ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (I'm not talking about quarterbacks... just kidding)

Shane never had that level of defense, no had Heard, Swoopes or Ash for that matter. We can win many more games if last nights defense is legit. I have my doubts about SC being a top team given
Stanford lost to San Diego St last night and everyone may have overrated them on offense. Lots of games left to play.
We most always have played traditional passing only quarterbacks well. Where we seem to come apart is the Dual threat that Maryland and Kansas St have. Can't we learn to defend that?The nightmare of Byu and Manny Diaz reoccurs to frequently

Naw...he was throwing to some highly skilled athletes making plays. He's lucky they made a play. I like Sam. He extended some plays with his feet, but without those WRs making some spectacular catches we're not in a position to win. Foreman had to climb the ladder on that 4th down play. Collin Johnson? Dude is Megatron in a UT uniform. He under and over threw him a few times and Collin made the play. C'mon man.
so, yes, you're saying he was lucky. Gotcha...

Is that really the bar that designates All-American level of play... being better than Garrett Gilbert and Case McCoy?
I'm asking when was the last time a player in a Texas uniform at quarterback did what he did.

13 drives during regulation. 7 had 3-4 plays and a punt. 3 ended in turnovers by Sam, 2 picks and a fumble, 1 was a 5 play turnover on downs. That leaves the first drive in the 2d half being a FG and the last drive being a TD. Those were both nice drives. Two, out of Thirteen. That's a terrible percentage.

Mason Rudolph went to Pitt and got TDs in his first 7 possessions. That's someone you give accolades to. Sam has a good future, his last drive and the OT, despite the fumble, showed he can be a help this year, and be a good starter in the future. But my goodness, the posts from you and some on this board about his performance are well beyond burnt orange kool aid.

Shane is far ahead of Sam at this point. Please stop this silliness. Being the leader of the QB controversy club is not appropriate for a mod.

That's kind of the same boat I'm in. Sam obviously has potential to be really good, but he was not even close to being really good or even average in that game.

I mean did Case McCoy play at an All American level against aggy in 2011 because he made a couple big time plays late in the 4th Quarter?

He is the leader of the football team. It looks casual and immature. Blowing a bubble sticks to his nose like a goofball and he pulls it off to put in mouth. Just a weird look. Obviously we have bigger issues like why we don't run football. But this is easily correctable. It's just an awkward look for the coach of a big time school.
What a stupid thing to bitch about. Lots of coaches chew gum. This board would be hilarious if harbaugh was here with some of the nutty things he does

So none of it was Collin Johnson? Did you really just make that assertion?

You are right that this is interesting... because one of us is definitely spinning things, but it's not me.
One of is a fan and the other is an objective observer, excect the fan is the one trying to convince himself that he's the objective observer.

That's kind of the same boat I'm in. Sam obviously has potential to be really good, but he was not even close to being really good or even average in that game.

I mean did Case McCoy play at an All American level against aggy in 2011 because he made a couple big time plays late in the 4th Quarter?
Case did not to do the same thing against A&M that Sam did the other night.

It's been so long since it actually happened that you're using a half-example as your full example.

It was the same pass first game plan that we ran against USC. Beck panics when he sees a defense that hints at loading the box. The offense scored 3 TDs against Maryland and it scored 2 against USC. You wrote road game, so I'm not sure what point you are try to make.
The point is that Shane isn't yet all that good, at least not to very high standards.

I'm asking when was the last time a player in a Texas uniform at quarterback did what he did.

Look, Sam obviously did some good things on that last drive in regulation. The TD pass to Foreman was a big league throw, but even on that drive on the final 4th down series, he missed 2 receivers badly and on the 4th down throw to Foreman(?) he had to make a leaping grab, otherwise game would have been over.

It was a 24-7 game. I don't call that a brutal assault. This is why I hate pre season rankings. The best teams I have seen thus far threw 3 games has been Clemson and OU. Bama just gets the benefit of the doubt because SEC and being Bama.
You couldn't have watched the game and not remembered. It was quite a brutal scene watching them choke out a top five team and leave them with no season to play for in their wake.

This is normal when you have a guy with very high potential playing in his second game, no less on the road against a very good team, you get moments of brilliance and you get moments of WTF.

Some of you, @Ketchum, need to be reminded of that from time to time. Shane has an injured shoulder and Sam is just a pup. Which makes some of the personnel decisions by the offensive staff all the more mind bottling.
what is that you think I need reminding of?

I have a feeling you're another that didn't actually read the article.

No, I read well enough to comprehend your meaning. You say Shane is better then write hundreds of words contradicting yourself. Your hedging and equivocation game is on point.
I don't think you did, though.

Who did I say was better RIGHT NOW? Di I or did I not even use a metric to display the difference?

At this point you're boring me. I'm just going to let you argue with yourself. Have at it.

Look, Sam obviously did some good things on that last drive in regulation. The TD pass to Foreman was a big league throw, but even on that drive on the final 4th down series, he missed 2 receivers badly and on the 4th down throw to Foreman(?) he had to make a leaping grab, otherwise game would have been over.
You still want to take a gander at answering the question?

need more than 5 minutes of QB play to rate as a 9....need the previous 55. Not since Colt have we seen a defense like that show up. Makes a huge difference on the offense as a whole.

Reactions: BCHookem04
I find it very interesting that a few of you think I have this all wrong, yet can't find a single example from the article to dispute directly.

It becomes very revealing.

Reactions: collinhookem18
need more than 5 minutes of QB play to rate as a 9....need the previous 55. Not since Colt have we seen a defense like that show up. Makes a huge difference on the offense as a whole.
You don't need more than five minutes if you're specifically discussing those five minutes.

I properly defined the first 55 minutes, which you seem to be ignoring for the sake of making a faulty point.

I don't think Texas has ever had a true freshman lead a 4th quarter drive to take the lead in his second start on the road against a top 5 team. I don't know that it's ever been done in College football history. That doesn't mean it was an All-American performance.

One of is a fan and the other is an objective observer, excect the fan is the one trying to convince himself that he's the objective observer.
You are the one that is claiming that Sam Ehlinger played at an All-American level on the final drive, that it was all him and no credit should go to Collin Johnson, and yet you claim that I am the one not being objective.

I'm absolutely a fan of Ehlinger. I'm a fan of Buechelle. I'm a fan of the Texas Longhorns. I just think it's hyperbolic to clam All-American. If you had said that he played great or outstanding, or unbelievable for a true freshman, I would have completely agreed with you. But to me All-American means better than any other qb in the country, yet on the very next drive Sam Darnold performed at a higher level.

That leaves me in kind of the same position I felt I was in a week ago when I wrote about this, which is that I'm just not sure what the right answer is. I understand both sides of the discussion and there are fair points on both sides.
I couldn't have said it better myself. We may have two great QB's, and we may have fool's gold. It's just too soon to tell, and I hope we don't ruin these guys by forcing them into situations they aren't ready for. Of cours, with Connor out they may not survive anyway.

Thinking a lot about old times in the last few days. Rest in peace, my friend.
Great pic - I have fond memories of watching you guys do your thing at Scholz's before games. I always enjoyed Sean's contributions here, and his relentless positivity. I can't imagine how tough it is for you all to go about your daily business with this hanging over you. Thanks.

Holton Hill had a great game that nobody is really talking about. Him and Johnson have been our best players this year by far

Reactions: BCHookem04
I don't think Texas has ever had a true freshman lead a 4th quarter drive to take the lead in his second start on the road against a top 5 team. I don't know that it's ever been done in College football history. That doesn't mean it was an All-American performance.

You are the one that is claiming that Sam Ehlinger played at an All-American level on the final drive, that it was all him and no credit should go to Collin Johnson, and yet you claim that I am the one not being objective.

I'm absolutely a fan of Ehlinger. I'm a fan of Buechelle. I'm a fan of the Texas Longhorns. I just think it's hyperbolic to clam All-American. If you had said that he played great or outstanding, or unbelievable for a true freshman, I would have completely agreed with you. But to me All-American means better than any other qb in the country, yet on the very next drive Sam Darnold performed at a higher level.

What planet are you from???? That drive was epic and all-American! Did he hit every throw - no! Did he and the receivers make the plays when it counted YES!! Did he have the best protection for the whole time - no! But he demonstrated poise, grit and some huge f'n testies. I will ride that type of performance all the way.

It looks immature. How many 40 plus yo guys you see blowing bubbles. He is the head coach of the University of Texas. Makes him Appear casual and a bit childish. That's not what you want to see from your leader. What if his players started blowing bubbles on sideline do you think that's good for the team ?

This isn't baseball. There is a different tradition. It's a game of tough men.

Oh boy. Doesn't bother me or make me think any less of him. I respect that it bothers you though.

Reactions: UTVET
Chewing gum and blowing bubbles on the sideline is nothing.

How many times have we seen a camera catching a coach eating their boogers? Hell, Ara Parseghian used to get caught numerous times scratching his azz and then smelling his fingers.

Chewing gum is OK.

I did. And I also saw Clemson beat Auburn. They look even better than last year. I don't think I can say that about Alabama.
at the end of the day, this might just get settled for the third straight year with a match-up at the end of the season.

Clemson looks sensational.

Reactions: ForeTX

forget about freshman status, when was the last time Texas had a quarterback go the length of the field in the final moments of a game on the road at a ranked team and deliver what could have been a game-winning touchdown pass?

forget about freshman status, when was the last time Texas had a quarterback go the length of the field in the final moments of a game on the road at a ranked team and deliver what could have been a game-winning touchdown pass?

I couldn't have said it better myself. We may have two great QB's, and we may have fool's gold. It's just too soon to tell, and I hope we don't ruin these guys by forcing them into situations they aren't ready for. Of cours, with Connor out they may not survive anyway.

Great pic - I have fond memories of watching you guys do your thing at Scholz's before games. I always enjoyed Sean's contributions here, and his relentless positivity. I can't imagine how tough it is for you all to go about your daily business with this hanging over you. Thanks.
Sean used to think he wasn't appreciated on Orangebloods.

That so wasn't the case.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT