ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (It's time for Herman to take back Dallas)

I don't believe Beck was the issue. He believes injuries and poor personnel were the offensive issues.

Ketch,

As smart as Herman is I'm not sure why he wants to blame injuries and personnel and not Beck. After all, Urban didn't trust Beck to call plays.

Plus if injuries are to blame why did Herman take over play calling for the bowl....if he thought Beck was doing well and injuries were to blame, there would have been no reason for Herman to call plays.

This whole thing is confusing.

BUY or SELL: Beck is the primary play caller at the end of the 2018 season?

(Buy) I think things are going to have to go way off the tracks on the offensive side of the ball for that role to be taken away by Herman and I don't think it'll happen. My prediction is that Beck is the primary play-caller, for better or worse, for all of the 2018 season.

If you are going to Buy for the entire season you must think the team is starting the season 6-2 because I don't think Herman will tolerate a 4-4 team with a mediocre offense and Beck calling plays.

If you are going to Buy for the entire season you must think the team is starting the season 6-2 because I don't think Herman will tolerate a 4-4 team with a mediocre offense and Beck calling plays.
I don't think anyone will tolerate 4-4.

Ketch,

As smart as Herman is I'm not sure why he wants to blame injuries and personnel and not Beck. After all, Urban didn't trust Beck to call plays.

Plus if injuries are to blame why did Herman take over play calling for the bowl....if he thought Beck was doing well and injuries were to blame, there would have been no reason for Herman to call plays.

This whole thing is confusing.
I think he just believes that last year didn't allow for Beck to show well.

Reactions: longhornrumble
I don't believe Beck was the issue. He believes injuries and poor personnel were the offensive issues.
Poor personnel... you mean like splitting Garrett Gray out wide or throwing to Cade Brewer, Jerrod Heard, Lorenzo Joe and Dorian Leonard for a combined 67 catches instead of getting the ball into the hands of CJ, RHM or LJH?

Reactions: horninco and asics
Poor personnel... you mean like splitting Garrett Gray out wide or throwing to Cade Brewer, Jerrod Heard, Lorenzo Joe and Dorian Leonard for a combined 67 catches instead of getting the ball into the hands of CJ, RHM or LJH?
Uncle! Uncle!

Reactions: txfight
While we're at it, CTH needs to recruit nationally better than ANY Texas head coach has ever done. It's time, it's smart, it's necessary, it's forward looking, and with the right commitment and resources, it's doable.
Agree completely.
Texas has a LOT of players, but we don't have ALL the players. Go large.

Reactions: Dualthreat
Yea, not suggesting an isolated approach. Just an anecdote from a slimball cheater who always did well stealing recruits from Texas. But everyone probably agrees that not just last year but most years, Houston is a goldmine of recruits.

Houston is a great recruiting area. However, for the last 15-20 years, there have been considerably more D-1 scholarships awarded to DFW recruits than from the Houston area. This past recruiting year was somewhat of an anomaly.

Actually, the info you needed to answer your question was there. That I needed to answer it for you is a you issue.

But you didn't answer it until I asked. Multiple times. You even said so yourself. The fact that you think you have higher ground here is a medical issue.

I really like Shaka but something is just not clicking. I mean the players say they love him but then you see the effort and it just doesn't add up.
The players loved Charlie and yet his own players didn’t play hard for him game to game.

Sometimes the players need to be chewed out for lack of effort.

Reactions: BobHorn
Houston is a great recruiting area. However, for the last 15-20 years, there have been considerably more D-1 scholarships awarded to DFW recruits than from the Houston area. This past recruiting year was somewhat of an anomaly.
Interesting. Didn’t realize that. The landscape has changed, indeed.

Part of me wonders if Herman wants to keep Beck as a scapegoat in case the offense craps the bed again, which, let's face, could easily happen with a not-much-upgraded-offensive-line and still no established QB.

I think our odds of starting another true frosh QB at some point this year are greater than 75% and with the loss of Connor Williams our O-Line could be just as dicey as 2017.

All true and none of it good.

Was there a priority prospect Texas and Tom really pushed from DFW? DaShaun White and and maybe Bobby Brown? I don’t think Tom really wanted DFW last year outside of DaShaun White a little too late. Will definitely be interesting to see how it unfolds this year with much more equal talent up there. I have no doubt he’ll fine, but it will be interesting. As will the rest of the state.
He drug his feet on White and it cost him. Should have offered months earlier.

I know this site is pretty much locked in on the idea Beck will call plays but I highly doubt Herman changed his stance on calling plays as a HC only to not call plays. Why open up that pandora's box? Why be criticized more if Beck starts slow? Why call plays in the bowl game but then give them back? I just get the feeling this site will pretty soon start running with that as a fact and I'm betting Herman calls plays.
Maybe Herman understands why the play calls looked bad at times. Maybe the plays were not exactly what Beck called?
Maybe Herman believes if he can have one starting QB and he understands how to make the correct adjustments to the call at the LOS, along with an an improved line, the team might get on a roll using an open playbook.
Tom has said he want to develop coaches as well as players. Let's see what he can do.
If it doesn't work out , he will make changes. Some might be a staff member helping call plays along with Beck.

So the moral to this story is Beck is staying because he has the best DFW connections to recruit, and TH thinks he can fix Becks playcalling (I hope) with some help from Hand?
That and improving the rest of the offense. The OL and having the QB making the right adjustments based on the defense at the LOS.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT