ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Max Wittek's USC story... ALL of it.)

Originally posted by McGuapo:
Was dying for a piece like that on Wittek. Thanks. For me, it speaks of a guy desperately in need of development which he's never received and consistent reps to find out if he's more than a Jag with physical tools.

As a Mavs fan, I'm obviously thrilled and surprised at the series thus far. This is really all I could have expected and provides hope for a great finish. Man, the west is B-R-U-T-A-L.
a. I thought the most encouraging thing is that he did make improvements and make the competition at USC really tough on Kiffin. Considering, Kessler showed some flashes last season, I think there's reason for hope.

b. Yes, the West is almost not fair.
This post was edited on 4/28 10:12 AM by Ketchum

Originally posted by HI_McDunnough:
Thanks for the Wittek breakdown. If he comes here, I don't know if he will beat out Ash, but what I do know is that Ash has not been good enough at QB to where he does not need serious competition, and he does NOT have that right now with Swoopes. Once Wittek and Heard arrive, more will be expected out of the QB position than we have had in a while.
Amazingly, Mack thought the opposite the last two seasons...

He didn't want to shake Ash's confidence and he hated the idea of people talking about a quarterback decision.

The Wittek stuff was pretty sobering when reading it last night. Especially when you consider he'd only have a few weeks of actual practice with the team before the season starts.

Then again, maybe he just needs a change of scenery to get things going?

Texas could certainly use him, but people need to temper their enthusiasm a bit, IMO.

Originally posted by Ketchum:

Originally posted by mackbrown:

So Wittek is GG?
Perhaps a poor man's GG at this point. Gilbert won a lot of quarterback battles.
GG will be selected somewhere in the first 3 rounds of the draft.
This post was edited on 4/28 10:35 AM by CPHornfan

Originally posted by CPHornfan:

So Wittek is GG?
Perhaps a poor man's GG at this point. Gilbert won a lot of quarterback battles.
and he will be selected somewhere in the first 3 rounds of the draft.
Are you going out on a limb, or is that where he is projected? I don't keep up with the mocks.

You really did your research. Great job. Your findings more than confirm what I've been reading and hearing since his name first came up. Going back to his high school years and into his USC experiences, Wittek has always - always been a QB who completes just slightly more than fifty percent of his passes. And sorry, that just doesn't and will not 'get it'.

Besides that glaring sign, I read of no big time wins or come back victories that show what a QB is made of. Another stat missing was his average yards per completion. If you take those three factors together - completion percentage, avg. years/completion, and 'winnability factors', you'll see where any QB is and will be. Wittek doesn't look good on any of those three. Hope he chooses Hawaii or somewhere else other than Texas. I'd much rather have a less experienced young QB out there learning than someone like Wittek. Good write up. Sorry, no Wittek, please.

So Wittek is GG?

I'll take that bet. Wanna put up a "gentlemen's" $50?

So Wittek is GG?
How many rounds does the CFL draft have?

Re: Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Max Wittek's USC story... A

Originally posted by 2500Pearl:
I think we all under-appreciated Chris Simms.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com
speak for yourself. i always appreciated him.
He was speaking for me - just never really warmed up to Christopher.

Re: Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Max Wittek's USC story... A

Originally posted by Pap-a-lap:

Originally posted by 2500Pearl:
I think we all under-appreciated Chris Simms.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com
speak for yourself. i always appreciated him.
He was speaking for me - just never really warmed up to Christopher.
all these years later and your ass probably wishes he'd drive up in a limo and rescue this mess.
wink.r191677.gif

Wittek sounds more like Chris Sims than anything else. He has an NFL arm and is supremely confident in that arm to the point where he tries to force the ball into coverage. He has a tendency to lock onto receivers. He's not extremely mobile. But with all that, Sims was still a pretty decent QB.

Maybe with maturity, a fresh start and new coaches Wittek can improve in those areas and be a pretty good QB. Gilbert salvaged his NFL aspirations with a change of scenery, perhaps Wittek can follow the same script. My biggest concern about Wittek is his lack of mobility given the uncertainty of our offensive line. I'm afraid he will opt for trying to make the hero play more often than not when he (inevitably) get pressured.

Originally posted by Suchomel:
The Wittek stuff was pretty sobering when reading it last night. Especially when you consider he'd only have a few weeks of actual practice with the team before the season starts.

Texas could certainly use him, but people need to temper their enthusiasm a bit, IMO.
The short prep time is why they needed a JUCO transfer in February to work with the team through the spring. Mack's QB recruiting is just the gift that keeps on giving. The problem is also somewhat on CS for not recognizing the issue right away and jumping on it when he could. CS was overwhelmed with putting together this staff and keeping the 2014 class together, but the question I have is why didn't somebody (i.e., Patterson or somebody with knowledge of the current roster) take CS aside and give him the benefit of their knowledge, and how painfully thin we are at the QB position? Yeah, the JUCO ranks were not strong at QB, but there has to be somebody better than what we have now.

Originally posted by DeepEddyHorn:

The short prep time is why they needed a JUCO transfer in February to work with the team through the spring. Mack's QB recruiting is just the gift that keeps on giving. The problem is also somewhat on CS for not recognizing the issue right away and jumping on it when he could. CS was overwhelmed with putting together this staff and keeping the 2014 class together, but the question I have is why didn't somebody (i.e., Patterson or somebody with knowledge of the current roster) take CS aside and give him the benefit of their knowledge, and how painfully thin we are at the QB position? Yeah, the JUCO ranks were not strong at QB, but there has to be somebody better than what we have now.
Not necessarily. People act like D1 quality JUCOs are a dime a dozen. If the talent isn't there it isn't there. Going through spring football isn't going to make a marginal JUCO a better option than Heard or Wittek coming in the fall.

Originally posted by PBR_StreetGang:

So Wittek is GG?

How many rounds does the CFL draft have?
smile.r191677.gif

Something tells me ketch wouldn't have written such a comprehensive breakdown without at least some strong feeling that Wittek will be a horn.

we could have gone after Brandon Connette before his transfer..

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/18885/highlights/27388

Originally posted by UWeekly:
Something tells me ketch wouldn't have written such a comprehensive breakdown without at least some strong feeling that Wittek will be a horn.
well, yeah.
wink.r191677.gif

Originally posted by SA Horn:

Not necessarily. People act like D1 quality JUCOs are a dime a dozen. If the talent isn't there it isn't there. Going through spring football isn't going to make a marginal JUCO a better option than Heard or Wittek coming in the fall.
You don't think there was a single JUCO QB anywhere that was better than Swoopes or a true freshman? That's hard to believe. Even if they aren't significantly better, Texas is still in critical need of depth at the position.

His sole purpose was to get closer to his home in California (his mother has brain cancer). There was no way he would have considered Texas. And even if his transfer wasn't family related, Texas couldn't "have gone after" Connette. He would have had to reach out to Texas. You can't contact a player at another school who still has eligibility remaining. That's the collegiate equivalent of tampering and is against NCAA rules.

You might want to do a little research before throwing names out there. Your speculation implies that the coaching staff didn't do their due diligence with this kid when in reality there was an absolutely zero percent chance that the kid was even an option; much less inclined to come to Texas.

QB Brandon Connette to Fresno State

You don't think there was a single JUCO QB anywhere that was better than Swoopes or a true freshman? That's hard to believe. Even if they aren't significantly better, Texas is still in critical need of depth at the position.
Any JUCO that was worthwhile (and immediately eligible) was probably already signed before Strong was hired. And you are putting a lot of stock in the quality of JUCO competition or the experience of playing at that level. It's freshman and sophomores most of whom weren't highly recruited to begin with. No, I don't think that there was anyone left who is a better option than Swoopes or Heard. Not in January.

Originally posted by Hornius Emeritus
Ketch , the Wittek recap is outstanding, among the best things you've ever written.

I hope he chooses Texas. He stands a good chance of playing, I think.

I Concur. Great research!
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

I hoping that this shakes out as a kid getting away from a situation he was very unhappy and gets revitalized here at the 40.
A new start in a new environment may be just what this kid needs. He's a little older and has probably looked back at his time at USC and reflected on what he could have done differently and better. All I know about Lane Kiffen is what I've read but it appears to me he was handed the keys to a Ferrari and immediately drove it over the cliff. I don't think any player really flourished under is stint with the Trojans. I'm also thinking that Wittek would like to have the decision of signing with USC back. There's nothing like a fresh start to clear the mind and improve one's attitude.

=>> Yes, the Texas baseball team has been weighed, it has been measured and it has been found wanting.

Just a small attribution note. That quote from the movie actually draws from "the writing on the wall" from the Bible (Daniel 5:27):

"You have been weighed on the scales and found wanting."

Great write up Ketch, thanks for that.

The numbers definitely don't look promising, and I agree we can't look at Wittek as someone we're counting on to take the keys and drive us home safely this Fall. But, looking at it from Wittek's perspective, I have to agree with others who have pointed this out - USC was a hot mess when he was there, I saw it up close and personal (as up close as someone living in the area could get). With Barkley deciding to return his Senior season, Kiffin & the trojans had some lofty expectations, both locally and nationally (I want to say they were preseason #1). When the season quickly revealed it wasn't going according to plan, people jumped off that bandwagon like it was on fire and it was just a massive snowball effect from then on with Kiffin. I bring this season up simply because it ignited the toxic atmosphere Wittek found himself in. Kiffin had it coming from all different directions while Wittek found himself in this QB competition. That was very real. Personally, I don't think the proper coaching and development was there for all of the QBs (come on, all USC scholarship QBs are THAT bad?) and Kiffin was looking for a specific type of QB he just didn't have. Instead of naming a starter and properly developing him, they allowed this drama to continue. This did nothing but destroy the QBs confidence (notice the change in Wittek's tone of voice and enthusiasm as the years go by in those interviews?). After that first Hawaii game the fans came firing and the USC players, along with Kiffin and staff, appeared to be divided and defeated already. Look, the point I'm trying to make is Max Wittek has a god given set of tools. A set of tools that can allow you to be a very successful QB if put in the PROPER system and environment. He also makes a lot of mistakes, the type of mistakes that will lose you ball games. But those mistakes are the things great coaches and developers are willing to take a chance on because they are potentially fixable and preventable. Do I think he'll be the starter? No. Do I think he helps the QB depth? absolutely. He'll be in a MUCH better environment with, hopefully, much better coaching. Match that with his specific set of talents and the type of offense we appear to be running and I can see the upside. Definitely worth a shot IMO.

With Deep Eddy on this one, at least in terms of having a body for depth. In addition, although it now seems like a sure thing that Wittek enrolls at UT, there was no guarantee that would be the case back in January, and besides, what if Wittek comes up short and doesn't graduate? However, we don't know if CS/Watson looked and couldn't find anyone (e.g., maybe thought Thomas wouldn't be ready given ACL surgery in February; something we don't know about w/ other options). Having said that, and I'm thrilled that CS is the new coach, CS/Watson really should have turned over every rock (and again, maybe they did) given the situation they inherited from the CEO par excellence.

This post was edited on 4/28 3:17 PM by sawdin

His sole purpose was to get closer to his home in California (his mother has brain cancer). There was no way he would have considered Texas. And even if his transfer wasn't family related, Texas couldn't "have gone after" Connette. He would have had to reach out to Texas. You can't contact a player at another school who still has eligibility remaining. That's the collegiate equivalent of tampering and is against NCAA rules.

You might want to do a little research before throwing names out there. Your speculation implies that the coaching staff didn't do their due diligence with this kid when in reality there was an absolutely zero percent chance that the kid was even an option; much less inclined to come to Texas.
Guess you didn't do your research either...I was wrong to mention the word "transfer" in my post. You were wrong to mention "transfer" in your post.

"The media needs to stop mis-reporting these scenarios as "transfer." It is not a transfer. Connette graduated from Duke and is simply enrolling in graduate school at Fresno State. And, he has one year left of football to play. Student-athletes have five years from the time they begin college to play fours years of each and every sport they wish to play. Some players like Russell Wilson played three years at NC State and he graduated at the end of those three years so he played his fourth year of football at Wisconsin as a graduate student and that too was incorrectly reported as a transfer. In theory, Wilson could have stayed at Wisconsin for one more season and if there was a sport in which he had yet to play four years of he could have played a season of whatever that sports was for example track or basketball."

Guess people like you and I just do not understand the NCAA rules.

Sry to hear about his mother though...Hope she wins her cancer fight.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT