ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (I'm not talking about quarterbacks... just kidding)

What about the 7 points we gave USC on last play of first half? Or the field goal we did not attempt early in the game at the USC 17 yard line? Not saying our kicker makes that one but......Sam E saved a lot of plays and took some punishment that SB usually is not able to do.

Yes there a lot of "what if's" in that game but simply stated, our defense held them to USC to 17 points in regulation, yes, USC. With just half our normal offensive production we win that game.

How about Shane against OU last year?
19 of 36 for 245 yards, 3 TD, 1 INT, 131.9 game rating, 60.3 adjusted QBR

He was solid in that game, but far from very good. Having Foreman rush for 150+ and 2 touchdowns sure as shit helped.

Both of these quarterbacks are screwed from a running game/offensive line support stand point.

Yes there a lot of "what if's" in that game but simply stated, our defense held them to USC to 17 points in regulation, yes, USC. With just half our normal offensive production we win that game.
normal?

Like the normal from the Maryland game?

Yes, it is a stretch, unless we're just talking about marginal results.

What were Shane's numbers the last time he played on the road?

There actually is evidence to support what I'm saying.
Last time he played on the road, he was hurt, playing for shithead coaches, for a lost cause season and he was still a true freshman.

"...unless we're talking about marginal results..." is kind of an awkward phrase to use when the question is asking for a binary answer. Is it a stretch to say Shane would have played better than [pretty badly]? The answer is "No, it's not a stretch."

I usually think you get unfairly pegged as an arguer, but come on brother... You would argue, that it's a stretch to think Shane would have passed better than Sam for the first 3 quarters? I don't think you would make that statement unless you were just dead set on winning every single argument.

normal?

Like the normal from the Maryland game?

Maybe and besides Maryland we played would have beaten USC. I'm not so sure Maryland isn't a lot better than we think they are. We'll find out in a couple of weeks when they play tOSU.

Last edited:
If Kingsbury and Beaty both get fired at the end of the year we should hire both of them and let them run the offense next year.

If you believe in the defense we saw vs SC then Shane has to be the QB as long as he is healthy. With a strong defense you go with the guy who is less likely to lose the game for you, and not a true freshman unless you have no other reasonable choice.

As well, the coaching staff clearly has no confidence in the run game so you have to go with the guy that has the more accurate arm.

This is a great point. I think it's the dilemma that CTH is facing. Do I play it safe with Shane and his limited ability to run (he can run but can he stay healthy) or do I play Sam and gamble on him and his higher upside while risking the TF mistakes we saw against USC (4 turnovers). Tough call but Herman likes to gamble and we will see how things unfold. I personally would like to see Sam continue to start and get the in game experience he's lacking.

Agree. At least we found out this team has some "dog" in it and it was awesome to finally see them play that hard. We should have won that game.....we still have lots of bonehead players that make really stupid mistakes that help us beat ourselves.......untimely penalties, etc.....poor play calling and crap officiating.

Agree. At least we found out this team has some "dog" in it and it was awesome to finally see them play that hard. We should have won that game.....we still have lots of bonehead players that make really stupid mistakes that help us beat ourselves.......untimely penalties, etc.....poor play calling and crap officiating.

Yep, you are correct Sir.

Reactions: Cattledog100
Forget last year. This is now and the last few minutes of any game can be critical if you don't score much throughout the rest of the game. Do I see this right....Shane has to score on the first two drives of the game against Iowa State or else Sam should take over ? That is just incredible logic to me. I have never seen that applied to any QB before and the bias is just overwhelming. Coach Herman needs to start Shane and stick with him as long as he is healthy. We need consistency and Shane gives us that.

How about Shane against OU last year? I mean everyone is saying the USC game was about 50/50 crowd.

I was there and although there were a lot of Horns in the crowd, unless they were wearing red the crowd was still about 70-30. Maybe 65-45. USC definitely had the advantage, but it was a nice showing for a road game half way cross the country.

Taking a time out from QB talk:
  • Herman needs to kick that FG
  • We got screwed by the referees on at least 2 obvious DPI calls
  • Malik plays better in coverage on passing downs than blitzing. USC was the first time I've seen him blitz successfully. But he's really good spying QB's and against the run.
  • Buy/Sell question: Is Devin Duvernay the walking epitome of a sophomore slump? He's making John Burt's soph season look like a success.
  • Was the attendance and electricity of the USC game evidence that we need to reconsider the Pac 12 as a future conference landing spot?
  • I'm a firm believer that Texas has the hottest female fans (apologies to USC and Ole Miss) so why in the world couldn't we find some better looking representatives for Tom Rinaldi's NYC fan bar segment?
  • It warmed my heart to see all the VY love this weekend.

19 of 36 for 245 yards, 3 TD, 1 INT, 131.9 game rating, 60.3 adjusted QBR

He was solid in that game, but far from very good. Having Foreman rush for 150+ and 2 touchdowns sure as shit helped.

Both of these quarterbacks are screwed from a running game/offensive line support stand point.
Compared to Sams 27.4 QBR in this game, that is pretty damn good. Although I actually agree that neither QB is ready or should be the one being relied upon for Texas.

I usually think you get unfairly pegged as an arguer, but come on brother... You would argue, that it's a stretch to think Shane would have passed better than Sam for the first 3 quarters? I don't think you would make that statement unless you were just dead set on winning every single argument.
It's the how much better that I'd probably debate with some.

Compared to Sams 27.4 QBR in this game, that is pretty damn good. Although I actually agree that neither QB is ready or should be the one being relied upon for Texas.
That game also wasn't a road game or a first road game, but it is it's own animal, for sure.

The larger most important point is that we're talking about 6's and maybe 6.5s. The bigger picture matters in this conversation and there are so many unknown variables to be emphatic about anything.

I think this is an understated factor in the Shane vs. Sam debate. You can argue about who throws the better ball, who runs better, who has better vision, etc., but another factor is which QB does the team rally around better. Watching the game and the emotion in the huddle, it seems as though the team fights harder for Sam.

But it's a logical fallacy to assert that because the last time it happened at Texas the qb was an All-American, it means that the qb that did it this time was performing at an All-American level. It's a non sequitor.
The scarcity of such a moment actually supports my point that for those five minutes, Sam performed like an ace.

Those moments, when they happen, are the things of legend.

It's the how much better that I'd probably debate with some.
And that's as close to getting you to concede a point as I was hoping to get!

I'll be honest, Monday's generally suck but reading TTFTW is one of the best part's of the day. Thanks for the discussion.

You're right about Iowa State, Ketch. This is the pivotal game of the season. Win, and move on to bigger and better things. Lose, and find yourself facing a long season without any momentum working for you. And once again, so sorry to lose Sean Adams. I know he was a dear friend of yours. Very tough to lose a buddy.

Reactions: BrushCountryHorn
I just read 6 pages of this thread and one thing is abundantly clear - Ketch's agenda on the QB situation. I especially enjoy the patronizing tone to which he replies to any that disagree as well as the argument of "one of us is a fanatic and one of us is an unbiased observer". Classic Ketch. Completely insufferable at times when he sees an opportunity to throw gasoline on any minor controversy with the Texas football program. It's a wonder why people call this program a cesspool..

Reactions: DrothmanII
Yes, we'd still be talking about a quarterback situation that even the head coach seems to take day by day.
Nope, the natives would be questioning the hiring of TH had we been blown out. Thankfully, one of his coordinators earned their paycheck.

I was there and although there were a lot of Horns in the crowd, unless they were wearing red the crowd was still about 70-30. Maybe 65-45. USC definitely had the advantage, but it was a nice showing for a road game half way cross the country.

Sorry I don't mean to beat your math up but wouldn't it be 55-45? ;)

forget about freshman status, when was the last time Texas had a quarterback go the length of the field in the final moments of a game on the road at a ranked team and deliver what could have been a game-winning touchdown pass?
Major Applewhite on the against highly ranked Nebraska in 1998, Mack Brown's 1st season.

VY had more comeback victories than any QB in college football, but he'd usually win with his legs and have come from behind blowouts like against Ok St twice. VY did take down Kansas on the road with a last second TD pass but KU wasn't ranked.

Our LB'er play was as good as I have seen in many years. We had severa[ of those guys playing at an elite level Saturday night. It was a beautiful sight to see. I was especially glad to see Malik rocking people coast to coast.

How about Shane against OU last year? I mean everyone is saying the USC game was about 50/50 crowd. That was a near win as you said (which is kind of a crazy bar you set). Simply put, our defense hasn't played like that in 8 years so it's all pretty moot at this time until we see Shane play with that defense. IMO I don't see anyway we lose that game with Shane in there. That 1st half was awful football by Sam and really up until the end of the game was that way. He was like 13 of 32 at one time in the game. Sam is not ready and it shows. He is the reason we came back at the end of the game and he is also the reason we lost at the end of the game with the TO. 4 TOs is just way too much by a QB and is really the reason we lost the game.

I like Sam and I believe he will be a good QB for us but he's not the best choice right now. The coaches would have him starting if he was and they don't, so they agree with my assessment at least for now. You guys are just wanting Sam to start and I get it, there probably is a connection there and that's ok. I root for my friends as well. It's obvious when you blamed Shane for our loses last year, (when we had the worst defense of all time in Texas Football history) that you had something going on. There is no way Sam would have done any better last season (if it were his freshman year) under those same situations with our defense. Sam would have lost the Maryland game even worse with his slower pocket movement. Sam is the tougher kid that can stand up to more punishment, and he may be the better leader, but he's not ready yet to beat out Shane. Until the coaches say otherwise I'll go with their assessment.
When has Shane ever demonstrated he can escape the pocket and make big plays downfield? Last season and against Maryland when Shane did manage to avoid the sack he'd have to run for his life just to throw it away.

Put Shane behind a great O-line with an established running game and he can be highly effective. The question is, can Shane be effective on THIS TEAM with its wounded OL (AA LT now injured) and no running game to rely upon? Shane is a more accurate passer, no question. But he wouldn't have been able to scramble and make great plays down the field against USC like Sam did. So the question is, can Shane be effective against Iowa State? Will our running game and OL pass protection improve so he has ample time to read the D and throw? I think so. But to take down big time opponents like OU, Ok St and TCU we're probably gonna need our feisty, fearless, mobile freshman at QB.

ADVERTISEMENT