ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (It's all about the damn implications...)

There brother is on the team and they are high school recruits and their parents are alumni. Not that big of commitment to go to a bowl game with free tickets. in your home state.

I agree with you that it is a huge problem for CTH and Texas that the football program is so far from the big time of Alabama and Clemson that Texas couldn’t close the deal with legacy recruits like the Brockermeyer Twins.

However, after last season there was nothing CTH or Herb Hand could do to change the recruiting issues with the twins this year. Texas lost the twins last year not this year.

Unfortunately for Texas, the Brockmeyer twins are front runners who want what they feel is a sure thing of success both in college and NFL draft by committing to Alabama. What they are forgetting is if they don’t deliver the goods or get injured Nick Saban will not remember their name. If they are as big of studs as they think they are the same winning opportunities and NFL opportunities exist at Texas that they are chasing at Alabama.

Hope they enjoy playing for that mercenary type coach and IMHO their choice of Alabama reveals some character weakness. Alabama has done nothing for this family while Texas has given their brother a scholarship, their father a football career, and mother a college degree and experience. Alabama is only offering a chance to play football. Nothing more and nothing less.

Not too mention living in Tuscaloosa versus Austin and the relative worth of the degrees.

in my opinion, it is far from ridiculous.
It's not based on reality at all and ignores the fact that Texas trailed pre-protests and that the state of Texas recruiting with elite prospects mirrors the recruitments of the twins, whether the prospects are black, white or any other color of the rainbow.

Listen - I get the disappointment of losing two guys that should've never had another school on their mind. But the reality is - we're not Alabama. Herman is not Saban. Legacy in this day and age is not what it once was and might not ever be there again. Kids are more educated than they used to be and obviously both of these boys were highly aware of what was in front of them. If I was in their shoes - it'd have been harder to walk away from Bama than it would be to say yes to Texas.

I still think it's possible that the brothers change their mind - but it would have to be convincing and I think you'd have to have two linemen that are projected to be good draft picks - 1st and 2nd round.

Having said that - one player or even two don't make a team. These guys could end up being busts and everyone here will have been crying for no reason. Let's be excited about the players we have - and the upcoming QB battle we're about to see. Eventually we'll get there but we didn't falter like this in one year - it took a couple of mediocre Mack Brown years, several awful years under Strong, and then back and forth under Herman. We are climbing back up - but we cant expect people to sign on just because our name is Texas... we have to BE TEXAS in order for it to matter to the kids who are coming of age who were under the age of 9 when Texas last played for a natty.

#hookem

Define committed?

It certainly invests money like it wants to win.
I would argue that Texas spends money to attract people to the games. Texas is all about the money. If season ticket sales and Longhorn Foundation contributions keep rolling in then that is the most important thing to the people in charge. Oh, they talk a good game about winning championships but they are completely comfortable with an 8-4 record as long as the money keeps flowing. For those wanting Herman gone, he is going nowhere absent a losing record. A record of 7-5 or 8-4 will likely keep him here a long time. Until the fans - those buying season tickets and making contributions - demand better, what you see is what you get. We may get worked up about this on OB, but the average fan just wants to come to the game, hang out with friends and have good time. If you want to see a school committed to wining championships, all you have to do is look at our nemesis north of the Red River. Winning championships in paramount to OU, no so much at Texas.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ben3490
You can watch the first two seasons on Peacock as well, which is what I did.

Good to binge, right?

Taylor Sheridan is a bauce writer/Director. His storylines hit on many current social issues as well and is laced with tasty and well-placed bits of humor, imo.

I would argue that Texas spends money to attract people to the games. Texas is all about the money. If season ticket sales and Longhorn Foundation contributions keep rolling in then that is the most important thing to the people in charge. Oh, they talk a good game about winning championships but they are completely comfortable with an 8-4 record as long as the money keeps flowing. For those wanting Herman gone, he is going nowhere absent a losing record. A record of 7-5 or 8-4 will likely keep him here a long time. Until the fans - those buying season tickets and making contributions - demand better, what you see is what you get. We may get worked up about this on OB, but the average fan just wants to come to the game, hang out with friends and have good time. If you want to see a school committed to wining championships, all you have to do is look at out nemesis north of the Red River. Winning championships in paramount to OU, no so much at Texas.
I hear you, but the money it spends in infrastructure suggests that it merely needs the right people and not intention.

But, I feel you.

Good to binge, right?

Taylor Sheridan is a bauce writer/Director. His storylines hit on many current social issues as well and is laced with tasty and well-placed bits of humor, imo.
I threw down 19 episodes in 3 days.

Edit: I forgot about the first four episodes of season three. So 23.

I didn't sleep a lot last week.

I threw down 19 episodes in 3 days.

Edit: I forgot about the first four episodes of season three. So 23.

I didn't sleep a lot last week.

Last night was a gut-puncher right off the bat.

The only coach?

Who else is there though that is truly available? I know we'll get the "Saban was interested in 2012" talk but it's still a lot easier said than done.

Urban, setting aside the optics, looks like the one option out there that is a slam dunk assuming Herman doesn't get it done whenever we have a season (or whenever his leash runs out).

If not, you're looking a lot of Herman-esque coaches again who haven't proved it on the big stage.

Who else is there though that is truly available? I know we'll get the "Saban was interested in 2012" talk but it's still a lot easier said than done.

Urban, setting aside the optics, looks like the one option out there that is a slam dunk assuming Herman doesn't get it done whenever we have a season (or whenever his leash runs out).

If not, you're looking a lot of Herman-esque coaches again who haven't proved it on the big stage.
I don't know the answer. I just flinched at the notion that unknowns don't exist just because they are unknown.

What a reveal. What a smart reveal, too, because it totally changes the impact of some prior scenes in previous seasons.

We cannot tell if or when Jamie comes clean about the forced condition of her decision which he withheld initially, right?

We cannot tell if or when Jamie comes clean about the forced condition of her decision which he withheld initially, right?
I think if Beth ever tells anyone, the shit hits the fan in ways that can't be known.

John might kill him. Rip might definitely kill him.

Reactions: M_A_G_A
I think if Beth ever tells anyone, the shit hits the fan in ways that can't be known.

John might kill him. Rip might definitely kill him.

True. The tension between Jamie and Beth would be exacerbated by his unanswered piece on Beth's question to him returning to the truck -- "any problems?" And her decision probably would not have changed but she never had that option on the spot.

There is an element of betrayal there that explains his untrustworthiness in her eyes and it is a piece Sheridan may revisit since it apparently was left unanswered.

I hear you, but the money it spends in infrastructure suggests that it merely needs the right people and not intention.

But, I feel you.
I hear you, too. They hit the jackpot with Royal and Mack. I sometimes wonder if there is some bad juju at work when it comes to Texas. OU has made a couple of bad hires, but mostly they have hit home runs, hiring up and coming assistant coaches. We, on the other hand, seem to specialize in hiring people not up to the task. I am not saying Herman will not succeed here, but to say there are no troubling signs would a bit of whistling by the graveyard IMO.

I hear you, too. They hit the jackpot with Royal and Mack. I sometimes wonder if there is some bad juju at work when it comes to Texas. OU has made a couple of bad hires, but mostly they have hit home runs, hiring up and coming assistant coaches. We, on the other hand, seem to specialize in hiring people not up to the task. I am not saying Herman will not succeed here, but to say there are no troubling signs would a bit of whistling by the graveyard IMO.
Herman wasn't a slam dunk, sure-thing when they hired him. He was just the hottest name at the moment and those two things aren't the same thing.

I'm not sure Texas has ever hired a sure-thing at the time of purchase. Those are hard to find.

Reactions: Santiam
Sadly we are at best 5 years from being elite again. That assumes it takes 3 more years of 7 and 8 win seasons before we finally show Herman the door. Also assumes we hire an elite coach to follow Herman.

It’s virtually guaranteed that if Meyer were coaching this year we win the big 12 going away. If he starts coaching next year we become at minimum OU, winning the big 12 consistently and in the college football playoff consistently. We need to once a for all show we are a top tier program and get a championship winning coach who actually produces championships.

that’s a dalliance not a dream. Sam wanted to right the ship. Johnson bro’s weren’t afraid to work against the odds. T shirt fans show up for the wins. And that has its own problems; see Blake Gideon era. But you can’t tell me they’re fans as in fanatics. Or dreamers like Sam. They’re opportunists who have an opportunity.

oL is a position of extreme need. We’re 1-3 vs OU and have a decent bowl record. We have Sam, Card JJ in the QB room. We have Bijan, Whittington and Smith for years.

We are just a few good players away From competing, heisman running etc and they still said no.

I agree that this is Herman, they don’t like the program and all that. But it just reinforces they’re another set of people demanding change from the outside instead of working for change on the inside.

Roll Tide.
I am hoping the tide succumbs to an oil spill..!!

Reactions: TilGabriel
Herman wasn't a slam dunk, sure-thing when they hired him. He was just the hottest name at the moment and those two things aren't the same thing.

I'm not sure Texas has ever hired a sure-thing at the time of purchase. Those are hard to find.

What would have happened if Herman had the same record that Saban had through his first 4 seasons at Michigan State..? 25 wins/ 22 loses.. & 3 straight Bowl Loses in weaker bowls..
This entire thing continues to be framed in very dishonest ways..
1995 Michigan State 6–5–1 4–3–1 5th L Independence
1996 Michigan State 6–6 5–3 5th L Sun
1997 Michigan State 7–5 4–4 6th L Aloha
1998 Michigan State 6–6 4–4 6th

I don’t believe that Texas has any bad juju.
We just have too many cooks in the kitchen - BMD’s, Regents, university officials etc., that all think they know what they are doing, but mostly do not.
We got lucky with DKR, an “up and comer” at the time, hiring him after whiffing on Duffy Daugherty and other big names of the day. It was Daugherty that recommended him.
But, after that, the group of idiots took over. They ignored DKR’s recommendation for Mike Campbell to succeed him, and brought in Akers, whom they subsequently sabotaged after a promising start. Then came one year wonder McWilliams, followed by Mackovic (maybe the worst fit ever). They would have f’ed up the next hire as well, all but offering the job to Gary Barnett until DKR stepped in an forced Mack Brown on them.
BTW - DKR also hired Coach Gus and Coach Reese. Not bad!
The moral is, there are too many competing factions at Texas who can’t/won’t cooperate for us to consistently make good decisions.

"I'm not sure Texas has ever hired a sure-thing at the time of purchase. Those are hard to find."

It's not just Texas. How many sure-thing hires at the time of purchase have been made by any school?

What would have happened if Herman had the same record that Saban had through his first 4 seasons at Michigan State..? 25 wins/ 22 loses.. & 3 straight Bowl Loses in weaker bowls..
This entire thing continues to be framed in very dishonest ways..
1995 Michigan State 6–5–1 4–3–1 5th L Independence
1996 Michigan State 6–6 5–3 5th L Sun
1997 Michigan State 7–5 4–4 6th L Aloha
1998 Michigan State 6–6 4–4 6th
He'd be fired if he was 25-22 through four seasons.

Reactions: Seminole1981
I don’t believe that Texas has any bad juju.
We just have too many cooks in the kitchen - BMD’s, Regents, university officials etc., that all think they know what they are doing, but mostly do not.
We got lucky with DKR, an “up and comer” at the time, hiring him after whiffing on Duffy Daugherty and other big names of the day. It was Daugherty that recommended him.
But, after that, the group of idiots took over. They ignored DKR’s recommendation for Mike Campbell to succeed him, and brought in Akers, whom they subsequently sabotaged after a promising start. Then came one year wonder McWilliams, followed by Mackovic (maybe the worst fit ever). They would have f’ed up the next hire as well, all but offering the job to Gary Barnett until DKR stepped in an forced Mack Brown on them.
BTW - DKR also hired Coach Gus and Coach Reese. Not bad!
The moral is, there are too many competing factions at Texas who can’t/won’t cooperate for us to consistently make good decisions.
I don't think the competing factions thing really exists like it used to.

Don't let the Brockermeyer's off the hook that easily. Other than riding the Bama Bandwagon of having a better chance of playing (wait, sitting on the pine for 2 - 3 years waiting your turn to play 1 or 2 years at most) for a better chance of playing in a National Championship Game, those boys could have achieved everything else they wanted at Texas.

And by the way, if the NFL doesn't work out, don't come back to the Texas money machine for a corporate job building on your contributions to our states top college.. You can work the Alabama business opportunity as your reward for going to Bama.

Reactions: horns--21
Few jobs in CFB are as good as the Texas job (resources and recruiting advantages). Texas has also been shit and he'd have the chance to resurrect it.

That's a very attractive combination to any coach.
He stepped down from a job with equal prestige. Not sure he would want to start from scratch again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT