ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Let's have an honest talk about where things stand...)

There is always a massive amount of pressure for those that control the books for the athletic department that the athletic department not be wasteful in spending. They are always doing backflips for the academic side of the university.

Please provide a list of concrete actions the athletic department has taken to reduce wasteful spending, and explain how that directly benefits academics, and how much. Or even a few examples that you've had described to you. If you would please.

Metaphors about backflips don't really provide realistic/concrete information that enlightens meaningfully. No offense intended.

I do recall seeing on a UT Austin website that UT Athletics is one of the few self-sustaining athletic programs in America. That sounds remarkably successful at controlling spending compared to the peer group of athletic programs at American institutions of higher learning. I don't know if that tends to support or refute your comment about massive pressure, given the revenue stream Texas athletics generates.

No school's athletic department brought in more revenue during the 2017-2018 school year than the University of Texas. The Longhorns sit atop the newly released NCAA financial database, launched by USA Today on Monday. They brought in $219,402,579 in total revenue during the most recent fiscal year.

Shaka Smart is still here.

I don't think that is a list. Or always doing backflips. But thanks for your response.

I guess it qualifies as reducing spending compared to a buyout. But does it qualify as reducing wasteful spending? Not as sure about that.

I don't think that is a list. Or always doing backflips. But thanks for your response.

I guess it qualifies as reducing spending compared to a buyout. But does it qualify as reducing wasteful spending? Not as sure about that.
It's the checkmate moment in the discussion.

It's the checkmate moment in the discussion.

One debatable example proves an extreme, constant, pervasive effort and pattern? Checkmate?

Ha ha. "No quid pro quo". OK.

Author Antoine de Saint-Exupery wrote, “It is only with the heart that one can see rightly".

Texas has made it harder than other top tier programs have made it to be.
Other top tier programs don’t have an issue hiring Nick Saban, Urban Meyer or Barry Switzer. They’re looking for a winning football coach, not a pastor.

My dead mother was an editor.
What Ketch should have written to avoid ending a sentence with a preposition:
“The longhorns will not play another game [TO WHICH] the rest of the nation pays any attention”

Ketch no offense- I know you guys are under time pressure and you likely do not have editorial review.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT