ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Let's Assume... dare I say... It's Cumbie)

My biggest disappointment with the defensive staff is their willingness to stick with older lesser players too long. Honestly, when you hear Bedford talk about the problems playing true frosh you hear a guy firmly stuck in an 80's mindset. Hill and Davis very well should have been starters/majority PT since game 2. Elliott's relative non-use after he was healthy is mind-bottling. Locke also should have played more.
totally agree. Charlie has some Mack in him in that respect.

totally agree. Charlie has some Mack in him in that respect.

Honestly, and I hate it that he got hurt, but it's probably a bit of a blessing that Santos got hurt in the spring. Lord knows we don't see Locke if Haines weren't hurt. Not to mention Warren when it comes to Gray. Just disappointing. At some point you HAVE to be able to see the very low ceiling your older starters and realize that a younger more talented player could bring a higher one.

So given all that, what is exactly Bedford's contribution to the program? He coaches 1/2 of the defensive backs and I don't think has been a plus on the recruiting trail.

If it's all Charlie's defense, then I would think the DC in title only would be a BAMF recruier. So if that's not happening, that's one more assistant coaching position we're wasting.
Hell Mack had just enough balls left to fire Manny Diaz, but Charlie Strong can't blow out Bedford after 2 years of this ? Is this where Strong blames the offense again for Bedfords defense ?

"Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Let's Assume... dare I say... It's Cumbie)"

@Ketchum Did you jinx this thing???

So, in the future, please refrain from saying "It's____________________." ever again. :D

One of the main reasons the Longhorn defense has sucked is that the Longhorn offense can't make first downs and sustain drives. The best defense is the one that stays on the sidelines while the offense wears out the other team. If Texas improves on offense next season, you can bet the defensive stats will improve dramatically.

Simple progress will not be enough.
Mike Perrin was on 104.9 this morning and echoed that he needed to see real progress, not lucky bounce progress and that numbers, i.e. wins and losses are important because winning cures all ills. It was a good answer from Mike, IMO.

"Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Let's Assume... dare I say... It's Cumbie)"

@Ketchum Did you jinx this thing???

So, in the future, please refrain from saying "It's____________________." ever again. :D
There are some pro-Gilbert guys wishing it to be true.

One of the main reasons the Longhorn defense has sucked is that the Longhorn offense can't make first downs and sustain drives. The best defense is the one that stays on the sidelines while the offense wears out the other team. If Texas improves on offense next season, you can bet the defensive stats will improve dramatically.
Ok, but let's not blame the offense for all of its ills, or youth for that matter.

Mike Perrin was on 104.9 this morning and echoed that he needed to see real progress, not lucky bounce progress and that numbers, i.e. wins and losses are important because winning cures all ills. It was a good answer from Mike, IMO.
I missed that this morning. Did he elaborate on the criteria or leave it open ended?

I missed that this morning. Did he elaborate on the criteria or leave it open ended?
He was asked if numbers were important to him as it relates to wins and losses for Charlie. Essentially asked him how Charlie would be evaluated in terms of the 2016 season. He said yes, numbers are important but wouldn't cement a number, but he said he wanted to see substantial progress or real progress and not lucky bounce (or dumb luck) progress (see Baylor win IMO). So, it sounds like we need to pass the win loss test and the eye test of real progress, not lucking into some wins. He did say he feels like we will see that, but it wasn't a great vote of confidence for Strong in his answer.

Reactions: Number-5
He was asked if numbers were important to him as it relates to wins and losses for Charlie. Essentially asked him how Charlie would be evaluated in terms of the 2016 season. He said yes, numbers are important but wouldn't cement a number, but he said he wanted to see substantial progress or real progress and not lucky bounce (or dumb luck) progress (see Baylor win IMO). So, it sounds like we need to pass the win loss test and the eye test of real progress, not lucking into some wins. He did say he feels like we will see that, but it wasn't a great vote of confidence for Strong in his answer.
Thanks!

I agree there are a lot of truths that can be hidden in a black and white win loss record. Good to hear that the intangibles will be considered as well.

It's just so weird, and maybe Ketch is really on to something with who's available, that if there is this much doubt we wouldn't have just moved on this year.

There are some pro-Gilbert guys wishing it to be true.

To me, Gilbert's offense makes more sense. I am hoping that Cumbie will adjust to our players (Tight Ends/ Hbacks) for his system.

However, it is not my decision or my money.

Just get it right Charlie and go win.

Thanks!

I agree there are a lot of truths that can be hidden in a black and white win loss record. Good to hear that the intangibles will be considered as well.

It's just so weird, and maybe Ketch is really on to something with who's available, that if there is this much doubt we wouldn't have just moved on this year.
Yeah, the OU win was legit, the Baylor win was a pin the tail on the donkey contest except Baylor didn't have a tail.

I think there were just too many in power that were already committed to giving him three years. The tide simply couldn't quite be turned. Besides, there will be a slew of names available next year, including people like Herman you could pluck that will have another year under his belt.

1. Can someone tell me why we were playing with one linebacker until the 4th quarter in the Baylor game when everyone knew they were going to run?
2. I hope Cumbie can develop some QBs!
3. Who are the ace recruiters on this staff?

on #2 - Ketch or any of our football minds here, help me out.

If this is CS's D, then what exactly is Bedford getting paid to do? Honest question, not dogging Bedford here. Is he a glorified position coach? Additionally, I believe the HC is there to HC, not coordinate any one side of the ball. Sure, there will be tendencies based on what side of the ball they came up on, but once they move on from Coord to HC, those responsibilities of the Coord also need to be passed along. I look across the landscape of FBS and see it everywhere - HC's who were great coord's at one point surround themselves with coord's once they move to HC. Saban did it with KS, Meyer with Herman - examples are everywhere. Why can't CS do that on the defensive side of the ball. Texas would spend 1M for an OC, because we flat out stink on that side of the ball - but, we're also no where near being a perennial power house on the D side as well. Why wouldn't you go out and find the best D-coord our money can buy and let them build that side of the ball up to where we want it to be?

Again, not trying to flame Bedford or CS or anyone of the staff, I'm just curious why we would continue to have a DC - when the D is purportedly exclusively run by the HC. And when said D is historically bad, why the HC is still empowered w/running the D.

… Sorry, Red Sox Nation, but I hate that David Price deal. I just don’t get paying an ace of diamonds price for the jack of clubs.

I don't care if he was best available. That is just too much money for what they are getting.

1. Can someone tell me why we were playing with one linebacker until the 4th quarter in the Baylor game when everyone knew they were going to run?
2. I hope Cumbie can develop some QBs!
3. Who are the ace recruiters on this staff?
a. There were two on the field, it's just that at least one was always running in the wrong direction.
b. That's why he would be here.
3. Jean-Mary, Vaughn and Traylor.

In a bad year for SEC quarterbacks, he ranks... what... fifth or sixth?
Is he a first round draft choice? Of course not. Does he have the best athletic skills of any qb in the SEC? Again, no. However, in the whole scheme of what he has done for his team in managing the games and getting players in the right position and the ball to the right playmakers, he is definitely #1 in the SEC. That is why Bama is in the final four and no one else is even close (and, yes, I know they have one hell of a defense).

Is he a first round draft choice? Of course not. Does he have the best athletic skills of any qb in the SEC? Again, no. However, in the whole scheme of what he has done for his team in managing the games and getting players in the right position and the ball to the right playmakers, he is definitely #1 in the SEC. That is why Bama is in the final four and no one else is even close (and, yes, I know they have one hell of a defense).
He's Greg McElroy 2.0

Reactions: _Ghost_
Ketch - I'm with you on both Creed and Spotlight. Both were damn good movies. Creed exceeded my expectations by far. I'd have Sly a little higher in my ranking on Best Supporting Actor.

The Heisman should be Christian McCaffrey, then everyone else. The kid is, without question, the best player in D1 this year.

A look at the numbers:

3,496 All Purpose Yards-(broke Barry Sanders' record.)
1,847 Rushing Yards, 8 TDs
540 Receiving Yards, 4 TDs
1,109 Return Yards, 1 TD
And for good measure, he has completed 2/3 passes, both completions for TDs

Odds are that Henry will win it, based on the fact that McCaffrey had a very good QB in Hogan where Alabama's passing game was very pedestrian, and Henry gets more pub at Alabama, but it's hard to look at what McCaffrey has done this year and not come away thinking he is the best player.

"(Sell) The Harsin hire was a better, elite-level hire"

Ketch,

2 part question >

1) Have you watched Boise St. play this year

2) If you have what possibly have you seen that would make Harsin's offense or his coaching performance close to "elite"

Harsin is no longer some abstract that failed at UT because of circumstances. There is a real life real coaching performance on a real field this year at Boise and there should not be any mystery why his name did not make any lists for all of multitude of open coaching job were open this year.

The Heisman should be Christian McCaffrey, then everyone else. The kid is, without question, the best player in D1 this year.

A look at the numbers:

3,496 All Purpose Yards-(broke Barry Sanders' record.)
1,847 Rushing Yards, 8 TDs
540 Receiving Yards, 4 TDs
1,109 Return Yards, 1 TD
And for good measure, he has completed 2/3 passes, both completions for TDs

Odds are that Henry will win it, based on the fact that McCaffrey had a very good QB in Hogan where Alabama's passing game was very pedestrian, and Henry gets more pub at Alabama, but it's hard to look at what McCaffrey has done this year and not come away thinking he is the best player.
Derrick Henry is the better player IMO and he just carried a sluggish offense to the playoff with the greatest season of any back in Bama history.

"(Sell) The Harsin hire was a better, elite-level hire"

Ketch,

2 part question >

1) Have you watched Boise St. play this year

2) If you have what possibly have you seen that would make Harsin's offense or his coaching performance close to "elite"

Harsin is no longer some abstract that failed at UT because of circumstances. There is a real life real coaching performance on a real field this year at Boise and there should not be any mystery why his name did not make any lists for all of multitude of open coaching job were open this year.
1. Not much.

2. I was speaking at the time the hires were made. Harsin had turned down multiple jobs and was viewed as a truly elite college OC.

Ketch - I'm with you on both Creed and Spotlight. Both were damn good movies. Creed exceeded my expectations by far. I'd have Sly a little higher in my ranking on Best Supporting Actor.
I thought the real star was Michael B. Jordan, but Sly was excellent.

McCaffrey has had to share stats with a top tier QB in Hogan. Coker was not a scrub, but the Alabama game was built around the run, and Coker is not on the same level with Hogan.
McCaffrey was a integral part of Stanford's passing attack with 41 receptions and also returned punts and kickoffs. Henry is a one-dimensional back; he had 10 receptions this year.

You don't break Barry Sanders record for all purpose yards by being one dimensional.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT