ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (I'm not talking about quarterbacks... just kidding)

Chewing gum and blowing bubbles on the sideline is nothing.

How many times have we seen a camera catching a coach eating their boogers? Hell, Ara Parseghian used to get caught numerous times scratching his azz and then smelling his fingers.

Chewing gum is OK.
Like I said it's Les Miles-ish. That doesn't have to be a bad thing.

We definitely have a quarterback battle/issue but it's sure a lot better room than the past few years choices

Wow our standards have slipped if you think that was All-American level play.
When you consider if he had a OL it was a 9, as it was an 8!
Just to put everything in perspective the last TD was thrown and caught by two true freshman that were playing HS ball at this time last year in the same dist....That's a big WOW!

Torn on Sam. Feel like he was one of the main reasons we lost and one of the main reasons we we up with less than a minute to play. Gets a push from me.
Probably the best summary of his game I've read. He was AWFUL for huge chunks of the first 3 quarters. He was nails at the end. I know this won't be popular, but like Clay Travis, I'll say it anyway...

I think a healthy Shane Buechele wins that game. Not because he would have done everything Sam did in the 4th quarter, but because I think he'd have scored more points in the first 3 quarters. When we abandoned the Chris Warren run game against Maryland, Shane kept the offense moving, even when Maryland knew we were going to pass.

In his only game under this staff, with a crap game plan, he had good numbers and did not have any game changing mistakes. That may not be the high standard you are looking for, but with a defense, it wins games.
Except Maryland, I guess.

Probably the best summary of his game I've read. He was AWFUL for huge chunks of the first 3 quarters. He was nails at the end. I know this won't be popular, but like Clay Travis, I'll say it anyway...

I think a healthy Shane Buechele wins that game. Not because he would have done everything Sam did in the 4th quarter, but because I think he'd have scored more points in the first 3 quarters. When we abandoned the Chris Warren run game against Maryland, Shane kept the offense moving, even when Maryland knew we were going to pass.
there's not much evidence to support this, it's just the thing that people say to make themselves feel better.

so, yes, you're saying he was lucky. Gotcha...
So you're saying all of his passes were accurate and right on the money? W/o those WRs making plays we're not in the game. Even when he had good protection his accuracy was suspect.

The offense scored 7 points in regulation. 7! He may be ready in the future, but not now. Credit the receivers and D for that game.

I was at the game and WOW, the energy in the Coliseum was simply amazing! If our defense plays the way they did against a very good offense in USC, there isn't a game we shouldn't be capable of winning left on our schedule. Give credit to Darnold for making the Heisman-level jump pass to keep them in it. Just a 10/10 as far as football games go and I'm so glad I made the trip.

So you're saying all of his passes were accurate and right on the money? W/o those WRs making plays we're not in the game. Even when he had good protection his accuracy was suspect.

The offense scored 7 points in regulation. 7! He may be ready in the future, but not now. Credit the receivers and D for that game.
a. I'm just calling out the ridiculous nitpicking for what it is.

b. Context matters. When we're talking about a specific five minutes, you trying to talk about the other 55 minutes as a retort means that you've lost your way in the conversation.

there's not much evidence to support this, it's just the thing that people say to make themselves feel better.
How does it make me feel better? I'm generally on board with what you write and I'm cool if you think I'm wrong about Shane winning that game. But I have no idea what you mean about this "being a thing I say to make me feel better?" WTF?

How does it make me feel better? I'm generally on board with what you write and I'm cool if you think I'm wrong about Shane winning that game. But I have no idea what you mean about this "being a thing I say to make me feel better?" WTF?
a. You're not alone in saying that Shane would have won the game if he played. It's a popular comment today. In general, I'm speaking about the group and not you, specifically.

b. There's virtually zero evidence that Shane would have performed well in that game. He hasn't played well on the road or against really good teams.

His offense scored 0 points against Maryland in the first half, yet people are convinced the offense would have scored more points in the first half against USC.

Both of these quarterbacks are hanging around the average mark right now. The one that goes above that and can stay healthy (maybe the bigger point) will be the guy.

a. I'm just calling out the ridiculous nitpicking for what it is.

b. Context matters. When we're talking about a specific five minutes, you trying to talk about the other 55 minutes as a retort means that you've lost your way in the conversation.

Bottom line is...he's not ready. It's not nitpicking. I see a bunch of moral victory talk, and feel like you're totally dismissing the play of our best position group, WR. I'm looking at the game as a whole. We win that game by 2+ TDs with better QB play. His last two turnovers were literally gamechangers.

Bottom line is...he's not ready. It's not nitpicking. I see a bunch of moral victory talk, and feel like you're totally dismissing the play of our best position group, WR. I'm looking at the game as a whole. We win that game by 2+ TDs with better QB play. His last two turnovers were literally gamechangers.
You clearly didn't read the column.

ha. Ehlinger certainly wasn't a 9 at the end. Can you be a 9 with a critical fumble in the "late stages"? That's pretty loose scoring if so.

He missed a few wide open receivers and had to have some miracle plays to make up for the incompletions in earlier downs. It worked out, but 9? No.

Reactions: BCHookem04
a. You're not alone in saying that Shane would have won the game if he played. It's a popular comment today. In general, I'm speaking about the group and not you, specifically.

b. There's virtually zero evidence that Shane would have performed well in that game. He hasn't played well on the road or against really good teams.

His offense scored 0 points against Maryland in the first half, yet people are convinced the offense would have scored more points in the first half against USC.

Both of these quarterbacks are hanging around the average mark right now. The one that goes above that and can stay healthy (maybe the bigger point) will be the guy.
Thanks, that makes more sense. And just so we're crystal clear here, the only thing that makes me feel better is a Longhorn win. I personally don't care who starts at QB.

But before the last drive in the 4th qtr, I think Sam's numbers were 12 completions on 26 attempts for 133 yards, no touchdowns and 2 interceptions. I'll be the first to say we were jobbed on AT LEAST 2 DPI calls that would have made a huge difference to his stat line. And maybe Shane would be terrible on the road against USC; there is no evidence to support how he'd have performed either way. But it's not a stretch to say he would have passed better than Sam did prior to the last drive in the 4th qtr. You can admit that right?

ha. Ehlinger certainly wasn't a 9 at the end. Can you be a 9 with a critical fumble in the "late stages"? That's pretty loose scoring if so.

He missed a few wide open receivers and had to have some miracle plays to make up for the incompletions in earlier downs. It worked out, but 9? No.
Riddle me this, Batman.

The last time a Texas quarterback got the ball behind on the road and took the team the length of the field in the final minutes of the game for a touchdown to put it in a position to win the game was when?

These moments don't grow on trees. Feel free in taking your time to answer the question.

Reactions: Big Bertha
Thanks, that makes more sense. And just so we're crystal clear here, the only thing that makes me feel better is a Longhorn win. I personally don't care who starts at QB.

But before the last drive in the 4th qtr, I think Sam's numbers were 12 completions on 26 attempts for 133 yards, no touchdowns and 2 interceptions. I'll be the first to say we were jobbed on AT LEAST 2 DPI calls that would have made a huge difference to his stat line. And maybe Shane would be terrible on the road against USC; there is no evidence to support how he'd have performed either way. But it's not a stretch to say he would have passed better than Sam did prior to the last drive in the 4th qtr. You can admit that right?
Yes, it is a stretch, unless we're just talking about marginal results.

What were Shane's numbers the last time he played on the road?

There actually is evidence to support what I'm saying.

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Bertha
Shane Buechele's last three road starts:

at Kansas: 17 of 26 for 165 yards, 1 TD, 3 INT
at Tech: 20 of 44 for 244 yards, 2 TD, 0 INT
at KSU: 17 of 24 for 222 yards, 2 TD, 0 INT (performance saved by an 80-yard catch and run by Duvernay

None of those performances were good. One was awful and the other two were meh at best.

In all three, he had the best left tackle and running back in the country helping him, a luxury that Sam didn't have Saturday.

Save the "Shane would have won the game hot takes" for someone that isn't keenly aware of every situation these kids have been in.

Neither player should be starting at a program like Texas at this point.

Except Maryland, I guess.
Clearly, neither Sam or Shane can carry this team to a win alone. At least Sam had an insane defensive effort to bolster his attempt.

If Texas had the same defensive effort from the Maryland game versus USC, you wouldn't be talking about Sam. His efforts would have been lost and pointless in the blowout.

Clearly, neither Sam or Shane can carry this team to a win alone. At least Sam had an insane defensive effort to bolster his attempt.

If Texas had the same defensive effort from the Maryland game versus USC, you wouldn't be talking about Sam. His efforts would have been lost and pointless in the blowout.
Yes, we'd still be talking about a quarterback situation that even the head coach seems to take day by day.

How about Shane against OU last year? I mean everyone is saying the USC game was about 50/50 crowd. That was a near win as you said (which is kind of a crazy bar you set). Simply put, our defense hasn't played like that in 8 years so it's all pretty moot at this time until we see Shane play with that defense. IMO I don't see anyway we lose that game with Shane in there. That 1st half was awful football by Sam and really up until the end of the game was that way. He was like 13 of 32 at one time in the game. Sam is not ready and it shows. He is the reason we came back at the end of the game and he is also the reason we lost at the end of the game with the TO. 4 TOs is just way too much by a QB and is really the reason we lost the game.

I like Sam and I believe he will be a good QB for us but he's not the best choice right now. The coaches would have him starting if he was and they don't, so they agree with my assessment at least for now. You guys are just wanting Sam to start and I get it, there probably is a connection there and that's ok. I root for my friends as well. It's obvious when you blamed Shane for our loses last year, (when we had the worst defense of all time in Texas Football history) that you had something going on. There is no way Sam would have done any better last season (if it were his freshman year) under those same situations with our defense. Sam would have lost the Maryland game even worse with his slower pocket movement. Sam is the tougher kid that can stand up to more punishment, and he may be the better leader, but he's not ready yet to beat out Shane. Until the coaches say otherwise I'll go with their assessment.

It's really not a hard decision on who the qb should be. It's Ehlinger by a mile with all things considered. If two guys are close to equal at a given time such as this, I'll take the guy that has showed more confidence, the better runner, the guy that doesn't get happy feet, the man that just went toe to toe with a top 5 rated team and so on. Even if you take some lumps which are sure to occur, the decision isn't real close. Hookem

I agree. SE has way more upside and I think his play against USC just boosted the the confidence level in himself and the whole team. SE is a baller and will get better each game and I think Herman is smart enough to get SE the experience he needs this year. SB is a good QB no doubt but he is a much more of a pocket passer who needs time to set up and throw and he's a better passer than SE at this point but SE can throw it pretty well too. I think we will see SE protect the ball better and make fewer mistakes as they move forward. Like someone said earlier it's nice to have 2 good QBs now but Sam E is the future of this team. And yes, USC is over rated.

forget about freshman status, when was the last time Texas had a quarterback go the length of the field in the final moments of a game on the road at a ranked team and deliver what could have been a game-winning touchdown pass?
I don't know that it's ever happened. VY at Ohio State maybe qualifies? Before that Major in the Holiday Bowl against Washington?

Ketch isn't saying that Shane should not be the starter. He should. He is saying that there is no evidence that Shane would have won the game the other night. We will never know. Both are going to need to play. Hopefully both can do well and stay healthy with our mess of an offensive line.

Last edited:
How about Shane against OU last year? I mean everyone is saying the USC game was about 50/50 crowd. That was a near win as you said (which is kind of a crazy bar you set). Simply put, our defense hasn't played like that in 8 years so it's all pretty moot at this time until we see Shane play with that defense. IMO I don't see anyway we lose that game with Shane in there. That 1st half was awful football by Sam and really up until the end of the game was that way. He was like 13 of 32 at one time in the game. Sam is not ready and it shows. He is the reason we came back at the end of the game and he is also the reason we lost at the end of the game with the TO. 4 TOs is just way too much by a QB and is really the reason we lost the game.

I like Sam and I believe he will be a good QB for us but he's not the best choice right now. The coaches would have him starting if he was and they don't, so they agree with my assessment at least for now. You guys are just wanting Sam to start and I get it, there probably is a connection there and that's ok. I root for my friends as well. It's obvious when you blamed Shane for our loses last year, (when we had the worst defense of all time in Texas Football history) that you had something going on. There is no way Sam would have done any better last season (if it were his freshman year) under those same situations with our defense. Sam would have lost the Maryland game even worse with his slower pocket movement. Sam is the tougher kid that can stand up to more punishment, and he may be the better leader, but he's not ready yet to beat out Shane. Until the coaches say otherwise I'll go with their assessment.

What about the 7 points we gave USC on last play of first half? Or the field goal we did not attempt early in the game at the USC 17 yard line? Not saying our kicker makes that one but......Sam E saved a lot of plays and took some punishment that SB usually is not able to do.

ADVERTISEMENT