ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Max Wittek's USC story... ALL of it.)

Originally posted by CPHornfan:
Originally posted by SA Horn:

Originally posted by DeepEddyHorn:

Originally posted by Suchomel:
The Wittek stuff was pretty sobering when reading it last night. Especially when you consider he'd only have a few weeks of actual practice with the team before the season starts.

Then again, maybe he just needs a change of scenery to get things going?

Texas could certainly use him, but people need to temper their enthusiasm a bit, IMO.
The short prep time is why they needed a JUCO transfer in February to work with the team through the spring. Mack's QB recruiting is just the gift that keeps on giving. The problem is also somewhat on CS for not recognizing the issue right away and jumping on it when he could. CS was overwhelmed with putting together this staff and keeping the 2014 class together, but the question I have is why didn't somebody (i.e., Patterson or somebody with knowledge of the current roster) take CS aside and give him the benefit of their knowledge, and how painfully thin we are at the QB position? Yeah, the JUCO ranks were not strong at QB, but there has to be somebody better than what we have now.
we could have gone after Brandon Connette before his transfer..

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/18885/highlights/27388
His sole purpose was to get closer to his home in California (his mother has brain cancer). There was no way he would have considered Texas. And even if his transfer wasn't family related, Texas couldn't "have gone after" Connette. He would have had to reach out to Texas. You can't contact a player at another school who still has eligibility remaining. That's the collegiate equivalent of tampering and is against NCAA rules.

You might want to do a little research before throwing names out there. Your speculation implies that the coaching staff didn't do their due diligence with this kid when in reality there was an absolutely zero percent chance that the kid was even an option; much less inclined to come to Texas.
Guess you didn't do your research either...I was wrong to mention the word "transfer" in my post. You were wrong to mention "transfer" in your post.

"The media needs to stop mis-reporting these scenarios as "transfer." It is not a transfer. Connette graduated from Duke and is simply enrolling in graduate school at Fresno State. And, he has one year left of football to play. Student-athletes have five years from the time they begin college to play fours years of each and every sport they wish to play. Some players like Russell Wilson played three years at NC State and he graduated at the end of those three years so he played his fourth year of football at Wisconsin as a graduate student and that too was incorrectly reported as a transfer. In theory, Wilson could have stayed at Wisconsin for one more season and if there was a sport in which he had yet to play four years of he could have played a season of whatever that sports was for example track or basketball."

Guess people like you and I just do not understand the NCAA rules.

Sry to hear about his mother though...Hope she wins her cancer fight.
Nope. Not true. In section 14.1.8 of the NCAA Bylaws, it says that a graduate student is eligible to participate at the same school they got their baccalaureate degree from if they have eligibility remaining. In the following sub section (14.1.8.1) it outlines the One-Time Transfer Exception that allows a graduate student-athlete to continue their career at another institution. Whoever wrote that above is misinformed. Connette can not simply enroll at another school and participate in football. Perhaps it would not be considered a "transfer" if he participated in another sport, but to play football it most certainly is considered a transfer.

Decided to see what the whole Arcade Fire rage was for myself about a month ago, after not being crazy about Funeral when it came out (probably because my roommate played it ad nauseum). Amazing bad, and solid list. Only real omission to me is Afterlife, which is a top 5 type song IMO.

Originally posted by SA Horn:
Originally posted by DeepEddyHorn:

Originally posted by Suchomel:
The Wittek stuff was pretty sobering when reading it last night. Especially when you consider he'd only have a few weeks of actual practice with the team before the season starts.

Then again, maybe he just needs a change of scenery to get things going?

Texas could certainly use him, but people need to temper their enthusiasm a bit, IMO.
The short prep time is why they needed a JUCO transfer in February to work with the team through the spring. Mack's QB recruiting is just the gift that keeps on giving. The problem is also somewhat on CS for not recognizing the issue right away and jumping on it when he could. CS was overwhelmed with putting together this staff and keeping the 2014 class together, but the question I have is why didn't somebody (i.e., Patterson or somebody with knowledge of the current roster) take CS aside and give him the benefit of their knowledge, and how painfully thin we are at the QB position? Yeah, the JUCO ranks were not strong at QB, but there has to be somebody better than what we have now.
we could have gone after Brandon Connette before his transfer..

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/18885/highlights/27388
His sole purpose was to get closer to his home in California (his mother has brain cancer). There was no way he would have considered Texas. And even if his transfer wasn't family related, Texas couldn't "have gone after" Connette. He would have had to reach out to Texas. You can't contact a player at another school who still has eligibility remaining. That's the collegiate equivalent of tampering and is against NCAA rules.

You might want to do a little research before throwing names out there. Your speculation implies that the coaching staff didn't do their due diligence with this kid when in reality there was an absolutely zero percent chance that the kid was even an option; much less inclined to come to Texas.
Guess you didn't do your research either...I was wrong to mention the word "transfer" in my post. You were wrong to mention "transfer" in your post.

"The media needs to stop mis-reporting these scenarios as "transfer." It is not a transfer. Connette graduated from Duke and is simply enrolling in graduate school at Fresno State. And, he has one year left of football to play. Student-athletes have five years from the time they begin college to play fours years of each and every sport they wish to play. Some players like Russell Wilson played three years at NC State and he graduated at the end of those three years so he played his fourth year of football at Wisconsin as a graduate student and that too was incorrectly reported as a transfer. In theory, Wilson could have stayed at Wisconsin for one more season and if there was a sport in which he had yet to play four years of he could have played a season of whatever that sports was for example track or basketball."

Guess people like you and I just do not understand the NCAA rules.

Sry to hear about his mother though...Hope she wins her cancer fight.
Actually, even Graduate students, technically still need permission from their school (however, this is usually a formality). See here:http://www.athleticscholarships.net/2013/05/09/the-graduate-transfer-exception-vs-the-graduate-transfer-waiver.htm

Note that for the Graduate Transfer Exception (first one listed), the previous institution must not object to the one-time transfer exception. For the use of a Graduate Transfer Waiver (second one listed, in which student has already transferred once), previous school must not object AND student must enroll in a graduate program not offered at the previous school.

For example, Wittek had to wait until he received "Permission to contact paperwork from USC". See here:
http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-max-wittek-transfer-usc-20140129,0,3373423.story#axzz30Dv4LbmN

And sometimes (medical redshirt), players can have 6 years to complete 4 seasons (e.g., Kase Keenum).

What is ridiculous is that coaches can "transfer" at will (i.e, be immediately eligible to coach at a new school if they get a better job offer). The NCAA let's coaches "transfer" w/out a waiting period, but Division 1 football, basketball and ice hockey athletes cannot. This is especially ridiculous in cases in which player X commits to school Y b/c of coach Z, but when coach Z leaves the program to go to another school, player X has to wait a year to transfer.

This post was edited on 4/28 5:51 PM by sawdin

My gut instinct was that Wittek is not that great of a college QB. and I am even further convinced after reading Ketch's great write-up. I just am not seeing what all the fuss is about.

Originally posted by blueorder36:
My gut instinct was that Wittek is not that great of a college QB. and I am even further convinced after reading Ketch's great write-up. I just am not seeing what all the fuss is about.
I kind of felt the opposite. i thought the last year at USC seemed to show growth, which makes him a better option than Case.

My thought when watching Wittek as a freshman was that he had great size and arm and when he figured it out, he was going to be really good. I'm glad he's coming.

Originally posted by Ketchum:
I thought the most encouraging thing is that he did make improvements and make the competition at USC really tough on Kiffin. Considering, Kessler showed some flashes last season, I think there's reason for hope.[/QUOTE]
Ketch I agree, and it of course it's not easy when your 1st start as a redshirt freshman was vs. #1 Notre Dame with Manti

Originally posted by txnsoul:

I thought the most encouraging thing is that he did make improvements and make the competition at USC really tough on Kiffin. Considering, Kessler showed some flashes last season, I think there's reason for hope.
Ketch I agree, and it of course it's not easy when your 1st start as a redshirt freshman was vs. #1 Notre Dame with Manti
[/QUOTE]
He certainly has confidence.

Clooney's fiance is much smarter than the other hotties he allegedly has slept with...I still think he might just be gay.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Originally posted by Califashorn:
Clooney's fiance is much smarter than the other hotties he allegedly has slept with...I still think he might just be gay.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com

tumblr_mwuul8XtwT1qdlh1io1_400.gif

Originally posted by Junior Bonner:
Link to the Mozart list? Thanks!
I meant Bach. Listened to little Mozart this weekend.
Seems Mozart would be the obvious pick for next classical to tackle, probably followed by Tchaikovsky, no?

Originally posted by tex17:

Originally posted by Junior Bonner:
Link to the Mozart list? Thanks!
I meant Bach. Listened to little Mozart this weekend.
Seems Mozart would be the obvious pick for next classical to tackle, probably followed by Tchaikovsky, no?
I could see myself sneaking in Hilary Hahn just for myself.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT