ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (If I never left, can I really come back?)

Check back in after his first loss.
He is going to have a loss. He inherited a team than has lost 21 games in 3 seasons. They don't know how to win, yet. But I bet he doesn't lose a game because we let someone come straight up the middle 3 straight times and block an XP. I bet this defense gets off the field more often than not on 3rd and long, vs. the defenses we have seen the last 3 years...

* For Texas Tech's Kliff Kingsbury: Do you think your buyout is the only reason you still have a job?

HA! Love it!!!

Reactions: UTLHB
Is there some kind of a "glitsch" in our recruitment of big uglies? (OLs)
Kind of an add year. The state doesn't have the war horses it usually has and Texas seems to be on the outside for the best ones that actually exist.

The Uproar over Anwar's column was soooo OB! Never took anything from it other than it's the off-season. Much ado about nothing was made on here, but it's typical for this place.

Reactions: acush
Kind of an add year. The state doesn't have the war horses it usually has and Texas seems to be on the outside for the best ones that actually exist.

Go OOS as needed, at all times, on all positions. CTH does quite well OOS. :)

200.gif
200.gif

200.gif

:)

Reactions: txfight
Malik was really in a bad place when the coaching change happened and felt Charlie did not get the support he needed. He was still very loyal even with the treatment you reference above (which I completely agree with your points). I think he is just getting over the hangover.
I've contended for awhile that the players loved Charlie the man, but there's no way they could've loved Charlie the coach, if they were being honest with themselves, because the coach did Jefferson and the other players no favors with how he and his staff collectively prepared this team to play football week in and week out. They were an incompetent team.

Bedford all but called out Jefferson last year in training camp.

Ketch, I enjoy your website.

The information and insight your service provides, is well worth the monthly dues. There's no question - OB is a great value.

With that said, there seems to be something strange about Anwar's reporting; even more peculiar is the manner in which you continuously defend his work.

First, let us set aside the fact that his basic writing skills are lacking. I'm fairly certain no one would argue that point. There are times, reading his pieces are downright painful. Please, hire an editor, if only for his work.

Still, what I believe rubs some the wrong way, is his apparent constant need to stir the pot; some might call this a desire for drama. While I understand - "stirring the pot," at times is part of the job, he seems to enjoy it more than any other OB reporter. Simply put - drama follows him.

Personally, I've never questioned his sources or your knowledge of who his sources are. What I question is the manner in which he relays the information those sources provide. As a reporter in my own right, I know that a major part of the job is discernment. Anwar just seems to struggle in this area.

It's one thing thing to run with insider info all the way to print; it's another to print inaccurate information. Case in point - "It's Swoopes and it's not even close." Not only was that wrong, it was grossly wrong and it brought a "look at me" type of dynamic to the reporting; which as you know - is the exact opposite of what reporting is supposed to be.

I don't doubt Anwar was informed Swoopes was well ahead of Shane. The problem is - he had the benefit of already seeing what Swoopes was capable of for quite some time. Anwar should have the ability to take that information, sit down at his typewriter and "discern" whether or not it's worthy of passing along, and how to convey that message to his readers. Especially given the fact that it certainly wasn't "even close" - in the exact opposite direction. That's discernment. If he'd only reported "Swoopes Takes the Lead" that would still be newsworthy, with less of a "look at me" feel to it.

Unfortunately, Anwar hasn't seem to grow from that journalistic mistake and he continues to relay information in similar fashion. You can't fault OB readers who remain wary of his reports.

I still enjoy his work from time to time. He's not my favorite writer on this site, and he desperately needs an editor. Still, he's good for the occasional entertaining read.

My overall point is - for you to label him as a "world class reporter" is embarrassing for you, and insulting to your readers. The reasons are too many to list, though I touched on a few above; but I have to tell you - I literally laughed out loud when I read that.

"World class reporter?" Really?

Decent reporter? Maybe. Good hire for you? I suppose so.

But your claim is downright silly.

I'll wrap this up by providing two facts:

1. Anwar is not a world class reporter.
2. If he were, he would not be working at OB.

As I stated above - I do enjoy this site. I find it highly entertaining and it's a good value.

But "world class..." come on.

Last edited:

The information and insight your service provides, is well worth the monthly dues. There's no question - OB is a great value.

With that said, there seems to be something strange about Anwar's reporting; even more peculiar is the manner in which you continuously defend his work.

First, let us set aside the fact that his basic writing skills are lacking. I'm fairly certain no one would argue that point. There are times, reading his pieces are downright painful. Please, hire an editor, if only for his work.

Still, what I believe rubs some the wrong way, is his apparent constant need to stir the pot; some might call this a desire for drama. While I understand - "stirring the pot," at times is part of the job, he seems to enjoy it more than any other OB reporter. Simply put - drama follows him.

Personally, I've never questioned his sources or your knowledge of who his sources are. What I question is the manner in which he relays the information those sources provide. As a reporter in my own right, I know that a major part of the job is discernment. Anwar just seems to struggle in this area.

It's one thing thing to run with insider info all the way to print; it's another to print inaccurate information. Case in point - "It's Swoopes and it's not even close." Not only was that wrong, it was grossly wrong and it brought a "look at me" type of dynamic to the reporting; which as you know - is the exact opposite of what reporting is supposed to be.

I don't doubt Anwar was informed Swoopes was well ahead of Shane. The problem is - he had the benefit of already seeing what Swoopes was capable of for quite some time. Anwar should have the ability to take that information, sit down at his typewriter and "discern" whether or not it's worthy of passing along, and how to convey that message to his readers. Especially given the fact that it certainly wasn't "even close" - in the exact opposite direction. That's discernment. If he'd only reported "Swoopes Takes the Lead" that would still be newsworthy, with less of a "look at me" feel to it.

Unfortunately, Anwar hasn't seem to grow from that journalistic mistake and he continues to relay information in similar fashion. You can't fault OB readers who remain wary of his reports.

I still enjoy his work from time to time. He's not my favorite writer on this site, and he desperately needs an editor. Still, he's good for the occasional entertaining read.

My overall point is - for you to label him as a "world class reporter" is embarrassing for you, and insulting to your readers. The reasons are too many to list, though I touched on a few above; but I have to tell you - I literally laughed out loud when I read that.

As I stated above - I do enjoy this site. I find it highly entertaining and it's a good value.

Uh oh the proverbial shots fired :eek: :eek: :eek:

tumblr_inline_nji9i0rr901rbra2d.gif

source.gif

As an alternative view I would only say that said player was raising hell at the coaching staff on Twitter less than 24 hours later and he is going to be in AUSTIN on the last media day of his college career. Pretending all that means nothing? I think not.

Oh great...
GET-OUT-4.gif

Reactions: PaulieD

Glad to hear it.

I've literally never had anyone write this as far as I can tell. Weirdly insulting. His style is his style, but I've never had anyone suggest he can't write and that he's essentially an inferior writer.

I find the charge to be outlandish.

I find your reaction to his writing filled with more drama than his actual output.

So, you're basically pulling rank over him as a reporter. You know better. I've spoken with people at all levels of college and pro football and none of them have listed this as an issue with him. Interestingly, you didn't use any examples to back up your claim, which is odd... yanno... considering that you are a reporter in your own right. Odd, I tell you.

I spoke to Charlie Strong less than 24 hours before the Notre Dam,e on the phone. He was dismayed at the reaction to Anwar's reporting and said that everything he reported was 100-percent true.

On top of that, once other sites laughed off the information, almost every reporter on the Texas beat reported exactly what Anwar wrote. A better reporter would know that, but I feel like your response in general is speaking to your depth as a reporter. Few facts. Few examples. The ones you use are factually incorrect.

You should be glad I'm not your boss.

You really need to go back and do some homework about what was written. You're embarrassing yourself.

IUnfortunately, Anwar hasn't seem to grow from that journalistic mistake and he continues to relay information in similar fashion. You can't fault OB readers who remain wary of his reports..

I can when they are insulting and full of inaccuracies.

IMy overall point is - for you to label him as a "world class reporter" is embarrassing for you, and insulting to your readers. The reasons are too many to list, though I touched on a few above; but I have to tell you - I literally laughed out loud when I read that.

Anwar dominated his market in Tampa. He dominated his market in Detroit. Anwar's profile in the NFL was such that he was an actual NFL Hall of Fame voter. He's won awards. He's worked on the national beat. He's dominated on this beat.

Your post has proven you to be unfit to say a negative word about him, not as someone who claims to be a reporter. You've failed in car crash fashion in this post.Before you spout off in the future, maybe get your facts straight, even if just a few.

At this point, I find you incapable of doing that. Your post speaks for itself.

Be better.

ADVERTISEMENT