ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (No excuses, time to whip OU)

9-4 or 10-3 win in 2023.

10-3 or 11-2; top 6 ranking and maybe playoffs in 2024.
That's best case scenario and assuming current players (and 5stars) don't portal out. I am not so sure the best case scenario for Jimbo plays out in aggieville.

Sorry, my comment was related to ou’s next hiesman winner coming off the bench. We are bartered fans, so we fully expect whomever replaces Gabriel off the bench to win a heisman and be in those stupid commercials for years to come.

Bijian is having a great year, but heisman talk is pretty much off the table now.
I gotcha. My bad.

Reactions: Number-5
@Ketchum, Michigan is 5-0 having played their first 4 games at home and one of the weakest 5 game schedules in the nation (112th I think.) Curious why you have them ranked ahead of some others such as Clemson or honestly a couple other schools behind them. What makes you think so highly of Michigan? I think they might end up deserving to be top 5 but as of now Im not sure what it’s based on.
I'm pretty meh on 5-10. You can flip them in any order and I'd be like, " I guess."

Reactions: LonghornLew09
5. Game of Thrones
4. The Sopranos
3. Better Call Saul
2. The Wire
1. Breaking Bad

Our top 5s are very close (identical 1-3), but I would slide Justified into the #4 spot, and bump Sopranos/GOT down one spot each.

As for the final 5 on your list, the problems with shows like the Office and SNL is that both have had multiple season droughts where they hover somewhere between not good to flat unwatchable. I love the Office seasons 1-7, and I loved SNL from around 1987-2007, but the last two seasons of the Office and the last decade of SNL have been bad enough to cost them some points in the legacy department.

Had the Office pulled the plug after season 7, I would call it the greatest sitcom ever. Because of seasons 8-9, I slide them in behind Seinfeld and Parks and Rec. And I would give the Veep spot on the list to Curb your Enthusiasm (personal preference)

Overall a very good list.

2005 comes to mind. That was one of Stoops worst OU teams against one of the best teams of all-time. OU was 2-2 going into that game and Peterson was limping around on one ankle.
did they give up 96 points in those two losses?

Our top 5s are very close (identical 1-3), but I would slide Justified into the #4 spot, and bump Sopranos/GOT down one spot each.

As for the final 5 on your list, the problems with shows like the Office and SNL is that both have had multiple season droughts where they hover somewhere between not good to flat unwatchable. I love the Office seasons 1-7, and I loved SNL from around 1987-2007, but the last two seasons of the Office and the last decade of SNL have been bad enough to cost them some points in the legacy department.

Had the Office pulled the plug after season 7, I would call it the greatest sitcom ever. Because of seasons 8-9, I slide them in behind Seinfeld and Parks and Rec. And I would give the Veep spot on the list to Curb your Enthusiasm (personal preference)

Overall a very good list.
I think the the comedy shows come down to re-watchability.

I've seen them all. If on a desert island, what am I taking with me?
The best of The Office is just in a different galaxy to all of them. Its low moments are not great, but it's highs can't be matched.

The best of The Office isn't chuckles stuff, it's ****ing roll on the floor laughing.

I think the the comedy shows come down to re-watchability.

I've seen them all. If on a desert island, what am I taking with me?
The best of The Office is just in a different galaxy to all of them. Its low moments are not great, but it's highs can't be matched.

The best of The Office isn't chuckles stuff, it's ****ing roll on the floor laughing.

Agreed. The Office and SNL have the highest peaks.

The No. 1-ranked Texas volleyball moved to 11-0 over the weekend with a sweep in Lubbock. Of those 11 wins, two were over the No. 6 team in the most recent rankings (Ohio State), while the team also has wins over No. 7 Minnesota and No. 9 Stanford. As it stands, Baylor is the only other ranked team in the Big 12.

=================================================================

So, I guess someone needs to tell Joey McGuire that apparently volleyball doesn't run through Lubbock.

The No. 1-ranked Texas volleyball moved to 11-0 over the weekend with a sweep in Lubbock. Of those 11 wins, two were over the No. 6 team in the most recent rankings (Ohio State), while the team also has wins over No. 7 Minnesota and No. 9 Stanford. As it stands, Baylor is the only other ranked team in the Big 12.

=================================================================

So, I guess someone needs to tell Joey McGuire that apparently volleyball doesn't run through Lubbock.

No one mentioned volleyball until page 8. But, if I had forgotten to mention their game from the weekend, I would catch some hit scolding. ;)

Ketch, I think your innuendo regarding the Ags willingness to spend 95 mil to buy out Fisher’s contract somehow translated to what you perceive to be the money flowing freely to recruiting is a cheap shot that doesn’t need to be stated in your column. I am a diehard Longhorn, can’t stand the Ags or the Sooners, but IMO that kind of crap is out of line, and wreaks of jealousy. Just my thoughts. Otherwise, you pretty much always write a helluva column

• Haha
Reactions: DKinnamon
Be Ohio State.
I think until the other team taps out you stay aggressive. And if we're being honest we could probably play 1st half offense/defense with 2nd and 3rd string guys getting mixed in which helps depth and helps for a hoping kids there's a path to the field rather than turtle with the 1s.

Ketch, I think your innuendo regarding the Ags willingness to spend 95 mil to buy out Fisher’s contract somehow translated to what you perceive to be the money flowing freely to recruiting is a cheap shot that doesn’t need to be stated in your column. I am a diehard Longhorn, can’t stand the Ags or the Sooners, but IMO that kind of crap is out of line, and wreaks of jealousy. Just my thoughts. Otherwise, you pretty much always write a helluva column
Ketch said the quiet part out loud.

Is it jealousy or a snide, yet truthful remark?

I'm not emotionally invested in their recruiting. In fact, I openly admit that I don't personally view them paying a kid before it's legal to be a big deal from my perspective vs. paying them a few months later the same amount of money. Paying is paying, all things being equal.

I think until the other team taps out you stay aggressive. And if we're being honest we could probably play 1st half offense/defense with 2nd and 3rd string guys getting mixed in which helps depth and helps for a hoping kids there's a path to the field rather than turtle with the 1s.
I'm all for very limited rotation.

Will be, huh?
I get that not every player pans out and some will transfer but if you combine the 21, 22 and 23 classes they will have 11 5* and 11 6.0, 4*'s on the roster. That competes with the LSU 2020 and Georgia 2022 NFL draft classes. l love Aggy tears more than anyone but if they get a QB out of the Portal how can they not be great?

I get that not every player pans out and some will transfer but if you combine the 21, 22 and 23 classes they will have 11 5* and 11 6.0, 4*'s on the roster. That competes with the LSU 2020 and Georgia 2022 NFL draft classes. l love Aggy tears more than anyone but if they get a QB out of the Portal how can they not be great?
Pretty massive rise between now and then.

Reactions: horns--21
Pretty massive rise between now and then.
All of your recruiting stats back it up. LUS is a perfect example of a mediocre coach winning it all with Burrow at QB and NFL talent stacked at every position. Tony Buzbee can buy Jalon Daniels at 1% of the cost of buying out Jimbo and mystery coach #2.

maybe they don't but you gotta admit they are smart enough to figure out that buying future first round QBs from the portal for the next 10 years is a lot less money than buying out Jimbo Fisher.
I do tend to agree with this. Who coaches the O, though?

I'm all for very limited rotation.
Interesting topic for a K&A sometime? I like more rotation than Sark and less than Tom. I'm also pretty big on run the regular offense and defense with the replacements in an NFL preseason manner. You still try to score you still try to stop not just bend not break but you're doing it to build legit depth.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT