ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Good news and bad news)

@Ketchum, do you think Matt Mattox gets frustrated if he reads the site and people, including you, refer to him as Mike Mattox?
a. Good grief at myself.
b. Suchomel!!!!!!!!!!!
c. Mattox is used to not being known, so he'll be fine, I'm sure.;)

Reactions: MATF
a. Good grief at myself.
b. Suchomel!!!!!!!!!!!
c. Mattox is used to not being known, so he'll be fine, I'm sure.;)
I'll continue to suggest you guys need an editor!
It was edited!

If it was up to you would you keep Brick or let him walk and try to get someone younger? Who are they looking at to fill the last spot open as of now? We need one more top recruiter. Also did the new OC have any say in the hires?

I think he's saying that he'll factor in recruiting as a draw--being taught by--versus factor in recruiting by being at the high school.
Yeah, it rarely happens that way. Wishful thinking IMO.

Me: I’ve got good news and bad news for you this weekend.

Orangebloods: Give us the bad news, first.

Me: Actually, I think I’ll start with the good news.

Before I could put a word down on my laptop on Sunday for this column, I found myself driving around my neighborhood wondering if I was in some sort of bad mood on Valentine’s Day that was impacting my creative flow.

The reason I posed the question to myself is that quite a bit of my thought process throughout the weekend as it relates to the University of Texas football program was trending in non-positive directions.

However, the truth of the matter is that I had a pretty good weekend.

The twins had a classroom party for Valentine’s Day on Friday that was kind of a hoot. My wife and I had a wonderful meal together in Lakeway on Saturday night. The NBA dunk contest was out of this world entertaining, as was the Republican debate in its own different kind of way. Liverpool won a match 6-0 on Sunday. Hell, the wife and I snuck away to the Alamo Draft House for a Valentine’s Day matinee.

All things considered, I can’t really complain about the weekend and it surely can’t be the reason for some of the non-positive thoughts (I refuse to use the word negative) running through my head. Maybe … just maybe … in the name of keeping it 100-percent real, it’s just not always going to be a one-way trip to Candy Land.

Still, I know my audience and I’m convinced that the best way to pass through all of my non-positive thoughts through this column is to rub your belly and whisper a few sweet nothings into your ear.

Let’s start with the fact that there’s a very good chance Charlie Strong will have the best coaching staff in his three years at Texas heading into the 2016 season.

Sterlin Gilbert’s vision of a Texas offense brings it into the 21st century. Charlie Williams in my mind is an upgrade over Jay Norvell. Anthony Johnson might not have the coaching skins that Tommie Robinson possesses, but his thirst to get out on the road and recruit will be a boost to the program that needs a junkyard dog on the recruiting trail. Like the situation at running backs coach, Matt Mattox might not yet be the known developer of players like Joe Wickline, but his impact as a recruiter and lack of drama tied to his employment are huge benefits.

If you’re finding yourself excited these days about the direction of the program now that Strong’s roster is comprised of more Charlie’s guys than “Mack’s guys,” this fact will only send your enthusiasm to the moon and perhaps rightfully so.

This is my sweet nothing I’m whispering into your ear.

What comes next won’t be so sweet.

On the surface, staff turnover doesn’t have to be a bad thing because in an ideal world, you’ll hire really good coaches, have tons of success and then watch those assistant coaches soar to new heights professionally because of new opportunities that emerge when a program enjoys an immense amount of success.

But, that’s not what we’re talking about with Strong’s staff. Just take a look at the turnover.

*OC Shawn Watson (Bad hire that needed to be corrected)
* RB Tommie Robinson (Took a lateral move for more money/security)
* WR Les Koenning (Bad hire that needed to be corrected)
* WR Jay Norvell (So-so hire that was caught in a tricky situation that needed to be resolved)
* TE Bruce Chambers (Bad hire that needed to be corrected)
* OL Joe Wickline (Both sides really couldn’t wait to move on from each other this off-season)
* DL Chris Rumph (Made a surprising lateral move after one season)
* DB Chris Vaughn (Dismissed over his apparent role in an NCAA mess at Ole Miss)

Without knowing whether Texas defensive line coach Brick Haley will be sticking around or taking a curious lateral move to Texas A&M, Strong has already made eight do-overs in 25 months. Only two of his original staff members from two seasons ago remain and none of those who departed did so because an opportunity of a lifetime occurred.

It’s not the biggest deal in the world, but it’s a deal of some variety. The truth of the matter is that this program has been churning over assistant coaches on what seems like an annual basis for the last six years and one of the things Strong was supposed to bring to Austin was program stability and that simply hasn’t happened. In a year when his coaching life at Texas is on the line, Strong will be breaking in at least five new coaches this season and it’s hard to believe this group will be a well-oiled machine in just a few months.

That wouldn’t be a bad thing if Texas was playing Baylor’s schedule, but Notre Dame, a trip to Stillwater and the Red River Rivalry loom in the first five weeks of the season. Oh, and there’s a trip to Berkeley mixed in there as well that’s pretty easy to overlook, until you remember that Strong’s teams in Austin have been very hit or miss big on the road in two seasons.

If the Longhorns win nine games, folks are only going to remember the end-game positives. However, if Texas struggles to take forward steps on the field this year, people are going to point a finger to this situation as one piece of evidence that Strong’s attention to detail is a reason for major concern.

I suppose at the end of the day, the good of this matter (upgrades in the coaching staff) outweigh the bad (continued lack of internal infrastructure stability).

I think.

No. 2 – Let’s talk about new Texas running backs coach Anthony Johnson …

Consider me a fan.

Although outgoing coach Tommie Robinson has a tremendous reputation for working with young running backs and did a damn good job in that regard, in a world where most college coaches are either coaches or recruiters and rarely both, he was the former. Personally, I come from a camp that believes your running backs coach needs to be a top-flight recruiter over everything else.

I don’t care if he teaches the best hand-off drills in the nation, the running backs coach at Texas needs to a carry a wallet in his pocket that reads “bad MF recruiter” and he needs to be making a critical impact in the areas of this state that matter the most … Dallas, Houston and East Texas.

The person in that role needs to be so full of energy in that facet of the job that the teaching hand-off part of his responsibilities will feel like playing with the house’s money after a night of winning big in blackjack.

That’s not really who Tommie Robinson is, while it does seem like that might be something Anthony Johnson can become. Keep in mind that Johnson hasn’t proven he can be that guy just yet, but that has more to do with the fact that it’s hard to judge how one’s skill set translates to the big stage when they haven’t worked on the big-time stage.

Behind the scenes, there’s a definite buzz that he’s just the type of young, full-or-fire-in-the-belly guy that Strong needs. A native of East Texas, Johnson gives the Longhorns a strong second voice in that part of the state, along with tight ends coach Jeff Traylor, and he should be a guy Strong can send into Houston to do heavy lifting in that part of the state.

Sometimes the grass isn’t always greener on the other side of the neighborhood, but sometimes it is.

If forced to choose between the two, I’ll take a chance on the other grass.

No. 3- Let’s talk about new Texas wide receivers coach Charlie Williams …

My initial reaction to the news on Monday is that the Longhorns landed a guy who reminds me of a combination of Tommie Robinson and Jay Norvell.

On one hand, there’s no question that he has the chops as a teacher of football, having groomed a number of young receivers like Hakeem Nicks (UNC) in college and Keyshawn Johnson (Tampa Bay) in the pros. From a resume standpoint, it’s pretty tough to find someone that has a 25-year run of jobs as impressive as what Williams brings to the table. There can be little question that the young Texas receivers who are getting ready to enter a new offense are in incredibly capable hands.

On another hand, one of the things about the hire that stands out is his eye for talent. It’s been a while since he’s worked the streets and highways of Texas, but once upon a time, he was at least partly responsible for under-the-radar Lone Star talents like Mike Thomas ending up in Tucson and eventually evolving into NFL-level players.

We’re talking about a guy who knows how to find talent without relying on any service’s set of recruiting rankings. However, we’re also talking about a coach that first got into the business when Michael Jackson was still dating Brooke Shields, so it would be wise to tempter expectations as it relates to his impact in recruiting.

Of course, it should be noted that the Longhorns just signed a borderline top-10 class without an impact recruiter at the wide receivers position, so you can’t miss what you’ve never had or apparently needed.

The smart money is that Williams will be asked to do his share of work on the recruiting trail, but he was likely brought in to develop young talent more so than find it.

No. 4 – Scattershooting on the Longhorns ...

... Should Texas be matching Texas A&M's offer for Brick Haley or defeating it?

... I'm a pretty excited guy right now if I'm John Burt, Armanti Foreman or any other young receiver. You're getting ready to work with a guy who can make you a lot better. Listen to anything he says.

... Ladies and gentlemen, the race for 2017 Kennedale linebacker Baron Browning is about to begin. Sorry, Art, but there's a big ol' world out there and he wants to see it.

... The departure of Bryson Echols could mark the beginning of a big off-season in terms of attrition.

… It would be interesting to know when the Texas athletic department learned about the potential Ole Miss misdeeds committed by ex-defensive backs coach Chris Vaughn. Did it happen before or after National Signing Day? Considering that his situation reportedly came to a head last Monday, it stands to reason that there was a four-day window where the Texas athletic department could have first learned of the situation. The more likely scenario has them learning about this situation before NSD, which means his history was severe enough for him to never coach another game in Austin, but not severe enough they didn’t let him finish his work in the 2016 recruiting class.

… One of the worst things about college football is the rug being pulled out from the feet of kids just hours or days after they sign their national letter of intent, usually in the form of position coaches leaving programs as soon as the ink on those letters of intent starts to dry. It’s one of the reasons why I wouldn’t allow my son to sign a letter of intent if he was a big-time college football prospect because the moment he signs it, all of his power and insurance against these situations is dissolved. Seriously, it’s amazing there’s not more information for these kids about the virtues of not signing anything until the day you step on campus. It would freak out the college coaches recruiting them, but it’s the best business decision the big-time guys can make.

No. 5 – Five thoughts from the world of Texas basketball ...

a. Man, there just aren’t many days off in the Big 12. In the last four weeks alone, the Longhorns have been to Lawrence, Norman and Ames, which is kind of a Murderer’s Row of away basketball sites in 2016. What we’ve learned about the Longhorns is that they can play with anyone, anywhere and at any time, but closing the show has continued to be a difficult task in these most difficult of tasks. The one thing you’d have to think is happening is that this team’s resolve and nerves are turning into steel after the recent road games. Whatever team takes the floor against Texas in March won’t make this team flinch … even a little.

b. I mentioned it last week that one of the elements of the Texas Tech win that would prove to be very valuable was the boost in confidence that seemed to radiate through true freshman Tevin Mack’s basketball pores and there he was on Saturday delivering the goods in a big way in Ames, knocking down five three-point shots and generally playing like a guy that believes he’s ready to play big on the biggest stages. He’s got a little bit of that freshman Jordan Hamilton irrational confidence, but I’m all for him spreading his wings in February if it means he’ll fly in March.

c. The Longhorns have to start getting to the free throw line more. There are too many times when contact is there to be taken advantage of, but players are avoiding contact and settling for jump shots. The free throw line is your friend, fellas.

d. Interesting that the Longhorns stayed in the AP Top 25 this week, despite losses in Norman and Ames. I guess people are paying attention.

e. The women’s team got ROLLED in Norman to the tune of 74-56. Yikes. What’s funny is that if I had told you going in that game the Longhorns would commit a measly 10 turnovers and the Sooners would shoot 37 percent from the floor and 27 percent from the three-point line, you’d have likely taken whatever results aligned with that kind of defensive efficiency, but those shooting percentages actually look gaudy compared to the 29 percent mark the Longhorns posted from the floor. Amazingly, Texas was 9-of-31 from the floor in both the first and second half.

No. 6 – Buy or sell …

(As always, these are questions submitted by Orangebloods subscribers)

BUY or SELL: These percentages for Texas wins

Sept. 3: NOTRE DAME 30%
Sept. 10: UTEP. 100%
Sept. 17: at California 45%
Oct. 1: at Oklahoma State* 70%
Oct. 8: vs. Oklahoma* (Dallas). 50%
Oct. 15: IOWA STATE*. 95%
Oct. 22: at K-State*. 80%
Oct. 29: BAYLOR*. 40%
Nov. 5: at Texas Tech*. 75%
Nov. 12: WEST VIRGINIA*. 65%
Nov. 19: at Kansas*. 100%
Nov. 24: TCU*. 45%

(Sell) Most of my quibbles are with your percentages in road games. Until this team starts to display more consistency, there’s no way I view a trip to Stillwater (70 percent), Lubbock (75 percent) or Manhattan (80 percent) as anything close to sure-things or even smart bets. This is a team that still lacks a starting quarterback, a consistent offense or a top-60 defense.

BUY or SELL: Charlie fills one of the vacant coaching positions with a Texas high school coach?

(Sell) I don’t get the sense he feels like that’s a history that he needs to repeat. His interest has been elsewhere.

BUY or SELL: At the conclusion of his term as University of Texas President, Greg Fenves will be universally recognized by the Longhorn community as one of the school's finest presidents ever because of his record of leadership with both academic and athletic issues.

(Buy) Just a gut feeling.

BUY or SELL: D'onta Foreman rushes for 1,200 plus yards next year?

(Sell) That seems like a rather large number for a player that is going to likely share a lot of carries

BUY or SELL: The Longhorns starting quarterback for the 2016 season will not be known after the Orange and White Game because several contenders played so well that a decision cannot be made at that time?

(Sell) It’ll be after the spring game, but not because of those reasons.

BUY or SELL: The Texas WR core ends up being one of the best in the Big 12 by this upcoming season's end?

(Sell) The talent is there, but I’m not going to offer too much hyperbole about it until we actually see some production from the new offense. When you say one of the best, I’m thinking top three and at this point I’ll take Baylor (led by K.D. Cannon), Texas Tech and Oklahoma State (led by James Washington) over the Texas group, in part because all of those units have better quarterback situations than Texas at the moment.

BUY or SELL: We have a Lampkin 2.0 this year?

(Sell) That was a very unusual situation and my guess is we’ll remember it that way instead of a new yearly norm.

BUY or SELL: The powers that be knew that it would take more than a few years to turn the program around if Strong had to run half of the team off to accomplish that goal? The powers that be wanted a coach that had core values even if it took a couple of losing seasons to get things turned around? The powers that be will use their best judgment to determine if the coach should return, or they will just have an simple number of wins required?

(Buy, buy and buy) I believe those powers that be want to give Charlie Strong every chance to be the coach at Texas, but there are limits to the amount of patience that exists. Year three is when the patience will be tested and when wins need to be posted at a rate worthy of $15 million through three years.

BUY or SELL: DKR sells out for the Notre Dame game?

(Buy) Easily.

BUY or SELL: I came across this recruiting article from SBNation and it reminded of something we’ve heard about with A&M reporters and some of the recruits that Texas has been after.

“A five-star defensive end was committed to an in-state school for over a year. He loved the school, but became concerned when a writer covering a rival school planted the idea that his school had a secret commitment from another defensive end.

The writer convinced him to get revenge. They concocted a plan in which the player kept telling the school he was committed, all the while planning to switch his commitment to a rival on Signing Day.

On Signing Day, the player noticed the other guy was committing after himself. This bolstered his belief that the school was prepared to sign them both. So he decided to go through with the plan. He faxed his letter to the in-state rival, burning the team to which he had been committed.

Of course, the writer who hatched the plan was lying. The "secret commitment" signed with a school out West.”

My question is this: Buy or Sell that Texas fans would never support a Texas site that had someone on its staff accused of such things?

(Buy) I believe one of the things that separates the Texas fan base from others is that character and honesty matter. I just can’t imagine in a million years that fans of the Longhorns would allow for any of those types of shenanigans among the media that covers the program that reads out of the Hamm-storybook..

No. 7 – Eternal Randomness of the Spotty Sports Mind …

… Aaron Gordon was robbed in the NBA dunk contest and a case can be made that his effort is the single-greatest dunk contest performance ever.

… While the dunks were probably better, you’ll never be able to convince me that this tops the Dominique/Jordan showdown in Chicago back in 1988.

… The Kobe Retirement Tour has been a fascinating thing to watch unfold, but after Sunday, haven’t we pretty much seen the last interesting game of his career until his last one? I had a guest on my Monday radio show tell me that there have been more media credentials issued for his last game at Staples than any of his games in the Finals over the years.

… Russell Westbrook might win the next five NBA All-Star game MVP awards because he genuinely seems to care about playing really hard in that game, which often makes him a party of one. There’s just no off-switch on that dude on a basketball court.

… The Peyton Manning story is nuanced and then some, but I will say that I’m always interested in truth prevailing over non-truth, even it means that it arrives behind motivations outside of simply telling the truth. Was the NY Daily News article a hit piece aimed at proving a point about the Cam Newton coverage in the last few weeks? Maybe. Does that mean Manning should get a free pass on this story, especially in light of the apparent efforts made to make this story look much more innocent than it appears to have been? No way. Also, considering the Manning situation is named in the lawsuit by six women against the University of Tennessee as an example of men in that athletic department being treated with more respect and protection than women, I’d say that it might be 15+ years old, but it’s incredibly relevant.

… Scattershooting on the weekend in the EPL

a. I can’t help but wonder if Leicester City didn’t receive a death-blow on Sunday against Arsenal. Yes, people have been saying that all season, but with Tottenham and Arsenal suddenly just a couple points away, I think the storybook finish to this 2015-2016 story ends a little short of the Disney ending.

b. Oh, Mesut Ozil, you sly little 94th minute passer, you. That was a Player of the Year moment.

c. Dear soccer gods, please keep Daniel Sturridge fit for the rest of the season. Liverpool is a different team when he’s on the pitch and a trio of Sturridge, Coutinho and Firmino can actually make a Reds game very easy on the eyes.

d. Am I crazy for thinking that Man City’s grip in the top four this season might be tested in the final weeks? That team is not playing well at all right now.

e. You guys starting to feel me about this Tottenham team? No team in the EPL is more fun to watch and this group seems to have the resolve needed to go the distance.

f. I’m going to do United fans a solid and not even mention that loss to Sunderland. Ssshhhhh.

No. 8 – Funniest thing from the Weekend ...

At the risk of upsetting any of you that might be protesting at the NFL offices on Tuesday over the Beyonce performance at halftime of the Super Bowl, I give you this.

No.9 - T-minus 13 days until the Oscars

I’m not going to make it this year.

Try as I might, I’m just not going to see every film and major category nominated before the Academy Awards at the end of this month.

However, I’m going to knock out Brooklyn this week to wipe out the last remaining Best Picture candidate that I have yet to see. However many I can see from the group of Trumbo, The Danish Girl and Carol, I will see, but eyes are not bigger than my stomach.

One thing I definitely have to stop doing is seeing average non-Oscars movies.

100 Words or Less Movie Review: Hail, Cesar (C-)

Soooooo disappointing. There were a few chuckles, but not much more than that.

My Current Oscars Leaderboard

Best Picture (based on movies I have actually seen)

1. Spotlight
2. Room
3. The Revenant
4. The Big Short
5. Sicario

Best Actor (based on the movies I have actually seen)

1. Leonardo Dicaprio (The Revenant)
2. Michael Fassbender (Steve Jobs)
3. Michael B. Jordan (Creed)
4. Matt Damon (The Martian)
5. Steve Carrell (The Big Short)

Best Actress (based on the movies I have actually seen)

1. Brie Larson (Room)
2. Jennifer Lawrence (Joy)
3. Daisy Ridley (Star Wars: The Force Awakens)
4. Emily Blount (Sicario)
5. Charlize Theron (Mad Max: Fury Road)

Best Supporting Actor (based on the movies I have actually seen)

1. Mark Rylance (Bridge of Spies)
2. Jacob Tremblay (Room)
3. Tom Hardy (The Revenant)
4. Benicio del Toro (Sicario)
5. Christian Bale (The Big Short)

Best Supporting Actress (based on the movies I have actually seen)

1. Joan Allen (Room)
2. Jennifer Jason Leigh (The Hateful Eight)
3. Alicia Vikander (Ex Machina)
4. Tessa Thompson (Creed)
5. Rachel McAdams (Spotlight)

Best Director

1. Lenny Abrahamson (Room)
2. Alejandro González Iñárritu (The Revenant)
3. Tom McCarthy (Spotlight)
4. J.J. Abrams (Star Wars: The Force Awakens)
5. George Miller (Mad Max: Fury Road)

No.10 - And finally … The List: Boyz II Men …

Yesterday marked the 25th anniversary of the day that Boyz II Men released its first album.

That’s right … February 14, 1991. That’s when cooleyhighharmony was released.

That’s as good of a reason as any to re-list the group’s top songs, so here we go.

9. Misty Blue (cover)
8. Water Runs Dry
7. I'll Make Love to You
6. On Bended Knee
5. Lonely Heart
4. Motownphilly
3. It's so hard to say goodbye to yesterday
2. Please Don't Go
1. End of the Road

Archives List

Blues/Jazz: Eva Cassidy (Listen via Spotify ), John Coltrane (Listen via Spotify ), Janis Joplin (Listen via Spotify ), Norah Jones (Listen via Spotify), B.B. King (Listen Via Spotify), Leadbelly (Listen via Spotify),Amos Lee (Listen via Spotify),Toni Price (Listen via Spotify) and Stevie Ray Vaughan ( Listen via Spotify )

Classical: Johann Sebastian Bach ( Listen via Spotify) and Beethoven ( Listen via Spotify)

Country: Gary Allen (Listen via Spotify), Brooks and Dunn (Listen via Spotify), Garth Brooks, Johnny Cash (Listen via Spotify), Patsy Cline (Listen Via Spotify), Merle Haggard (Listen via Spotify), George Jones(Listen via Spotify), Robert Earl Keen (Listen via Spotify), Natalie Maines (Listen via Spotify), John Michael Montgomery (Listen via Spotify), Willie Nelson (Listen via Spotify), Reba (Listen via Spotify ), Kenny Rogers(Listen Via Spotify), Chris Stapleton (Listen via Spotify), Gary Stewart (Listen Via Spotify ), George Strait(Listen Via Spotify), (Keith Whitley (Listen via Spotify), Hank Williams Sr. ( Listen via Spotify). ) and Dwight Yoakam ( Listen via Spotify )

Electronic: Daft Punk (Listen Via Spotify)

Funk: Chuck Brown, James Brown (Listen Via Spotify) , Kool and the Gang (Listen Via Spotify), Prince (Listen Via Spotify (Part I), Listen Via Spotify (Part II - After Hours)) and Red Hot Chili Peppers (Listen Via Spotify (Part I)

Metal: Metallica and Pantera (Listen Via Spotify)

Pop: Hall and Oates (Listen via Spotify), George Michael (Listen via Spotify), Billy Ocean ( Listen via Spotify ), Rihanna (Frank Sinatra ( Listen via Spotify )

Punk: The Clash (Listen via Spotify) and The Ramones (Listen via Spotify)

Random: Best of 2013 (Listen via Spotify), Best of 2014 (Listen via Spotify), Cartoon themes, One-hit Wonders from the 1990's (Listen via Spotify) and TV Themes

Rap: 2-Pac (Listen via Spotify), 8-Ball and MJG, Beastie Boys (Listen via Spotify), Biggie Smalls (Listen via Spotify), Drake (Listen via Spotify), Eminem (Listen to Spotify), Ice Cube (Listen via Spotify), Jay-Z(Listen via Spotify), Kool MoeDee (Listen to Spotify), Kendrick Lamar (Listen via Spotify), NWA (Listen to Spotify),Outkast (Listen via Spotify), RUN-DMC (Listenvia Spotify), Scarface (Listen via Spotify), Snoop Dogg Listen via Spotify , A Tribe Called Quest (Listen via Spotify), UGK (Listen via Spotify), Kanye West (Listen via Spotify) and Wu-Tang Clan (Listen via Spotify)

R&B: Adele (Listen via Spotify) Aliyah, Aretha (Listen via Spotify), Boyz II Men (Listen via Spotify), RayCharles (Listen via Spotify),Sam Cooke (Listen via Spotify), Al Green (Listen via Spotify), Chaka Kahn (listen Via Spotify),Whitney Houston (Janet Jackson (Listen via Spotify),Jodeci (Listen via Spotify), Mo-Town (Listen via Spotify), R. Kelly (Listen via Spotify), Gerald Levert (Listenvia Spotify), Otis Redding
(Listen via Spotify), Lionel Richie, Smokey Robinson (Listen via Spotify), TLC (Listen Via Spotify), Jackie Wilson (Listen via Spotify) and Bill Withers (Listen via Spotify)

Reggae: Bob Marley (Listen via Spotify)

Rock: AC/DC, Listen via Spotify), Arcade Fire (Listen via Spotify), ArcticMonkeys (Listen via Spotify),Beach Boys (Listen via Spotify), The Beatles, Bon Jovi (Listen via Spotify), DavidBowie (Listen via Spotify),Jeff Buckley (Listen via Spotify), The Cars (Listen via Spotify), CCR (Listen via Spotify), Eric Clapton (Listen via Spotify), Dave Matthews Band (Listen via Spotify), Glenn Frey (Listen Via Spotify), Gary Clark Jr. (Listen via Spotify),Listen via Spotify),The Eagles, Joe Ely (Listen to Spotify), Foo Fighters (Listen Via Spotify), Genesis (Listen via Spotify), Guns N' RosesListen via Spotify), Heart (Listen via Spotify), Jimi Hendrix (Listen via Spotify), Don Henley (Listen Via Spotify), (Billy Joel (Listen via Spotify), Elton John (Listen Via Spotify), Journey(Listen Via Spotify), Led Zeppelin, Little Featt(Listen Via Spotify), John Mayer (Listen via Spotify), Stevie Nicks (Listen Via Spotify),Nirvana (Listen via Spotify), Roy Orbison (Listen via Spotify), Pearl Jam (Listen via Spotify), Tom Petty(Listen via Spotify), Pink Floyd, Elvis Pressley (Listen via Spotify), Queen (Listen via Spotify), Reckless Kelly(Listen via Spotify), Lou Reed ( Listen via Spotify ),TheRolling Stones (Listen via Spotify), Bob Seger, Bruce Springsteen (Listen via Spotify), Steely Dan (Listen Via Spotify), TheStrokes (Listen via Spotify), U2 (Listen via Spotify), Van Halen ( Listen via Spotify ), Velvet Underground ( Listen via Spotify ), Jack White ( Listen via Spotify ) and ZZ Top ( Listen via Spotify )[/I]
Your legacy lists don't work. Spotify says the links are invalid. :(

Hard to say. Him taking the interview in the first place for a lateral move... at best... is telling IMO.
I agree with this take on the situation. The fact that UT matched the offer and he still needs to think about it makes me think Strong will need a new DL coach. If he wanted to stay, then as soon as UT matched, you'd think Haley would rise up and shake Charlie's hand and say, "I'll see you tomorrow, coach."

Wow ! I just read sections 1 - 4, and 6, and now I am depressed about the 2016 season that I was actually feeling positive about. The good thing is that I did not see any comments about the Longhorn Baseball team. I hope there won't be any really since I still have confidence in that regard.

Would really like to know if the inference that the DE story is the UT reporter is true. That seems hard to believe.

“A five-star defensive end was committed to an in-state school for over a year. He loved the school, but became concerned when a writer covering a rival school planted the idea that his school had a secret commitment from another defensive end.

What player is this referring to?

Good read Ketch. One thing about last year's defense. There is no way that the defense last year could have finished in the top 60 with the offense that we ran. In the Big 12 if your offense can't stay on the field then your defense will be done by halftime.

The previous poster indicated the DE is Fowler and Higdon was the reporter.

Edit: way off on this one. my bad.

Last edited:
Hookem to all my Longhorn family, but I was reading Ketchum's post and still looking for the bad news....What was it? I didn't read anything damaging to the program or did I miss something.

Just guessing was this suppose to be the bad news:
What comes next won’t be so sweet.
On the surface, staff turnover doesn’t have to be a bad thing because in an ideal world, you’ll hire really good coaches, have tons of success and then watch those assistant coaches soar to new heights professionally because of new opportunities that emerge when a program enjoys an immense amount of success.

If so I figured much when Charlie was hired that the coaching staff in place would not be the same in year 3 and most likely the next two years giving Charlie being here or not. Keeping Brick is a big factor and UT should do everything in it's power to keep him here. One more thing Ketch, who do you think the Horns will target for DB coach to replace Vaughn?

What player is this referring to?

I don't remember which player but it was a Florida State player who flipped to Florida and Higdon was supposedly the Florida writer. I have no idea whether it's true but I'm pretty sure that is what this is referring to.

(Sell) Most of my quibbles are with your percentages in road games. Until this team starts to display more consistency, there’s no way I view a trip to Stillwater (70 percent), Lubbock (75 percent) or Manhattan (80 percent) as anything close to sure-things or even smart bets. This is a team that still lacks a starting quarterback, a consistent offense or a top-60 defense.
I may have been generous with some of my percentages but based on your comment sounds like your expectations are low this year. If we can't win in Stillwater and Lubbock this year it's going to a long season and we may be talking of starting over yet again.

Can't believe I had to wait til Tuesday (crappy euro trash band) to read this. I, for one, am fine with the turnover, on the offense, since it gives Sterlin a big do over with all new folks. (Note the awesome comma work)

On defense, it's really just two guys and both stayed.

I am in wait and see mode. Show me ND!

Should Texas be matching Texas A&M's offer for Brick Haley or defeating it?

I wouldn't offer him a single dollar more. He's already on our staff. If he uproots his living situation and bolts for a rival in turmoil for the same money...good riddance. That means his heart is not here even though the better career setup is clearly at Texas.

Brick has been a part of what CS is building and has seen the exciting youth on this defense firsthand. Not to mention he knows the influx of new talent headed our way. The defensive future at Texas is very bright. If he'd rather leave all that and join a dead-man-walking Aggy head coach without a cent more being offered...don't let the door hit ya.

There's a part of me that wants change. All last summer CS kept bragging on our 2015 DL. It was to be the strength of the team and could go 3-deep in contributors in the Fall. The DL unit I saw was flat out below average.

They were even pushed around by Rice, and didn't improve much over the season as Baylor was doing the same bullying in the finale. Haley has credibility from other stops, but so far at Texas he's not some wizard DL coach that can't be replaced.

You also think Miley Cyrus is attractive, so there's that.
o-MILEY-CYRUS-COVERS-UP-570.jpg

Wow ! I just read sections 1 - 4, and 6, and now I am depressed about the 2016 season that I was actually feeling positive about. The good thing is that I did not see any comments about the Longhorn Baseball team. I hope there won't be any really since I still have confidence in that regard.
Nothing changed. What was illuminating for you?

Hookem to all my Longhorn family, but I was reading Ketchum's post and still looking for the bad news....What was it? I didn't read anything damaging to the program or did I miss something.
Nah, I just think this staff turnover is a reflection on Charlie's current work performance and some don't see it that way.

ADVERTISEMENT