ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (If I never left, can I really come back?)

For those of us who weren't on OB all week, what was Anwar's story this past week that's being discussed ITT? Link, por favor?
Anwar wrote a story about Jefferson last Sunday that described the "disconnect" between Jefferson and the staff.

Literally, hours after the story debuted, Jefferson and a coach in the staff were involved in a situation that led to Jefferson calling that coach out on social media.

Long story short, Jefferson and Herman met last Thursday, about a day before Herman was scheduled to meet with his parents, and they worked out what needed to be worked out.

Through it all, some either believed Anwar was making things up, creating click bait or just didn't have a basis for writing what was written.

Just another week in the off-season for Orangebloods.

I got it. You know better and more.;)

I got it - you think we're morons for considering any other possibility - but haven't given us any insight into what you know exactly that should make us think that your scenario is the correct one....even though it's been discussed a hundred times on here.

Reactions: DanielSucks
I got it - you think we're morons for considering any other possibility - but haven't given us any insight into what you know exactly that should make us think that your scenario is the correct one....even though it's been discussed a hundred times on here.
That just isn't true.

For those of us who weren't on OB all week, what was Anwar's story this past week that's being discussed ITT? Link, por favor?

Don't have the link, but this is it in a nutshell.

@Anwar Richardson insightfully speculated on a "disconnect" between not just this staff but the prior staff with Malik. OBers who missed obvious signs of it went apesh*t. Subsequent reporting pretty much showed @Anwar Richardson was pretty dang spot on.

It sure looks like Anwar received information directly from head coach and Ketch confirmed the information with the head coach before it went on the website. They didn't report their sources at the time in order not to burn their sources. It's as simple as that. What more do you want?

* For Oklahoma's Lincoln Riley: If you don't win more than nine games, should you still be the head coach at Oklahoma in 2018?

or how about asking him this?

* were you even alive the last time ou won a nc?

That just isn't true.

What isn't true?

You've outlined your sources for the story - 100% agreed on running it as it was done. That doesn't make the statement 100% true though, not at the time it was made or even after the same sources confirm it later.

That's like saying that you interviewed Charlie Sheen twice a month apart and he said the same crazy nonsense about Tiger's Blood - and that it's the truth. Obviously that's extreme - but I'm trying to made the correlation.

If there is actual more substance to the timeline and information I'd love to hear it.

I've contended for awhile that the players loved Charlie the man, but there's no way they could've loved Charlie the coach, if they were being honest with themselves, because the coach did Jefferson and the other players no favors with how he and his staff collectively prepared this team to play football week in and week out. They were an incompetent team.

Bedford all but called out Jefferson last year in training camp.
Bedford not only called Malik out, but called him "Charmin" on his way out. Does not exactly instill confidence as the middle LB at Texas when your coach calls you soft .

Reactions: trophies2
Through it all, some either believed Anwar was making things up, creating click bait or just didn't have a basis for writing what was written.

Just another week in the off-season for Orangebloods.

You know that's not entirely accurate. There was another group....A majority group, actually, that simply wanted you guys to explain the beef about which we were reading. We also didn't appreciate being addressed like children, or spoken to in an otherwise condescending manner, when we were simply asking for information. We've gone round and round about this and, if you're still talking about it like this, you missed the point entirely.

Don't have the link, but this is it in a nutshell.

@Anwar Richardson insightfully speculated on a "disconnect" between not just this staff but the prior staff with Malik. OBers who missed obvious signs of it went apesh*t. Subsequent reporting pretty much showed @Anwar Richardson was pretty dang spot on.

That's what some folks did. The majority of us, however, were taking issue with things for a different reason or reasons.

giphy.gif
GOT is GOAT

Reactions: vrod2028
Damn, the season can't get here soon enough so we can squabble over each play of every game instead of squabbling over punctuation, errors, hyperbole, semantics, and reports from last year.

I received a journalism degree from Texas 20 years ago and I'm often a little surprised that the columns have errors as if they weren't proofread. But I'm not on OB for perfect AP style. I love the insight and reporting which is much, much more complete than I can find anywhere else. I also love the humor and full range of reaction in the comments sections.

Is Anwar a world class journalist? I don't know who is qualified to say he is or isn't but more importantly I don't care if he is or isn't. Seriously; who gives a shit? I'm so much more concerned about Herman and Malik getting on the same page and Malik becoming a defensive human highlight film at LB the likes of which have not been seen since Derrick Johnson backside-ball-punched his way into our hearts!

Damn, the season can't get here soon enough so we can squabble over each play of every game instead of squabbling over punctuation, errors, hyperbole, semantics, and reports from last year.

I received a journalism degree from Texas 20 years ago and I'm often a little surprised that the columns have errors as if they weren't proofread. But I'm not on OB for perfect AP style. I love the insight and reporting which is much, much more complete than I can find anywhere else. I also love the humor and full range of reaction in the comments sections.

Is Anwar a world class journalist? I don't know who is qualified to say he is or isn't but more importantly I don't care if he is or isn't. Seriously; who gives a shit? I'm so much more concerned about Herman and Malik getting on the same page and Malik becoming a defensive human highlight film at LB the likes of which have not been seen since Derrick Johnson backside-ball-punched his way into our hearts!
Well spoken. Hear hear.

You know that's not entirely accurate. There was another group....A majority group, actually, that simply wanted you guys to explain the beef about which we were reading. We also didn't appreciate being addressed like children, or spoken to in an otherwise condescending manner, when we were simply asking for information. We've gone round and round about this and, if you're still talking about it like this, you missed the point entirely.
"A majority group"

Is Anwar a world class journalist? I don't know who is qualified to say he is or isn't but more importantly I don't care if he is or isn't.
Before coming to Orangebloods, he reached heights covering the NFL that very few ever reach.

That was the basis for my comment.

Before coming to Orangebloods, he reached heights covering the NFL that very few ever reach.

That was the basis for my comment.
Hey that's good enough for me. Seems like a reasonable bar to measure against.

By the way, I'd like to say that while I was disappointed by the lack of a GOT section, it was offset by your not discussing various Philly team sports or soccer of any sort so... thanks for that ;)

Hey that's good enough for me. Seems like a reasonable bar to measure against.

By the way, I'd like to say that while I was disappointed by the lack of a GOT section, it was offset by your not discussing various Philly team sports or soccer of any sort so... thanks for that ;)
GOT thoughts will follow next week. I just wanted to be done with work and watch the return episode last night.

Glad to hear it.

I've literally never had anyone write this as far as I can tell. Weirdly insulting. His style is his style, but I've never had anyone suggest he can't write and that he's essentially an inferior writer.

I find the charge to be outlandish.

I find your reaction to his writing filled with more drama than his actual output.

So, you're basically pulling rank over him as a reporter. You know better. I've spoken with people at all levels of college and pro football and none of them have listed this as an issue with him. Interestingly, you didn't use any examples to back up your claim, which is odd... yanno... considering that you are a reporter in your own right. Odd, I tell you.

I spoke to Charlie Strong less than 24 hours before the Notre Dam,e on the phone. He was dismayed at the reaction to Anwar's reporting and said that everything he reported was 100-percent true.

On top of that, once other sites laughed off the information, almost every reporter on the Texas beat reported exactly what Anwar wrote. A better reporter would know that, but I feel like your response in general is speaking to your depth as a reporter. Few facts. Few examples. The ones you use are factually incorrect.

You should be glad I'm not your boss.

You really need to go back and do some homework about what was written. You're embarrassing yourself.

I can when they are insulting and full of inaccuracies.

Anwar dominated his market in Tampa. He dominated his market in Detroit. Anwar's profile in the NFL was such that he was an actual NFL Hall of Fame voter. He's won awards. He's worked on the national beat. He's dominated on this beat.

Your post has proven you to be unfit to say a negative word about him, not as someone who claims to be a reporter. You've failed in car crash fashion in this post.Before you spout off in the future, maybe get your facts straight, even if just a few.

At this point, I find you incapable of doing that. Your post speaks for itself.

Be better.
Thank you!

Reactions: txfight
Name Pos Stars
Al'Vonte Woodard WR 4*
Ayodele Adeoye LB 4*
B.J. Foster DB 4*
Caden Sterns DB 4*
Cameron Rising QB 4*
Casey Thompson QB 4*
DeMarvion Overshown LB 4*
Keaontay Ingram RB 4*
Byron Hobbs LB 3*
Cameron Dicker K 3*
Reese Moore OL 3*
Rondale Moore WR/RB 3*
WR: Brennan Eagles (70%)
WR: Tommy Bush (35%)
TE: Malcolm Epps (65%)
TE: Luke Ford (30%)
OL: Rafiti Ghirmai (60%)
OL: Cameron Wire (40%)
DE: Joseph Ossai (40%)
DE: Max Wright (N/A)
DT: Keondre Coburn (75%)
DT: Bobby Brown (40%)
DB: D'Shawn Jamison (75%)
DB: Jalen Green (65%)

DB 4 FOUR STARS
WR 3 FOUR STARS 1 3 STAR
QB 2 4 STARS
We still needed another 4 or 5 star RB and we needed to have a top DE and OL.
I could see on the OL and DL the Juco kids might be a better option.
They could use another top LB also.
Awesome, good metrics. TY

There was plenty of detail.

The only detail we didn't go into was what specifically happened between the Texas assistant coach and Jefferson from the weekend. We felt like, for a variety of reasons, that it was best to not go into detail. The reasons were varied, but ultimately we believed the best decision was to not go into vast detail.

What's funny is that the true majority of the site would have zero issues with me stating that at times this board can act like a bunch of children.

There was plenty of detail.

The only detail we didn't go into was what specifically happened between the Texas assistant coach and Jefferson from the weekend. We felt like, for a variety of reasons, that it was best to not go into detail. The reasons were varied, but ultimately we believed the best decision was to not go into vast detail.

What's funny is that the true majority of the site would have zero issues with me stating that at times this board can act like a bunch of children.
I enjoyed the Anwar article. We should all understand that he can't always give the detail that we all would love to hear.

Bottom line, Malik has been perceived as being to soft by UT coaches. This coaching staff is rightfully challenging him. Is it a coincedence that our 2 5-star players (Malik and Fowler) have acted the most entitled?

Hats off to Herman and staff by holding them accountable. Wheeler and Johnson will at least hit someone and give it 100%.

Reactions: OSWALT
I enjoyed the Anwar article. We should all understand that he can't always give the detail that we all would love to hear.

Bottom line, Malik has been perceived as being to soft by UT coaches. This coaching staff is rightfully challenging him. Is it a coincedence that our 2 5-star players (Malik and Fowler) have acted the most entitled?

Hats off to Herman and staff by holding them accountable. Wheeler and Johnson will at least hit someone and give it 100%.
I think it's 100-percent unfair to refer to Jefferson as entitled.

Needing to get tougher-minded doesn't mean he's entitled. He works his ass off, as much as anyone in the program.

Reactions: Fatty Goodlander
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT