ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (It's all about Herman vs. Riley this week...)

The truth of the matter is that Riley has somewhat left Herman in the dust through two seasons, given that the task for each coach was quite different upon their arrivals at their respective head coaching office.

Riley slipped behind the wheel of a recent vintage Ferrari, with owners hungy to win championships. All that was needed was a fresh, aggressive driver.

Herman was handed the keys to a 4-door 1983 Cadillac sedan, with prosperous owners who were content surfing on success from decades before, and who didn't demand championships. Herman had to build a modern race car from scratch.

We'd all love to see Herman outfox Riley this Saturday. But considering how far behind he started, it could be a season or more before Herman's construction project is far enough along for his driving skills to be fairly tested against Riley's.

Last edited:
Reactions: DanielSucks
Riley slipped behind the wheel of a recent vintage Ferrari, with owners hungy to win championships. All that was needed was a fresh, aggressive driver.

Herman was handed the keys to a 4-door 1983 Cadillac sedan, with prosperous owners who were content surfing on success from decades before, and didn't demand championships. Herman had to build a modern race car from scratch. It remains to be seen if Herman's construction project is far enough along yet for his driving skills to be fairly tested.
I think you're underrating the job that Riley has done.

Numbers aren't everything for sure but the talk of physicality and OU hasn't seen anything like our D - our D is currently 104th is total defense. If Sam is the best player on the field which we all think he is, why not just get into a track meet and put the game is Sam's hands?

Numbers aren't everything for sure but the talk of physicality and OU hasn't seen anything like our D - our D is currently 104th is total defense. If Sam is the best player on the field which we all think he is, why not just get into a track meet and put the game is Sam's hands?
I'm not sure Sam is better than Hurts.

That's probably a push.

Reactions: Craben
Sometimes at the end of the day, a student-athlete ends up being a much better student than athlete. If McCulloch does nothing of significance the rest of his Texas football career, he will still leave the 40 as a huge winner. Sounds corny, but oh well.
No doubt about that. Kind of kid we all want our sons to be.
GREAT pair of posts there gents. Kudos to you both!
And also to EVERY young man who puts in the time, blood, sweat and tears it takes to put on the burnt orange- no matter their level of play.

The big question is this. You and everyone (not counting Aggies) in Texas rate Texas over Penn State. Everyone east of the Mississippi is rating Penn State over Texas. Explain why we are correct.

The big question is this. You and everyone (not counting Aggies) in Texas rate Texas over Penn State. Everyone east of the Mississippi is rating Penn State over Texas. Explain why we are correct.
I simply didn't think much of them when watching the Pit game/

Johnson over Ingram and it ain’t even close. The cowboys looked bad but, if ever a fix was in, that was it. The Green Bay secondary mauled the Dallas receivers every play and not one flag. Dak’s last interception had Gallup being smacked in the helmet not once, not twice, not three times but, 4 times the defender slapped his helmet as they went downfield!
Agreed, very poor ”no calls”.....I was tired of Aaron Rogers smirk, cameraman loved him some AR

All joking aside, don't you think either Sam was too far forward or Cosmi was too far back? That across the field throw had to be planned as a forward pass such that if the connection was not made it merely turns into an incomplete pass ... right?

And for the record, I was as happy as the next Longhorn after the score, high fiveing etc.

Cosmi was not eligible to catch a forward pass. So it was executed as planned.

Certainly you are joking.
Kind of. I suppose I'm just giving some benefit of the doubt to the danger that throwing a backwards lateral to your left tackle and the risks that exist.

Kind of. I suppose I'm just giving some benefit of the doubt to the danger that throwing a backwards lateral to your left tackle and the risks that exist.

I'd say the risks of throwing a lateral to your LT is far less than that of then having him throw the ball downfield. BTW, it was clearly mean to be exactly what it was. If you look at the rest of the OL, they sell the flow very well before taking off the other way to get downfield and block for Cosmi.

I'd say the risks of throwing a lateral to your LT is far less than that of then having him throw the ball downfield. BTW, it was clearly mean to be exactly what it was. If you look at the rest of the OL, they sell the flow very well before taking off the other way to get downfield and block for Cosmi.
It was a tongue in cheek remark.

Yes, it was meant to be a run.

Insofar as Garrett goes the writing was on the wall at least 2 years ago. This year him still being the coach is particularly egregious since the Cowboys have one of the most talented {if not the most talented} teams since the Aikman/Smith/Irvin glory years. Leave it to Jerry the Genius, right. :mad:

Insofar as Garrett goes the writing was on the wall at least 2 years ago. This year him still being the coach is particularly egregious since the Cowboys have one of the most talented {if not the most talented} teams since the Aikman/Smith/Irvin glory years. Leave it to Jerry the Genius, right. :mad:
Yesterday nearly made my head explode.

Dallas didn't lose that game because of no-calls.
I don’t know if they did or didn’t but, I can say for certainty that our db’s do not get away with mugging receivers every single play. Go back and watch and then let’s talk.

I wouldn't say Riley has left Herman in the dust. Texas was in the dust under Strong. Riley more or less reloaded and continued winning the Big 12. Herman has had a rebuild. Herman beat Riley in recruiting and in Oct when he was the underdog. Herman has gained more ground in 3 years but he is still behind until he wins the Big 12.

Believe OU misses the homerun of Brown WR but the defense is better against lesser teams. We'll see if they are a little better or much better on D. Their QB and OL losses haven't been an issue so far.

At RB, Texas should put an OR on the depth chart and start our hot hand RoJo if he has a good week of practice.

I agree Herman and Co will need to out coach OU, especially because of our numerous injuries in the secondary. But our players must step up and execute at a high level similar to last Oct. Every scoring opportunity matters when facing this OU. Will be interesting to see if we start out stacking the box to stop the run and get QB pressure or use more safety help in deep coverage. I hope we mix it up but mostly aggressive while being mindful of situational football.

1. Alabama
2. Ohio State
3. LSU
4. Clemson
5. Oklahoma
6. Georgia
7. Texas
8. Notre Dame
9. Florida
10. Penn St

Reactions: exit-left
ADVERTISEMENT