ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (It's all about Herman vs. Riley this week...)

OU has had the better recruiting class 2 of the last 3 years. I think starting where he did, coupled with the board maybe over estimating our talent leads us to underestimate how far Herman has come. Maybe not a miracle worker but a 'damn good coach' who has made this game nationally relevant again. Herman is awesome, Riley is awesome, and we have this series trending (and just about there) to where is was from 01-08.
I'm not sure why you are trying to sell me on Herman. I'm fully aware of what he's done.;)

This. “Left in the dust” means OU has increased their lead. That’s simply not true, if anything Texas is gaining ground and is much closer now than where we were when Herman was hired.

“Left in the dust” is going to age like “overmatched”.
Context matters. What happens this season matters.

...The other being...? OUATIH?

Also, @Ketchum do you see any concern with how the end of these games have been going. Granted, Texas has secured the win and playing conservative. But I see other teams ending games with leads with pride, and defenses shutting down opposing offenses and not letting them score. With the game basically over, we allowed WVU to score a TD. Then we managed to score another to go back up by 18. Then we let WVU score AGAIN before finally securing the onside and taking a knee. Is this a focus issue? A finishing with pride issue? Lots of other teams in NCAA CFB get to the end of games with leads and don't just start letting their opponent score at will.
a. Yes.

b. I think Texas runs the table outside of these two OU games that loom. Texas has the upside to win them all.

So based off your rankings you would take Florida and Trask over Texas and Ehlinger??
No, but I'd rank them ahead of Texas for being undefeated and winning its biggest game against a Top 10 team.... something Texas hasn't done.

Hackman as Lex Luthor is number one by a long shot and Tom Hardy as Bain is #2 the ledger. I hate Joaquin Phoenix and that hairlip
Hackman was on my list and was probably No.12, but fully deserving of top 5-ish.

Reactions: Kelly1972
No, but I'd rank them ahead of Texas for being undefeated and winning its biggest game against a Top 10 team.... something Texas hasn't done.

That doesn’t make sense... wouldn’t you rank teams based off who you think is the better team?

That doesn’t make sense... wouldn’t you rank teams based off who you think is the better team?
I don't really know yet who is the better team between those two.

Ask me on Sunday.

Typical Jason Garrett trash today in Big D. The Cowboys were poorly prepared. The team was completely undisciplined (including Garrett on the sideline). Oh, and he struggled to count by intervals of 40 in a way that would allow him to plan for the needed game management once the Packers reached midfield on offense with about five minutes to go. Basically, Garrett is the red-headed version of Charlie Strong. We're being naive if we think this Dallas team has another unreached level under Garrett.

Well said.

Reactions: exit-left
I don't really know yet who is the better team between those two.

Ask me on Sunday.

Well you just said You’d take Texas head to head... not sure we’ll learn much from this weekend unless Texas pulls the upset. Florida will lose by 20+

Context matters. What happens this season matters.
Of course the season matters, but in what context has Riley left Herman in the dust? Do you agree Herman has improved his program more that Riley improved his?

Herman did have more room for improvement, a function of the mess he inherited. Riley was given a fully developed machine.

Of course the season matters, but in what context has Riley left Herman in the dust? Do you agree Herman has improved his program more that Riley improved his?

Herman did have more room for improvement, a function of the mess he inherited. Riley was given a fully developed machine.
a. I think I've laid out pretty clearly the context.

b. OU has been to the NCAA playoff three times, Riley has taken them two of the three. He's improved OU's recruiting profile at a time it was getting very stake. He's the most respected college coach in pro circles because everything he touches turns to gold.

You guys don't want to give him his love, and I get that, but he's been elite of the elite at Oklahoma. I would not describe Herman that way, at least not yet.

Riley is really good but the fact he stepped into a gold plated situation with a seamless handoff from A coaching legend with a program already fully built and ready to hum can’t be ignored. How he would be doing if he had to take over OU in a total dumpster fire condition that was proceeded by multiple 5 win seasons in a rebuild job won’t ever be known. That doesn’t downgrade the job he’s doing but it’s hard to compare to Herman. Now that CTH has Texas back to recruiting lights out, loaded with good young talent with more On the way, and already ranked top 10ish the next few years will say a lot provided Riley actually stays around spurning likely massive nfl offers

Riley is really good but the fact he stepped into a gold plated situation with a seamless handoff from A coaching legend with a program already fully built and ready to hum can’t be ignored. How he would be doing if he had to take over OU in a total dumpster fire condition that was proceeded by multiple 5 win seasons in a rebuild job won’t ever be known. That doesn’t downgrade the job he’s doing but it’s hard to compare to Herman. Now that CTH has Texas back to recruiting lights out, loaded with good young talent with more On the way, and already ranked top 10ish the next few years will say a lot provided Riley actually stays around spurning likely massive nfl offers
I'll be shocked if he matches the number of years Herman will spend in Austin.

When we talk about the seamless handoff, how much time did he have to prepare for being the head coach in year one... a year he produced a Heisman winner, a Big 12 title and a playoff appearance?

a. Yes.

b. I think Texas runs the table outside of these two OU games that loom. Texas has the upside to win them all.
I agree, but is it irrelevant what I mentioned regarding defense playing soft at the end of games

simply put, the best way to defend their offense is to keep it on the sidelines. Personally, I like our chances to take some of the air out of the ball on the ground. OU's D is susceptible in both the run and pass game. This is easily the best Texas O-line they've seen in years.

What worries me is that Texas will call a conservative game on offense, trying to keep ou's offense off the field, and it will stall the offense. Too often we have been in sync, moving the ball, then after taking the lead, become conservative in the play calls and other teams know it and adjust their defense and stop us. We need to run the offense that allows us to move the ball the best, not change what we are the best at in order to play keep away. We are not to the point of being able to run whatever offense we what whenever we want.

Reactions: Number-5

a. I think I've laid out pretty clearly the context.

b. OU has been to the NCAA playoff three times, Riley has taken them two of the three. He's improved OU's recruiting profile at a time it was getting very stake. He's the most respected college coach in pro circles because everything he touches turns to gold.

You guys don't want to give him his love, and I get that, but he's been elite of the elite at Oklahoma. I would not describe Herman that way, at least not yet.

Some of 'us guys' say that it's orders of magnitude easier to step in and maintain or even improve a very well functioning organization than it is to rebuild one that's in shambles.

remains to be seen. I think sometimes you have the backups in and you allow points.
I can buy that. And in general I'm all positive on this team. But, it was a lot easier for me to stomach letting Ok St score late with their high-powered offense, before I saw them struggle so mightily against Tech. And I was way less able to stomach letting WVA score, one of the weaker offenses in the conference. So I wasn't sure how to look at those stats

I can buy that. And in general I'm all positive on this team. But, it was a lot easier for me to stomach letting Ok St score late with their high-powered offense, before I saw them struggle so mightily against Tech. And I was way less able to stomach letting WVA score, one of the weaker offenses in the conference. So I wasn't sure how to look at those stats
Of the things I'm concerned about for this team, that ain't really one of them, even though I do get it.

Reactions: JHop6714
@Ketchum - So how do you size up where we are now with what you reported back on Aug. 25th:

Even the vibe inside the Texas football walls seems to suggest that this team could be a year away, especially when you consider the volume of underclassmen contributing up and down the depth chart. This is a team with various kinds of questions at running back, tight end, offensive line, defensive line, linebackers and cornerbacks. I'm also not sure that Sam Ehlinger can stay healthy for a 14-game schedule.

Of the things I'm concerned about for this team, that ain't really one of them, even though I do get it.
It seems like this concern early, the inability for anyone but the starters to stop players on the field, really did bite Texas down the stretch. What wasn't expected was that the offense would let the team down (in games such as Oklahoma). We will see how these final few games play out...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT