ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (I was dead-ass wrong)

a. I get it, hardly anybody is a Tool guy unless they grew up on it or deep dive it...can't really be a casual listener...had a similar talk with a buddy a few years ago & suggested he listen to the albums in reverse order...the dude is hooked now

b. do they both have an extra year ?

a. I might need to try.

b. They have the COVID option.

So how is Milroe and the Rice qb ranked so much higher than Ewers, given the interceptions? Whatever measure is being used should count interceptions as more of a negative than what it does.

Milroe's YPA is 10.2. Ewers is 9.2. Milroe also has a higher completion percentage.

Ultimately, if Ewers keeps playing at a 168.3 level, a lot of others will drop.

Reactions: marinehorn
Brakes. Tap.

Don’t slam the brakes. But a tap might be appropriate.

Problem is, this is still a Jekyll-Hyde team. Now so far Mr. Hyde has only appeared at home against a Rice and Wyoming. And you posted the above after the good Dr. appeared. But what if Hyde shows up this Saturday? Or in Dallas? Or even Ft. Worth, God forbid? Not confident the defense can overcome a Hyderian performance by the offense in any of those exhibitions.

I'm aware of the circumstances. The defense is the deciding factor.

Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young not even in the last 10 out? Good lord.

Jimi Hendrix Experience nowhere to be found? Really?

Buddy Holly?

And you could also switch out REM for Nirvana in the top 10.

Episode 1 Reaction GIF by The Office

Nice writeup Ketch. I was bullish on the defense in year 3 of PK + the # of upperclassmen but there were big question marks regarding the pass rush and LBs beyond Ford. Gbenda has got to be the biggest 'out of nowhere' LB season since....last year's Ford breakout? Feels like the coaches/system are putting these LBs in positions to excel. LBs should be breaking down our doors trying to get into this program.

Agree to disagree on music. The Eagles can harmonize and who doesn't like Joe Walsh but....ugh. Listened to them during my younger 'classic rock' phase but completely agree with the Big Lebowski on them. That HBO documentary on them was wonderful though. Henley/Frey seemed like some real dicks.

One thing on Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers....holy crap did they have good producers. Their classic stuff by Jimmy Iovine is perfectly engineered to be blasted out of car speakers. Then he goes to Lynne and Rubin? Damn. Not a knock on Petty, Campbell and crew. They were really good with hooks.

Bands I would've liked to have seen in the list...Velvet Underground, Byrds, Pixies, Replacements, Wilco, Ramones, Talking Heads, Television (Marquee Moon is my favorite guitar album ever), Cheap Trick, Sparks, Drive By Truckers, REM, Sly and the Family Stone. Shoutouts to elite backing bands like Booker T and the MG's, The Wrecking Crew, and The Funk Brothers. Just to show i'm not too snobby...give me pure hair band (Motley Crue, Poison) over Aerosmith's poseur blues.

Last edited:
Reactions: marinehorn
Ha. Last year the defense was 8th in FEI, and 14th in F+, and I argued with you and others all offseason why it would be take another step forward and be even better this year.

To suggest that some of us didn't see this coming is disingenuous at best.
So, is pretending that you went so far as to say it would be this statistically good in this many areas.

Ironic choice of words.

It's the most subjective list I've probably ever done. 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣
The most subjective list you’ve ever done? Have you already forgotten about the Emmitt Smith / greatest running back list?

Don't be so quick to rush Xavier Worthy off the field on punt returns because of Saturday's muff. He leads the Big 12 in punt return yards and is second in the Big 12 in average per return (16.0).
IMHO, put the guy with the best hands on the team to catch punts. I said catch rather than return because I think punt return yardage rarely changes the outcome of a game while fumbled punts changes the game much more often.

Of course it’s great if the best hands is also a great return guy but catching >>> returning. Full disclosure I was in school for the 1983 season and a fumbled punt cost us the NC hence my punt ptsd.

(Buy) Quinn Ewers, Xavier Worthy, Adonai Mitchell, Ja'Tavion Sanders, Christian Jones, T'Vondre Sweat, Alfred Collins, Jaylan Ford, Jahdae Barron, Ryan Watts and Jerrin Thompson make 11

Catalon, Byron Murphy, Whittington, Kitan Crawford, Keilan Robinson, Johnathan Brooks

That’s 17
You think all of those dudes get drafted?

Where is Boston, ZZ Top, Chicago, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Styx, Kansas? Van Halen #8, really? Stick to Sports, this list sure don’t fit your Pistol?

I was going to say the same thing to you.

... Should Johntay Cook be taking more of Jordan Whittington's snaps? Cook's 51-yard reception against the Bears is longer than any play in Whittington's career and 20 yards more than Whittington’s longest reception this season.

Yes. Whittington hasn’t done much this year. Not sure why—play calling? Can’t get open? Offense needs more from the inside receiver position. Maybe the position is more of a blocker in Sark’s offense?
He's historically just been an ok player.

Early Chicago -CTA and Chicago II were epic rock albums. You’re younger so maybe you hold that opinion regardless of CTA and the second album, but if not, give them a listen. Might surprise you. After V is pop. Jimmy Hendrix said Terry Kath “The best guitarist in the universe“ which of course included him, Clapton, Beck etc.
Chicago is a very nice band. I just don't think they are elite of the elite.

Nice writeup Ketch. I was bullish on the defense in year 3 of PK + the # of upperclassmen but there were big question marks regarding the pass rush and LBs beyond Ford. Gbenda has got to be the biggest 'out of nowhere' LB season since....last year's Ford breakout? Feels like the coaches/system are putting these LBs in positions to excel. LBs should be breaking down our doors trying to get into this program.

Agree to disagree on music. The Eagles can harmonize and who doesn't like Joe Walsh but....ugh. Listened to them during my younger 'classic rock' phase but completely agree with the Big Lebowski on them. That HBO documentary on them was wonderful though. Henley/Frey seemed like some real dicks.

One thing on Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers....holy crap did they have good producers. Their classic stuff by Jimmy Iovine is perfectly engineered to be blasted out of car speakers. Then he goes to Lynne and Rubin? Damn. Not a knock on Petty, Campbell and crew. They were really good with hooks.

Bands I would've liked to have seen in the list...Velvet Underground, Byrds, Pixies, Replacements, Wilco, Ramones, Talking Heads, Television (Marquee Moon is my favorite guitar album ever), Cheap Trick, Sparks, Sly and the Family Stone. Shoutouts to elite backing bands like Booker T and the MG's, The Wrecking Crew, and The Funk Brothers. Just to show i'm not too snobby...give me pure hair band (Motley Crue, Poison) over Aerosmith's poseur blues.

You realize there are only 10 spots in the Top 10, right? ;)

Reactions: Rudygamble
this might have been addressed in the past 12 pages. (I have zero issues with Petty in the list ) but he has 10-12 charting singles as just Tom Petty solo without the Heartbreakers. I think that skews his profile because many think that success was with the band.

IMHO, put the guy with the best hands on the team to catch punts. I said catch rather than return because I think punt return yardage rarely changes the outcome of a game while fumbled punts changes the game much more often.

Of course it’s great if the best hands is also a great return guy but catching >>> returning. Full disclosure I was in school for the 1983 season and a fumbled punt cost us the NC hence my punt ptsd.
I don't think one muff is a reason to panic.

I'm already preparing myself for 2024 to be a bit of a 'reloading' year. Too much expected turnover + (likely) a first-year QB. I do love how much playing time the younger guys are getting on Defense.
agreed

this might have been addressed in the past 12 pages. (I have zero issues with Petty in the list ) but he has 10-12 charting singles as just Tom Petty solo without the Heartbreakers. I think that skews his profile because many think that success was with the band.
That's also fair. I considered that.

Reactions: coopdog
Last 10 out: Bon Jovi, Grateful Dead, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Parliament Funkadelic, Red Hot Chili Peppers, REM, The Allman Brothers, The Doors, Steely Dan and Sly and The Family Stone

10. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
9. Nirvana
8. Van Halen
7. Aerosmith
6. Guns N' Roses
5. Creedence Clearwater Revival
4. Metallica
3. Bruce Spingsteen and the E. Street Band
2. The Beach Boys
1. The Eagles
Can't take this list seriously with no Led Zeppelin and no Beatles.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT