seen as the next possible urban Meyer type guy.

I don’t think Texas can afford to be so arrogant that someone like Herman should have been passed over because he was coaching at Houston. LSU would have hired him easily had he wanted that job over Texas. Texas was his dream job so not a surprise he came here but let’s not pretend he was going to get stuck with small potatoes had he and Texas not been on a long collision course

He didn't do a bad job in year 1 or 3. He just didn't win in the Tournament. He lost on a half court shot and in overtime of two games.

The details matter.

They do. And unfortunately, much like Strong, Shaka is terrible at details.

Last year we were one of the worst teams in the league due to Barnes' roster management. It didn't help that we had to kick off the best player on the team due to attitude issues.

This year we were tied for 6th and that is not good enough. We lost to a sweet 16 team in OT. All of the top 4 teams in conference are in the sweet 16. All four of those teams have junior and senior dominated teams where their best players are juniors and seniors.

Last year we were one of the worst teams in the league due to Barnes' roster management. It didn't help that we had to kick off the best player on the team due to attitude issues.

Sorry, but with all the options available in college hoops, the Barnes blame game really doesn't fly.

IIRC, Akers went TO Purdue when he left here. We didn't get him from there.
NBD really, but I think @HuffTex included that one when he shouldn't have.
Further, IIRC tOSU got Tressell from Youngstown State, so it's not unheard of..
I too like the fact that Herman was the hot name, and we got him. I hope I still like it three years hence.

Akers came to Texas from Wyoming and went to Purdue after being fired at Texas.

So the school may be different, but the original point is the same.

Reactions: NativeTex
Texas played NINE teams in the Sweet 16 this season, including A&M.

It won games against West Virginia, Tech and A&M.

It lost in overtime to Duke, Gonzaga and Nevada.

It was in a position to win games that it lost against Tech on the road, Kansas State at home and pushed Kansas both times they played...one with an extremely short-handed line-up.

It is intellectually dishonest to suggest that good coaching didn't occur with this team. The make-up of the team was Smart's issue and he has to own that, which is part of why this season wasn't a true success. However, with the players that he had? Good coaching took place.

Unfortunately we've also painted ourselves into a schollie corner with our basketball roster also. The transfer market is about to start running hot and we pretty much don't currently project to have any room.

I have no clue what ketch is trying to say.

Sorry, but with all the options available in college hoops, the Barnes blame game really doesn't fly.
The fact that Barnes only had two recruits when he was fired was pathetic. Snoop and Eric Davis along with the 9 guys returning from the year before. Which of those players would you consider elite basketball players? 0 in my book.
We brought in transfers, 1 sat out and the other was injured the whole year.
As long as you have been here, how many JUCO kids and senior transfers have we not gotten due to academic restrictions?
You keep moving the goalposts in every argument.

Yeah I don't think anyone is sold on Nelson quite yet... but Coburn and Ojomo are probably licking their chops... wondering if they can take Poona's place, their first year on campus.

Ojomo is my guy.
Way way way to early for Ojomo. He is 16 turning 17 this year. He will make an impact play and take 10 plays off, he doesn’t even know his potential yet. If we are counting on him being useful this year we are in trouble.

which part? I'll try to explain better.
Texas played NINE teams in the Sweet 16 this season, including A&M.

It won games against West Virginia, Tech and A&M.

It lost in overtime to Duke, Gonzaga and Nevada.

It was in a position to win games that it lost against Tech on the road, Kansas State at home and pushed Kansas both times they played...one with an extremely short-handed line-up.

It is intellectually dishonest to suggest that good coaching didn't occur with this team. The make-up of the team was Smart's issue and he has to own that, which is part of why this season wasn't a true success. However, with the players that he had? Good coaching took place.
Is it a little dishonest to count a preseason scrimmage as a win? It wasn't a real game and I assume was not used by the committee. I would also assume both coaches didn't coach exactly the same as they would in a real contest.

Do you think Shaka will the the HC in 2019-2020?

Would you compare/contrast Shaka/Chuck after three seasons?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT