ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Intel you need to know)

At the end of the day, I think the bigger root issue is that too many people begrudge the players for making money.
That’s definitely one element. However, I think there are other fundamental issues that have many questioning wtf is going on. Also, when you consider that the organization and coaches have all the control and are ultimately responsible for the product, it makes sense the money would also be in house. Otherwise you have a base of people funding the most important piece of your product but have no knowledge of what is really necessary and how and why it’s used, nor do they have any control over the outcomes. Fans are just too disconnected from the reality and the process but are expected to be the stewards. Doesn’t make sense. I pay my employees because I’m the one with my fingers on the pulse and all the controls and decision making and ultimately being my ass on the line.

Reactions: THELAW21
I thought it was Top 30-40 good.

That seems way low for me. Without looking I’d ask if you could name another ~20-30 WWII movies, let alone ones better than this one.

My top ten would likely include most of yours, slightly different order probably. I’d like to find a spot for The Big Red One (need to rewatch that too), but for me this would be in that just missed category and no way that low.

It's not a problem for A&M.
That’s short sighted. You’re describing a scenario where the whole market is due to correct. Now they might have a little more but they’ll be making choices at that time too and not just having a blank check book.

Reactions: hornin nyc
I am toying with the thought that this will be cyclical. We will be in the top 15 in NIL always but there will also be a school that's on the money come and they will competent too.

I mean what if we win the natty this year? If I was one of those guys giving now I'd be like who's up next? And if there isn't anyone we have to wait to be worse for awhile

However hmm the math. ? If 100,000 alumni give 20 bucks a month that's 24 million - I.e. plenty.

So we must have like 10000 max - am I right? Sorry if this has been posted (the numbers)

I mean I give more than that but not enough to hurt

That’s short sighted. You’re describing a scenario where the whole market is due to correct. Now they might have a little more but they’ll be making choices at that time too and not just having a blank check book.
They’re the thirstiest kids on the block, by a mile. They aren’t really a good example, except for the fact that they are our closest rival, so it’s easy to point and say “aggy is doing it”. Well yeah, you knew they would. Like saying hey a crazy person is doing something crazy! Yeah, that’s what they do. Doesn’t mean it’s good or sustainable.

They’re the thirstiest kids on the block, by a mile. They aren’t really a good example, except for the fact that they are our closest rival, so it’s easy to point and say “aggy is doing it”. Well yeah, you knew they would. Like saying hey a crazy person is doing something crazy! Yeah, that’s what they do.

It's interesting. I mean I work in financial markets and I have seen this a million times. What's the externality that would drive consistent over the top giving? Aggieness? Actually maybe.

In cycling jumbo visma just won the triple. It's never ever been done before (giro tour and vuelta) so what happens? Their title sponsor drops them and they are having to combine with another team that has been historically great but lost their sugar daddy

Honestly this is like Texas winning the Natty and half the fans stop giving anything. It's more than that.

I can't figure any of this out

Reactions: McGuapo
It's interesting. I mean I work in financial markets and I have seen this a million times. What's the externality that would drive consistent over the top giving? Aggieness? Actually maybe.

In cycling jumbo visma just won the triple. It's never ever been done before (giro tour and vuelta) so what happens? Their title sponsor drops them and they are having to combine with another team that has been historically great but lost their sugar daddy

Honestly this is like Texas winning the Natty and half the fans stop giving anything. It's more than that.

I can't figure any of this out
It’s not built for long term success as currently constructed. JMO. I’m just not seeing it, but I’m a huckleberry for the moment.

They’re the thirstiest kids on the block, by a mile. They aren’t really a good example, except for the fact that they are our closest rival, so it’s easy to point and say “aggy is doing it”. Well yeah, you knew they would. Like saying hey a crazy person is doing something crazy! Yeah, that’s what they do. Doesn’t mean it’s good or sustainable.
Wait until this recession hits. Shits gonna change for sure. Why don’t they just ask to add 1, 2, or 3 $ to every beer you buy on game days? If people knew that they’d do it instantly.

Wait until this recession hits. Shits gonna change for sure. Why don’t they just ask to add 1, 2, or 3 $ to every beer you buy on game days? If people knew that they’d do it instantly.
Well when you put your balls in the hands of others, you’re subject to any of the feelings and whims of the person holding them.

Adonai Mitchell didn't just come to Texas to be close to family. Xavier Worthy isn't still on campus because he loves Zilker Park. T'Vondre Sweat didn't come back to Texas for another season when the NFL was calling because he liked playing for free so much that he thought he would do it for one more season.
According to Ketchum
On how you keep guys in the program and stick to development in today's day and age ... first, it starts with their relationships. He tries to be a hands-on coach, tries to have a really good connection with the players. At the end of the day, wherever you are on the depth chart, they're trying to get everybody better every day. Trying to develop them as players, as students, as a person. Players appreciate that. Ultimately they've created a culture that guys like to be part of.
According to Sarkisian.

See ketch, it AIN'T ABOUT THE BENJAMINS!;)

According to Ketchum

According to Sarkisian.

See ketch, it AIN'T ABOUT THE BENJAMINS!;)
It’s a bit of a hush hush nebulous thing, as mentioned earlier, and Sarks comments kind of reflect that, which is one element of the disconnect.

Says the guy calling people names... and... sticking up for.... *checks his notes*... Curt Schilling...
Not sticking up for Curt schilling just calling a spade a spade. How old are you dude seriously? Name calling, lol. You must of had a hard time in school with the thin skin you have.

That’s definitely one element. However, I think there are other fundamental issues that have many questioning wtf is going on. Also, when you consider that the organization and coaches have all the control and are ultimately responsible for the product, it makes sense the money would also be in house. Otherwise you have a base of people funding the most important piece of your product but have no knowledge of what is really necessary and how and why it’s used, nor do they have any control over the outcomes. Fans are just too disconnected from the reality and the process but are expected to be the stewards. Doesn’t make sense. I pay my employees because I’m the one with my fingers on the pulse and all the controls and decision making and ultimately being my ass on the line.

Our legacy model involved very wealthy donors making large donations to the Longhorn Foundation and then wielding influence, there was nothing that qualified them for the most part to be making football decisions. While NIL for football has a lot of warts, specific to Texas, the system has allowed the experts to start driving the bus with much less distraction and interference and I think from what you have seen on the field this year, it is obvious it is definitely not fan directed.

When a persons gives to Texas One Fund, my belief is they just want to win and be good at football, you don't expect access or benefits because at the end of the day, all I can really sell is winning.

Our legacy model involved very wealthy donors making large donations to the Longhorn Foundation and then wielding influence, there was nothing that qualified them for the most part to be making football decisions. While NIL for football has a lot of warts, specific to Texas, the system has allowed the experts to start driving the bus with much less distraction and interference and I think from what you have seen on the field this year, it is obvious it is definitely not fan directed.

When a persons gives to Texas One Fund, my belief is they just want to win and be good at football, you don't expect access or benefits because at the end of the day, all I can really sell is winning.

That makes sense and I can see why BMDs are not as enthused.

This makes a lot of sense if they can work it legally

I get all that, for sure. Just not sure it’s resonating the way it should, or that it’s sustainable as it is now. I certainly don’t think the fans should have influence over the decisions, that’s kind of my point. Even if we are only discussing perception, perception is sometimes everything when you’re telling people it’s their responsibility and the pay off is winning, which is largely controlled by other things and decisions that are made by others.

Of course, this all has to be viewed through the different prisms of the masses versus the bigs. It’s a lot to deal with, no doubt. I don’t envy it.

To be clear, I’m not saying it’s just a Texas NIL thing that’s broken, I’m saying it’s a fundamental problem with the entire system. Are there other examples of this type of system working across a large platform like the entire system of universities?

Not sticking up for Curt schilling just calling a spade a spade. How old are you dude seriously? Name calling, lol. You must of had a hard time in school with the thin skin you have.

I'd have just whipped your ass in school and that would have been that.

• Haha
Reactions: jp0407 and MB-HORNS

MOAR!!!!

But, seriously, that's good stuff.

Reactions: darrenj
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT