ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (It's all about Herman vs. Riley this week...)

No. 9 - The List: Top 10 Comic Book Movie Acting Performances ...

In honor of this weekend's release of Joker, I thought I'd rank my top 10 all-time comic movie acting performances.

10. Brandon Lee (The Crow)
9. Ryan Reynolds (Deadpool in Deadpool)
8. Gene Hackman - (Lex Luthor in Superman)
7. Robert Downey Jr. - (Tony Stark in Ironman 3)
6. Hugh Jackman Wolverine in Logan)
5. Alfred Molina (Doc Oc in Spiderman 2)
4. Christopher Reeve - (Superman in Superman II)
3. Michael B. Jordan (Killmonger in Black Panther)
2. Joaquin Phoenix (The Joker in Joker)
1. Heath Ledger (The Joker in The Dark Knight)​

Killmonger was a great character, and Jordan played his part in that, but he had some.. meh.. moments in that movie as an actor. For my money give me Chris Evans as Captain America in Winter Soldier. I also loved Chris Hemsworth as Thor in Avengers: Endgame.

@Ketchum For 6 months you have been saying you favor Texas in this game because Sam is the best qb on the field.

Seems you are changing your mind on both those fronts. When exactly did you change.

I'm not necessarily arguing with where you are now- just wondering when you flipped.

Dallas didn't lose that game because of no-calls.
The offense wasn’t hitting on all 8, but there was a lot of contact that was not called... We were getting momentum, and defense was
Dallas didn't lose that game because of no-calls.

The “forward” pass where he just shuffled the ball to avoid a sack was a bad call. The db’s were making contact way past 5 and early contact not being called killed drives....Dallas was not playing well, but was getting momentum until that last int......(the 3rd) Lol.... either let them play, but call it both ways....

I wouldn't say Riley has left Herman in the dust. Texas was in the dust under Strong. Riley more or less reloaded and continued winning the Big 12. Herman has had a rebuild. Herman beat Riley in recruiting and in Oct when he was the underdog. Herman has gained more ground in 3 years but he is still behind until he wins the Big 12.

Believe OU misses the homerun of Brown WR but the defense is better against lesser teams. We'll see if they are a little better or much better on D. Their QB and OL losses haven't been an issue so far.

At RB, Texas should put an OR on the depth chart and start our hot hand RoJo if he has a good week of practice.

I agree Herman and Co will need to out coach OU, especially because of our numerous injuries in the secondary. But our players must step up and execute at a high level similar to last Oct. Every scoring opportunity matters when facing this OU. Will be interesting to see if we start out stacking the box to stop the run and get QB pressure or use more safety help in deep coverage. I hope we mix it up but mostly aggressive while being mindful of situational football.

1. Alabama
2. Ohio State
3. LSU
4. Clemson
5. Oklahoma
6. Georgia
7. Texas
8. Notre Dame
9. Florida
10. Penn St
Current scorecard

Conference titles

Tom 0
Lincoln 2

Heisman winners

Tom 0
Lincoln 2

Playoff appearances

Tom 0
Lincoln 2

Head to head

Tom 1
Lincoln 2

Reactions: JHop6714
Killmonger was a great character, and Jordan played his part in that, but he had some.. meh.. moments in that movie as an actor. For my money give me Chris Evans as Captain America in Winter Soldier. I also loved Chris Hemsworth as Thor in Avengers: Endgame.
I thought Jordan carried a lot of the movie. He was spectacular.

@Ketchum For 6 months you have been saying you favor Texas in this game because Sam is the best qb on the field.

Seems you are changing your mind on both those fronts. When exactly did you change.

I'm not necessarily arguing with where you are now- just wondering when you flipped.
I think a healthier Texas is better-suited to win in December than October. Not having Jalen Green and the full a-list secondary in a groove is my biggest concern. It's been a different assortment of character each week, not by design.

Current scorecard

Conference titles

Tom 0
Lincoln 2

Heisman winners

Tom 0
Lincoln 2

Playoff appearances

Tom 0
Lincoln 2

Head to head

Tom 1
Lincoln 2
C’mon, Ketch,

let’s account for the fact that Tom actually had to build the program back up from 3 consecutive losing seasons - a program that had become used to losing and lacking in offensive talent....

While Lincoln Riley, who’s undoubtedly elevated the OU program, nonetheless inherited a conference winning program accustomed to winning - taking over his first year with Baker Mayfield already well established.

Riley has done a fantastic job. I’m not knocking him at all, but let’s add context to your scoreboard.

Reactions: roughorangie
C’mon, Ketch,

let’s account for the fact that Tom actually had to build the program back up from 3 consecutive losing seasons - a program that had become used to losing and lacking in offensive talent....

While Lincoln Riley, who’s undoubtedly elevated the OU program, nonetheless inherited a conference winning program accustomed to winning - taking over his first year with Baker Mayfield already well established.

Riley has done a fantastic job. I’m not knocking him at all, but let’s add context to your scoreboard.
Man, the bottom line is the bottom line.

There's no curve here in the history books.

Man, the bottom line is the bottom line.

There's no curve here in the history books.
I get that and the standard at Texas should be that high, and it will be in short order - in terms of championships (conference and national) but Tom started having to rebuild the culture, locker room leadership, rebuild the offense from the ground up, hell even rebuilding the old and out of date decor inside their building.

Its fair to call scoreboard last year to now, because they did meet in the conference championship game, but Tom shouldn’t have that first year count against him imo.

Riley had a pretty sizable head start on the marathon, but Tom is slowly closing that gap.

That said, what Tom and Texas does in this game and going forward is absolutely fair game.

Yesterday nearly made my head explode.
Yes, the tell tale sign of poor coaching is a team that consistently invents ways to put themselves behind the 8 ball. I lost count yesterday.

This is a reasonable post.
Geoff, I'm confused on the tone in all the responses here. This game comes down to Riley vs Herman per the 10 thoughts and I read that to be fairly optimistic. However, now Herman is merely a "good" coach and can't work miracles is seen as a reasonable stance. Why does he need to work miracles if his talent is equal to or greater than OU? The responses in this thread seem to be very pessimistic in regards to our chances. Sounds like we need to brace for two more losses this season. If this is the case, we are flat lining from last year which of course given our recent history is still fantastic. When do we take the next step?

I think a healthier Texas is better-suited to win in December than October. Not having Jalen Green and the full a-list secondary in a groove is my biggest concern. It's been a different assortment of character each week, not by design.

Totally reasonable, but as to the other point- when did your view that Sam is the best QB in the game change?

I get that and the standard at Texas should be that high, and it will be in short order - in terms of championships (conference and national) but Tom started having to rebuild the culture, locker room leadership, rebuild the offense from the ground up, hell even rebuilding the old and out of date decor inside their building.

Its fair to call scoreboard last year to now, because they did meet in the conference championship game, but Tom shouldn’t have that first year count against him imo.

Riley had a pretty sizable head start on the marathon, but Tom is slowly closing that gap.

That said, what Tom and Texas does in this game and going forward is absolutely fair game.
The good news is that Tom can make up a lot of ground by the results in 2019. It's in his hands.

Totally reasonable, but as to the other point- when did your view that Sam is the best QB in the game change?
I think this had a lot to do with it.

EGTyimLXYAAZXHx

However, now Herman is merely a "good" coach and can't work miracles is seen as a reasonable stance. Why does he need to work miracles if his talent is equal to or greater than OU? The responses in this thread seem to be very pessimistic in regards to our chances. Sounds like we need to brace for two more losses this season. If this is the case, we are flat lining from last year which of course given our recent history is still fantastic. When do we take the next step?
I would focus more on the bigger picture set of thoughts instead of a nitpicking of words.

Also, telling someone that they are being reasonable is not a co-sign for every thought. It just means you can see that a person is being reasonable.

JMO.

Exaggeration Ketch.

Texas left Nebraska in the dust.
10-4 in the series.
Winning 9 of last 10 and currently the last 6 in a row.

Riley may leave Herman in the dust but he hasn't done it yet. They were 1-1 last year. Herman has the higher ranked recruiting classes in 18, 19 and 20. Herman inherited a mess but he is gaining ground on Riley.

Time will tell if Herman can catch Riley and pass him but we are closer to OU than we were under Strong.

Last edited:
Reactions: SarkAfterDark
Exaggeration Ketch.

10-4 in the series.

Riley may leave Herman in the dust but he hasn't done it yet. They were 1-1 last year. Herman has the higher ranked recruiting classes in 18, 19 and 20. Herman inherited a mess but he is gaining ground on Riley.

Time will tell if Herman can catch Riley and pass him but we are closer to OU than we were under Strong.
I don't think the NFL views it as an exaggeration. I don't think most college football fans think it is, either. I can understand why Texas fans might.

OU has had the better recruiting class 2 of the last 3 years. I think starting where he did, coupled with the board maybe over estimating our talent leads us to underestimate how far Herman has come. Maybe not a miracle worker but a 'damn good coach' who has made this game nationally relevant again. Herman is awesome, Riley is awesome, and we have this series trending (and just about there) to where is was from 01-08.

Reactions: Ben3490
Exaggeration Ketch.

10-4 in the series.

This. “Left in the dust” means OU has increased their lead. That’s simply not true, if anything Texas is gaining ground and is much closer now than where we were when Herman was hired.

“Left in the dust” is going to age like “overmatched”.

Yeah, I'd say it's in my top two 2019 movies in that respect.​

...The other being...? OUATIH?

Also, @Ketchum do you see any concern with how the end of these games have been going. Granted, Texas has secured the win and playing conservative. But I see other teams ending games with leads with pride, and defenses shutting down opposing offenses and not letting them score. With the game basically over, we allowed WVU to score a TD. Then we managed to score another to go back up by 18. Then we let WVU score AGAIN before finally securing the onside and taking a knee. Is this a focus issue? A finishing with pride issue? Lots of other teams in NCAA CFB get to the end of games with leads and don't just start letting their opponent score at will.

Reactions: exit-left
So based off your rankings you would take Florida and Trask over Texas and Ehlinger??

...The other being...? OUATIH?

Also, @Ketchum do you see any concern with how the end of these games have been going. Granted, Texas has secured the win and playing conservative. But I see other teams ending games with leads with pride, and defenses shutting down opposing offenses and not letting them score. With the game basically over, we allowed WVU to score a TD. Then we managed to score another to go back up by 18. Then we let WVU score AGAIN before finally securing the onside and taking a knee. Is this a focus issue? A finishing with pride issue? Lots of other teams in NCAA CFB get to the end of games with leads and don't just start letting their opponent score at will.

Lots of other teams in NCAA CFB get to the end of games, and lose.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT