ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Let's keep it real about Quinn)

I don’t disagree with that, but I’m not expecting Ewers to become a playmaker like Colt did. We have AJ McCarron at the helm with Ewers. A solid player who manages the game. You can win national championships with that. Will he be more than that? Doubtful.
I don’t agree with that. He flashes huge playmaking ability. His issues are with being consistent, not with being limited. An honestly terrible comparison to AJ McCarron

Every quarterback has wide open receivers--he can only throw the ball once per play, but his completion percentage is almost 71%. That's really good, and very low turnovers--that's not a quarterback that is having trouble seeing down the field.

And I don't remember Sark saying that he's not taking the shots that are there--he was critical last year, but not this year.

and saying that a quarterback isn't taking the shots that are there is not the same thing as saying that he's struggling with the deep ball.
His percentage is high because he has turned into a checkdown machine. There are open receivers that he is not seeing. He’s not a difference maker and that’s okay. We don’t need him to be. We’re winning because he takes care of the ball, not because he’s putting up heisman level stats. His deep ball accuracy is not what it should be, but it’s better than last year.

I don’t agree with that. He flashes huge playmaking ability. His issues are with being consistent, not with being limited. An honestly terrible comparison to AJ McCarron
AJ McCarron is a pretty accurate comparison IMO. Ewers makes about one throw a game where you think “wow” but he will also have some throws that leave you scratching your head. He’s not a special player and that’s why he’s not seen as a 1st round pick.

Texas fan base is complaining about the defense. Against KSU we gave up 30 points with 13 points off of two bad turnovers deep in our own territory and than another 7 points off a punt block. Alabama gave up 28 points to LSU this weekend but get much more credit because it was LSU.

Texas fan base is complaining about the defense. Against KSU we gave up 30 points with 13 points off of two bad turnovers deep in our own territory and than another 7 points off a punt block. Alabama gave up 28 points to LSU this weekend but get much more credit because it was LSU.
Are you suggesting that LSU and KSU are equally good offenses?

AJ McCarron is a pretty accurate comparison IMO. Ewers makes about one throw a game where you think “wow” but he will also have some throws that leave you scratching your head. He’s not a special player and that’s why he’s not seen as a 1st round pick.
I was actually thinking of McElroy now that you mention it. But i still think Quinn flashes way more than you give credit for. The issue is consistency.

Are you suggesting that LSU and KSU are equally good offenses?
I am suggesting that KSU just came off of two weeks where they outscored conference opponents 84-3 and Texas Defense is getting crapped on for allowing 30 points while Alabama is playing better allowing 28 points.

His percentage is high because he has turned into a checkdown machine. There are open receivers that he is not seeing. He’s not a difference maker and that’s okay. We don’t need him to be. We’re winning because he takes care of the ball, not because he’s putting up heisman level stats. His deep ball accuracy is not what it should be, but it’s better than last year.
His completion percentage is high because he's completing passes--whether or not he checks down or doesn't checkdown.

He's a total difference maker--he was the major reason we beat Alabama--the marquee game of the year, in many years.
the second half of the ou game his numbers were off the charts great.

He's been the cornerstone of all of these games. And these last two games have really shown his absence. Maalik is not even close to Ewers--we need the guy back in a big way.

AND It would help if we had a secondary that could stop somebody. 🙂

I am suggesting that KSU just came off of two weeks where they outscored conference opponents 84-3 and Texas Defense is getting crapped on for allowing 30 points while Alabama is playing better allowing 28 points.
So yes, essentially.

I was actually thinking of McElroy now that you mention it. But i still think Quinn flashes way more than you give credit for. The issue is consistency.
I agree his issue is consistency. The question becomes will that part of his game ever get better? I tend to think it won’t.

His completion percentage is high because he's completing passes--whether or not he checks down or doesn't checkdown.

He's a total difference maker--he was the major reason we beat Alabama--the marquee game of the year, in many years.
the second half of the ou game his numbers were off the charts great.

He's been the cornerstone of all of these games. And these last two games have really shown his absence. Maalik is not even close to Ewers--we need the guy back in a big way.

AND It would help if we had a secondary that could stop somebody. 🙂
His stats suggest he’s a good QB, not great. He’s a game manager. He’s not going to light teams up on a consistent basis. The reason we struggled with K State is because we turned the ball over. This is what Ewers does best, but let’s stop pretending that he’s this generational or even great player because he’s not.

His stats suggest he’s a good QB, not great. He’s a game manager. He’s not going to light teams up on a consistent basis. The reason we struggled with K State is because we turned the ball over. This is what Ewers does best, but let’s stop pretending that he’s this generational or even great player because he’s not.
I think his stats (and results) show he's better than good. And I think you're underselling what he's done.

We see what happened without Ewers during the KSU game--damn near lost it--because we have an inexperienced and raw quarterback who plays loose with the ball and only had a 55% completion percentage in high school to begin with.

In his worst game, Ewers hasn't looked as bad as Murphy-not even close--even last year, when he didn't look good often times.

And yes, he has lit teams up this year--we're 8-1 largely because of him turning in big numbers, and coming up big in pressure situations.

Nobody has said that he's a generational player--but who really is? those guys don't come around very often. There are NO generational players at the college level this year. Is he going to be good in the NFL? Who knows? The odds against anyone being a great QB at the NFL level are low. But as a college player? I'll take him any day. Seeing some of these other slug QBs like what we have in the big 12, and I say, "glad we have Ewers."

And nobody is pretending about Ewers, he has flaws--in fact most have criticized Ewers extensively, and most are saying that he should come back so he can work on his development.

But he has a lot of talent that we have seen and has significantly improved since last year--and there's no reason to assume that he won't continue to improve.

One other thing-you say he doesn't make players around him better. Brooks, Mitchell, Worthy, have had really good seasons--and it's not over yet.

Ask Worthy how he feels in Ewers' absence.

Exactly there is a process to this. Bo Nix, Michael Penix are having stellar seasons but looking at their 2nd seasons as starters. Penix is a 6th year Senior, Bo Nix 5th Year Senior. I agree with you the best thing about the injury is Maalik's performance has left a lo to be desired and now all Texas fans may appreciate Quinn more and maybe that will help with the fan base. The bad part his he could have had some stat padding games against BYU and Kansas State plus the rest of the schedule TCU, Iowa State and Tech.
No doubt. I expected him to.

I think his stats (and results) show he's better than good. And I think you're underselling what he's done.

We see what happened without Ewers during the KSU game--damn near lost it--because we have an inexperienced and raw quarterback who plays loose with the ball and only had a 55% completion percentage in high school to begin with.

In his worst game, Ewers hasn't looked as bad as Murphy-not even close--even last year, when he didn't look good often times.

And yes, he has lit teams up this year--we're 8-1 largely because of him turning in big numbers, and coming up big in pressure situations.

Nobody has said that he's a generational player--but who really is? those guys don't come around very often. There are NO generational players at the college level this year. Is he going to be good in the NFL? Who knows? The odds against anyone being a great QB at the NFL level are low. But as a college player? I'll take him any day. Seeing some of these other slug QBs like what we have in the big 12, and I say, "glad we have Ewers."

And nobody is pretending about Ewers, he has flaws--in fact most have criticized Ewers extensively, and most are saying that he should come back so he can work on his development.

But he has a lot of talent that we have seen and has significantly improved since last year--and there's no reason to assume that he won't continue to improve.

One other thing-you say he doesn't make players around him better. Brooks, Mitchell, Worthy, have had really good seasons--and it's not over yet.

Ask Worthy how he feels in Ewers' absence.
I’m not underselling anything. His stats are a good but not great player. You keep mentioning Murphy in his second start with limited reps, which I understand, but Ewers had some awful games a year ago (OSU game). Ewers does enough for this team to win but he’s not a great player. Idk why you can’t see that. He’s not being talked about as a first or even second rounder. He’s not special. Btw, Worthy wasn’t going to come close to breaking 1k yards with Ewers. These players are elite, but they aren’t putting up amazing numbers with the exception of Brooks, which Ewers has nothing to do with.

The main reason I don’t believe he will get any better is because he has elite talent right now, and he’s nothing more than a game manager with them. If Worthy or Mitchell were on par for monster seasons than my assessment would be wrong.

I don't think it sucks--that's an exaggeration. He's shown he can hit the deep ball--is it his strong suit--no, but I saying it "sucks?" It doesn't suck.
He hasn't remotely showed that he can consistently hit those throws.

He hit two vs. Alabama and there hasn't really been a return to it.

Except McCarron never threw any wow throws.

which is why he went in the 5th round

LSU is loaded on offense.

He hasn't remotely showed that he can consistently hit those throws.

He hit two vs. Alabama and there hasn't really been a return to it.
And those two were huge--at huge moments. Those weren't the only two he's hit--he had a couple against ou as I recall.

I haven't disagreed with what you've said. I'm saying that you using the word "sucks" is a little overstated.
Slovis--now that guys sucks! That is my definition of a sucky qb--and that's just on example of some of the QBs in this league.

I’m not underselling anything. His stats are a good but not great player. You keep mentioning Murphy in his second start with limited reps, which I understand, but Ewers had some awful games a year ago (OSU game). Ewers does enough for this team to win but he’s not a great player. Idk why you can’t see that. He’s not being talked about as a first or even second rounder. He’s not special. Btw, Worthy wasn’t going to come close to breaking 1k yards with Ewers. These players are elite, but they aren’t putting up amazing numbers with the exception of Brooks, which Ewers has nothing to do with.

The main reason I don’t believe he will get any better is because he has elite talent right now, and he’s nothing more than a game manager with them. If Worthy or Mitchell were on par for monster seasons than my assessment would be wrong.
I never said he was a great QB--you said I said that--I never did. But I think he's very good and getting better as a college quarterback. You don't go into Tuscaloosa--smack 4&5 star players around who are coached by the greatest coach in history, and who haven't lost since, without having something. Not even this year--look what he did to them last year. Very few QBs have done that. That counts for something

You just don't like Ewers.

I never said he was a great QB--you said I said that--I never did. But I think he's very good and getting better as a college quarterback. You don't go into Tuscaloosa--smack 4&5 star players around who are coached by the greatest coach in history, and who haven't lost since, without having something. Not even this year--look what he did to them last year. Very few QBs have done that. That counts for something

You just don't like Ewers.
You are taking one game where he was very good and making it seem like he has played at that same level for the entire season, which he has not. He turned the ball over three times against Oklahoma and that is why we lost. So, you can’t take any one game and generalize their performance.

Except McCarron never threw any wow throws.

which is why he went in the 5th round
What round do you think ewers would be drafted? It’s a loaded Qb draft class, I think he could easily fall to 3rd-4th round.

And those two were huge--at huge moments. Those weren't the only two he's hit--he had a couple against ou as I recall.

I haven't disagreed with what you've said. I'm saying that you using the word "sucks" is a little overstated.
Slovis--now that guys sucks! That is my definition of a sucky qb--and that's just on example of some of the QBs in this league.

a. His receivers made those plays more than he did.
b. No, they really haven't thrown those vertical balls much since then.

LSU was leading college football in total offense and points scored entering the game (they are now 3rd in scoring).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT