ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (It's all about the damn implications...)

Agree. And when you read those OL stats under Saban, then you ask yourself, what has TH done so far to suggest that he knows how to break that stranglehold. Or the hold that ou has on the big 12 Championship? We are a have-not, and the chasm is widening.
I’m pretty sure we are just reverting to our historical mean... which is an incredibly hard pill for most people on this site to swallow.

Sadly we are at best 5 years from being elite again. That assumes it takes 3 more years of 7 and 8 win seasons before we finally show Herman the door. Also assumes we hire an elite coach to follow Herman.

Reactions: NativeTex and RUHP
What makes you think Urban Meyer will accept the Texas job if asked?
I think he would take it if offered. Imagine taking over a program that has been borderline dog shit the past 10 years. You lock down the state, which he would do easily and you are back to being relevant. Poach a few out of state studs and you have a national championship roster. Fix Texas, win a natty and do it at 3 different schools and he would go down as an all-time great.

The shitty thing is most Bama fans aren’t even celebrating their win. It’s just another day in the neighborhood for them.
They take ****ing their cousins extremely serious man.
n7ghq6mjyd011.jpg

It reminds me of the Parcells record quote about after the season you are what your record says you are. Only, it’s more, after a decade of subpar records, you are absolutely subpar. This is 100% a LOUD and RINGING indictment of Herman. They voted no confidence in the program with the yes to Bama and no faith in Herman by doing it now.

I believe in his assistants and who knows what 2020 looks like, but I like our chances with a decent O line, great talent on O and Sam slinging to keep the nose up for the year. After that, if Bijan is the truth, there’s a chance Herman keeps the post. But he increasingly feels like Mackovic to me. A bridge coach.

@Ketchum your first and goal at the three analogy is spot on. I compare that recruitment to the Seahawks at the 1 against the Pats in the super bowl. Saban is Malcolm Butler and we’re all standing around looking like Richard Sherman with that WTF look on our face.

The twins made a business decision. Committing to Texas would have been an emotional one.
As for timing, maybe they did Texas a favor so other OL prospects would know if they’d be competing against the twins year after year for playing time. Now other blue chip recruits can exclude that from their calculus. Yes, it stings now but can you imagine if we had all of our eggs in the Brocks’ basket—then whiffed on our backups?
We weren’t going to get them and it’s a blessing they committed now.

Reactions: RUHP and dougphelan
I think your buy/sells align to my gut bowing out, ie you would love to "get away" however you want to label it. But you can't obviously with your job. I really feel it right now for me, right now..
I really want to see this season. I want to see what Sam has in him in this moment.

Reactions: TilGabriel
If T Brockermeyer is as good as he and others think he is he’d be a first round draft pick no matter where he played. Ed Oliver was a first round draft pick playing at Houston. This wasn’t a pure business decision. They just don’t like UT.
^^^this

Herman may do enough to survive this, but this is a defining (and damning) moment. We’re not consistent on the field. Riley is a better offensive mind and he’s next door. Despite the wunderkind reputation, Tom’s O plans looks pedestrian—winning is hard. We’re recruited skill but can’t get a handle on either line. Our records include some super curious losses. Some good wins too. But more and more looking like a less mood swinging Mackovic. If Herman stays long term, it will be on the strength of the assistants. It’s hard to see a clear contribution from him beyond some philosophy and recruiting some skill dudes. Which isn’t awful. Just not going to get a title or statue.

Last edited:
Here’s another legacy whiff for Texas...JK Dobbins.

Cousin of Texas AA and college football HOF’er Johnny Johnson

2nd Cousin of then-current players Collin Johnson and Kirk Johnson

Cousin of another Texas starter from the 1980s (Johnny’s brother)
That's borderline for me, but if I feel you.

Blake’s is excuse does not make sense when you consider that his boys would have gone to CLEMSON is they had offered James. Alabama was their second choice.
I believe their thoughts on the matter have evolved. What existed six months ago doesn't matter now.

Really ? Then how do you explain the practice bubble

I define it as willing to make the decisions needed to win

if it was basketball hiring Chris beard last year as an example

for football going after a real top choice if Herman doesn’t kill it this year
What else is there besides the bubble?

It spent money on assistant coaching hires and support staff like it wants to win.

I really want to see this season. I want to see what Sam has in him in this moment.
And this year has some serious excitement (for me) not seeing the duh duh der defense plan from Orlando. As well as what it looks like when Sam gets to flip the ball to Whittington, Smith or Robinson.

The word has always been that he likes the Texas gig. Life is about timing, though.
Urban would CRUSH in the B12. games vs Riley would be epic. I think we’ve got two more of Tom for sure. So this is moot.

And in fact, given Sr Sam and Card, Robinson and Whittington still going, he might get an extension soon.

Reactions: Marshall07
Who in the world would pay that for a LaBaby trading card? There isn’t a million of those out there? He’s never going to eclipse MJ in popularity no matter what he does.

It's good to be the king.
No it’s a sad kick to the nuts for UT fans. Ironic thing is Bama fans thinks it will be business as usual when he’s gone. They’ve forgotten their years in the wilderness.

Reactions: c.c.rider
If T Brockermeyer is as good as he and others think he is he’d be a first round draft pick no matter where he played. Ed Oliver was a first round draft pick playing at Houston. This wasn’t a pure business decision. They just don’t like UT.
They don't like UT?

They literally attended the Alamo Bowl last year as fans.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT