ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (It's all about Herman vs. Riley this week...)

And OU's offense might be better than LSU's.
Highly likely is probably a better description there.

Edit for addition: LSU’s defense is probably better than ou’s too

One of the best weeks of the year in any event.

Last edited:
Bah, humbug!

All joking aside, don't you think either Sam was too far forward or Cosmi was too far back? That across the field throw had to be planned as a forward pass such that if the connection was not made it merely turns into an incomplete pass ... right?

And for the record, I was as happy as the next Longhorn after the score, high fiveing etc.

Running game in college football includes the short passing game. I’m not worried about the offense.

The days of using all 40 seconds on the play clock and running regardless of look are over.

Besides if you want Sam National spotlight this is the time to do it.

We shouldn’t play keep away we should play take away. Play aggressive on defense and force turnovers.

I think we have a lot of wins left in this team this year and that is a huge upgrade over where we were at the end of the Mack Era and the debacle of Strong. With that said, Tom is just a good coach (not a miracle worker) and we're no more than a top 15 - 20 team this year. Hopefully we play well next week and keep it close ... that would frankly be a reasonable expectation.

This is a reasonable post.
Keep it close and UT is only a top 15-20 team this year. You have UT in your top 10 and you are agreeing with this @Ketchum?

This OU game has no beat on it. I don't think anyone can say with confidence what's gonna happen. should be fun. anyone watching from new orleans by chance?

Reactions: BobHorn
Herman needs to turn Sam loose in the running game. He needs double digit designed carries. I know it’s not ideal. But it is what is is. This running attack isn’t good enough to keep OU honest. If we play the game we played against Georgia we win. If not. Well, you know.

report back.
I found heath Leger’s joker to be much more maniacal, twisted, and seemingly intelligent. But mainly, that they were just two completely different films. The Dark Knight for me will go down as the much more memorable film but I liked The Joker.

I think we have a lot of wins left in this team this year and that is a huge upgrade over where we were at the end of the Mack Era and the debacle of Strong. With that said, Tom is just a good coach (not a miracle worker) and we're no more than a top 15 - 20 team this year. Hopefully we play well next week and keep it close ... that would frankly be a reasonable expectation.
Texas beat OU last year. Anything can happen but fvck going into Saturday just hoping to keep it close. Texas is also already better than a top 15-20 Ranked team

Reactions: exit-left
I don't disagree other than there's more history of them doing pretty well than anyone around here wants to admit.

They’re the defending conference champions until someone (Hopefully Texas) beats them.

Period.

The first goal is to earn entry in the conference championship game, then winning the championship itself.

If that means having to beat OU twice, then so be it.

All joking aside, don't you think either Sam was too far forward or Cosmi was too far back? That across the field throw had to be planned as a forward pass such that if the connection was not made it merely turns into an incomplete pass ... right?

And for the record, I was as happy as the next Longhorn after the score, high fiveing etc.
I thought it was going to be a double pass. I wonder if it was meant to be that, but the play turned into a run.

Reactions: Jack87
Herman needs to turn Sam loose in the running game. He needs double digit designed carries. I know it’s not ideal. But it is what is is. This running attack isn’t good enough to keep OU honest. If we play the game we played against Georgia we win. If not. Well, you know.
For this week, that might very well happen. I do worry about the rib injury. Not sure it has been talked about enough.

I found heath Leger’s joker to be much more maniacal, twisted, and seemingly intelligent. But mainly, that they were just two completely different films. The Dark Knight for me will go down as the much more memorable film but I liked The Joker.
That's more than fair.

Possess the ball. Be more physical. Make OU play the game it doesn't want to play.

Could not disagree more with the idea of ignoring the running game.
Exactly, we need to wear out their defense running the ball and take time off the clock. We have the offensive line to do it.They will score probably quickly and have their defense on the field again where we can grind them down to putty

This is what makes Texas tough in the "big" games bc of our willingness to run Sam more. It provides an added dimension to the offense. This is and getting CJ back takes our offense to another level.

What is concerning this yr tho is that we hate to admit it but OU's defense might be as good or better than our D right now due to our injuries and youth.

... The Big 12's third best team will apparently be handed around from week to week between Oklahoma State, Iowa State, Baylor and Texas Tech. None should be trusted.

Baylor, IMO, clearly has the better resume so far. Beating ISU then on the road @ Manhattan is pretty impressive in this debate.

The rub in trying to run the football against the Sooners, especially early in the game, is the reality that the Texas running game isn't the most consistent or potent aspect of its offense. In trying to establish the run against the Sooners, there's some risk that you're bringing a knife to a bazooka fight. I know that a number of you want to disbelieve that these Sooners are all that and a bag of chips on the offensive side of the ball, but I'm here to tell you ... OU's offense is legit. Hurts is legit. Those receivers are legit.

simply put, the best way to defend their offense is to keep it on the sidelines. Personally, I like our chances to take some of the air out of the ball on the ground. OU's D is susceptible in both the run and pass game. This is easily the best Texas O-line they've seen in years.

Johnson over Ingram and it ain’t even close. The cowboys looked bad but, if ever a fix was in, that was it. The Green Bay secondary mauled the Dallas receivers every play and not one flag. Dak’s last interception had Gallup being smacked in the helmet not once, not twice, not three times but, 4 times the defender slapped his helmet as they went downfield!
Typical Cowboy fan...blame the officials!

Perhaps, the presence of McCulloch bounces back this weekend against Oklahoma, but if we're being honest, 24 tackles, 1.5 tackles for loss, 0.5 sacks and zero created turnovers isn't good enough. It appears that the coaches decided it was time for change.

Sometimes at the end of the day, a student-athlete ends up being a much better student than athlete. If McCulloch does nothing of significance the rest of his Texas football career, he will still leave the 40 as a huge winner. Sounds corny, but oh well.

Reactions: HorntoWin
Oklahoma Offensive Plays Per Game:

Vs. Houston: 61
Vs. South Dakota: 69
At UCLA: 64
Vs. Texas Tech: 64
at Kansas: 66

@Ketch, question: If we factor in how many of these snaps ended in a score (% scored), would that perhaps be a helpful indicator as to the importance of snaps per game? If OU scores TD's on a higher % of their snaps, then perhaps their snap count would be lower due to quick scores. I'm thinking about this various ways, makes my brain bleed a bit.

simply put, the best way to defend their offense is to keep it on the sidelines. Personally, I like our chances to take some of the air out of the ball on the ground. OU's D is susceptible in both the run and pass game. This is easily the best Texas O-line they've seen in years.
I wonder if the right side of the line didn't get exposed a little this weekend. Curious to see how they respond on Saturday.

Reactions: JHop6714 and Jack87
Sometimes at the end of the day, a student-athlete ends up being a much better student than athlete. If McCulloch does nothing of significance the rest of his Texas football career, he will still leave the 40 as a huge winner. Sounds corny, but oh well.
No doubt about that. Kind of kid we all want our sons to be.

Reactions: Jack87
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT