ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Let's keep it real about Quinn)

Based on this IG song…looks like he’s playing against tcu? Lolol

Just trying to read the tea leaves here lol
I've been saying he's playing against TCU since last week.

Anwar outlined the sense of urgency in the War Room.

The 2007 team had many flaws and Colt was disappointing, but I never doubted his talent. Ewers hasn’t shown anything close to Colts level. This is why I compare him to Ehlinger. He never got better after his sophomore year. It’s not a knock on Ewers, I just don’t see a special player.

Ewers is significantly better right now than Colt was in 2007.

Exactly. It's not like we don't have examples of very inexperienced QBs coming in, playing at a high level and making their teams playoff contenders.

CJ Stroud - RS Freshman in 2021 - 317 of 441 (71.9%), 4435 yards, 44 TD, 6 Int, 186.6 Passer Rating
(0 pass attempts as a freshman)

Bryce Young - True Soph in 2021 - 366 of 547 (66.9%), 4872 yards, 47 TD, 7 Int, 167.5 Passer Rating
(22 pass attempts as a freshman)

Caleb Williams - True Soph in 2022 - 333 of 500 (66.6%), 4537 yards, 42 TD, 5 Int, 168.5 Passer Rating
(21 TD/4 Int, 169.5 rating as a freshman)

JJ McCarthy - True Soph in 2022 - 208 of 322 (64.6%), 2719 yards 22 TD, 5 Int, 155.0 Passer Rating
(5 TD/2 Int, 152.3 rating as a freshman)

Quinn Ewers - RS Freshman 2022 - 151 of 213 (58.1%) 2177 yards 15 TD, 6 Int, 132.6 Passer Rating
(0 pass attempts as a freshman)

A bit of a disappointing 2nd year for Quinn, considering that he was ranked higher than all of the guys listed above, coming out of high school. If he had played as well as McCarthy did last year, there's little doubt that Texas would have at least made the Big 12 championship game.
He's literally in the middle of the second-best passing season in Texas school history,

He was the number 1 recruit. He should be in the same conversation.
I do think we overrated him as a prospect. He had flaws in high school that have been issues in college and when I pointed them out back then, people were laughing me out of the room.

Don’t get me wrong. I love the song, but it’s just not my favorite by them.
Ok Fine Sport GIF by UFC

Ewers is significantly better right now than Colt was in 2007.
I don’t disagree with that, but I’m not expecting Ewers to become a playmaker like Colt did. We have AJ McCarron at the helm with Ewers. A solid player who manages the game. You can win national championships with that. Will he be more than that? Doubtful.

That's sort of the point. The seasons listed for each guy was Year 2 in college, not the NFL. Although they were all lower rated recruits than Ewers, they were extremely good players from the moment they hit the field as True sophomores or RS freshmen. If you're a special player, it doesn't necessarily take years for that to show up on the field.

I will totally buy that he's not as good as his ranking said he should be.

I just think there's more in him that a little extra time in the oven and a little more seasoning might provide.

He could be Carson Palmer-ish.

I do think we overrated him as a prospect. He had flaws in high school that have been issues in college and when I pointed them out back then, people were laughing me out of the room.
He’s playing more like a high 4 star IMO.

I don’t disagree with that, but I’m not expecting Ewers to become a playmaker like Colt did. We have AJ McCarron at the helm with Ewers. A solid player who manages the game. You can win national championships with that. Will he be more than that? Doubtful.
The thing is back in 2007, people were really, really down on Colt and believed that 2006 was kind of a fluke and that he wasn't gong to take a future step.

Sometimes you have to let these dudes slowly grow. Sometimes they don't, sometimes, they do.

Reactions: horns--21
I will totally buy that he's not as good as his ranking said he should be.

I just think there's more in him that a little extra time in the oven and a little more seasoning might provide.

He could be Carson Palmer-ish.
Carson Palmer was the number 1 overall pick and a Heisman Trophy winner. Say Quinn comes back next year and pulls that off wouldn't that justify his ranking?? Say he becomes a top 15 Pick in 2025 first Team All American & invited to New York for ceremony.

The thing is back in 2007, people were really, really down on Colt and believed that 2006 was kind of a fluke and that he wasn't gong to take a future step.

Sometimes you have to let these dudes slowly grow. Sometimes they don't, sometimes, they do.
I saw things in Colts game that gave me hope. I don’t see that with Ewers.

Carson Palmer was the number 1 overall pick and a Heisman Trophy winner. Say Quinn comes back next year and pulls that off wouldn't that justify his ranking?? Say he becomes a top 15 Pick in 2025 first Team All American & invited to New York for ceremony.
In Palmer's 3rd season (he redshirted his second season), he threw 16 touchdowns and 18 interceptions, while posting a 118.0 efficiency ranking.

Two seasons later, he threw 33 touchdowns and 10 interceptions.

Reactions: ARD438
I saw things in Colts game that gave me hope. I don’t see that with Ewers.

I don't recall many people talking about hope when he was outplayed by Josh Freeman at home that year and lost to OU the next week.

Or when they lost to A&M and he was 17 of 32 for 229 yards.

I'm not saying I don't believe you, but I wish we had some archives that allowed you to prove what you're saying.

I don't recall many people talking about hope when he was outplayed by Josh Freeman at home that year and lost to OU the next week.

Or when they lost to A&M and he was 17 of 32 for 229 yards.

I'm not saying I don't believe you, but I wish we had some archives that allowed you to prove what you're saying.
The great freshman season is what ultimately made me a believer.

The great freshman season is what ultimately made me a believer.
Except a lot of that was really flukey and dependent upon having so many big time players around him. The bloom off that rose started to come off by the end of 2006 and it carried into 2007.,

Reactions: ARD438
In Palmer's 3rd season (he redshirted his second season), he threw 16 touchdowns and 18 interceptions, while posting a 118.0 efficiency ranking.

Two seasons later, he threw 33 touchdowns and 10 interceptions.
Exactly there is a process to this. Bo Nix, Michael Penix are having stellar seasons but looking at their 2nd seasons as starters. Penix is a 6th year Senior, Bo Nix 5th Year Senior. I agree with you the best thing about the injury is Maalik's performance has left a lo to be desired and now all Texas fans may appreciate Quinn more and maybe that will help with the fan base. The bad part his he could have had some stat padding games against BYU and Kansas State plus the rest of the schedule TCU, Iowa State and Tech.

Except a lot of that was really flukey and dependent upon having so many big time players around him. The bloom off that rose started to come off by the end of 2006 and it carried into 2007.,
that 2006 team was loaded with talent everywhere. That team underperformed. Has the Big 12 Championship but the Colt Injury with final two losses at Kstate and Texas A&M really derailed that season.

They were ok. I'm defending Ewers in this thread, but his deep passing does kind of suck.
I don't think it sucks--that's an exaggeration. He's shown he can hit the deep ball--is it his strong suit--no, but I saying it "sucks?" It doesn't suck.

Ewers has tons of playmakers and they aren’t having big seasons. At least Colt made players better.

Ewers has tons of playmakers and they aren’t having big seasons. At least Colt made players better.
Prior to injury Quinn was on Pace have close to 4k yards passing the most in a single season and 26 passing touchdowns top 5 in single season. Adonai Mitchell and Xavier Worthy on pace to have both over 800 yards passing with Mitchell over 10 TDs. Are expectations (mine included) were extremely high but this team is producing. Brooks is top 6th rushing back in nation.

QE should absolutely return, but will ultimately leave when not ready.

IF Texas makes the CCG, I completely agree with you that they will be a tough out. I found myself checking the schedule over again and being so thankful that they weren’t on there. Well….

It’s a shame that going into Tuscaloosa and beating Bama is somewhat overlooked. Hell, they’re already ready to put Bama ahead of Texas in the rankings. Playoffs aren’t looking so good at the moment.
It is a shame. It's Texas squeaking by teams, some bad teams like houston, that is giving them trouble. It would help if they could win more comfortably the next three games.

He has improved, no doubt. I just don’t see him getting that much better. He doesn’t see the field well, which is why he doesn’t go through more than 2 reads, and he still has struggles with deep ball accuracy. He’s also injury prone, so you have to assume he’ll miss some games.
which specific games--this year--has he not seen the field well?

Prior to injury Quinn was on Pace have close to 4k yards passing the most in a single season and 26 passing touchdowns top 5 in single season. Adonai Mitchell and Xavier Worthy on pace to have both over 800 yards passing with Mitchell over 10 TDs. Are expectations (mine included) were extremely high but this team is producing. Brooks is top 6th rushing back in nation.
Not a single 1000 yard receiver this year or last. 800 yards is okay, but not what we should expect from this offense with this amount of talent. Brooks is a beast, but Ewers has nothing to do with that.

He has wide open receivers every game that he misses, hell, even Sark said that he’s not taking the shots that are there.
Every quarterback has wide open receivers--he can only throw the ball once per play, but his completion percentage is almost 71%. That's really good, and very low turnovers--that's not a quarterback that is having trouble seeing down the field.

And I don't remember Sark saying that he's not taking the shots that are there--he was critical last year, but not this year.

and saying that a quarterback isn't taking the shots that are there is not the same thing as saying that he's struggling with the deep ball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT