ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (I have to confess to being delusional...)

I liked all of the hires.

I believe if these guys go get a conference title next year, op would still be unhappy.

Maybe, it’s time to find a worth while hobby op, other than this site.
Or maybe you don't know what you're talking about.

I'd lead a ****ing parade if they win a conference title.

Reactions: Dr. Leo Marvin
Ran @Ketchum's "jobber' comment by a fam member with some experience in the sport. He texted back...

"That guy doesn’t know what he’s talking about. Cowboy is far from a jobber. He’s sustained consecutive losses before only to go on runs that lead him to title shots. For someone to say that really doesn’t know how this sport works. Cowboy's last 3 losses came from #1 Justin Gaethje, #2 Tony Ferguson, and #4 Conor McGregor. Tony is on a 12-fight win streak and Conor is arguably one of the most dangerous fighters in 2 separate weight divisions history. Cowboy is one of the greatest fighters never to hold a belt. That guy needs to brush up on his facts.

Since when is #5 in the world in any sport a jobber or an easy night out?"
a. He ain't the No.5 fighter in the sport.

b. It was a bit of a tongue-in-cheek comment made to emphasize the bigger point.

c. You took it way too literal.

Kinda weak write up b/f buy/sell, IMO. Consecutive top 3 recruiting classes don't add up to your take re recruiting, and though we won't be top 3 this year, if we get Collins and Princely we should jump Okie and finish maybe 7 or 8. If we get to 20 recruits (including Collins and Princely) we might squeak into top 5 or 6. 3 top ten classes in a row (say 3, 3 and 8) should be enough to win 10 games or more IF they are well developed once they get here.

Could have written 'We now have a better staff with better developers of talent, but we'll see about recruiting and know much more about this program in 12 months' and saved a bunch of typing to get to the same place. Seemed unnecessarily long, though maybe it's b/c I have read some of the same things already on OB.

Agree to disagree on the length and some particulars. No big deal, they can't all be gems.
Top 10-15 classes that lack national top 50-70 prospects are severely overrated.

THat's it. That's the thing you need to memorize.

I think Herman’s issue is he believed he had the guys to recruits and failed horribly at development. He paid for it this year. This coming year...it’s all about development. Getting development and better coaching will push this team to the conference championship. And if we’re lucky to not have lost more than one game and win that championship we’re playing in the CFP. There’s you’re possibilities. You can live in probabilities or possibilities. If Texas lands in the probability and fail then it really doesn’t matter how good these guys are as recruiters. If they land in the possibilities and are successful then you’ll be able to change your assessment about the Brock’s.
He believed he had an elite staff that would do both. He overestimated his group's worth. It's a trend that needs to end.

The question about whether Whittington or Smith starts in the slot floors me. Just like when Smith spent so much time on the bench last year watching Duvernay and Epps play. Ketch answer was correct - we need our best guys on the field. Why couldn’t Smith have been trained to play in Epps position?

Mahomes was a complete stud in high school. He was multi sport with goddy stats and traits that any 5 start would yearn for. He didn’t go to a bunch of camps. That’s the only reason he wasn’t a bigger prospect.
It certainly played a huge role.

Reactions: wbrom42
When Tom Herman replaced a huge chunk of his coaching staff following his first 3 seasons, he took his new offensive coordinator (Mike Yurcich) away from Ohio State, his new offensive line coach (Herb Hand) away from Auburn, and his new tight ends coach (Jay Boulware) away from a conference foe, despite the fact that conference foe was rival Oklahoma who had won the league 5 years in a row.

How has he not money whipped the best? That isn’t even including Ash.
The conversation is about non-coordinator positions. I've given the coordinator hires really high marks, including in this article.

I’ve always wondered where this inaccurate and despondent attitude came from on this board. I don’t know why it took me so long to figure out it flows down from the top from Ketch.

The brand is not weaker than it used to be. In terms of football, we landed two straight Top 3 recruiting classes mostly working with a 7-6 first season from Tom Herman. Home games are as good as ever. People are as passionate to play Texas as they ever have been. Our social media is off the charts in how much engagement we receive. We completely outclassed another “big brand” Georgia in New Orleans last year, having the better contingent in the stands and on the field. We hosted a hell of a College Gameday this year for the first time since 2009. We just landed another Top 10 recruiting class. We stole away an unbelievable offensive mind from Ohio State, and a DC that Ohio State allegedly offered. And it’s not fair to leave Herb Hand out of this discussion. That was money whipping at its finest, just like you long for from the good old days. Auburn had just played in the SEC Championship game when he decided to make the move to Austin. We have won three straight bowl games, and I guarantee there is going to be a giant burnt orange contingency in Baton Rouge in September.

Chill out with the depressed diatribes. The Texas brand is as strong as anywhere in the country right now. It has been that way, it is that way, and it will always be that way.

No offense, the brand's value hasn't dropped? Really?

Well said! I couldn't agree more that we don't win that title had Mack not hired Tomey in 2004. He was only here one season but he instilled a level of toughness that I believe helped the 2005 team get over the hump. Does not get the credit he deserves IMO. A fine man too. RIP.
Robinson was right there with him. It was the pair.

This maybe one of your best articles as it is very insightful in regard to the programs current status; we too often bask in our past glory and thus look at our current situation thru rose-colored glasses. Perhaps if we look at the team's success and history from 1970 to 1990 this draught we are currently going thru will not be so negative. We came out of that period with a National Championship; hopefully we will come out of this draught soon and with equal success. Again, great article.
Thanks, glad it connected for some. I feel like it was received with a lot of defensiveness from some, which is something I should have considered more in writing about it.

The question about whether Whittington or Smith starts in the slot floors me. Just like when Smith spent so much time on the bench last year watching Duvernay and Epps play. Ketch answer was correct - we need our best guys on the field. Why couldn’t Smith have been trained to play in Epps position?
Or wherever gets them both on the field. I don't really care how they do it.

It certainly played a huge role.
That's the flaw in the Rivals rankings

Could you imagine the meltdowns if Texas had commitments from the following players out of high school:
Mahomes - 3 stars
Tannehill - 3 stars
Garappolo - 2 stars
Rodgers - 0 stars

That's the flaw in the Rivals rankings
I think the flaw is not focusing on what the math behind the system suggests when a massive sample size supports it and then focusing only on that.

Thanks, glad it connected for some. I feel like it was received with a lot of defensiveness from some, which is something I should have considered more in writing about it.

Agree wholeheartedly with Track that it was one of your best posts ever. Every subscriber needs to go re-read points nos. 2, 3, and 4. They're absolutely spot-on.

I think the flaw is not focusing on what the math behind the system suggests when a massive sample size supports it and then focusing only on that.
I understand that point but I would always go back and try and figure out why I missed on players who ended up playing at the top of their profession. Was their a flaw in my analysis that I need to correct, did the prospects have a common trait that allowed them to succeed over their rankings, etc? I'd do this especially with quarterbacks because the way for a coach to achieve wins, fame, and money is to have an elite quarterback.

I liked all of the hires.

I believe if these guys go get a conference title next year, op would still be unhappy.

Maybe, it’s time to find a worth while hobby op, other than this site.

Surely you're joking. Are you really not aware that OP owns this site?

Reactions: Rickstacopy
a. He ain't the No.5 fighter in the sport.

b. It was a bit of a tongue-in-cheek comment made to emphasize the bigger point.

c. You took it way too literal.
Actually, it was my amateur MMA fam mbr. I sent it to him, just to see how he'd respond. But to be fair to him, and judging from how others responded, you evidently didn't come across as tongue-in-cheek as you thought.

But, hey, you got (and are getting) clicks, responses and even a guy like me texting what you said to others to get their take.

Good job. Keep stirring the pot, whether folk agree or not.

It's one of sundry reasons your site hasn't gone the way of the buffalo.

Hook'em.

P.S. Btw, though my guy never said anything about if or where Cowboy's ranked (you misread the post), Cerrone actually is/was #5, in his weight class at least. https://www.ufc.com/rankings

Last edited:
I love your comment about Zach Evans. I have always wondered why the ranking systems of high school kids doesn't have an "intangibles" quotient in there somewhere? Is the kids dad a coach? Is the kid a straight A student? is the kid reading to the blind in his free time? Is the kid a locker room cancer (Zach Evans)? Evans doesnt need to be a 5 star regardless of his stats. The world is filled with kids who "had all the talent in the world" but didnt have their head screwed on straight.

Reactions: Peanuthorn
Of course. But, that's also the kind of thing people say when they can't get the shiny thing.

"I love my Toyota, who would ever want a Mercedes?"
How do you know he couldn’t? That’s a big assumption that doesn’t bear out in the real world right now from what I’m hearing. The issues, the REAL issue, is the one you alluded to, he thought they were elite. This Staff that Herman put together he believes is the correct mix. If he’s wrong, it’s on him. I know for a serious fact Herman had any number he could have thrown at coaches. Coaches will look past a program if the money is right and Texas is still desirable to those said coaches, you add the money and it’s a no-brainer. No, this is the staff Herman wanted based on the Fluidity of the availability. I hope for his sake, they are. If not, the appetite for his longevity will be brief.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT